Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,489 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454658 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 3:40am On Oct 19, 2013
flynbird:

ok. Just wondering because i told my indian friend about the job applications i put up. And she was suprised cos her international office told her she cant work on-campus because she's a new F-1 student. Shes a grad student just like me too oh.. **confused**

If she's on a GA, all her hours have been covered by the GA, so she can't work elsewhere but if not, she can start IMMEDIATELY.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 3:57am On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

it's actually a simple rule and not in any way vague. Int'l student is allowed to work 20hrs a week at his/her convenience. It could be immediately. (1st semester) or later.

I arrived late in my school and unfortunately, all the on-campus jobs had been taken. So am hoping to get one by Spring term. How's studies?

okay.. Probably the international office is getting strict on students from india
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 3:58am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

If she's on a GA, all her hours have been covered by the GA, so she can't work elsewhere but if not, you can start IMMEDIATELY.

No she's not on GA oh.. i guess it has to do with her nationality..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 4:00am On Oct 19, 2013
flynbird:

No she's not on GA oh.. i guess it has to do with her nationality..

I haven't heard that before too. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 4:04am On Oct 19, 2013
shynepapin101: I know the bosses of this very forum to have being helpful, and must have done shared this before. On my behalf and others having their interviews soon, I'll like to be told how and where to get the u.s embassy prep links or advices.

What do you mean by US embassy prep links That's strange... Well, you are already in the right forum. This thread has been helpful to tons of people now studying in the US.

I will advise you bookmark this page on your browser and don't miss out on any page. You can also pick on some people (NLders) already in the US. Browse through their profiles and sure you will be enlightened by their experiences. #MY 2 CENT .

All the best in your interview.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 4:09am On Oct 19, 2013
flynbird:
okay.. Probably the international office is getting strict on students from india

wondering why the discrimination. Int'l students are treated equally in my school irrespective of the location. Anyway, you got the correct info now. So all the best grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 4:24am On Oct 19, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Right on Point!!! Wow!!! I guess maybe it varies with the kind of airport one arrives @.

Thanks bro.. Will take it along when i'm traveling to the US by December!!!..

Yeah Ricky I won't dispute that... Rules differ in different places in the US.
Wish you safe and pleasant trip in December.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by waledudu(m): 6:49am On Oct 19, 2013
Hi pals.. Can someone with cgpa of 2.70 do master direct in d US?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 7:09am On Oct 19, 2013
flynbird: Wait oh! I dont seem to fully understand this F-1 student 20hrs on-campus work... Is it after the first academic year that we are eligible to work? Or does it apply to just undergrad and not graduate student?

If am not wrong i think some school own maybe instant while another school is after a semester while other school is after 2 semester so it all depend on schools but i strongly advise you to ask ur DSO or international student office.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 19, 2013
@Waledudu, yes but your chances of procuring Admission in a good school is quite slim. So do not place your eggs all in one backet. If you do, it is sayonara!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 7:34am On Oct 19, 2013
Walspring:

If am not wrong i think some school own maybe instant while another school is after a semester while other school is after 2 semester so it all depend on schools but i strongly advise you to ask ur DSO or international student office.

Please can you provide proof for the bolded? Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 7:46am On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

I think Walspring Might be actually Right!!!

Becos, i read of someone here on NL, in previous pages in Part 4, was saying something like his school didn't allow him work until after 2 semesters or so....

Cant actually remember the page i saw that and the person dt wrote that up, but it is towards the last pages of part 4 or so sha....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kunlebal(m): 7:50am On Oct 19, 2013
waledudu: Hi pals.. Can someone with cgpa of 2.70 do master direct in d US?
Yes
Try Google, which course are you looking @
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by shynepapin101: 7:57am On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

What do you mean by US embassy prep links That's strange... Well, you are already in the right forum. This thread has been helpful to tons of people now studying in the US.

I will advise you bookmark this page on your browser and don't miss out on any page. You can also pick on some people (NLders) already in the US. Browse through their profiles and sure you will be enlightened by their experiences. #MY 2 CENT .

All the best in your interview.

Thanks lisadem, you did say something.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Babs911(m): 11:54am On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

Thank you.
Pls my oga u have not help me out concerning my issue, have not see ur PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2013
nomso27: moving train thingz on point, thread eating pages with swag.

i salute the oga at d top justwise for the good job.

greetings! bigfrancis, imperouxx, ricky, walspring, nd everybody. unto part 5 levels.

cool

You welcome bawse.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 4:14pm On Oct 19, 2013
Babs911: Pls my oga u have not help me out concerning my issue, have not see ur PM

It's still same problem- pm alert on NL but no email in my box. Hmm... What I will suggest is to ask bigfrancis, Amefrica or imperioxx etc for my email if you are connected to any of them.

Sorry I will be violating the rule if I drop my contact here. Thanks for your understanding.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 4:45pm On Oct 19, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

I think Walspring Might be actually Right!!!

Becos, i read of someone here on NL, in previous pages in Part 4, was saying something like his school didn't allow him work until after 2 semesters or so....

Cant actually remember the page i saw that and the person dt wrote that up, but it is towards the last pages of part 4 or so sha....

Still not convinced because there isn't a concrete proof yet. Well, let's just drop the debate grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2013
That flyingbird friend's case is different and not common. There must be a clause (or misconceptions) behind that friend's restriction from on campus jobs until after a year.

Such doesn't happen and I'm curious to know why.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 5:46pm On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

Yea, that's why I said I'm deferring to 2015 (Fall). I've started applying for jobs now towards my 29 months OPT but later will drop it for the PhD (God knows the best). My furthering isn't to instruct but because of my love for Pharmacological research jobs and most of them require a PhD degree, since it's all about making lab your pet grin

Aite. Ride on sir.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Babs911(m): 6:07pm On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

It's still same problem- pm alert on NL but no email in my box. Hmm... What I will suggest is to ask bigfrancis, Amefrica or imperioxx etc for my email if you are connected to any of them.

Sorry I will be violating the rule if I drop my contact here. Thanks for your understanding.
cry pls boss so what can we do now? Or if you don't mind can I write my own email in coding here so u will deduce it I wana make it b4 my I-20 got expired. This is the second I-20 the school has mailed to me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Babs911(m): 6:12pm On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx: .
lisadem:

Pls boss anything you can do I got no time again and your brotherly advice is what I think can help. Still never got your PM as well boss.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 7:00pm On Oct 19, 2013
Babs911: Pls boss anything you can do I got no time again and your brotherly advice is what I think can help. Still never got your PM as well boss.

Do you mean me? I sent you messages that same night.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 11:31pm On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

Read the link below and i am sure it will explain to you better but i still advise you to contact your DSO cos some school are differ from each other

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=e34c83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=e34c83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 11:54pm On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

Just check your junks or spam you will see the NL message there...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 12:15am On Oct 20, 2013
Walspring:

Read the link below and i am sure it will explain to you better but i still advise you to contact your DSO cos some school are differ from each other

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=e34c83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=e34c83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

"Employment
F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year."

The bold shows that on campus job is immediately from school to school. This is the first time I'm hearing someone has to wait the following year for an on campus job and which I refute.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Adroitbabz: 12:26am On Oct 20, 2013
lisadem:

Still not convinced because there isn't a concrete proof yet. Well, let's just drop the debate grin

Sir, Arkansas St Uni has d clause of workin afta a semester (for Int'l std)!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 12:28am On Oct 20, 2013
Adroitbabz:

Something must be wrong with them. What do they expect from students? I kick such schools angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 3:04am On Oct 20, 2013
Babs911: Pls boss anything you can do I got no time again and your brotherly advice is what I think can help. Still never got your PM as well boss.

just sent your an email. check your gmail box and let's get started...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 3:10am On Oct 20, 2013
Adroitbabz:

Thanks sir. NOTED! now this is a proof. I wonder why... perhaps such school doesn't care about the welfare of the int'l students depending on the stringency of the clause...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 3:11am On Oct 20, 2013
imperiouxx:

Something must be wrong with them. What do they expect from students? I kick such schools angry

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 3:12am On Oct 20, 2013
Adroitbabz:

As you said....it has a clause.
It says on the website that "Students are not eligible for on-campus employment in their first semester, unless they have written approval from the Department Chair, Director, or their Advisor, stating they need the job". Convincing your advisor you need a job isn't a hard thing to do. My advisor got me my job undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.