Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,694 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (519293 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by okpurukata(f): 8:47pm On Oct 13, 2013
This is my contribution to this tread. I wish to extend my heart felt gratitude to Italo and Ubenedictus and other catholic faithfuls on Nairaland. You have been an inspiration to me. I have learned so much and I can stand and defend my faith even more based on all I have read and learned. It is clear that Catholics are the most mis understood Christian sect. There is also a lot of envy and jealousy for the catholic church and it's structures by some other Christians.
However, we will continue to march stronger. Let us pray for our priests and the religious. Let us also strive to begin to assist in the work of evangelism. We should not fail to use any available opportunity to tell other about our faith. God Loves us and will continue to Bless and keep us and His church.

Meanwhile I am just watching a re broadcast of the Pope's mass at St Peters on EWTN, now. It's awesome. I enjoin others who have access to watch too.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
okpurukata: This is my contribution to this tread. I wish to extend my heart felt gratitude to Italo and Ubenedictus and other catholic faithfuls on Nairaland. You have been an inspiration to me. I have learned so much and I can stand and defend my faith even more based on all I have read and learned. It is clear that Catholics are the most mis understood Christian sect. There is also a lot of envy and jealousy for the catholic church and it's structures by some other Christians.
However, we will continue to march stronger. Let us pray for our priests and the religious. Let us also strive to begin to assist in the work of evangelism. We should not fail to use any available opportunity to tell other about our faith. God Loves us and will continue to Bless and keep us and His church.

Meanwhile I am just watching a re broadcast of the Pope's mass at St Peters on EWTN, now. It's awesome. I enjoin others who have access to watch too.

I am with you Sis on all of the above...including the mass @ the vatican. grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:16pm On Oct 13, 2013
Sal C: Really ? Why?

Well, nothing much, just the first thought that crossed my mind on seeing the name, sought of sounded feminine at first. Must admit you come out strong, in debates on some occasions, which put me in doubt, however quite a number of your posts I have met here consists of encouragements, things like seconded, weldone, good one etc, even in this thread, you didn't miss out the 'you are welcome' that I delibrately provoked, that's motherly. It would still have been a guess though.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 4:03am On Oct 14, 2013
okpurukata: This is my contribution to this tread. I wish to extend my heart felt gratitude to Italo and Ubenedictus and other catholic faithfuls on Nairaland. You have been an inspiration to me. I have learned so much and I can stand and defend my faith even more based on all I have read and learned. It is clear that Catholics are the most mis understood Christian sect. There is also a lot of envy and jealousy for the catholic church and it's structures by some other Christians.

Awww!!! Sister, you people are experts at bringing tears to my eyes. Thanks. Be sure that I also learn a lot from other Catholic faithful and get so much information, inspiration and motivation from you all.

This is the era of The New Evangelization in the Church and we should make maximum use of the new instruments of technology and media (smart phones, computers, social media, internet etc) to first nourish our faith...then going on to proclaim it to others. This is what our Holy Fathers Benedict, then Francis promote. That's why 86 yr old Benedict got on twitter.

EWTN is another great way to enrich our faith and I've been following the masses at both St. Peter's and Fatima.

Now let me give you a little example of how we all gain one or two things from one another. I might have had some knowledge that some Catholics didnt expressly have but I often found myself falling for the provocation of non-Catholics. I'd have no hesitation to use harsh or insultive words. I did learn the value (or virtue) of temperance and calmness from people like Syncan, Ubenedictus, Rich4God and many other less known Catholics here. I learnt, not just because they specifically told me but because I saw them live out the example. I have also learnt a lot on theology from Syncan, Ubenedictus, Chukwudi44 and a number of others. Sometimes i learn from those Catholics who would ignore all the arguments and just post a prayer or a devotion, even without having enough know-how to 'defend' it. Yes! We need that too. I cannot mention every single thing that I have gained from every single person here but just know that every single Catholic here has added something positive to my life.

Sorry about the long post...but when I get in this mood....

God bless us all.

God bless his Holy Catholic Church.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:34am On Oct 14, 2013

God bless you dear sister.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:36am On Oct 14, 2013
Syncan:

Well, nothing much, just the first thought that crossed my mind on seeing the name, sought of sounded feminine at first. Must admit you come out strong, in debates on some occasions, which put me in doubt, however quite a number of your posts I have met here consists of encouragements, things like seconded, weldone, good one etc, even in this thread, you didn't miss out the 'you are welcome' that I delibrately provoked, that's motherly. It would still have been a guess though.
And you guessed right. Have a blessed day .
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:46am On Oct 14, 2013
italo:

Awww!!! Sister, you people are experts at bringing tears to my eyes. Thanks. Be sure that I also learn a lot from other Catholic faithful and get so much information, inspiration and motivation from you all.

This is the era of The New Evangelization in the Church and we should make maximum use of the new instruments of technology and media (smart phones, computers, social media, internet etc) to first nourish our faith...then going on to proclaim it to others. This is what our Holy Fathers Benedict, then Francis promote. That's why 86 yr old Benedict got on twitter.

EWTN is another great way to enrich our faith and I've been following the masses at both St. Peter's and Fatima.

Now let me give you a little example of how we all gain one or two things from one another. I might have had some knowledge that some Catholics didnt expressly have but I often found myself falling for the provocation of non-Catholics. I'd have no hesitation to use harsh or insultive words. I did learn the value (or virtue) of temperance and calmness from people like Syncan, Ubenedictus, Rich4God and many other less known Catholics here. I learnt, not just because they specifically told me but because I saw them live out the example. I have also learnt a lot on theology from Syncan, Ubenedictus, Chukwudi44 and a number of others. Sometimes i learn from those Catholics who would ignore all the arguments and just post a prayer or a devotion, even without having enough know-how to 'defend' it. Yes! We need that too. I cannot mention every single thing that I have gained from every single person here but just know that every single Catholic here has added something positive to my life.

God bless us all.

In return you were among those whose contribution I love to read and one of the people who inspired me alongside Chukwudi44 and Lady (really missed her since I finally registered). Uben, I've always looked upon as a father. Got to know Syncan when I registered.

Now Damerry and others whose names I didn't mention, also inspired me much.
God bless us and the church at large.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:07am On Oct 14, 2013
Sal C: In return you were among those whose contribution I love to read and one of the people who inspired me alongside Chukwudi44 and Lady (really missed her since I finally registered). Uben, I've always looked upon as a father. Got to know Syncan when I registered.

Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:51pm On Oct 14, 2013
italo:

God bless us all.

Italo called my name! Italo called my name! Italo called my name! *dancing branama by kefee*
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:52pm On Oct 14, 2013
Sal C: And you guessed right. Have a blessed day .

A blessed day to you and all in the thread.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2013
Sal C: In return you were among those whose contribution I love to read and one of the people who inspired me alongside Chukwudi44 and Lady (really missed her since I finally registered). Uben, I've always looked upon as a father. Got to know Syncan when I registered.

Amen, Amen, and those too who appear, like heavenly soldiers against the hordes of hell, when our faith becomes front page things...where the battle is most severe. Yes I am a learner.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:45pm On Oct 14, 2013
Syncan:

Italo called my name! Italo called my name! Italo called my name! *dancing branama by kefee*
Hahaha see 21st century dance!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 8:05pm On Oct 14, 2013
Syncan:

Syncan be trying to swell my head... smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 8:40pm On Oct 14, 2013
Syncan:

Amen, Amen, and those too who appear, like heavenly soldiers against the hordes of hell, when our faith becomes front page things...where the battle is most severe. Yes I am a learner.

Yes. They too.

1 Cor 12:

17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:22pm On Oct 14, 2013
italo:

Yes. They too.

1 Cor 12:

17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
Word!!!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 9:24pm On Oct 14, 2013

Thanks,
I'm still a boy, when i grow up, I'll love to be like italo, syncan and all other Catholics in this forum who are more versed in our Doctrines.

I have ineptly handled confrontations in my threads, i answer critics like a kid in catechism class, at some point i referred oppressors to go and meet and the pope cheesy.

Anyway I'll never give up, I'll kip learning until I reach the summit, then I'll start hitting these critics with Hot spot-on answers enough to make dem wish for a ban smiley
All Catholics on this forum have been an inspiration to us all, your likes, blessings, threads and encouragement has far-reaching effects on the Faith of someone, somewhere.

Where is Maria-Goretti Longtime, no cee her

God bless us all
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:25am On Oct 15, 2013
This thread is really a good one...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:34am On Oct 15, 2013
Try to disengage yourself from so many cares and take a little time to think of God and to rest in Him. Enter into the secret chambers of your heart, and banish from everything save your creator alone and what can help you find him; then having closed the door, say to Him, with all your soul: "Lord, I seek thy divine countenance- teach me to find it".......Saint Augustine

Good morning brethren, Forget not to pray this day.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:41am On Oct 15, 2013
damerry: Thanks,
I'm still a boy, when i grow up, I'll love to be like italo, syncan and all other Catholics in this forum who are more versed in our Doctrines.

I have ineptly handled confrontations in my threads, i answer critics like a kid in catechism class, at some point i referred oppressors to go and meet and the pope cheesy.

Anyway I'll never give up, I'll kip learning until I reach the summit, then I'll start hitting these critics with Hot spot-on answers enough to make dem wish for a ban smiley
All Catholics on this forum have been an inspiration to us all, your likes, blessings, threads and encouragement has far-reaching effects on the Faith of someone, somewhere.

Where is Maria-Goretti Longtime, no cee her

God bless us all
Yes we are all learners, sometimes after reading my posts a had to laugh at how mild and childish it sounded. Hopefully someday I will get better, cuz if not for this forum, i seldom get involved in debates.

Do have a favoured day.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:44am On Oct 15, 2013
striktlymi: This thread is really a good one...
Good morning and do have a blessed day ahead.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 15, 2013
Sal C: Good morning and do have a blessed day ahead.

Top of the morning to you too...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 8:05am On Oct 15, 2013
Good news everyone, my junior brother passed his WAEC. Thank God that hurdle is cleared now to face JAMB and ASUU. Plenty reasons to thank the almighty
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:26am On Oct 15, 2013
babestell: Good news everyone, my junior brother passed his WAEC. Thank God that hurdle is cleared now to face JAMB and ASUU. Plenty reasons to thank the almighty
Thank God for him. Its a thing of joy to succeed.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 8:57am On Oct 15, 2013
TODAY IS THE MEMORIAL OF ST. THERESA OF AVILA. DOCTOR, RELIGIOUS AND MARTYR.

St. Teresa of Jesus, virgin
St. Teresa (1515-1582) was born in Avila
and died in Alba, Spain. When only a child of
seven, she ran away from home in the hope
of being martyred by the Moors; in this way,
she said she could come to see God. At the
age of eighteen she joined the Carmelite
Order and chose Christ as her heavenly
Spouse. With the help of St. John of the Cross
she reformed most of the Carmelite
convents and founded new ones. She
reached the highest degree of prayer and
through prayer obtained such knowledge of
divine things that in 1970 Pope Paul VI
named her the first woman Doctor of the
Church.
St. Teresa of Jesus
St. Teresa of Jesus, honored
by the Church as the "seraphic
virgin," virgo seraphica, and
reformer of the Carmelite
Order, ranks first among
women for wisdom and
learning. She is called doctrix
mystica, doctor of mystical
theology; in a report to Pope
Paul V the Roman Rota
declared: "Teresa has been
given to the Church by God as
a teacher of the spiritual life. The mysteries
of the inner mystical life which the holy
Fathers propounded unsystematically and
without orderly sequence, she has
presented with unparalleled clarity." Her
writings are still the classic works on
mysticism, and from her all later teachers
have drawn, e.g., Francis de Sales, Alphonsus
Liguori. Characteristic of her mysticism is the
subjective-individualistic approach; there is
little integration with the liturgy and social
piety, and thus she reflects the spirit of the
sixteenth and following centuries.
Teresa was born at Avila, Spain, in the year
1515. At the age of seven she set out for
Africa to die for Christ, but was brought
back by her uncle. When she lost her mother
at twelve, she implored Mary for her
maternal protection. In 1533 she entered
the Carmelite Order; for eighteen years she
suffered physical pain and spiritual dryness.
Under divine inspiration and with the
approval of Pope Pius IV, she began the
work of reforming the Carmelite Order. In
spite of heavy opposition and constant
difficulties, she founded thirty-two reformed
convents.
Truly wonderful were the exterior and
interior manifestations of her mystical union
with God, especially during the last decade
of her life. These graces reached a climax
when her heart was transfixed
(transverberatio cordis), an event that is
commemorated in the Carmelite Order by a
special feast on August 27. She practiced
great devotion to the foster-father of Jesus,
whose cult was greatly furthered
throughout the Church through her efforts.
When dying she often repeated the words:
"Lord, I am a daughter of the Church!" Her
holy body rests upon the high altar of the
Carmelite church in Alba, Spain; her heart
with its mysterious wound is reserved in a
precious reliquary on the Epistle side of the
altar.
St. Teresa composed the following well-
known lines:
Let nothing affright thee,
Nothing dismay thee.
All is passing,
God ever remains.
Patience obtains all.
Whoever possesses God
Cannot lack anything
God alone suffices.
—Excerpted from The Church's Year of
Grace, Pius Parsch.
Patron: sickness; against headaches;
against heart disease; lacemakers; loss of
parents; opposition of Church authorities;
those in need of grace; religious; those
ridiculed for their piety; Spain; those named
Teresa, Theresa, Teresita, Terry, Tessa,
Teresina, and Tracy.
Symbols: nun in habit of a Discalced
Carmelite; Carmelite nun with her heart
pierced by an arrow held by an angel;
Carmelite nun holding a pierced heart, book
and crucifix; Carmelite nun with book and
quill; Carmelite nun receiving a message
from a dove; roses and lilies; inflamed heart;
IHS on a heart; flaming arrows; dove; book
and pen; crown of thorns; heart transfixed
with flaming arrows; scapulary; crucifix and
lily.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:17am On Oct 15, 2013
St Teresa of Avila.. Pray for us.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:27am On Oct 15, 2013
@ striktlymi are you typing an epistle?
@Italo I see you. Good morning.
Make I sleep abeg later.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 10:21am On Oct 15, 2013
Sal C: @ striktlymi are you typing an epistle?
Make I sleep abeg later.
sleepin by dis time
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:31am On Oct 15, 2013
Make I sleep abeg later.

Morning, sister...lol
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 15, 2013
Make I sleep abeg later.

Lol!!!

Nah, only going through some stuff.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 10:43am On Oct 15, 2013
Sal C:
Make I sleep abeg later.

Too Much Enjoyment..
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 5:18pm On Oct 15, 2013
woky: sleepin by dis time
Yea since they turned my nights to morning, I've decided to turn my morning into night
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 5:20pm On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

Morning, sister...lol
Sister in bold right? I gerrit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.