Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,771 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) (24935 Views)

ASUU- FG Withdraws Ultimatum For Striking Lecturers / AAUA Begins Recruitment To Replace Striking Lecturers / Bauchi State Govt Sacks 194 Striking Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by plendil: 11:49am On Oct 11, 2013
j. Excess Workload Allowance

shocked shocked
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Jorryy(m): 11:51am On Oct 11, 2013
What took them soo long to implement this policy since? Mtsheeew
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Conceptz(m): 11:53am On Oct 11, 2013
rottable: hmmmmmm, uncle t.b joshua said the strike will be called-off on 2nd of april 2017. Is like it is becoming a reality
thats a joke, right??
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Olaskybab: 11:55am On Oct 11, 2013
noahnaira:

Empty threats. R u d spokesperson ASUU ?
How about d prev strikes ? Why did dey call it off witout getin der demans? That means u can bride ASUU top officials wit a fat brown envelope (now cashless) and dey call off strike, den wen d money finishes he mobilises others 2 go on strike . Smh
u dey tink 'anti-clockwisely'.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Boss13: 11:57am On Oct 11, 2013
Don Magic Juan: FG should not only stop their salaries but also evict any occupying staff quarters and also give them 30 days ultimatum to return back to work or get the sack.

Enuff is enuff!

After 2015
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by mrslecturer: 11:58am On Oct 11, 2013
Na today. Salaries have been stopped since August. Some universities paid lecturers August Salaries but Uniport where I work have not paid lecturers since August.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by omogidi234(m): 11:58am On Oct 11, 2013
Midax & Phoenix:
The lectures are on Academic/teaching strike and not total strike..

They will hide under the ''Research clause'' to get their salary. These guys are profs, real PHD holders and they know the rule.

They will claim to be supervising projects, research etc.

Even if ASUU embarks on strike for ten years, the government have to pay them. They are employed to teach and research...

And they still sign attendance even, the university employment Act toys with the labor law and makes mockery of it.

Another example is the compulsory sabbatical after 6 years of teaching....

The case of Unilorin 44, abi na 41 sef is still fresh!!

They get paid for working elsewhere with promotion as accrued over the long impasse!

You are correct sir, 44. The least paid got about N20m when in the real sense after the first year a handful had gone to Covenant, Bowen, RUN etc and they were paid good money. One of them was a pioneer VC of one the biggest private Unis in town.

So Government should please learn from the mistake of past administrations.

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by jayriginal: 11:59am On Oct 11, 2013
Most of the people condemning ASUU have no clue whatsoever. Get yourselves enlightened!

Now listen. ASUU is fighting for a cause and ASUU is being steadfast in their cause. This is not an ambush, this is over an agreement that was reached years ago.

ASUU is not like other unions eg your NLC.

Does anyone remember how NLC ruined the occupy Nigeria protest to the dismay of many Nigerian youths? Have you forgotten the betrayal of the masses when the NLC in mysterious circumstances called of the strike?
Did anybody do anything about it?
What of the youth that died during the protest? He was shot by police. What happened to that?

You know why NLC could betray you like that? You know why the Government can walk all over you with shoes studded with 6 inch nails? You know why the general condition of the masses does not improve?

It is because we are a nation of lily livered suffering and smiling people who will rather continue in hardship than risk the slightest inconvenience to stand up for their rights.

ASUU is fighting for a cause!

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Boss13: 12:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
Demdem:

Fool, as at last week when u alleged that ASUU was given 30billion naira directly to share, it was proven that u lied. Instead, universities were given the money and because if bereaucracy, the money was yet to be paid.
Good to know they have started receiving it.

Fool, my second question still pending. How many years is the govt still owning them?

No need for the name calling. I remember him sharing the information to us. This is the reason why many of us come to nairaland to get first hand information before the general public.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by anyaekekehinde(m): 12:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
omogidi234:

You are correct sir, 44. The least paid got about N20m when in the real sense after the first year a handful had gone to Covenant, Bowen, RUN etc and they were paid good money. One of them was a pioneer VC of one the biggest private Unis in town.

So Government should please learn from the mistake of past administrations.

Prof BJ Olufeagba taught me at FUTA, he was one of the Unilorin 49, they collected all their their entitlements for the time they were sacked, and he was also lecturing at FUTA then... so who lost? Fg of course... Double income for Olufeagba & co. ASUU will laugh last. why on earth will you enter into agreement with someone and will later renege. Jonathan is a beast
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Sweetlemon(f): 12:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
wesley80: I know they've been paid, I know someone that got paid and I know how much about 3 cadre's of staff received. It isnt a state secret and I'm actually more angry with the FG for making the money available before the strike is called off than I am with schools for disbursing it. Feel free to confirm from any lecturer you know at the ***** university. If you confirm its a lie, this would be the last time you see this moniker in Nairaland!
By the way if you had a mother you were proud of you'd never make reference to someone else's mom over a difference in opinion. Please accept my sincere sympathy.

It's not a matter of if they have been paid. The issue is that are they being paid well enough to deliver high quality education to students? Are schools well equipped?

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by castrokins(m): 12:16pm On Oct 11, 2013
nerodenero: To say Uncle Jona was a former lecturer and allowed this strike to linger this long is seriously appalling. If the Government of old were insensitive to the plight of the Lecturers and the rot in the educational sector, the government of the day can't claim ignorant. Uncle Jonaboy, wake up from your slumber, remember these lecturers were your former colleague, speedily come to their rescue, reposition the educational sector and give hope to the poor masses whom largely the current crisis affects. God bless Nigeria.

Talk is really cheap...You believe it's all as simple as you coin?? There's more to this agreement than you've discerned. Nigeria is more complex than we sit at the periphery and assume. That Jonathan was a lecturer doesn't change the complex society we live in. You don't dole out money because you're friends are asking for it. Have you read the full script of the agreement? Is it implementable?? Have you considered other sectors begging for attention?? These issues are fundamental and one need fundamental background to understand where the parties are crying from. People scripted the agreement, they may have goofed. The present administration doesn't feel comfortable with the terms and have sought renegotiation.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by aniiyke: 12:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
This 1 na die o
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by castrokins(m): 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
jayriginal: Most of the people condemning ASUU have no clue whatsoever. Get yourselves enlightened!

Now listen. ASUU is fighting for a cause and ASUU is being steadfast in their cause. This is not an ambush, this is over an agreement that was reached years ago.

Does anyone remember how NLC ruined the occupy Nigeria protest to the dismay of many Nigerian youths? Have you forgotten the betrayal of the masses when the NLC in mysterious circumstances called of the strike?
What of the youth that died during the protest? He was shot by police. What happened to that?

You know why NLC could betray you like that? You know why the Government can walk all over you with shoes studded with 6 inch nails? You know why the general condition of the masses does not improve?

It is because we are a nation of lily livered suffering and smiling people who will rather continue in hardship than risk the slightest inconvenience to stand up for their rights.

You should ask ASUU how they expend TETFUND. What cause are they fighting for? After years of funding through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund, can you say for a certainty that objectives of the fund were/are met?
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Sweetlemon(f): 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
jayriginal: Most of the people condemning ASUU have no clue whatsoever. Get yourselves enlightened!

Bravo!

But it is really sad! Nigerians have gotten so used to being used by the FG that they don't want to be rescued. It's like a wife, an abused wife who is so used to being treated like dirt by husband that she now enjoys the pain.
There's deep pain in my heart because I know that no matter how hard I pray for Nigeria, Nigeria will not get better because the people themselves do not want change!

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by anyaekekehinde(m): 12:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
castrokins:

Talk is really cheap...You believe it's all as simple as you coin?? There's more to this agreement than you've discerned. Nigeria is more complex than we sit at the periphery and assume. That Jonathan was a lecturer doesn't change the complex society we live in. You don't dole out money because you're friends are asking for it. Have you read the full script of the agreement? Is it implementable?? Have you considered other sectors begging for attention?? These issues are fundamental and one need fundamental background to understand where the parties are crying from. People scripted the agreement, they may have goofed. The present administration doesn't feel comfortable with the terms and have sought renegotiation.

Are they daft, why must you agree to a term you cant implement. even my 10 year old kid sister, refused to sign an agreement we drafted for her as regards time to be spent watching TV.... Mr man so what is your point. was Jonathan not part of the government in 2009, was he not president when the new MOU was signed in 2012. The fact is in Africa, we dont like respecting agreement
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Sweetlemon(f): 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
I am sick and tired of seeing half-baked, half-fried and half-roasted so-called graduates who cannot construct simple sentences to save their lives! It's now or never. It has to be the full loaf of bread or no bread at all!

Nigerian students, I advice you to go to private schools. if you cannot afford that, then go start small businesses! Of what use is your education if you cannot secure good jobs afterwards? What use is your degree if it is not respected in international communites?

Please think about this. It's now or never. Join in the fight so that your kids can have a better future!

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by leleEkpa: 12:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
NUT shd join
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by ideyvexnow: 12:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
Onlytruth: I am a STRONG supporter of No Work No Pay in this case.
Unbridled unionism should be proscribed in Nigeria's university system.
ASUU should be proscribed the same way Egypt proscribed the Moslem Brotherhood and confiscated their assets.
ASUU's assets (whatever is left of it) should be seized, sold, and their proceeds used to pay students some form of bursary as compensation/remediation for breached contract.

lol

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Hearme(m): 12:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
Conceptz:

yes, but the money will yield interest if given to a businessman to do business till they resolved their issues

So you want Dangote to collect the money again. Can someone tell me which building Dangote has donated to any school? If its PDP rally now, he will donate 1billion because he knows how to get it back by govt policy. That man smart oh, he has started campaigning for the use of cement to construct roads.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Davidbanky(m): 12:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
Hmmm, clueless government, lets see the next step from here, I guess the next step will be to re- employ another sets of lecturers :.... Hahahahahah, a nation founded on lies, selfishness, and embezzlement, ruled by confused set of people who claim to know more than us all, am sad and my hope in this country is lost, I can imagine how many dreams I have changed due to the situation around, whatever they like they should do, at this point, I don't f**cking care ...

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by vitality22(m): 12:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
wesley80: I know they've been paid, I know someone that got paid and I know how much about 3 cadre's of staff received. It isnt a state secret and I'm actually more angry with the FG for making the money available before the strike is called off than I am with schools for disbursing it. Feel free to confirm from any lecturer you know at the ***** university. If you confirm its a lie, this would be the last time you see this moniker in Nairaland!
By the way if you had a mother you were proud of you'd never make reference to someone else's mom over a difference in opinion. Please accept my sincere sympathy.
God bless you for the bolded part of your post. Some people just talk anyhow. If he had a mum, he wouldn't abuse another person's mum.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Iaz93: 12:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
kennygee: No food for lazy man, a labourer must earn his keep. The selfish bufoons will starve and in no time have no choice than to be reasonable.
They are not selfish buffoons. They are fighting a good fight. FG entered into an agreement with them in 2009, even Jonathan was there. Uptil now, the FG is doing nothing to honour the agreement. We all know how selfish and useless the FG is. They can spend money on useless things but can't stay true to their words.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Davidbanky(m): 12:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
Let them bring REVOLUTION! I don't care, someone got to fight back someday anyway...
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Richiez(m): 12:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
mrs lecturer: Na today. Salaries have been stopped since August. Some universities paid lecturers August Salaries but Uniport where I work have not paid lecturers since August.
I quite agree with you, even without the no work no pay rule, lecturers have already been used to delayed salary payments...most of these lecturers have other businesses that they do. well, I'm not on the side of FG nor ASUU...let's see if this works, but if it doesn't, does it mean that students will continue to stay at home?
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Iaz93: 12:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
ideyvexnow:

So what will happen in the end if ASUU's demands are ignored by GEJ?

Does it mean that you like the rot and decay of our University Infrastructure?

Are you this short sighted and impatient?

Would you prefer that our Universities continue to be mocked outside Nigeria, when this country has enough money to put things in order.

And to think that some people were clicking on like for your comment without really looking at the real picture.

The policy in Nigeria is for Government to only listen to you when you strike and if you don't strike, then be ready to forfeit what should be
rightfully yours
You're on point.

Most people do not reason well, they are to lazy to think, they rather spew thrash from their pits.

Clueless government, full of deceit. They enter into an agreement, and now to honour it is a big problem for them. FG is so daft to think this is all about politics...for God's sake this is not the first time ASUU is going on strike.

ASUU should keep on fighting, this is a good fight. Enough of the decay in our universities!

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Hearme(m): 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
castrokins:

You should ask ASUU how they expend TETFUND. What cause are they fighting for? After years of funding through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund, can you say for a certainty that objectives of the fund were/are met?

Don't go there. Do you know that the 100billion Suswan claim to have raised was from TETFUND? Why will you agree a thing and refuse to budget it? Why ate we spending billions on election that will never be free and fair? Why will the government be preparing 1.5trillion for a census to count goats and chicken in the north to increase allocation?

Aside TETFUND, all state and federal universities would have revolted long ago. In fact as it was said by some one some state universities are worth to be named TETFUND universities.
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by honeeyplum(f): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
When 2 elephants fight,the grasses suffer most..this is not the time to cast blames but rather appease to God or gods in the language they understand that this issue be resolved soon.....Coz its still the students' time being wasted........After paying 200k for a MPH degree,I don't understand why pgschool should join the strike...Wetin push me go do masters sef?
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by Iaz93: 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
anyaekekehinde:

Are they daft, why must you agree to a term you cant implement. even my 10 year old kid sister, refused to sign an agreement we drafted for her as regards time to be spent watching TV.... Mr man so what is your point. was Jonathan not part of the government in 2009, was he not president when the new MOU was signed in 2012. The fact is in Africa, we dont like respecting agreement
100likes!

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by obayaya(m): 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
Midax & Phoenix:
These are excerpts of the agreement between ASUU and federal government for a better understanding of the impasse.

Establishment of the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN)/Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) Re-Negotiation Committee
On Thursday, 14th December, 2006, the then Honourable Minister of Education, Dr. (Mrs.) Obiageli Ezekwesili, on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN), inaugurated the FGN/ASUU Re-negotiation Committee comprising the FGN Re-negotiation Team led by the then

Pro-Chancellor, University of Ibadan, Deacon Gamaliel O. Onosode, OFR,

and the ASUU Re-negotiation Team led by the then President of ASUU, Dr. Abdullahi Sule-Kano.

TERMS OF REFERENCE
The single Term of Reference of the Committee was to re-negotiate the 2001 FGN/ASUU Agreement and enter into a workable Agreement. In the course of discussion, the Committee agreed that the essence of the Re-negotiation was:

(i) To reverse the decay in the University System, in order to reposition it for greater responsibilities in national development;
(ii) To reverse the brain drain, not only by enhancing the remuneration of academic staff, but also by disengaging them from the encumbrances of a unified civil service wage structure;
(iii) To restore Nigerian Universities, through immediate, massive and sustained financial intervention; and,
(iv) To ensure genuine university autonomy and academic freedom.

1.3 COMPOSITION OF THE FGN/ASUU RE-NEGOTIATION COMMITTEE
The FGN/ASUU Re-negotiation Committee comprised the following Members, Advisers, Observers and the Joint Secretariat:

1.3.1 GOVERNMENT RE-NEGOTIATION TEAM
(a) Deacon Gamaliel O. Onosode, OFR Immediate PastTeam Leader & Pro-Chancellor, Chairman, Re-NegoUniversity of Ibadan. tiation Committee
(
b) Prof. Musa Abdullahi Secretary General Member (Deceased CVC & Immediate 30th October, 2008)
Past Pro-Chancellor, University of Jos

(c ) Prof. Greg Iwu, OONImmediate Past ProChancellor, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. Member
(
d) Rev. Father T. E. UwaifoImmediate Past Pro-Chancellor, Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma. Member

(e) Barrister Emeka Nwankpa Former Pro-Chancellor, Abia State University, Uturu. Member

(f) Amb. Muh. Adamu Jumba Immediate Past Pro-Chancellor, Bayero University, Kano. Member
(g) Prof. Mahmood. Yakubu Executive Secretary, ETF Member Abuja
(h) Senator Abdalla Wali Former Pro-Chancellor, University of Technology,
Yola Member (until 23rd February, 2008)

1.3.2 ASUU RE-NEGOTIATION TEAM
(a) Dr. Abdullahi Sule-Kano President Team Leader (until May 2008)
(b) Prof. Ukachukwu Awuzie President Team Leader
(from June, 2008) ( c) Dr. Oladipo FashinaMember
(d) Dr. Peter Ozo-Eson Member
(e) Dr. Ogban Ogban-Iyam Member
(f) Prof. Eskor Toyo Member
(g) Prof. Chukuka Okonjo Member
(h) Prof. Omotoye Olorode Member
(i) Dr. (Mrs) Nnenna N. OtiMember
(j) Prof. Olatunde Oduleye Member
(k) Dr. Biodun Onilude Member
(l) Prof. Idowu Awopetu Member
(m) Dr. Olugbenga Ogunbote Member
(n) Dr. Ralph Ofukwu Member
(o) Prof. Emmanuel Egia Okoegwale Member
(p) Prof. C. O. OrubuMember
(q) Dr. Nasir F. IsaMember ( r) Dr. Suleiman D. AbdulMember
(s) Dr. Festus Iyayi Member
And many others! There was a faculty of senior citizens as advisers and witness too!!

COTD

amongst the negotiation team for ASUU.. there's a certain Prof. Chukuka Okonjo who I believe is professor Ngozi okonjo iweala's father.

Prof. Ngozi okonjo iweala was the minister of. finance in 2009 when this agreement was reached.

so is the honorable minister telling us that his royal Majesty her father was stupid when they renegotiated this agreement.

or was Prof. Ngozi okonjo iweala so daft back then in. 2009 that she didn't see that the agreement wasn't feasible.

if the figures in this agreement were to be adjusted according to inflation, the Federal government should be paying more.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by goziepenzy: 1:12pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: FG Stops Salaries Of Striking Lecturers (ASUU) by omogidi234(m): 1:16pm On Oct 11, 2013
anyaekekehinde:

Prof BJ Olufeagba taught me at FUTA, he was one of the Unilorin 49, they collected all their their entitlements for the time they were sacked, and he was also lecturing at FUTA then... so who lost? Fg of course... Double income for Olufeagba & co. ASUU will laugh last. why on earth will you enter into agreement with someone and will later renege. Jonathan is a beast

Whao, that prof taught you. He was good and tough. I was a law student but there was no way you would be on Permanent Site and you would not hear about BJ Olufeagba in those days.

@ topic, ASUU should invent another style of getting their demands met other than strike. Government is not feeling the immediate impact rather it is the students.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jambites Did You Noticed This??? / A'eesha Humayrah Abaji, ABU Best Graduating Medical Student / Futminna 2011/2012 Admission Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.