Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (473) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (517066 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 8:54pm On Apr 30, 2017
Aizenosa:

Actually you very right to the extent that, even non Catholics have over time made the statement that we Catholics we truly don't know what we have that others long to have and yet we don't use it.

Good examples are:
Non Catholics going for the sacrament of reconciliation. Imagine that weigh u feel lifted off ones shoulders.

Non Catholics visiting the blessed sacrament

And very rare I have seen non Catholics become members of Catholic societies.

It sometimes makes me ask the question why do most Catholics prefer to be lukewarm in faith.

Bros let me give you an example from personal experience.

My uncle was born Catholic, but no longer takes the faith seriously. He patronizes spiritualists of various kinds. One of these is a Cherubim & Seraphim pastor. My uncle believes this man has solutions to his problems. I have seen this man in St. Dominic Catholic Church Yaba Bookshop at least three times, buying Jerusalem holy water and other religious articles.

So a born Catholic goes to a Cherubim pastor to go to the Catholic Church to get solution to his problem.

Madness!

And when I shared my surprise with my friend who works in the Church, he laughed at me, saying "them plenty na, I dey see dem well well."
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 9:15pm On Apr 30, 2017
italo:

Bros let me give you an example from personal experience.

My uncle was born Catholic, but no longer takes the faith seriously. He patronizes spiritualists of various kinds. One of these is a Cherubim & Seraphim pastor. My uncle believes this man has solutions to his problems. I have seen this man in St. Dominic Catholic Church Yaba Bookshop at least three times, buying Jerusalem holy water and other religious articles.

So a born Catholic goes to a Cherubim pastor to go to the Catholic Church to get solution to his problem.

Madness!

And when I shared my surprise with my friend who works in the Church, he laughed at me, saying "them plenty na, I dey see dem well well."

Exactly
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Gregdcutie(m): 7:23am On May 01, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Christos Anesti!

Chai! easter vigil was da bomb, dat moment when u are nodding and dancing and thumping at errm... hymns! Left church singing aka m di n'elu.

The Lord is rising!
St. Cecilia Choir @St. Luke's Chaplaincy sang that song that day. Do you worship there?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:46am On May 01, 2017
From the commentary on the first letter of Peter by
Saint Bede the Venerable, priest

A chosen race, a royal priesthood
You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood. This praise was given long ago by Moses to the ancient people of God, and now the apostle Peter rightly gives it to the
Gentiles, since they have come to believe in Christ
who, as the cornerstone, has brought the nations
together in the salvation that belonged to Israel.
Peter calls them a chosen race because of their faith,
to distinguish them salvation salvation who by refusing to
accept the living stone have themselves been
rejected. They are a royal priesthood because they are
united to the body of Christ, the supreme king and true
priest. As sovereign he grants them his kingdom, and
as high priest he washes away their sins by the
offering of his blood. Peter says they are a royal
priesthood; they must always remember to hope for an
everlasting kingdom and to offer to God the sacrifice
of a blameless life.
They are also called a consecrated nation, a people
claimed by God as his own, in accordance with the
apostle Paul’s explanation of the prophet’s teaching:
My righteous man lives by faith; but if he draws back, I will
take no pleasure in him. But we, he says, are not the sort
of people who draw back and are lost; we are those who
remain faithful until we are saved. In the Acts of the
Apostles we read: The Holy Spirit has made you
overseers, to care for the Church of God which he bought
with his own blood. Thus, through the blood of our
Redeemer, we have become a people claimed by God as
his own, as in ancient times the people of Israel were
ransomed from Egypt by the blood of a lamb.
In the next verse, Peter also makes a veiled allusion to
the ancient story, and explains that this story is to be
spiritually fulfilled by the new people of God, so that,
he says, they may declare his wonderful deeds. Those
who were freed by Moses from slavery in Egypt sang
a song of triumph to the Lord after they had crossed
the Red Sea and Pharaoh’s army had been
overwhelmed; in the same way, now that our sins have
been washed away in baptism, we too should express
fitting gratitude for the gifts of heaven. The Egyptians
who oppressed the people of God, and who can also
stand for darkness or trials, are an apt symbol of the
sins that once oppressed us but have now been
destroyed in baptism.
The deliverance of the children of Israel and their
journey to the long-promised land correspond with the
mystery of our redemption. We are making our way
toward the light of our heavenly home with the grace
of Christ leading us and showing us the way. The light
of his grace was also symbolized by the cloud and
the pillar of fire, which protected the Israelites from
darkness throughout their journey, and brought them
by a wonderful path to their promised homeland.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 8:57am On May 01, 2017
Good morning, friends. Welcome to the month of Mary.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 01, 2017
italo:
Good morning, friends. Welcome to the month of Mary.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 4:30pm On May 03, 2017
Gregdcutie:
St. Cecilia Choir @St. Luke's Chaplaincy sang that song that day. Do you worship there?
no, am in the East right now and the closest chaplaincy is st Joseph the worker.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 4:36pm On May 03, 2017
From the treatise On the Prescription of Heretics by Tertullian, priest
(Cap. 20:1-9; 21, 3; 22, 8-10: CCL 1, 201-204)

The preaching of the apostles

Our Lord Jesus Christ himself declared what he was, what he had been, how he was carrying out his Father’s will, what obligations he demanded of men. This he did during his earthly life, either publicly to the crowds or privately to his disciples. Twelve of these he picked out to be his special companions, appointed to teach the nations.

One of them fell from his place. The remaining eleven were commanded by Christ, as he was leaving the earth to return to the Father after his resurrection, to go and teach the nations and to baptize them into the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

The apostles cast lots and added Matthias to their number, in place of Judas, as the twelfth apostle. The authority for this action is to be found in a prophetic psalm of David. After receiving the power of the Holy Spirit which had been promised to them, so that they could work miracles and proclaim the truth, they first bore witness to their faith in Jesus Christ and established churches throughout Judea. They then went out into the whole world and proclaimed to the nations the same doctrinal faith.

They set up churches in every city. Other churches received from them a living transplant of faith and the seed of doctrine, and through this daily process of transplanting they became churches. They therefore qualify as apostolic churches by being the offspring of churches that are apostolic.

Every family has to be traced back to its origins. That is why we can say that all these great churches constitute that one original Church of the apostles; for it is from them that they all come. They are all primitive, all apostolic, because they are all one. They bear witness to this unity by the peace in which they all live, the brotherhood which is their name, the fellowship to which they are pledged. The principle on which these associations are based is common tradition by which they share the same sacramental bond.

The only way in which we can prove what the apostles taught—that is to say, what Christ revealed to them—is through those same churches. They were founded by the apostles themselves, who first preached to them by what is called the living voice and later by means of letters.

The Lord had said clearly in former times: I have many more things to tell you, but you cannot endure them now. But he went on to say: When the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you into the whole truth. Thus Christ shows us that the apostles had full knowledge of the truth, for he had promised that they would receive the whole truth through the Spirit of truth. His promise was certainly fulfilled, since the Acts of the Apostles prove that the Holy Spirit came down on them.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 5:19pm On May 03, 2017
Ubenedictus:
no, am in the East right now and the closest chaplaincy is st Joseph the worker.

Hmm. A university comes to mind. Jnrbayano confirm copied...over.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 6:30pm On May 03, 2017
Syncan:

Nice mentioning me bro.

Ubenedictus walked into my area incognito? shocked

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:41pm On May 03, 2017
Syncan:

I imagine that you will notice, nothing dey pass you by.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:56pm On May 03, 2017
jnrbayano:

Nice mentioning me bro.

lol, do you know anyone who announces his travels on anonymous social media platform? besides I have been in the east for sometime now. ate my share of okpa and abacha, tasted the white soup and ran away.... east is pretty cool and peaceful...I'll miss it.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:17pm On May 03, 2017
jnrbayano:

Nice mentioning me bro.

He has been in the east for years.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:22am On May 04, 2017
Ubenedictus:
From the treatise On the Prescription of Heretics by Tertullian, priest
(Cap. 20:1-9; 21, 3; 22, 8-10: CCL 1, 201-204)

The preaching of the apostles

Our Lord Jesus Christ himself declared what he was, what he had been, how he was carrying out his Father’s will, what obligations he demanded of men. This he did during his earthly life, either publicly to the crowds or privately to his disciples. Twelve of these he picked out to be his special companions, appointed to teach the nations.

One of them fell from his place. The remaining eleven were commanded by Christ, as he was leaving the earth to return to the Father after his resurrection, to go and teach the nations and to baptize them into the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

The apostles cast lots and added Matthias to their number, in place of Judas, as the twelfth apostle. The authority for this action is to be found in a prophetic psalm of David. After receiving the power of the Holy Spirit which had been promised to them, so that they could work miracles and proclaim the truth, they first bore witness to their faith in Jesus Christ and established churches throughout Judea. They then went out into the whole world and proclaimed to the nations the same doctrinal faith.

They set up churches in every city. Other churches received from them a living transplant of faith and the seed of doctrine, and through this daily process of transplanting they became churches. They therefore qualify as apostolic churches by being the offspring of churches that are apostolic.

Every family has to be traced back to its origins. That is why we can say that all these great churches constitute that one original Church of the apostles; for it is from them that they all come. They are all primitive, all apostolic, because they are all one. They bear witness to this unity by the peace in which they all live, the brotherhood which is their name, the fellowship to which they are pledged. The principle on which these associations are based is common tradition by which they share the same sacramental bond.

The only way in which we can prove what the apostles taught—that is to say, what Christ revealed to them—is through those same churches. They were founded by the apostles themselves, who first preached to them by what is called the living voice and later by means of letters.

The Lord had said clearly in former times: I have many more things to tell you, but you cannot endure them now. But he went on to say: When the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you into the whole truth. Thus Christ shows us that the apostles had full knowledge of the truth, for he had promised that they would receive the whole truth through the Spirit of truth. His promise was certainly fulfilled, since the Acts of the Apostles prove that the Holy Spirit came down on them.

Hahahaha, Tertullian should come to our age, this sound argument would have been a waste to the modern day protestant. They will simply wait for him to finish and then say "support it with bible", forgetting they are talking with one whose parents listened to the apostles.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:57am On May 04, 2017
Ubenedictus:
I imagine that you will notice, nothing dey pass you by.

Chai. Now he's known one of my weaknesses. angry
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 8:23am On May 04, 2017
Ubenedictus:
lol, do you know anyone who announces his travels on anonymous social media platform? besides I have been in the east for sometime now. ate my share of okpa and abacha, tasted the white soup and ran away.... east is pretty cool and peaceful...I'll miss it.

Never knew we had/have you here, save for Syncan

Also, I don't really consider the clique we have here anonymous
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 8:24am On May 04, 2017
SalC:

Inukwa?

I could have walked past him without noticing
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:45am On May 05, 2017
SalC:
Yeah, it seems u noticed... i have dropped hints here and there... even on this thread. If naturalisation works in nigeria i'll be an igbo man now.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:47am On May 05, 2017
jnrbayano:

Inukwa?
I could have walked past him without noticing
just d way i like it....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:27pm On May 05, 2017
Ubenedictus:
just d way i like it....

Okay
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:28pm On May 05, 2017
SalC:

Okay. Nice
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:27pm On May 05, 2017
From a sermon by Saint Ephrem, deacon
The cross of Christ gives life to the human race Death trampled our Lord underfoot, but he in his turn treated death as a highroad for his own feet. He submitted to it, enduring it willingly, because by this means he would be able to destroy death in spite of itself. Death had its own way when our Lord went out from Jerusalem carrying his cross; but when by a loud cry from that cross he summoned the dead from the underworld, death was powerless to prevent it. Death slew him by means of the body which he had assumed, but that same body proved to be the weapon with which he conquered death. Concealed beneath the cloak of his manhood, his godhead engaged death in combat; but in slaying our Lord, death itself was slain. It was able to kill natural human life, but was itself killed by the life that is above the nature of man. Death could not devour our Lord unless he possessed a body, neither could hell swallow him up unless he bore our flesh; and so he came in search of a chariot in which to ride to the underworld. This chariot was the body which he received from the Virgin; in it he invaded death’s fortress, broke open its strongroom and scattered all its treasure. At length he came upon Eve, the mother of all the living. She was that vineyard whose enclosure her own hands had enabled death to violate, so that she could taste its fruit; thus the mother of all the living became the source of death for every living creature. But in her stead Mary grew up, a new vine in place of the old. Christ, the new life, dwelt within her. When death, with its customary impudence, came foraging for her mortal fruit, it encountered its own destruction in the hidden life that fruit contained. All unsuspecting, it swallowed him up, and in so doing released life itself and set free a multitude of men. He who was also the carpenter’s glorious son set up his cross above death’s all-consuming jaws, and led the human race into the dwelling place of life. Since a tree had brought about the downfall of mankind, it was upon a tree that mankind crossed over to the realm of life. Bitter was the branch that had once been grafted upon that ancient tree, but sweet the young shoot that has now been grafted in, the shoot in which we are meant to recognize the Lord whom no creature can resist. We give glory to you, Lord, who raised up your cross to span the jaws of death like a bridge by which souls might pass from the region of the dead to the land of the living. We give glory to you who put on the body of a single mortal man and made it the source of life for every other mortal man. You are incontestably alive. Your murderers sowed your living body in the earth as farmers sow grain, but it sprang up and yielded an abundant harvest of men raised from the dead. Come then, my brothers and sisters, let us offer our Lord the great and all-embracing sacrifice of our love, pouring out our treasury of hymns and prayers before him who offered his cross in sacrifice to God for the enrichment of us all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Gregdcutie(m): 11:21pm On May 05, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Okay...couldn't help but ask...that Jude nnam's Olisa song is amazing
Re: A Thread For Catholics by dadebayo1(m): 8:31am On May 07, 2017
Happy Good Shepard sunday... Wish everyone a blessed week ahead...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jamp: 10:59am On May 07, 2017
dadebayo1:
Happy Good Shepard sunday... Wish everyone a blessed week ahead...

Happy Good shepherd sunday

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:33pm On May 07, 2017
Gregdcutie:
Okay...couldn't help but ask...that Jude nnam's Olisa song is amazing
the song is a masterpiece, absolutely beautiful. Hope u know there seem to be a problem with your blog.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:44pm On May 07, 2017
From a homily on the Gospels by Saint Gregory the Great, pope

Christ the good shepherd

I am the good shepherd.  I know my own — by which I mean, I love them — and my own know me....  

...Turn now to consider how these words of our Lord imply a test for yourselves also.  Ask yourselves whether you belong to his flock, whether you know him, whether the light of his truth shines in your minds.  I assure you that it is not by faith that you will come to know him, but by love; not by mere conviction, but by action.  John the evangelist is my authority for this statement.  He tells us that anyone who claims to know God without keeping his commandments is a liar.

Consequently, the Lord immediately adds:  As the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for my sheep.  Clearly he means that laying down his life for his sheep gives evidence of his knowledge of the Father and the Father’s knowledge of him.  In other words, by the love with which he dies for his sheep he shows how greatly he loves his Father.

Again he says:  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them; they follow me, and I give them eternal life.  Shortly before this he had declared:  If anyone enters the sheepfold through me he shall be saved; he shall go freely in and out and shall find good pasture.  He will enter into a life of faith; from faith he will go out to vision, from belief to contemplation, and will graze in the good pastures of everlasting life.

So our Lord’s sheep will finally reach their grazing ground where all who follow him in simplicity of heart will feed on the green pastures of eternity.  These pastures are the spiritual joys of heaven.  There the elect look upon the face of God with unclouded vision and feast at the banquet of life for ever more.

Beloved brothers, let us set out for these pastures where we shall keep joyful festival with so many of our fellow citizens.  May the thought of their happiness urge us on!  Let us stir up our hearts, rekindle our faith, and long eagerly for what heaven has in store for us.  To love thus is to be already on our way.  No matter what obstacles we encounter, we must not allow them to turn us aside from the joy of that heavenly feast.  Anyone who is determined to reach his destination is not deterred by the roughness of the road that leads to it.  Nor must we allow the charm of success to seduce us, or we shall be like a foolish traveler who is so distracted by the pleasant meadows through which he is passing that he forgets where he is going.

Are we members of the sheepfold?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 3:42pm On May 07, 2017
Ubenedictus:
From a homily on the Gospels by Saint Gregory the Great, pope

Christ the good shepherd

I am the good shepherd.  I know my own — by which I mean, I love them — and my own know me....  

...Turn now to consider how these words of our Lord imply a test for yourselves also.  Ask yourselves whether you belong to his flock, whether you know him, whether the light of his truth shines in your minds.  I assure you that it is not by faith that you will come to know him, but by love; not by mere conviction, but by action.  John the evangelist is my authority for this statement.  He tells us that anyone who claims to know God without keeping his commandments is a liar.

Consequently, the Lord immediately adds:  As the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for my sheep.  Clearly he means that laying down his life for his sheep gives evidence of his knowledge of the Father and the Father’s knowledge of him.  In other words, by the love with which he dies for his sheep he shows how greatly he loves his Father.

Again he says:  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them; they follow me, and I give them eternal life.  Shortly before this he had declared:  If anyone enters the sheepfold through me he shall be saved; he shall go freely in and out and shall find good pasture.  He will enter into a life of faith; from faith he will go out to vision, from belief to contemplation, and will graze in the good pastures of everlasting life.

So our Lord’s sheep will finally reach their grazing ground where all who follow him in simplicity of heart will feed on the green pastures of eternity.  These pastures are the spiritual joys of heaven.  There the elect look upon the face of God with unclouded vision and feast at the banquet of life for ever more.

Beloved brothers, let us set out for these pastures where we shall keep joyful festival with so many of our fellow citizens.  May the thought of their happiness urge us on!  Let us stir up our hearts, rekindle our faith, and long eagerly for what heaven has in store for us.  To love thus is to be already on our way.  No matter what obstacles we encounter, we must not allow them to turn us aside from the joy of that heavenly feast.  Anyone who is determined to reach his destination is not deterred by the roughness of the road that leads to it.  Nor must we allow the charm of success to seduce us, or we shall be like a foolish traveler who is so distracted by the pleasant meadows through which he is passing that he forgets where he is going.

Are we members of the sheepfold?

A rich flowing sermon.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:51am On May 09, 2017
From a sermon by Saint Peter Chrysologus, bishop

Each of us is called to be both a sacrifice to God and his priest

I appeal to you by the mercy of God. This appeal is made by Paul, or rather, it is made by God through Paul, because of God’s desire to be loved rather than feared, to be a father rather than a Lord. Listen now to what the Apostle urges us to do. I appeal to you, he says, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice. By this exhortation of his, Paul has raised all men to priestly status.

How marvellous is the priesthood of the Christian, for he is both the victim that is offered on his own behalf, and the priest who makes the offering. He does not need to go beyond himself to seek what he is to immolate to God: with himself and in himself he brings the sacrifice he is to offer God for himself. The victim remains and the priest remains, always one and the same. Immolated, the victim still lives: the priest who immolates cannot kill. Truly it is an amazing sacrifice in which a body is offered without being slain and blood is offered without being shed.

The Apostle says: I appeal to you by the mercy of God to present your bodies as a living sacrifice. Brethren, this sacrifice follows the pattern of Christ’s sacrifice by which he gave his body as a living immolation for the life of the world. He really made his body a living sacrifice, because, though slain, he continues to live. In such a victim death receives its ransom, but the victim remains alive. Death itself suffers the punishment. This is why death for the martyrs is actually a birth, and their end a beginning. Their execution is the door to life, and those who were thought to have been blotted out from the earth shine brilliantly in heaven.

Paul says: I appeal to you by the mercy of God to present your bodies as a sacrifice, living and holy. The prophet said the same thing: Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but you have prepared a body for me. Each of us is called to be both a sacrifice to God and his priest. Do not forfeit what divine authority confers on you. Put on the garment of holiness, gird yourself with the belt of chastity. Let Christ be your helmet, let the cross on your forehead be your unfailing protection. Your breastplate should be the knowledge of God that he himself has given you. Keep burning continually the sweet smelling incense of prayer. Take up the sword of the Spirit. Let your heart be an altar. Then, with full confidence in God, present your body for sacrifice. God desires not death, but faith; God thirsts not for blood, but for self-surrender; God is appeased not by slaughter, but by the offering of your free will.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by stunningjudy(f): 12:06pm On May 14, 2017
Happy Sunday. Happy mothers day to every woman on earth.

How many of us said the rosary yesterday, May 13th which was the Centenary celebration of Our Lady of Fatima? Well I did and I asked for a testimony this morning and I got it! I asked for different favours on different days and I believe in my heart, Our Lady of Fatima will answer my petition. During this May devotion, don't relent, pick up your rosary and keep praying. Have a blessed week. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 1:33pm On May 14, 2017
Happy Sunday guys....

What a busy day for Syncan.... Keep it up....

We continue to pray to God to improve our faith in Him...

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.