Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,731 members, 7,955,778 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:48 PM

Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? (41021 Views)

Why Most Guys Don't Marry Their Girlfriends... / 10 Things Most Guys Do When Expecting Their Girlfriends / Is It Normal For A Male Virgin To Have Wet Dreams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 2:20pm On Jun 14, 2008
tngtech ,
Well, before he cooks for the week, we would go through what to eat for that entire week and then we would buy groceries together. Before he cooks, I prepare everything so that he just chuck it in the pot to cook (I cut and clean all meat/seafood, vegetables) so when he comes to the kitche, everything is ready for him to cook. When he is cooking, I set the table ready for meals. And then after that, all the pots and pans which he use, I will wash it while when he finish cook, he will serve it on the table. After we eat, he will wash all the dishes while I sweep and mop floor then when we both are done, I would pat his couch to give it volume and he makes tea for us to drink and watch TV.

The rest of the chores, its as long as this but thats how we've been working.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 14, 2008
i think mama is better than mum cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by tngtech(m): 2:24pm On Jun 14, 2008
jennykadry:

i think mama is better than mum cool

y?
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 2:26pm On Jun 14, 2008
mama? Jenny you serious? I think that sounds even funnier. grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by milknhoney(f): 2:26pm On Jun 14, 2008
my bf used to call me nne cry
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2008
@tngtech
it sounds romantic, wen d right guy say it wt d right tongue cool

@gabrwl
u need to hear those sweet men call women mama its sweet if pronounced well cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 14, 2008
roflmao grin grin nne?he must be an igbo guy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 14, 2008
the sweetest thing to say is 'baby mi' i just love that  kiss kiss kiss
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 14, 2008
baby mi ko,omo mi ni cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by skfa1: 2:30pm On Jun 14, 2008
Mummy mummy buhehe
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by skfa1: 2:31pm On Jun 14, 2008
What about omo nla , that sounds raw innit? hehe
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 14, 2008
jennykadry:

baby mi ko,omo mi ni cool
hehehe

ibkaye luuuuuuuurves it, especially with the sexy sweet naija accent  kiss kiss cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by mellow(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14, 2008
I don't honestly think there is anything wrong in calling expecially

your wife mum or mama. It is the man's way of showing the wife

love and endearment. Atleast, it is better than calling her angela

or Rebecca or Naomi or nneka. Just my opinion sha.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 2:39pm On Jun 14, 2008
Mellow,
How about calling you girlfriend mom or mama? Does that meant something special as well?

Jenny,
Ok, I gotta hear from my bf if he calls me mama then. Hehe!
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by tngtech(m): 2:50pm On Jun 14, 2008
Mom - Modern

Mama - Old Fashion.

I really don't sense romance in this callings.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 14, 2008
tngtech:

Mom - Modern

Mama - Old Fashion.

sounds corny lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 14, 2008
like i said me think ma-ma is berra than mum or mother, cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by milknhoney(f): 2:52pm On Jun 14, 2008
tngtech:

Mom - Modern

Mama - Old Fashion.

it shows that relationship is on a level that he feels he can call you that name. cause you are special to him like that.

1 Like

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by tngtech(m): 3:05pm On Jun 14, 2008
milknhoney:

it shows that relationship is on a level that he feels he can call you that name. cause you are special to him like that.

yea
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 3:22pm On Jun 14, 2008
I know that if he is in that serious mood, he will call me Mom
If he is in a normal mood, he will also calls me mom
if he wants to tease me, he'll call me mom AGAIN
if he is in that cheeky bugger look, he will call me Baby
If he is angry, he will call me GABRY SHANNON WONG YEN LI
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 14, 2008
I know that if he is in that serious mood, he will call me Mom
If he is in a normal mood, he will also calls me mom
if he wants to tease me, he'll call me mom AGAIN
if he is in that cheeky bugger look, he will call me Baby
If he is angry, he will call me GABRY SHANNON WONG YEN LI

he he he cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 5:26am On Jun 15, 2008
I'm still not convince. Some say yes and some say no but the majority is what?
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 15, 2008
@topic

Seriously, I don't know.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by studio43(m): 6:56am On Jun 15, 2008
i told my girl friend to pretend as if she's my wife the day she demanded to know why i had started calling her mom already grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Frizy(m): 8:56am On Jun 15, 2008
I can never call my wife that because my dad doesn't it. Ewa sey a mon mama wa moni?
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by RedHotChic(f): 9:53am On Jun 15, 2008
Seen one in naija movie that calls his wife 'ol boy'.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 10:14am On Jun 15, 2008
Olboy? Ok, now that sounds weird though as in Oi Boy? or Old Boy? Hope it has a better meaning than that. undecided
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Godalone(m): 2:30pm On Jun 15, 2008
I am a Yoruba guy but my wife is Ibo,i call her Nne.

1 Like

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 2:59pm On Jun 15, 2008
Uhm,  Sorry but how do you pronounce Nne? Is it like NEH? And what does that mean?
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by NegroNtns(m): 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2008
Gabryl,

A lot of times in our responses to your inquiries we forget that you are new to our culture and trying to learn and understand it. Our responses to you are often short and direct, lacking in fiber. The root of the usage of that word mom is a deep one. Africa is a land of rhythym, we are very intimate with nature. Nature is romantic. Our languages and tongues are spiced with that romance so that we use affectionate words and romantic terms to call onto one another. Physical atributes even become words of endearment. Like in Yoruba, Adu'madan for blackbeauty. If you have gap in your front teeth, which some cultures see as a flaw, you get Eji-wunmi for delightful teeth, Agun t' asholo for tall and lengthy for the fabric yardage. So when a man and woman are cohabiting or dating words of endearment between them take different forms. In the olden days, women are married off at early age to men well advanced in age. By custom, the age difference forbids her to call her husband by name. So she will address him as Baba Negro or Baba Gabryl or alternatively use a word of enderament as I already mentioned. He is not forbidden to call her by her given name but is free to exercise the desire to give his wife an endearing name, like Eleyinju ege for enchanting eyez. It builds bond and intimacy between the couples. I dont speak all the languages, but without exception we all carry this similarity in our individual customs.

You cool with that? cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 4:15pm On Jun 15, 2008
Hi Negro Ntns,

Thank you for your detailed response. Ok, I understand now so that means in Nigeria, when a guy calls his girlfriend mom, its actually a meaningful and deep one but for Malaysians, its an insult but I think as long as he meant well, than it should be okay. smiley

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by CrazyMan(m): 4:18pm On Jun 15, 2008
If I call my girlfriend mum; what do you expect me to call my real mother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Man Who Proposed To His Girlfriend At SARS Headquarters Finally Weds. Photos / The 'Girlfriend Question' My Cousin's Wife Keeps Asking Me / Husband Surprises Wife With Timi Dakolo House Appearance On Their Wedding Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.