Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,714 members, 7,955,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:50 PM

Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? (41020 Views)

Why Most Guys Don't Marry Their Girlfriends... / 10 Things Most Guys Do When Expecting Their Girlfriends / Is It Normal For A Male Virgin To Have Wet Dreams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 11:02am On Jun 16, 2008
I told him not to call me mom and guess what he calls me now. . . . . .

MAAA!!!

isn't that the same thing?
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by zignor(m): 11:12am On Jun 16, 2008
@mellow . . .longest time? hope you are cool cool cool cool

@poster . , which kind mom sad angry
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by manchibabe: 11:19am On Jun 16, 2008
@ post,
i dont see anything in calling me mum as long as it is not too often and it depends on d context in which it is used,

check out this scenerio

me: sweatheart remember to take the trash on ur way out

hubby: yes mummy grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 11:23am On Jun 16, 2008
He tells me that I am the bearer of his child thats why he calls me mom. We dont even plan to get married so I dont know. Now I;m confuse. . . undecided

And then he calls me African Queen and I was thinking uhm. . . Ok. . . That word is such a powerful word and I dont think I deserve it.

I dont really know what mom does he meant. undecided
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 16, 2008
@Gabrywyl,

gabrywyl:

He tells me that I am the bearer of his child thats why he calls me mom. We don't even plan to get married so I don't know. Now I;m confuse. . . undecided

And then he calls me African Queen and I was thinking uhm. . . Ok. . . That word is such a powerful word and I don't think I deserve it.

I don't really know what mom does he meant. undecided

I am beginnning to read some weird meaning into your post and I would advice that you cut some details out before some loud mouthed NLDers tell you what you may not want to hear.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by A3673(m): 11:58am On Jun 16, 2008
How!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by krama(m): 12:19pm On Jun 16, 2008
My mom dey kampe, so i don't need another
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by shylladear(f): 12:46pm On Jun 16, 2008
i dont think i will like my guy or husband to call me mom or maaa
its kind of wierd sad
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 1:23pm On Jun 16, 2008
Nevermind. . Just ignore what I said earlier.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by zignor(m): 1:44pm On Jun 16, 2008
@gabrywyl . . .try calling him daddy too undecided
maybe, it will balance the equation grin grin grin
besides, if you don't want to marry him, dump him now sad
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 2:22pm On Jun 16, 2008
Zignor,
Yes, to get back at him, I called him Dad/Daddy/Pa and he likes it!!! And so I raise up my game I called him Grandpa! And he even likes it more and just smiled the whole time. His family calls him grandpa. . .

NOOOO. . . . . I Do want to marry him for sure but not now. In my culture as a Chinese Malaysian, we make sure that we have everything stabilized before we get married. At this moment, we both are trying to build our careers and half way up there so I told him that we should build it up and stabilize it then we could get married since its not much long to go. For a couple of months we should be stabilized.

My culture thinks that way its because we want to ensure that after marriage, we have a stable home, stable income and stable enough to raise our own children. If we cannot guarantee that before marriage, we are a failed Chinese malaysian citizen. Its how we hold our status
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by yemivictor: 2:48pm On Jun 16, 2008
Somebody asked what those who called their girlfriends mom would call their biological moms!

I hereby propose . . . iya agba!! grin grin grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2008
What is iya agba? undecided
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Ebonyj(f): 3:28pm On Jun 16, 2008
The only time my hubby calls me "Mum" is when he is being sarcastic.

In answering your question though, I dont see anything wrong in a man referring to his wife/girlfriend.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by eminemkayc: 4:11pm On Jun 16, 2008
its bleeped up to call females mum!! what for? shocked
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by sistawoman: 4:38pm On Jun 16, 2008
Calling your girl/wife MA, Mum, Mommy are all terms of endearment here in the States. Just like women call thier men Daddy or Papi. When a man hears a woman say Papi they know they are in like flin. Plus here when there are children around they repeat what they hear so for my ex-husband to call me mommy when the children were young was understandable he was teaching our children how to respond to me. He also would call his mom grandma when the children were around again teaching them how to respond to me.

I used to love it when my ex-bf called me MA!!! but that is a slang used in NY quite a bit.

My husband now calles me babie.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 16, 2008
Creepy thread! *brrrrrrr*
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 4:52pm On Jun 16, 2008
undecided :-x
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by BTT(m): 6:47pm On Jun 16, 2008
i USED to like callin my g/f mom until she took seriously against it. she said it makes her feel older.

But i just felt very comfortable callin her mom. As far as i AM concerned, whether or not i call her mom, she still is my second mum. 4 God's sakes wu shud start trainin befor d kids start callin their mum "baby" as i do!

Anyway i'm careful wit the word. . .
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by omobamital(f): 6:53pm On Jun 16, 2008
I do have someone that calls me mum too.
It's fun & gives you sense of belonging.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Hardballer(m): 8:57am On Jun 17, 2008
why the hell wld i call my girl mom??
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by yemivictor: 11:53am On Jun 17, 2008
Hardballer:

why the hell would i call my girl mom??

Beats me . . . . .
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by 1luvkipsus: 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2008
Yeah, I call her that.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 17, 2008
it's weird
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by izeek(m): 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2008
mum is a way a guy resassures his wifey or girl tha t she is the only one and will remain so for ever.
it simply says he appreciates u more than u thingk,
its his way of making u feel relevant.
he only wants to confess how helpless he wud have been without u.

mum only means u are his world.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 17, 2008
mom is also what he calls that lady that kept him in her stomach for 9months, that gave birth to him

nah, 'baby' or 'sweets' is good enough smiley
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by omoovie(f): 6:40pm On Jun 17, 2008
Umm--------eee-------aaa-------da will likely creep me out. I'm the chick that rocks your world in the bedroom. I don't want to remind u of your mum! That's just so sick! Sha, depends on why or in what situation he uses it I guess like if we have kids and he says something like "no, go and ask mummy" to my kid it'd be OK. Any other instance, I think I'll pass.

izeek:

mum is a way a guy resassures his wifey or girl tha t she is the only one and will remain so for ever.
it simply says he appreciates u more than u thingk,
he only wants to confess how helpless he would have been without u.

If it means I'm his world then he can call me just that, "my world" or do like sum Igbo guys do and call a girl his wealth i.e. "aku m". Don't call me mum, mama, ma, mother, nne, iya mi, or any other mother word! It's just---creepy.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by spoilt(f): 2:17am On Jun 18, 2008
mom ke? i so do not look like his mom. more like his side kick! cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Cayon(f): 2:53am On Jun 18, 2008
Yes, especially if the girlfriend has kids for him. The guys is just following the kids to show respect
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by adesambest(m): 11:29am On Jun 18, 2008
my wife is wife and my mother is my mother, i think another cute would have been been better there a lot of pet names to claa some one's wife or girlfriend
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by yemivictor: 12:26pm On Jun 18, 2008
izeek:

mum is a way a guy resassures his wifey or girl tha t she is the only one and will remain so for ever. it simply says he appreciates u more than u thingk,
he only wants to confess how helpless he would have been without u.

For ya mind . . . . .
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by abolemma(m): 7:34pm On Jun 18, 2008
Thanks, but that is not ok!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Man Who Proposed To His Girlfriend At SARS Headquarters Finally Weds. Photos / The 'Girlfriend Question' My Cousin's Wife Keeps Asking Me / Husband Surprises Wife With Timi Dakolo House Appearance On Their Wedding Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.