Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,378 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44405 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 1:59pm On Sep 04, 2013
Since the first course we law students come across in our legal education is legal method, I would like us to know WHAT IS LEGAL METHOD?
Legal method in the simplest words can be defined as the study of the techniques of thinking like a lawyer.
My ogas in the room contribute.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:02pm On Sep 04, 2013
AmiableJay:
Sure,will do. But not now.
not now hmmmmm baba ooo.....
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
Law prince: Name: Abdul Hasib
Institution: Lagos State University
Course: LAW (Double Hons.)
Level: Law Graduate (LL.B Hons.) BL. In view
You are highly welcome sir.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by AmiableJay(m): 2:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: not now hmmmmm baba ooo.....
I dont have the course outline but I'll ask from a philosophy student.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Timichael(m): 2:06pm On Sep 04, 2013
Law prince: Name: Abdul Hasib
Institution: Lagos State University
Course: LAW (Double Hons.)
Level: Law Graduate (LL.B Hons.) BL. In view
Barrister, u're welcome. Pls contribute 2 d topic of d thread nd let's gain 4rm u sir
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2013
AmiableJay:
I dont have the course outline but I'll ask from a philosophy student.
ok if u say so....
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2013
Name: Evelyn
Institution: ABUAD
Course: Law
Level: 500L.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: whao wlcm sire can u pls kindly expantiate nd gv us tips on how IFELAW 100L IS LYK?
i can try. In your first year you would be reintroduced to some of the things you have done back in secondary school like english language and english literature. Also you would be introduced to new courses like philosophy, sociology and legal method(which is an introduction to the subject of law). And finally you can choose 1 of 5 other art and social sciences courses for ur restricted elective. I think that covers it. Let me know if there is more info i can share
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2013
AmiableJay: Since the first course we law students come across in our legal education is legal method, I would like us to know WHAT IS LEGAL METHOD?
Legal method in the simplest words can be defined as the study of the techniques of thinking like a lawyer.
My ogas in the room contribute.
mai ogas @ the top here is a topic ur contributn is highly needed.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Mmgboji(m): 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2013
Samtolly4JESUS: what will the course outline be in year 1 be like for Law?

I heard the only Law course in year 1 is PUL101.

Others like Lit, Eng, SSC, PHIL,.. are more or less of borrowed courses.
ur right. Legal method is the only law course in 1st yr. From 2nd yr u'll start offering core law courses like Nigerian legal system, law of contract, constitutional law and maybe admin law or family law as an elective course
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:09pm On Sep 04, 2013
gentlefada: i can try. In your first year you would be reintroduced to some of the things you have done back in secondary school like english language and english literature. Also you would be introduced to new courses like philosophy, sociology and legal method(which is an introduction to the subject of law). And finally you can choose 1 of 5 other art and social sciences courses for ur restricted elective. I think that covers it. Let me know if there is more info i can share
how is it like in oau? changing from philosophy to law?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:11pm On Sep 04, 2013
Eveluv: Name: Evelyn
Institution: ABUAD
Course: Law
Level: 500L.
wlcm ma. Ur contribution is needed.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mmgboji: ur right. Legal method is the only law course in 1st yr. From 2nd yr u'll start offering core law courses like Nigerian legal system, law of contract, constitutional law and maybe admin law or family law as an elective course
Hmmmmm...

Thanks Sire.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Mmgboji(m): 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: really? Bro pls expantiate more on this word of urs?
anyway, no disrespect intended. Jst meant to say in the light of the nigerian environment, philosophy holds no basic relevance. Its stil a nice discipline, at least for knowledge's sake. U wil as well offer some courses in philosophy as borrowed courses while studying law.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by tosingcfr(m): 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2013
I'm a graduate of philosophy from EKSU
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by oladistinct(m): 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2013
Nice thread. so much in love with philosophy, though am an Engineering student. still hoping to have something to do with it very soon as I enjoy reading or listening to anything philosophical even when am not required to .

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:16pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mmgboji: anyway, no disrespect intended. Jst meant to say in the light of the nigerian environment, philosophy holds no basic relevance. Its stil a nice discipline, at least for knowledge's sake. U wil as well offer some courses in philosophy as borrowed courses while studying law.
now i get u bro... Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:17pm On Sep 04, 2013
tosingcfr: I'm a graduate of philosophy from EKSU
wlcm Gud your experience? Share that with us... Waiting...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 2:18pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: how is it like in oau? changing from philosophy to law?
thats a bit difficult but possible. you have to be on a first class to make it more likely but if you are not you have to be connected(if you know what i mean). But really not too many people are successful. For instance we only have five studend that crossed in my current class and i think most of them crossed from English language
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
gentlefada: thats a bit difficult but possible. you have to be on a first class to make it more likely but if you are not you have to be connected(if you know what i mean). But really not too many people are successful. For instance we only have five studend that crossed in my current class and i think most of them crossed from English language
only this? No cash attached to it?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by eghuan1(m): 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: still ve it ooo, my plan is to switch to law, then if it work out so be it nd if it do nt then i would ve to go on with the PHIL. nd lata cum bk for LAW..

as a graduate of philosophy from uniben, my advice is that u finish d phl if there is time, then go for law, cos it will make u more grounded logically and wen u enter law, u will already have the necessary tools for reasoning implanted Into u.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: only this? No cash attached to it?

naaa. I dont think so. Even if there is it would be very small. Maybe just a registration fee or something.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:25pm On Sep 04, 2013
Ok would work on that.
eghuan1:

as a graduate of philosophy from uniben, my advice is that u finish d phl if there is time, then go for law, cos it will make u more grounded logically and wen u enter law, u will already have the necessary tools for reasoning implanted Into u.
whao welcome sire.... Pls ur experience share that wit us...really nice having u admist us sire...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 04, 2013
So happy to see this thread! Awesome thread, Fynestboi! I love everything you have posted! *Following*. cool cool
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by TariEnoch(m): 2:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
EBIMOWEI ENOCH TARI..
Niger delta university(Ndu)
Philosophy
2 hundred level.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
Yield: So happy to see this thread! Awesome thread, Fynestboi! I love everything you have posted! *Following*. cool cool
thanks ma pls introduce ya self ma cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by ikenga67: 2:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
I probably dont belong here since I graduated probably before most of you guys were even born, and I have been out of the country for quite some time. So you guys can show me the door if you'all feel so inclined. But I have always been interested in the place of the legal profession in our society and therefore the training the new entrants receive.
I am curious to know what you guys think of the quality of legal education today. Do you guys think you are getting the tools you need to play the very important role that society has reserved for the legal profession. Personally, I think that the training we received in our own time, though very intellectual and deep at the theoretical level, had some keen shortcoming from the practical perspective of the tools needed for the soceity we had. Has that changed? Or are you guys still being regaled with copious quotes from Lord Denning and Diplock?
I especially felt that the training we received in the critical areas of PL (Criminal law, admin law and Const. Law) was very defective and actually that those branches of the law which are very necessary for a modern society to function properly had been neglected in Nigeria. Has that improved some or is it still the same?

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Thermythorpe(f): 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2013
Nice work@ Op

Nam

#subscribing
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by damosky12(m): 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2013
gentlefada: thats a bit difficult but possible. you have to be on a first class to make it more likely but if you are not you have to be connected(if you know what i mean). But really not too many people are successful. For instance we only have five studend that crossed in my current class and i think most of them crossed from English language
bro, what do u think are the requirements for crossing? Apart 4rm CPGA, are SSCE grades a factor?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2013
Tari Enoch: EBIMOWEI ENOCH TARI..
Niger delta university(Ndu)
Philosophy
2 hundred level.
welcome sire cool
how was your experience in 100l like?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
Thermythorpe: Nice work@ Op

Name: I. Temitope
Institution: U.I
Course: Philosophy
Level: 300lvl

#subscribing
welcome ma. your experience in 100l 200l how was it like?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by eghuan1(m): 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: Ok would work on that.whao welcome sire.... Pls ur experience share that wit us...really nice having u admist us sire...

got ur message, check ut mail.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Female Student Electrocuted At Rivers State University (Photo) / Lecturer Smashes Student’s iPhone For Ringing During Class (Photos, Video) / Nigerian Quadruplets Graduates Simultaneously with Masters Degree In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.