Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44383 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 9:01pm On Sep 04, 2013
Lizylaw: I know I know something o! Atleast, I know I like food! Lol
lmao, me too ohsmiley
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 9:02pm On Sep 04, 2013
Gbamar: NAME GBAMAR

COURSE LAW

LEVEL (SEMI)300L

UNIVERSITY UNILORIN

Welcome.

Hoping to learn from you.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 9:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
My honarable barrister nd philosopher in the thread let topics/discusn start jumping in,really need to learn...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Claroo(m): 9:31pm On Sep 04, 2013
Nice Thread smiley
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 9:37pm On Sep 04, 2013
has anybody ever wondered why we spend 5 years studyin law jst to com out & discover its a total diff world,everytin sounds perfect in theory bt wah u experience is not as it ought 2b.i tink dah 'law as it&law as it ought 2b' is rily true#justSayinG
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by ikenga67: 10:00pm On Sep 04, 2013
lana_Vello: has anybody ever wondered why we spend 5 years studyin law jst to com out & discover its a total diff world,everytin sounds perfect in theory bt wah u experience is not as it ought 2b.i tink dah 'law as it&law as it ought 2b' is rily true#justSayinG

Good observation. My question to all of you young lawyers and lawyers to be remains, do you think that you are getting the training you need to play the very critical role society imposes on you? Do you think the legal profesion as a whole has failed the Nigerian people?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by ikenga67: 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
Maybe, we have got enough introductions and its time to talk about the profession and why you chose it in the first place and what you aim to achieve through it. I think that would be a more useful conversation.
For me, I never really cared much about the law. My interest was (and remains) history, government and public policy. I studied law then becuase it was kind of "sexy". Are some of you doing the same today?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 10:12pm On Sep 04, 2013
cimetidine: name- Emmanuel.
Age- 65
Sex- male,
Uni - jigawa state university
Course - Medicine-yoruba edu
Level - fresher
Year of graduatn - may, 2009
2go id - eavb10
Hello sir..
With due reverence sir,seems you are in the wrong thread.
This thread is strictly meant for law and philosophy students.Not medicine edu or whatever.

Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2013
lmao,yeah. actually idk bout oda places buh ova hia in akoka. there's this prestige & honor dat accompanies being a law student. months ago,most of my fellow freshers were so into d white&black shit nd "yanga" nd @d end of d semester flopped.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by ikenga67: 10:26pm On Sep 04, 2013
lana_Vello: lmao,yeah. actually idk bout oda places buh ova hia in akoka. there's this prestige & honor dat accompanies being a law student. months ago,most of my fellow freshers were so into d white&black shit nd "yanga" nd @d end of d semester flopped.

What level are you at right now? What is your personal assessment of the education you are getting? Do you have the feeling you are being empowered?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by ikenga67: 10:29pm On Sep 04, 2013
lana_Vello: lmao,yeah. actually idk bout oda places buh ova hia in akoka. there's this prestige & honor dat accompanies being a law student. months ago,most of my fellow freshers were so into d white&black shit nd "yanga" nd @d end of d semester flopped.

Have you taken cons law, criminal law, admin law and even tort? I really will love to have email cconversations with anyone that just recently took all or any of those. Just want to see if our law students are still being fed the same crap from 19th century British jurisprudence
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 04, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by antia4u2k5yaho: 10:54pm On Sep 04, 2013
(Nice thread)
NAME: Antia
SKUL: Unilag
COURSE: Philosophy
LEVEL: Just got admitted (freshr)
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by ikenga67: 10:58pm On Sep 04, 2013
Creative mind: Well, there is no point lying here. When it comes to getting student refined academically, the faculty of law in my school is not lagging behind. However, in the practical aspect, the school should work on it because if not international in nature, they take it with flippancy. Despite this, the collective effort of students led to the formation of a formidable moot, mock and debate team. We rehearse ourselves, call meetings, prepare for competitions and go on our own. Still with the little attention paid to us in the practical aspect, our record in moot, mock and debate in the past five years is remarkable. I think friends from OAU, UI, LASU, EKSU, EKPOMA and UNILAG can testify cos we've met on plethora of times. In addition, we've never lost in any competition. How do I mean by that, it's either we emerge victorious honourably or we don't at all. Yet, we pick the experience to become better for next time. So if we don't win the prize we gain the experience and also we don't rub people of their victory in our school because fair play helps a lot in making us grow. BAYERO UNIVERSITY, UNIZIK, UNN, NOUN, OAU, EKSU, OOU can testify to that. In conclusion, our academic stand is solid in law but the school is a bit relaxed on the practicals but as students, we've made a team that remains strong for now. We've produced 100 level students who won against 400 level students in competitions many times.

Good! But do you pause at times to wonder as to the proper role of the law in a constitutional democracy? Have you had reason to wonder if what the Police are doing are in consonance with what you have been taught in criminal procedure? If yo have taken cons law, do you have the feeling most of all that stuff na just gist?

What I am driving at, is do you guys think the law you are learning has much to do with the society you are supposed to practise in? Do you sense the paradox in the whole thing? Is it something we can start to change by changing the way we train our lawyers?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 11:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
antia4u2k5@yaho:
(Nice thread)
NAME: Antia
SKUL: Unilag
COURSE: Philosophy
LEVEL: Just got admitted (freshr)
wlcm.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 11:15pm On Sep 04, 2013
Lizylaw: Ma name is Liz, Part 2 law, Oau. Its a great thread. Goodjob at fynestboi. I jxt tink d legal profession is ovverated/overhyped. M a proud lawya in d making though.
good to ear from a classmate(thou i have no idea who u are because its nairaland)
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 11:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
Lizylaw: @Seun, d pple who r new in our class are direct entry students. I dnt tink any one crossd frm English to llb2. Changing to law is extremely difficult bt wt most pple do is while in 100lvl, dey take jamb agn.
i know the direct entry student(the old ones) but there are some guy i could bet my last money were not members of our class in part one but we were admitted together(i say this because i can recall seeing them in philosophy class)
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 11:26pm On Sep 04, 2013
Creative mind: . It isn't four years learning junior, it is 5. Don't be misguided. Though ignorance of the fact is an excuse anyway. Thank God for the guy that it isn't ignorance of the law because Ignorantia facit excusa, ignorantia juris non excusa .
Ignorantia facti excusat, ignorantia juris non excusat.
By the way,are you a UNILORIN graduate/undergraduate?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Claroo(m): 11:26pm On Sep 04, 2013
Creative mind: Well, there is no point lying here. When it comes to getting student refined academically, the faculty of law in my school is not lagging behind. However, in the practical aspect, the school should work on it because if not international in nature, they take it with flippancy. Despite this, the collective effort of students led to the formation of a formidable moot, mock and debate team. We rehearse ourselves, call meetings, prepare for competitions and go on our own. Still with the little attention paid to us in the practical aspect, our record in moot, mock and debate in the past five years is remarkable. I think friends from OAU, UI, LASU, EKSU, EKPOMA and UNILAG can testify cos we've met on plethora of times. In addition, we've never lost in any competition. How do I mean by that, it's either we emerge victorious honourably or we don't at all. Yet, we pick the experience to become better for next time. So if we don't win the prize we gain the experience and also we don't rub people of their victory in our school because fair play helps a lot in making us grow. BAYERO UNIVERSITY, UNIZIK, UNN, NOUN, OAU, EKSU, OOU can testify to that. In conclusion, our academic stand is solid in law but the school is a bit relaxed on the practicals but as students, we've made a team that remains strong for now. We've produced 100 level students who won against 400 level students in competitions many times.
Seconded......u are right padi
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 11:28pm On Sep 04, 2013
Creative mind: . Ignorance of the fact is an excuse but Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Thanks brother.
Ignorance of the fact excuses, ignorance of the law doesnt excuse.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Claroo(m): 11:29pm On Sep 04, 2013
AmiableJay:
Ignorantia facti excusat, ignorantia juris non excusat.
By the way,are you a UNILORIN graduate/undergraduate?
He is a graduate
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 11:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
Miracy: @fynest thumbs up***weldone for d gr8 job....

wow...really love this forum...
i salute all the barristers n philosophers in d house...love to learn from u all*takes a bow*

name-oluwatosinbello
institution-oau
course-law
level-fresher
cool
cool
You are here ma'am. ;-)
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by kolado(m): 11:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
Gelco: Name: Olivia
School: Uniben
Course: Law
Level: 200
Do u knw caesar in 300l?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:36pm On Sep 04, 2013

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 11:41pm On Sep 04, 2013
Claroo:
He is a graduate
Ohh! I see. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 11:49pm On Sep 04, 2013
Creative mind: . Let me start with this experience i had as a law student before i graduated few months back. Whenever a law student did anything then, even if it's a normal thing i.e buying fruit in public (not eating it) or you are spotted at a party or something, the noise is "HA! Yet you call yourself a law student", " imagine a lawyer at a party" etc. I once told someone even lawyers are not God, let alone law students. Don't misconstrue me, i'm not saying we should be seen peeling banana on the street or displaying multi-colour hair style in parties like any other students but one thing is, as much as SLEEPING in a garage doesn't make one a car and Speaking English doesn't make ladies the Queen of England, our knowledge of law doesn't vindicate us from our Nigerian heart. Now to the issue, it isn't about just the training in school that isn't sufficient but also some other factors. On most occasions, the sermon preached to you is "don't chase money when you become a lawyer, it will come". But have they ever considered what it takes Danjuma, Ngozi and Asake to become lawyers? Do they consider the loans procured by our parents to ensure we do not die the death of hopelessness or elongated hope syndrome? Now, i'm going to the law school by October and i know the hundred of thousands i'll sniff from my nose. I'm presently sure of two things, one is my parents can't afford it now and two is God will do it before then but ordinarily, ensuring law is followed stricto senso is justice on its own but how do you expect young lawyers to stand for justice when their parents seek loan to see them through? You expect them to see a poor woman whose daughter was raped and institute an action on her behalf knowing that she can't even afford a thousand naira? Or to subject the government to a legal battle when their action is against the law, knowing that if you're not on their side you hardly make it? No, i'm not saying we should neglect our core duty but i'm being realistic here. I know no matter what, i'm determined to be a lawyer of men and not desperate laurel and money chasing wig but how many people can do this? I've written plethora of articles to tackle the government in my little capacities. On Nation, Tribune, Sahara reporters, Africanoutlook and even you can see my write ups here but for how long can i do that if we keep on taking it as lawyers affair alone? Won't my brother vast in tailoring help me fight corruption? Is Chief Nkem not going to stop nepotism? Won't Alhaji Yaro desist from Tribalism? And what of Mr. Owonikoko's habit of graft and patronage? I think it is not just about the law, the lawyers or the law students. It is about our mind set as Nigerians. Remember that when a child grows in the midst of hostile relatives, he learns to condemn and people point to their house to seek solace. Let me end by the time-honoured truism of Judge J.W Donovan when he said "a lawyer of men must know much of life and much of human nature, he should be a notice in nothing and wide-minded in all things. Though not a genius but ripe in broad knowledge and General experience. If he is this and he fails, it will be no fault of his own". That general experience and broad knowledge is what is lacking. Let us look from within and see that leaving lawyers alone to tackle this menace is like SEARCHING FOR AN HONEST MAN WITH A STOLEN LANTERN. I humbly submit for Now. NOTE: Typed on my phone and i'm feeling dizzy, please neglect any negligible grammatical error.
I think the fundamental problem lies on the society. We need to cleanse our mindset from all these attitudes which I believe is the ultimate solution to most of our problems. Well, back to you, I believe you wont let the ugly circumstances deter you from fighting with every means within your capabilities Sir.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 04, 2013

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by damosky12(m): 12:32am On Sep 05, 2013
Creative mind: . I think I can argue this in law. However, that's if you tell me you don't want a graduate here. My argument then will be that the certificate is an evidence that will show that i actually graduated from the university. The school is yet to have her convocation and i've not been given my certificate. So trying to see me out of this room will contradict my constitutional freedom of association and expression. Note, that i had spent five years in the university and seen my name on the graduation and law school list is a partial fulfillment and sign of being a potential graduate and not a graduate until i have my LLB certificate by October. Atleast, we all know that driving a car doesn't make you the owner of the car until your particulars reveal such. I don't have that particular yet. #yawns# Oluwasegun fe lo sun. Bonne nuit mon amiƩ.
weldone bro. Keep the good work on. I am enjoying your constructive writeups. Its inspiring and thought-provoking. Weldone!
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by graychuks(m): 5:16am On Sep 05, 2013
Pls i would like to hook up with some philosophy students from other institutions......if you are on whatsapp...here's my Number...07064556552....let's rob minds together and I would appreciate it if we Could share materials etc....
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 05, 2013
Fynestboi: awaiting NLS, what is NlS?
Nigerian Law School.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Mesopotamia(f): 8:26am On Sep 05, 2013
PLEA BARGAIN:a mockery of Nigeria's legal process!
The term "plea bargain" has become one of the most popular in the Nigeria legal circles in recent times,thanks to the increased rate of corruption based offences.It entails the reaching of a mutually agreed disposition between the criminal defendant and the prosecutor.In it,the accused is enabled to plead guilty to some lesses offences than those originally leveled against him which results in the offender getting milder punishment than what should have been obtained..........I come to seek the opinion of the wigs and goons on this honourable platform to give their take on this fraudulent escape rout purposefully designed by retardeens we call our leaders to smuggle theiselves from the long and detterent hands of the law......I stand to be corrected,but i strongly feel that "plea bargain" should be scrapped completely from our constitution.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply)

ASUU Strike! Lecturer Turns Spiderman To Attend To Students / Nnamdi Azikiwe University 300 Level Student Commits Suicide / Female Student Electrocuted At Rivers State University (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.