Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,604 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:29 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (474) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (528023 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:41pm On May 14, 2017
stunningjudy:
Happy Sunday. Happy mothers day to every woman on earth.

How many of us said the rosary yesterday, May 13th which was the Centenary celebration of Our Lady of Fatima? Well I did and I asked for a testimony this morning and I got it! I asked for different favours on different days and I believe in my heart, Our Lady of Fatima will answer my petition. During this May devotion, don't relent, pick up your rosary and keep praying. Have a blessed week. smiley

You again! Nne am going to relocate to your area, make I de collect the testimonies wey de fall throway abeg.

A splendid Sunday to you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:44pm On May 14, 2017
Rich4god:
Happy Sunday guys....

What a busy day for Syncan.... Keep it up....

We continue to pray to God to improve our faith in Him...

Are you saying am working on Sunday? angry

A splendid Sunday to you bro.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by stunningjudy(f): 6:30pm On May 14, 2017
Syncan:

You again! Nne am going to relocate to your area, make I de collect the testimonies wey de fall throway abeg.

A splendid Sunday to you.
Hahahaha...my dear, Mother Mary knows how much i need those miracles to avoid depression. I'll share a greater testimony soon. I'm hopeful! wink

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:59pm On May 14, 2017
Syncan:

Are you saying am working on Sunday? angry

A splendid Sunday to you bro.
lol.... Technically, ur​ fingers and "theological brain" didn't have the normal rest for a Sunday grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:14am On May 21, 2017
Question.

Does the church use infallibility when she declares someone a saint?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:23am On May 21, 2017
Oga Ubenedictus don come this morning o.

Well i don't know for sure but i believe the church does since i am yet to hear of a case where one's sainthood was reversed.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:01am On May 21, 2017
SalC:
Oga Ubenedictus don come this morning o.

Well i don't know for sure but i believe the church does since i am yet to hear of a case where one's sainthood was reversed.
hmmm
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:46am On May 25, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Question.

Does the church use infallibility when she declares someone a saint?

Matthew: 16:19

"And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

I believe with my whole heart that the above verse answers your question.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:43pm On May 25, 2017
hala madrid, up man u.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:33pm On May 25, 2017
jnrbayano:

Matthew: 16:19

"And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

I believe with my whole heart that the above verse answers your question.
True, d answer is there, the church has the God given authority to make binding declarations....
the issue is that that church declears things with levels of clarity...the highest level dogma when something is infallibly defined,...is the church using its extraordinary infallible teaching authority when it canonises or is it an ordinary magisteria pronouncement?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 4:51pm On May 25, 2017
Ubenedictus:
True, d answer is there, the church has the God given authority to make binding declarations....
the issue is that that church declears things with levels of clarity...the highest level dogma when something is infallibly defined,...is the church using its extraordinary infallible teaching authority when it canonises or is it an ordinary magisteria pronouncement?

The bold if you ask me.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 4:52pm On May 25, 2017
Ubenedictus:
hala madrid, up man u.

lipsrsealed

Italo and Woky would say instead, "Forza Milan"

lipsrsealed
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:03am On Jun 14, 2017
Jnrbayano, Syncan, italo, ubenedictus etc

Pls what exactly qualifies a person to be called a doctor of the church?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 1:35pm On Jun 14, 2017
SalC:

"To these names others have subsequently been added to the liturgy.

The requisite conditions are enumerated as three:

1. eminens doctrina (i.e. eminent learning)
2. insignis vitae sanctitas (i.e. a high degree of sanctity)
3. Ecclesiae declaratio (i.e. proclamation by the Church).

Benedict XIV explains the third as a declaration by the supreme pontiff or by a general council. But though general councils have acclaimed the writings of certain Doctors, no council has actually conferred the title of Doctor of the Church.

The procedure involves extending to the universal church the use of the Divine Office and Mass of the saint in which the title of doctor is applied to him. The decree is issued by the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints and approved by the pope, after a careful examination, if necessary, of the saint's writings.

It is not in any way an ex cathedra decision, nor does it even amount to a declaration that no error is to be found in the teaching of the Doctor. It is, indeed, well known that the very greatest of them are not wholly immune from error.

No martyr is in the list, since the Office and the Mass are for Confessors. Hence, as Benedict XIV points out, Saint Ignatius of Antioch, Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, and Saint Cyprian of Carthage are not called Doctors of the Church."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_the_Church

Make we wait for the theologians to arrive

smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 5:33pm On Jun 14, 2017
jnrbayano:

Benedict XIV explains the third as a declaration by the supreme pontiff or by a general council. But though general councils have acclaimed the writings of certain Doctors, no council has actually conferred the title of Doctor of the Church.

The procedure involves extending to the universal church the use of the Divine Office and Mass of the saint in which the title of doctor is applied to him. The decree is issued by the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints and approved by the pope, after a careful examination, if necessary, of the saint's writings.

It is not in any way an ex cathedra decision, nor does it even amount to a declaration that no error is to be found in the teaching of the Doctor. It is, indeed, well known that the very greatest of them are not wholly immune from error.

No martyr is in the list, since the Office and the Mass are for Confessors. Hence, as Benedict XIV points out, Saint Ignatius of Antioch, Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, and Saint Cyprian of Carthage are not called Doctors of the Church."

smiley

Nice one. I hope we don't misunderstand the confessor part (as I made bold above) to mean priests. Confessors in this sense are people who lived and defended the faith but didnt die as matyrs .

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 5:35pm On Jun 14, 2017
SalC:

Outstanding holiness and sanctity
Eminent learning and writings
Proclamation by the Pope
Canonized saint

Jnrbayano​ already posted something comprehensive.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:36pm On Jun 14, 2017
jnrbayano:

smiley
Thanks for the explanation, i got it.
Sometimes when you people write, i begin to wonder where i came from grin

Am begining to consider nominating you guys for "doctorship" abi na doctorhood. grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:40pm On Jun 14, 2017
Syncan:

Nice one. I hope we don't misunderstand the confessor part (as I made bold above) to mean priests. Confessors in this sense are people who lived and defended the faith but didnt die as matyrs .

Ok good. But can you also explain the term confessor holistically.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:06pm On Jun 14, 2017
SalC:

Thanks for the explanation, i got it.
Sometimes when you people write, i begin to wonder where i came from grin

Am begining to consider nominating you guys for "doctorship" abi na doctorhood. grin

Nothing came from my head. Na copy and paste I do o.

embarassed
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:50pm On Jun 14, 2017
jnrbayano:

Nothing came from my head. Na copy and paste I do o.

embarassed
Even the copy and paste i no fit do smh smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:08am On Jun 15, 2017
SalC:

Ok good. But can you also explain the term confessor holistically.

1. One who hears confessions. A priest.
2. One who confesses, this is just in use of English. In the church, this person is rather called Penitent.
3. This is the one we're interested in. These are people who lived a holy life, most often heroic in defending the faith by their words, writings and actions, they only didn't have the opportunity of matyrdom, yet the Church recognizes in them an immense desire to witness for Christ with their lives. Other apostles of Christ are Matyrs, but John is a Confessor, even though they threw him in a drum of oil, but he didn't die. That's why on John's feast day, that our brother, that one...you know na, will wear white instead of red for matyrs.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:29am On Jun 15, 2017
Syncan:

1. One who hears confessions. A priest.
2. One who confesses, this is just in use of English. In the church, this person is rather called Penitent.
3. This is the one we're interested in. These are people who lived a holy life, most often heroic in defending the faith by their words, writings and actions, they only didn't have the opportunity of matyrdom, yet the Church recognizes in them an immense desire to witness for Christ with their lives. Other apostles of Christ are Matyrs, but John is a Confessor, even though they threw him in a drum of oil, but he didn't die. That's why on John's feast day, that our brother, that one...you know na, will wear white instead of red for matyrs.

Ah ah shocked that no2, thank God you clarified. I would've adopted the name confessor officially wink

Lol so you sef don understand say that our brother dey involved grin

Btw i learnt something new. So this is why white is worn on the feast day of st John?.

Thanks for the breakfast. It's good you woke up early considering you slept late last night smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:37am On Jun 15, 2017
SalC:

Ah ah shocked that no2, thank God you clarified. I would've adopted the name confessor officially wink

Lol so you sef don understand say that our brother dey involved grin

Btw i learnt something new. So this is why white is worn on the feast day of st John?.

Thanks for the breakfast. It's good you woke up early considering you slept late last night smiley

Hahahaha, abeg o. In times past, this your last statement would have got us into trouble. I miss those days though. cheesy

A splendid day ahead to all.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:50am On Jun 15, 2017
Syncan:

Hahahaha, abeg o. In times past, this your last statement would have got us into trouble. I miss those days though. cheesy

I had the re-read that last statement, it got me laughing. That's how i've been landing us in trouble unknowingly.

Do have a blessed day too.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:15am On Jun 15, 2017
Syncan:

<singing Morocco nwa Mmaduka>

Maka ndia na ndia........
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:21pm On Jun 15, 2017
jnrbayano:

<singing Morocco nwa Mmaduka>

Maka ndia na ndia........

Dem know themselves.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 5:18pm On Jun 16, 2017
I consider Pope Benedict XVI to be the 'Doctor of the Church' of our time.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:45pm On Jun 16, 2017
italo:
and john paul 2 i alway reread those guys.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:11pm On Jun 16, 2017
italo:

Ubenedictus:
and john paul 2 i alway reread those guys.

Not Forgetting Fulton Sheen, if he gets Canonized.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 10:40pm On Jun 22, 2017
Hi everyone...

A lovely evening to you all. Hope you all had a good day?

Our very own Emma (strictlymi) is about to Wed. The wedding has been slated to hold this November in Lagos and we are all invited.

He wishes to use this medium to extend his invitation and ask that you accept his sincere apologies for his inability to make this post himself. Do accept this as a formal invitation to the wedding.

Kindly get in touch with me via a direct message(or him if you can) for further information on venue and all if you'd like to attend.

The wedding, I gather, is strictly by invitation (though not compulsory sha, oh yels) so an early indication of attendance will be appreciated to help them plan their guest list.

Thank you all for your understanding and congratulations to him.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:12am On Jun 23, 2017
chikk:
Hi everyone...

Our very own Emma (strictlymi) is about to Wed. The wedding has been slated to hold this November in Lagos and we are all invited.

He wishes to use this medium to extend his invitation and ask that you accept his sincere apologies for his inability to make this post himself. Do accept this as a formal invitation to the wedding.

Kindly get in touch with me via a direct message(or him if you can) for further information on venue and all if you'd like to attend.

The wedding, I gather, is strictly by invitation (though not compulsory sha, oh yels) so an early indication of attendance will be appreciated to help them plan their guest list.

Wow that's great!
Congrats in advance Stricky, may God bless your marriage already. smiley

Thanks Chikk for Sharing.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 24, 2017
chikk:
Hi everyone...

Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (505) (Reply)

Dreams Interpretation! Dreams Interpretation!! Dreams Interpretation!!! / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.