Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,236 members, 7,811,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) (24934 Views)

ASUU- FG Withdraws Ultimatum For Striking Lecturers / AAUA Begins Recruitment To Replace Striking Lecturers / Bauchi State Govt Sacks 194 Striking Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by stantob(m): 11:19am On Oct 11, 2013
FG SHOULD RESLOVE THIS MATTER FOR THE SAKE OF THE STUDENTS. THIS IS A HUGE SET BACK FOR THESE STUDENTS. THEY ARE ADMANT BECAUSE THEIR CHILDREN ARE ALL STUDYING OVERSEAS. WHILE THE SO CALLED LAW MAKERS AND SENATORS TAKE HOME HUGE PAY CHECKS, THOSE WHO IMPACT THESE KNOWLEDGE ON OTHERS BOAST OF NOTHING. WHY ARE TEACHERS ALWAYS NEGELECTED IN THAT COUNTRY ?

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by tundebj(m): 11:20am On Oct 11, 2013
The truth is that while most of us are busy doing notin but hoping dat assu wl call off strite the rest are busy preparing for their future making some good cash. Assu or government its ur future that u sud be concernd wt. If u make enough money move to Ghana, come back wt ur certificate in record time. Claim all d best jobs. Its ur choice
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Pvin: 11:20am On Oct 11, 2013
Lets wait and see what ASUU has to reply on this one
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Demdem(m): 11:21am On Oct 11, 2013
manie:

I think post graduate students pay for their masters and doctorate programmes, the allowance for supervising post graduate students ought to be billed in the school fees, this should not be the headache of the FG but the respective Universities.

I agree completely with this. Further degrees are optional and should be well paid for.
However the deed is done. Govt negotiating team were not smart enough. They can redeem this mess by increasing the cost of both masters and phds.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Tonylyte(m): 11:24am On Oct 11, 2013
Were they paying them salaries after they struck? Why would u pay salary to sum1 dat didnt wrk 4 u? Nw, stop paying em salaries. After the strike might hav bin called off, force them to wrk 4 the subsiquent salaries u paid em that they neva wrked 4, beginning frm the day1 of the strike til the last day. No wrk, no pay.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by esqtony: 11:26am On Oct 11, 2013
GSKing: Very good, superb strategy. No work, no pay has my full support. Let us all strike together and search for menial jobs!

u jst spoke my mind. Let evry1 get to d street and search 4 menial jobs. Let d lecturers also come out n hustle like d students out here.
Imagine say u kary applicatn go 4 salesboy/girl, as u enta MD office comot, nxt na ur lecturer. Wat an hmmmm... It wuld've been.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by manie(m): 11:26am On Oct 11, 2013
Time to partner with investors in the educational sector and most especially in University education. Anybody who invest in this sector will smile to the bank on a regular basis in the next 10 years. I see a gradual end of public universities in the next 20 years.

I guess proprietors and investors in private universities are indirectly using the lecturers in public universities to kill the system.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by tnktosin(m): 11:26am On Oct 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Why are Tinubu e-rats supporting ASUU in the ongoing immoral strike? It is Politics, politics, politics!!!

I wonder why payment of the lecturer's earned allowance was released when the strike has not been called off? That was a dumb strategy.

No work no pay strategy should have been implemented from day one. It is immoral, criminal, wicked and atrocious for people to be paid salaries for NO work. That is corruption. That is tantamount to payment of GHOST WORKERS.
Dude methinks the name tinubu gives you a hard-on gosh. Am not a tinubu fan Buh the way you go about him is really irritating angry
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Demdem(m): 11:27am On Oct 11, 2013
gbanikiti: Best comment so far!

I support ASUU to continue the strike and avoid any intimidation from the FG. Government is not doing any favour by paying the lecturers. It is their hard earned money they are fighting for. If our federal legislators are being paid for some irrelevant allowances which is just an avenue to steal money,why should our lecturers not be paid for their hard work? Why should the people who impact knowledge on our children be underpaid more than the fools who sit in NASS doing absolutely nothing?

The strike should continue until their entitlement and allowances are settled!!

Wellsaid.
If Ebele Jonathan can afford to feed his family and some few govt cronies with 1billion naira worth of food in a financial year, its only fools that will believe the claims of govt that there is no money to pay lecturers what they are being owned which is peanuts anyway.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Conceptz(m): 11:27am On Oct 11, 2013
chemashie: FG will still pay the money no matter what. I don't see reason why they should do that when we know fully well that the money will still be paid.

yes, but the money will yield interest if given to a businessman to do business till they resolved their issues
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by deeoneX(m): 11:27am On Oct 11, 2013
I strongly support the "no work no pay" rule. come to think of it...if ASUU calls of dis 3months old strike all because of their monthly pay, wouldn't dis strike been in vain.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by ajeyomiademola: 11:28am On Oct 11, 2013
The ASUU-FGN matter is a clear conflictual matter.

You don't sweep conflicts under the carpet

What the federal govt. should do is to confront the matter and send these Guys back to class
It may be true that the ASUU members are seeming inconsiderate, but the bulk of the matter heavily lies on the Federal Executive Council (GEJ's cabinet)
If GEJ wants lecturers to go back to school on Monday, He knows what to do- i am a final year student of the Industrial Relations and Personnel Management dept. of the University of Lagos, (university of first choice, the nation's pride). Let GEJ commit himself rather than traveling here and there, and watch ASUU make concessions.

The government needs to be trusted, and this is the truth and the crux of the whole matter- GEJ should bargain in good faith

I thaink ASUU will be willing to bulge, they are academicians that should be able to think when necessary

That is my little contribution grin shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
THATS ALL. (MEMBERS OF NSCDC ARE NOT INVITED HERE.)

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by manie(m): 11:29am On Oct 11, 2013
The management and administration of University education needs to be decentralised. A lecturer in Lagos does not have to earn the same salary with a lecturer in Maiduguri, but their costs of living and expenses in both cities are not the same.

People may criticise me for this, but this is the economic reality.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by tolurainbow(m): 11:30am On Oct 11, 2013
Nyc one....dat is gud for dem no work..no salaries....
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by MidaxPhoenix(m): 11:31am On Oct 11, 2013
The agreement states further....

b.)Each State University shall require three million, six hundred and eighty thousand and eighteen Naira
(N3,680,018) per student for the period 2009 –2011 as follows:
Year Amount (N)

2009 1,144,075
2010 1,205,880
2011 1,330,063
Total (approximated) 3,680,000

These amounts include Recurrent and Capital Grants, and are based mainly on the disaggregated returns from the universities.

4.2 SOURCES OF FUNDING
4.2.1 Federal and State Governments
The goal of this negotiation is to put Nigeria in a strong position to become a knowledgebased society that will be able to compete and survive in the 21 st Century.
To achieve this, the entire education system requires massive funding at all levels. While non-budgetary sources have a role to play, and there must be continuous efforts to identify and use them prudently, the major source of funding education for national development is through budgetary allocation from State and Federal Governments.
With this in view, the Re-negotiation Committee agreed to recommend to the relevant authorities that:
(a)A minimum of 26% of the annual budget of the State and Federal Governments be allocated to education;
(b)At least 50% of the budgeted 26% shall be allocated to the universities; and,
(c)The representation of the Federal Ministry of Education to the Revenue Mobilisation and Fiscal Commission to put education on the “First Charge” be vigorously pursued.
(d)Being mindful of the processes for meeting this goal of 26% annual budgetary allocation to education as enunciated in the UNESCO benchmark, the Federal Government shall endeavour to progressively increase its budgetary allocation to the education sector in accordance with its vision 20:2020 programme.

Federal Government Assistance to States for Higher Education
It was agreed that the Federal Government should, as appropriate, provide general assistance both to the State Governments that are proprietors of universities and those that do not own universities but need assistance in the area of higher education, as allowed by the Nigerian Constitution (Section 164.1).

Let me pause here as you can peruse the terms of the agreement and adopt an informed view about the industrial action.

The questions are still begging for answers...

1) This agreement was signed by prof Onosode , pro-chancellor of unilag on behalf of the government and ASUU chairman, can the government claim ignorance of its financial obligation to this agreement while planning the budget?

2) If the country is not financially buoyant to foot this expenditure, what stops the minister of education from invoking the right of re-negotiation as provided in the agreement?

3) For the president to ask the reason for state uni to join the strike clearly smirks of his ignorance of the terms of this agreement.

4) Why did ASUU wait till 2013 to start this strike when they could have protested since the first installment ?

5) The NUC and representatives of ETF and PTDF on the boards were given the responsibility of notice and reminders to government, if na to donate 50million per university to bribe senators to increase allocation, that mumu NUC sec go sabi do?

SUMMARY

The government entered into an agreement out of ignorance or insincerity of honoring it!

We need a new, workable and practical agreement with all stake holders, a span of like 6 years and commitment by all the parties.

The minister of finance should be part of the committee to prevent another ''no money talk".

The students body should be joined as witness so that they are fully aware of the ineptitude of the government should they default.

And lastly, the president should be properly briefed on issues.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by omogidi234(m): 11:31am On Oct 11, 2013
0lumide:

For someone who supports GEJ with his mom's life, you know you just goofed by not showing the proof but instead talking about it?

You know? You ain't got shiit..

Oga, I was in University of Ilorin those days when the branch ASUU was hot ( 97, 99 and 2000). The 'no work no pay' rule was first tested in Unilorin. Ask any one who was in Unilorin between 97- 2007, after close to ten years, the lecturer won their case in the Supreme Court. The funniest thing was that the least paid earned about N20m or so, depending on your HATISS. Even those who died during the struggle, their families received their pay. My point exactly is that after suspending their salary for years and some had gone to private universities, the court still ruled that they should earn salary till the date of the judgment or so.

So please let us learn from the past. If the FG thinks they are overbearing, let them take legal action as against illegal action of 'no work no pay'.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by vizboy(m): 11:32am On Oct 11, 2013
and someone here is saying that ASUU is fighting for a just cause.

Just cause my foot.

They are only fighting for their pocket
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Richiez(m): 11:34am On Oct 11, 2013
Is this aimed at forcing the lecturers to return back to classes or resolving the whole strike issue? you can take a horse to the river but you can't force it to drink from it
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by manie(m): 11:34am On Oct 11, 2013
ajeyomi ademola: The ASUU-FGN matter is a clear conflictual matter.

What the federal govt. should do is to confront the matter and send these Guys back to class
It may be true that the ASUU members are seeming inconsiderate, but the bulk of the matter heavily lies on the Federal Executive Council (GEJ's cabinet)
If GEJ wants lecturers to go back to school on Monday, He knows what to do- i am a final year student of the Industrial Relations and Personnel Management dept. of the University of Lagos, (university of first choice, the nation's pride). Let GEJ commit himself rather than traveling here and there, and watch ASUU make concessions.

The government needs to be trusted, and this is the truth and the crux of the whole matter- GEJ should bargain in good faith

I thaink ASUU will be willing to bulge, [b]they are academicians that should be able to think when necessary

[/b]That is my little contribution grin shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry

I don't think so.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Samotology(m): 11:34am On Oct 11, 2013
Hw on earth could u be fighting a group and continue to pay them salary yet u expect to win, FG should wake up
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Conceptz(m): 11:36am On Oct 11, 2013
tpacalipse: ASUU can never be owed by anyone. Govt shall pay and its hands will be washed by water in case there are remnants sticking there. When ASUU calls off the strike, no pay no work policy would start again. For more than one year now, at every congress of ASUU, it has always been discoursed that this strike may go on for two years and the lecturers knew what they were in for before the strike commenced. No one will back down in this struggle to reposition the universities in this country. No work no pay will eventually become no pay no work. Govt will beg to pay and even ASUU will refuse to collect. They shall pay in multiple folds. Some of you think ASUU is like other toothless union in Naija. Or you think is like that agbero union some of ya papa belong to.

Seriously, u f**k up. U just over talk!!!
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by noahnaira: 11:37am On Oct 11, 2013
Thank God my school RSUST has left ASUU. But I feel 4 my colleagues affected by this strike. If u ask me, I will say ASUU members r to b blame. They shud go bak and teach, if dey r tired of copyin and pastin let dem resign for d new ones who hv passion 4 lecturin. These lecturers hv der kids in GH dats y dey can stay @ home as long as only God knows. #Naijasucks
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by omogidi234(m): 11:38am On Oct 11, 2013
Samotology: Hw on earth could u be fighting a group and continue to pay them salary yet u expect to win, FG should wake up

Stopping their salaries is like saving the money for them sir. They already know this fact, so the best is to see how the issue can be resolved amicably and possibly, through legal means.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by cheleku(m): 11:40am On Oct 11, 2013
Onlytruth: I am a STRONG supporter of No Work No Pay in this case.
Unbridled unionism should be proscribed in Nigeria's university system.
ASUU should be proscribed the same way Egypt proscribed the Moslem Brotherhood and confiscated their assets.
ASUU's assets (whatever is left of it) should be seized, sold, and their proceeds used to pay students some form of bursary as compensation/remediation for breached contract.
ewu
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by gbanikiti(m): 11:40am On Oct 11, 2013
vizboy: and someone here is saying that ASUU is fighting for a just cause.

Just cause my foot.

They are only fighting for their pocket
Yes! They are fighting for their pocket because it is their right. They are owed almost 4 years allowance and just one year have been paid. What happened to the other 3 years? It is their money they are fighting for. Just like your father has kids to cater for,so are lecturers too.They are human like you and they deserve the best in life. Government should pay up their allowances and let the students go back to school.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by MidaxPhoenix(m): 11:41am On Oct 11, 2013
The lectures are on Academic/teaching strike and not total strike..

They will hide under the ''Research clause'' to get their salary. These guys are profs, real PHD holders and they know the rule.

They will claim to be supervising projects, research etc.

Even if ASUU embarks on strike for ten years, the government have to pay them. They are employed to teach and research...

And they still sign attendance even, the university employment Act toys with the labor law and makes mockery of it.

Another example is the compulsory sabbatical after 6 years of teaching....

The case of Unilorin 44, abi na 41 sef is still fresh!!

They get paid for working elsewhere with promotion as accrued over the long impasse!

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Tonylyte(m): 11:41am On Oct 11, 2013
ALTRUTH: Infact if possible, all d lecturers on strike shld b sacked and replaced; I recommend a blanket sack! Rubbish!
seconded. Kenyan govt did it to their civil servants....
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by noahnaira: 11:44am On Oct 11, 2013
tpacalipse: ASUU can never be owed by anyone. Govt shall pay and its hands will be washed by water in case there are remnants sticking there. When ASUU calls off the strike, no pay no work policy would start again. For more than one year now, at every congress of ASUU, it has always been discoursed that this strike may go on for two years and the lecturers knew what they were in for before the strike commenced. No one will back down in this struggle to reposition the universities in this country. No work no pay will eventually become no pay no work. Govt will beg to pay and even ASUU will refuse to collect. They shall pay in multiple folds. Some of you think ASUU is like other toothless union in Naija. Or you think is like that agbero union some of ya papa belong to.

Empty threats. R u d spokesperson ASUU ?
How about d prev strikes ? Why did dey call it off witout getin der demans? That means u can bride ASUU top officials wit a fat brown envelope (now cashless) and dey call off strike, den wen d money finishes he mobilises others 2 go on strike . Smh
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by manie(m): 11:45am On Oct 11, 2013
ajeyomi ademola: The ASUU-FGN matter is a clear conflictual matter.

I thaink ASUU will be willing to bulge, they are academicians that should be able to think when necessary

That is my little contribution grin shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry

Are you sure?
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Bsmartt(m): 11:46am On Oct 11, 2013
my advice to the University Students especially the Undergraduate is to fine a craftwork/lucrative work to learn instead of sitting at home doing Nothing.I Hope ASUU calls off the strike soon..... I mean Soon.
NB: this doesn't applies to the Student of University of Ilorin and Private University students. Thank you!
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Olaskybab: 11:48am On Oct 11, 2013
BADNEAT: bro how much were they paid. ..spit it here let people see how greedy these guys are...later someone ll come out to say it was d lecturers that taught d senatose who are receiving millions. ..n I can't help but wonder if it wasn't d secondary school teachers n principals who receive peanuts dt trained d lecturers. ..smh
ao can u compare lecturers wit pri/secondary sch tchers 4 God sake!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jambites Did You Noticed This??? / A'eesha Humayrah Abaji, ABU Best Graduating Medical Student / Futminna 2011/2012 Admission Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.