Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) (24929 Views)

ASUU- FG Withdraws Ultimatum For Striking Lecturers / AAUA Begins Recruitment To Replace Striking Lecturers / Bauchi State Govt Sacks 194 Striking Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Forester45(m): 1:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
Onlytruth: I am a STRONG supporter of No Work No Pay in this case.
Unbridled unionism should be proscribed in Nigeria's university system.
ASUU should be proscribed the same way Egypt proscribed the Moslem Brotherhood and confiscated their assets.
ASUU's assets (whatever is left of it) should be seized, sold, and their proceeds used to pay students some form of bursary as compensation/remediation for breached contract.
You may be sick. Check your health status please.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by mooregan(m): 1:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
Korrection: Do you know what ASUU is demandihg for? If you dont know please shut ur mouth...visit universities and you'll understand..
Bros, don't be deceived, ASUU is not fighting for any University upgrading anything. They r fighting for their pockets. By the way, would u mind educating me on what they used their Internal Generated Revenue for?? I'm waiting

3 Likes

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by omogidi234(m): 1:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
mooregan:
Bros, don't be deceived, ASUU is not fighting for any University upgrading anything. They r fighting for their pockets. By the way, would u mind educating me on what they used their Internal Generated Revenue for?? I'm waiting

IGR in a university? I think we should ask the management of various universities to account for the IGR instead of ASUU.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by opylas(m): 1:32pm On Oct 11, 2013
Demdem:

One year out of how many being owned.
Are u sure that money is inside the lecturers accounts?
No work no pay isn't new. I support ASUU 100%.
Now is the time to finish this war.
Govt can't be trusted. Other unions knows this..

U b student @ all?

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by UyiIredia(m): 1:32pm On Oct 11, 2013
homesteady: No work No pay has my 100% support!
Its because the lecturers are still receiving their salaries, that's why they are doing yanga!

I support the first statement you made but not the final one.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
Forester45: You may be sick. Check your health status please.

Stop being so insultive you ill-mannered brat! The next time you don't agree with someone's opinion you should remember that someone else is absolutely disgusted by your own opinions, so stop launching attacks.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by amaechijay: 1:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Strike can go on and on and on......The best solution to these reoccurring issue is to privatize our universities or the whole educational sector. A private public institution maybe, there is no developed country in the world were federal government is in charge of education. it will never work just like telecommunication and power. What do they do with income generated from school fees and other levies. Companies should also invest in research in the tertiary institution. The Havard, Oxford, Yale, Cambridge are not owned or run buy any govt. What right do these lecturers have to make some of these stupid demands? Its not in their place to ask these outrageous demands whether its for a good cause or not. I think they should be considerate to think first of the students they have kept at home all these while. The government cannot afford to just fund the educational sector and ignore others. These issues should also be raised in the national conference. its high time we practiced true federalism. Generate income and pay taxes to the federal govt.

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Hearme(m): 1:37pm On Oct 11, 2013
That's why I like Nkem Owoh a.k.a. Ukwa. His song goes like this.

Agreement is agreementeeee oooooo (2X)
He don reach time for settlement,
you come dey tell me nonsense
AGreement is agreementeeeee oooo

AGREEMENT.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by muredo(m): 1:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
The rule can never work,it will just create more problems,well I want you people that always open mouth anyhow that,students is at the receiving end,either they stop their salary now or later,FG will surely pay it later,the more no work,no pay rule,the more student stay at home[b][/b]
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by abdulrahman23: 1:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
in support of this policy.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by anyaekekehinde(m): 1:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
amaechijay: Strike can go on and on and on......The best solution to these reoccurring issue is to privatize our universities or the whole educational sector. A private public institution maybe, there is no developed country in the world were federal government is in charge of education. it will never work just like telecommunication and power. What do they do with income generated from school fees and other levies. Companies should also invest in research in the tertiary institution. The Havard, Oxford, Yale, Cambridge are not owned or run buy any govt. What right do these lecturers have to make some of these stupid demands? Its not in their place to ask these outrageous demands whether its for a good cause or not. I think they should be considerate to think first of the students they have kept at home all these while. The government cannot afford to just fund the educational sector and ignore others. These issues should also be raised in the national conference. its high time we practiced true federalism. Generate income and pay taxes to the federal govt.

For the records General Electric rarely employ fresh graduates taught in Nigeria, you can research it here on nairaland or linkedIn they would rather go to USA and other foreign schools to recruit Nigerian graduates , why? Because they know Engineers in Nigeria don't have stuff, and you think that is not shameful enough.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Shine1177: 1:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
agabaI23: UNIBEN paid a year and half earned allowance. It is no secret. Some received over a million while some under. I was reliably informed that the least paid received 700k.

I hope boys will not start kidnapping these lecturers?
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Demdem(m): 1:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
castrokins:

You should ask ASUU how they expend TETFUND. What cause are they fighting for? After years of funding through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund, can you say for a certainty that objectives of the fund were/are met?

And what gives u the impression that ASUU is in charge of this fund in question?
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by manie(m): 1:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
omogidi234:

Oga, I was in University of Ilorin those days when the branch ASUU was hot ( 97, 99 and 2000). The 'no work no pay' rule was first tested in Unilorin. Ask any one who was in Unilorin between 97- 2007, after close to ten years, the lecturer won their case in the Supreme Court. The funniest thing was that the least paid earned about N20m or so, depending on your HATISS. Even those who died during the struggle, their families received their pay. My point exactly is that after suspending their salary for years and some had gone to private universities, the court still ruled that they should earn salary till the date of the judgment or so.

So please let us learn from the past. If the FG thinks they are overbearing, let them take legal action as against illegal action of 'no work no pay'.

The management of UNILORIN did not seek legal advice before sacking the UNILORIN 49, similar case happened with Bernard Longe a former CEO of FBN. I guess he was paid close to 1 billion as lost income. The lecturers should be given an opportunity to defend their actions, invited to panel etc. They can now sack them for refusal to appear at the panel, which can be referred to as insubordination.
Nothing stops an employer from sacking, dismissing, retrenching or retiring his employee, but they need to follow the legal procedure.
No work, no pay is not illegal.
workers can be sacked for dereliction of duties. insubordination etc.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
ASUU can't be receiving their allowances and expect students to believe that they are sympathetic to their cause. Where is ASUU's sacrifice? Students have been at home going on four months now, which other group is bearing an immediate loss of any kInd?

If they forgo their allowances in protest they would be more credible. And being thus unified with students in sacrifice, they would be sensitive to the point at which strike action becomes futile. The govt is capitalizing on the differing opinions resulting from the fact that ASUU has not approached this issue with integrity and hence they do not have the full support of students. If we all lose, we would know when to graduate from strike to demonstrations on the street.

I see no honesty here, ASUU should check themselves. The government is not the only enemy.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Demdem(m): 2:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
obayaya:

amongst the negotiation team for ASUU.. there's a certain Prof. Chukuka Okonjo who I believe is professor Ngozi okonjo iweala's father.

Prof. Ngozi okonjo iweala was the minister of. finance in 2009 when this agreement was reached.

so is the honorable minister telling us that his royal Majesty her father was stupid when they renegotiated this agreement.

or was Prof. Ngozi okonjo iweala so daft back then in. 2009 that she didn't see that the agreement wasn't feasible.

if the figures in this agreement were to be adjusted according to inflation, the Federal government should be paying more.

Excellent points u raised.
Those fools are deceiving themselves.
ASUU indeed should be paid more.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Demdem(m): 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
opylas:

U b student @ all?

Currently not but was once a student so I perfectly understand ur cries.
Infact before I matriculated in OAU, I have already lost a year.
The aim here is 2013 should be the last time we ever hear of ASUU going on strike. Let's work towards that.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Darius2000: 2:13pm On Oct 11, 2013
jayriginal: Most of the people condemning ASUU have no clue whatsoever. Get yourselves enlightened!

Now listen. ASUU is fighting for a cause and ASUU is being steadfast in their cause. This is not an ambush, this is over an agreement that was reached years ago.

ASUU is not like other unions eg your NLC.

Does anyone remember how NLC ruined the occupy Nigeria protest to the dismay of many Nigerian youths? Have you forgotten the betrayal of the masses when the NLC in mysterious circumstances called of the strike?
Did anybody do anything about it?
What of the youth that died during the protest? He was shot by police. What happened to that?

You know why NLC could betray you like that? You know why the Government can walk all over you with shoes studded with 6 inch nails? You know why the general condition of the masses does not improve?

It is because we are a nation of lily livered suffering and smiling people who will rather continue in hardship than risk the slightest inconvenience to stand up for their rights.

ASUU is fighting for a cause!

The best comment I have read here in a long while. I am a revolutionary. The greatest threat to our progress isnt the bad leaders .Rather its the docile masses who have refused to satnd up for their rights. Good governance will never come without some discomfort or sacrifice. This is a fact. I have never trusted the NLC.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by wesley80(m): 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
Demdem:

Currently not but was once a student so I perfectly understand ur cries.
Infact before I matriculated in OAU, I have already lost a year.
The aim here is 2013 should be the last time we ever hear of ASUU going on strike. Let's work towards that.

Was that the year they were supposed to teach you common sense? Now see what you've become after you go say strike good!
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by bigcil: 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
Hello everyone ,
i know what i have to say isn't in lieu with the topic but, i have to just enlighten you.
some of you guys students and one time or the other you get broke. Now this isn't a get-rich-quick-scheme. As long as you have a phone that can browse you are go to go.
there is a website called
www.ultimatecycler.com/ref/bigcil
now what's done in the website is to cycle money within its members. Please I am not the owner, just a facilitator.
How does it work
simple
just sign up with the above link
when that is done, you will be given your own url, which you will use to bring two people. Now when you sign up the website will tell who to pay to, and that person can be anybody not me per say. But the thing is the person is in Nigeria and je would have a bank account so should you too.
like i was saying as soon as you register you're to pay the person you are directed to pay #4000.00, once you pay the person, call him/her to confirm payment and activate you. When that's done you just need to bring in two people, theses two wont pay you, they will pay someone else, as soon as these two should get their two prospects 2x2=4, their prospects (4) will pay you #4000x4 making #16000, cool isn't it
now from the money you earn you can go to the next board of #4000 but this time you don't need to bring anyone, after you're tired of the #4000 board you can move to the following
all these started with #4000 and you never had to gk back to your pocket to invest, you re invest with the money you have made.
i wont be monitoring this link so please if you have any question please call me on 08034135274
also if you doubt it google ultimate cycler and watch the videos and the testimonies.
please note use the link i have put here because if you join the site, from the main site you might be told to pay someone in the united states.
www.ultimatecycler.com/ref/bigcil
I hope you partake in this. Thanks for reading and good luck. Sorry if there are any typos just typed this
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Demdem(m): 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
wesley80:
Was that the year they were supposed to teach you common sense? Now see what you've become after you go say strike good!

Fool, u obviously don't know how the uni system work. If otherwise, u would have known that the year eventually held.
Oponu, strike isn't a good thing but considering the kind of miserable leaders we have currently, that is the only language they know.
The strike that made Jonathan pay this one will make him also pay the balance.
No shaking.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by gentlelyfe(m): 2:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
wat if ur a university lecturer or ur parents...will u support d no work no pay policy
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by habbyy03: 2:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
Good....#dancin skelewu in kukere version
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by furezra(m): 3:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
Good news. Let's see if ASUU has been fighting to help the educational system or themselves.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by rodbel(m): 3:24pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Why are Tinubu e-rats supporting ASUU in the ongoing immoral strike? It is Politics, politics, politics!!!

I wonder why payment of the lecturer's earned allowance was released when the strike has not been called off? That was a dumb strategy.

No work no pay strategy should have been implemented from day one. It is immoral, criminal, wicked and atrocious for people to be paid salaries for NO work. That is corruption. That is tantamount to payment of GHOST WORKERS.

Calm down GEJ e-cockroach!!! High BP is smiling at you with this kinda attitude. This ASUU issue should be resolved once and for all! FG should honour the agreement the made with ASUU #shikena
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by jayriginal: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sweetlemon:

Bravo!

But it is really sad! Nigerians have gotten so used to being used by the FG that they don't want to be rescued. It's like a wife, an abused wife who is so used to being treated like dirt by husband that she now enjoys the pain.
There's deep pain in my heart because I know that no matter how hard I pray for Nigeria, Nigeria will not get better because the people themselves do not want change!

We are a pathetic people. Its harsh but its reality. Until we learn to discern and until we can stand up and demand our dues, we will continue to get played.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by jayriginal: 3:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
goziepenzy: . Good move by FG! ASSU my nyash

Of course. Seeing as you seem to think with it.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by jayriginal: 3:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
omogidi234:
@ topic, ASUU should invent another style of getting their demands met other than strike. Government is not feeling the immediate impact rather it is the students.

Kindly suggest a few.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
Y'all should stop with the lie.. It is all about the earned allowance. ASUU knows it, the FG knows it too.. www.nairaland.com/1474417/ASUU-strike-resolution-ui-ASUU
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by jayriginal: 3:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
castrokins:

You should ask ASUU how they expend TETFUND. What cause are they fighting for? After years of funding through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund, can you say for a certainty that objectives of the fund were/are met?

I dont think you know what the strike is about. I dont think also that you have the benefit of hindsight. Some of us have seen these scripts play over and over again.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by paker002: 3:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
Onlytruth: I am a STRONG supporter of No Work No Pay in this case.
Unbridled unionism should be proscribed in Nigeria's university system.
ASUU should be proscribed the same way Egypt proscribed the Moslem Brotherhood and confiscated their assets.
ASUU's assets (whatever is left of it) should be seized, sold, and their proceeds used to pay students some form of bursary as compensation/remediation for breached contract.
sometimes you just wonder what kind of smelling akamu settled as brain for some people.... you really need to travel out my boy to even china and see what education is all about... enough of this deception...... if we dont encourage challenging this government the way ASUU is doing at the "moment"... na our lack of courage spoil nigeria..... abi things no bend for your side ni bros you sure kuku dey talk like one of the thieves that is about to die from the effect of this struggle.... make we use imo...imo....(brain) to dey talk for here i beg you ijn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jambites Did You Noticed This??? / A'eesha Humayrah Abaji, ABU Best Graduating Medical Student / Futminna 2011/2012 Admission Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.