Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,376 members, 7,819,368 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (420) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454828 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 5:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
PedigreeCity: Hello houz. Pls how long does it takes embassy to reply an emergency request
3 business days... tho this technical problem ish dey are currently facing might make it longer... a friend of mine is currently in the situation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2014
streetMic: pls I need somebody 2 help pay 4 connection flyt 4rm jfk
can't u pay from naija?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mystiqme: 5:32pm On Aug 01, 2014
cashglue:

Just to give my two cents...you can apply to as many schools as you like and get the number of LORs u want. It depends on how you go about it. It is important to note that inasmuch as it's desirable to get LORs from top professors, these folks are not readily accessible especially in our schools. So it's wise to choose ur cohort of referees bearing in mind who will turn in the letter in time to meet the deadline and who would say great things about you and then their designation. Sit down and make a list of potential referees and see who would do the job best. From experience I know Nigerians whom you ask for LORs especially the academic folk can virtually stall ur application. If ur program accepts professional and academic LORs then take advantage. The professional folk will most likely turn up promptly. In all the personality of the referee and ur previous relationship with them matters. Permit me to say that I had a huge issue getting references for just four schools for fall 2013 admission and ended up not getting admitted because the LORs came in later than the deadline amongst other problems. This yr I applied to ten schools and I didn't not sweat at all to get the rec letters. Start early to talk to potential referees and keep reminding them. Be proactive. Some may ask u to write what u want and send to them to sign and turn in for u. It all depends. My two cents...
Spot on.
Also it is better to use someone who will write a specific recommendation specifying your strengths than someone who will tell you to go and photocopy a yellowed letter he has used for all of his students since 1960. I didn't use any profs because of that. I used people who allowed me to write my letters myself, and trust me to write better thing. wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by azeezbaba(m): 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
Idazbawz: namesake... cheesy

Sake Baba, I guess you are one of the gurus in this house, please respond to my post above. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperioux: 5:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
Idazbawz: this is where I belong sir

Ok

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperioux: 5:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
Graviton2:

I'm having an even harder situation, all the schools I found are requesting for professor and school official recommendations — the annoying part is, I'm very far away from my secondary school.

Check your email.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 5:53pm On Aug 01, 2014
streetMic: pls I need somebody 2 help pay 4 connection flyt 4rm jfk
I replied your ping already
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 6:00pm On Aug 01, 2014
azeezbaba: Hi gurus in the house,== hi

I have a valid b1/b2 visa (Including my wife and 1 year old son) and I have been to the US once. Now I intend to go there for my MSC (Spring 2015)= hope you know you are eligible for an interview as from November??. I have my admission letter but awaiting my I-20. My questions are:

1. Should I apply for the F1 visa with my family or I should go 1st then my wife and son go at a later date? (The reason I asked this question is that, wont the VO be suspicious that we are immigrating?)== Go alone sire... you already have a strong family ties... at least they can confirm dat on their system

2. God forbid that the F1 is refused, will my b1/b2 still be valid?== i'm not sure about this, but I don't think f1 status should affect your b1/b2

3. What are the likely questions considering the fact that I traveled to the US in April 2014 with my family?since you've been to the US before, you are most likely to get your f1 visa with ease… just be prepared to explain your ocassion there... just know about your school and intending major very well...questions like; what was your business in US in April?? When did u come back?? What about your family, are they back in Nigeria?? may ariseI'm sure you'll get your visa approved with ease

4. I didnt take the GRE test before I was given my admission. Is that a problem?== since your school waived it, you have less problem with dat... just print out your conversation with an official of the school, talking about GRE been waived..... should in case d consulate officer asks about d test, just say; "I intend writing it, but my school waived it.. I printed out my conversation with an official(Mr/Mrs blah blah)"

Thank you
you are good namesake cool , go get your visa f-1 visa grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2014
thibcyrain:
yeah d chuuby guy,looks fresh.
I wont b stupid to tell dem am in a Nigeria school.i was on a green native,i think i was easily noticed.i have a natural frowning face

pls do u no d next available date and do u think i will b granted emergency appointment
that was not my guy.

Available date is august 16th,domex said that this morning.When is your classes/orientation?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2014
imperioux:

Check your email.

I have replied, Sir. cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 6:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
steve
Congrats bro...
Wen is your school resuming?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 6:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hello all...
I wanna choose my flight(emirate) seat..... how can I get a seat beside window??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 01, 2014
Idazbawz: steve
Congrats bro...
Wen is your school resuming?
there are two Steve here

Stevecrun & Steve4ever,but only one crun

So,which of the Steve bro?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 6:34pm On Aug 01, 2014
stevecrun: there are two Steve here

Stevecrun & Steve4ever,but only one crun

So,which of the Steve bro?
crun bro grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
Idazbawz: crun bro grin
lol..Thanks my man.

My classes begin on 25th bro,pressures from my family to travel.#TeamKLM

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by mandybaby2007: 6:52pm On Aug 01, 2014
azeezbaba: Hi gurus in the house,

I have a valid b1/b2 visa (Including my wife and 1 year old son) and I have been to the US once. Now I intend to go there for my MSC (Spring 2015). I have my admission letter but awaiting my I-20. My questions are:

1. Should I apply for the F1 visa with my family or I should go 1st then my wife and son go at a later date? (The reason I asked this question is that, wont the VO be suspicious that we are immigrating?)

2. God forbid that the F1 is refused, will my b1/b2 still be valid?

3. What are the likely questions considering the fact that I traveled to the US in April 2014 with my family?

4. I didnt take the GRE test before I was given my admission. Is that a problem?

Thank you
Go first and arrange for your family later, if the whole family is going at once then home ties is questionable. With ur B1/BE visa u will get d F1 easily, my roommate came in thru d same route she flunked all her F1 interview questions she didn't know why she chose d course(MA Public Admin), she didn't know why she switched from Bsc Business Admin to MPA, she didn't even know why she chose the school but d VO still granted d F1 visa, I asume its cos she already had a B1/B2 running. One of d likely questions mayb who will take care of ur wife in ur absence, so I assume she is working nd can handle things in ur absence. Also who is sponsoring ur trip nd why whoever is sponsoring.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by mandybaby2007: 6:53pm On Aug 01, 2014
azeezbaba: Hi gurus in the house,
2. God forbid that the F1 is refused, will my b1/b2 still be valid?

4. I didnt take the GRE test before I was given my admission. Is that a problem?

Thank you
Even if God forbid d F1 doesn't workout(which is not likely) your B1/B2 is stil very valid cos u got it based on its own merit.

4.Not all courses require GRE so its not a problem, hope u took toefl though? If No, well hopefully ur B1/B2 will help u nd make them overlook all that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Rijo02: 7:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
Wat a long journey.........I thank God for journey mercies granted to all passengers on board Emirates from Naija to Dubai to JFK. Never knew I had a NLder on board, Datanonymous, until we stopped over at dubai. It was fun to have met such a humble fine yoruba guy. We didn't meet again when we landed at JFK cos he has an aunt yo chill with in NY but I had to connect to GA via US Airways.
Pls guys I will post my travel experience as soon as I can.....I truly need to sleep bt the worst is dat the sleep has refused to come.
Less I forget, I rejoice with all who are rejoicing n mourn with those whom it hasn't worked for.
@Stevecum.....continue to stay off those bad things you stayed off before you got your Visa. It definitely will keep you in a good work with the Lord.
All the best house.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by li2pac1717: 7:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
Rijo02: Wat a long journey.........I thank God for journey mercies granted to all passengers on board Emirates from Naija to Dubai to JFK. Never knew I had a NLder on board, Datanonymous, until we stopped over at dubai. It was fun to have met such a humble fine yoruba guy. We didn't meet again when we landed at JFK cos he has an aunt yo chill with in NY but I had to connect to GA via US Airways.
Pls guys I will post my travel experience as soon as I can.....I truly need to sleep bt the worst is dat the sleep has refused to come.
Less I forget, I rejoice with all who are rejoicing n mourn with those whom it hasn't worked for.
@Stevecum.....continue to stay off those bad things you stayed off before you got your Visa. It definitely will keep you in a good work with the Lord.
All the best house.
am really happy for you Bro. Please what are the document required at the port of entry at jfk? Also, what re things require when checking in at lagos(los) airport?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by li2pac1717: 7:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
Gurus. Please is it permitted to take our local herbs to USA?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by decreamaster(m): 7:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
Rijo02: Wat a long journey.........I thank God for journey mercies granted to all passengers on board Emirates from Naija to Dubai to JFK. Never knew I had a NLder on board, Datanonymous, until we stopped over at dubai. It was fun to have met such a humble fine yoruba guy. We didn't meet again when we landed at JFK cos he has an aunt yo chill with in NY but I had to connect to GA via US Airways.
All the best house.

i love this.may i also share mine very soon in jesus name. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by unnamdi79(m): 7:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
It wasn't easy..I left for abuja on staurday with abc...got to abj @ 6:00 or so.I was meant to stay in a hotel but my uncle offered to help me out so I stayed with him..On sunday by 12:30,we left for the airport.I flew arik to lagos..I had excess luggage so I paid for it #3500.My uncle was like,I don't like this Flight itinerary ..he has a friend in dakar cus my flight was from abj to lagos den to dakar and to washington...he gave me his friends number in dakar.We left for lagos from abj,our flight was delayed for hours.We got to lagos and my flight to dakar was scheduled for 8:30 but it was moved to 7:45..Meanwhile arik forgot my baggage at abuja and I was at the baggage services making complaints,*my time just dey waste*I did the check in and den rushed off to immigration..I was telling pple I was gonna miss my flight so evryone just gave me chance..after err'thing,we were settled for the flight but by 9pm nothing was happening and d told us we were gonna leave by 11pm...most of us had connecting flights to US....by 11pm..nothing was working and by 12:30 we started boarding. meanwhile my flight to washington from dakar was for 2:15 am..We got to dakar by 4:00am and I realised my flight to DC had left,I was stranded,nobdody,no money,couldn't understand their language..a man gave me his phone and stayed with me at the restaurant till morning,I tipped him 20 dollars and he was bent on taking everything I got* God punish the devil*..He was yelling at me to tell my family to bring money for him..Luckily,I got the number my uncle gave me and he came to my rescue,he spoke french,we called my mum I'm maryland and she sent in money via western union and we cashed it,went to south african airways to make a penalty for missing the flight and that will enable me get on the next flight,the told us to wait till 10:30pm...we called arik and they insisted we should make the penalty and they were gonna refund me.10:30pm we made the penalty,got the ticket and boarded by 2:15am...got to DC by 6:45am...I just thank God for sending a helper,u never wanna experience such in your life(a country where u don't understand their language)...thank God I'm in maryland,chilling and eating chicken like never before...meant to report in school on 4th august but there's no money on me...(God help me again)..thinking of deferring my admission till spring...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
All the best house.
Thank God for journey mercies bro..Its being good having you around bro..

Go rest those tired legs!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by unnamdi79(m): 7:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
At the point of entry,I wasn't searched,they just asked who was sponsoring me,why I was in the US,my I-20,why I came to maryland and not Texas..that's all....I'm in OBAMALAND again....it feels good to be back

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by thibcyrain: 7:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
thibcyrain: painful,but I think I accept my faults.
Visa denied on d 31st july.But thankin jah for gift of life.life moves on
vo-u are 20
me-no sir i am 22
vo-good
vo-so what have u been doing for 5 years now
me-in 2010,i took traning in electrical simulation software and object orientated programming,i finished 2012 AND IMPROVED my soldering skills to prepare for d electrical world
i stated sat class in 2012
vo-good,can i see ur SaT results
me-sure sir,
vo-u have missed over 9 pages
me-that is d summary,u can please confirm
vo-i dont have acces to that *keeps typing for like 2mins
vo-so why so*i didnt hear
me-i have a very curious*cuts in
vo-that not what I asked
me-pls repeat ur self
vo-why are u choosing sdsu and not MIT,conel,Harvard,texas
me-IEEE,is d largest professional bodi for electrical engineers,they rank sdsu with this schools*cuts in
vo-am sure u did not memorise that on d school web
me-no
vo-so u saying if I check I won't find it
me-yes air
vo-so what else
me(I shud have said low tution and killed it)me-dey allow undergraduate research while I no this other schools allow at graduate level.
vo-ok,so which other school did u choose
me-claflin universityvo* cuts in
vo-that is a small school,and u going for a demanding course
vo-so which order 1
me-howard university and clever land state
vo-u shud b going to Harvard,texas,mit and not small schools
vo-keeps typing
vo-starts blinking eyes like a frog
vo-so u paying
me-smiles,my uncle
vo-what does he do
me-he own a civil engineering firm that installs boreholes for lagos state government
vo-so why shud he sponsor u and not or dad
me my dad is late and he as been in charge of my edu ever since I was in primary school
vo.so his going to sponsor u and u not going to offer him noting,xpecially now that u not going into his field
me-i have promised him I will start up an electrical department with his firm to expand himhim
vo-smiles*shey I b mumu abi
vo-does he have a visa*starts blinking eyes like a gay again
me-no
vo-starts typing
vo-whr does he live
me-he stays here on d island
vo-ok
vo-types for like 5 mins
me-already feeling fly say I have it
vo-keeps typing
vo-i will give u or passport back u not qualified
me-(*in my mind)she u dey wine me no.stop am
vo-gives me passport and looks to his computer like a mugumugu
me-works out like a boss.

pls gurus hep,I dont no if I shud reapply or just continue with my bsc am currently in my third year studying electrical engineering
oyinbo come dey use me wash
hep me gurus to decide sha.confused tho
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Ashigolo(m): 7:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
li2pac1717: am really happy for you Bro. Please what are the document required at the port of entry at jfk? Also, what re things require when checking in at lagos(los) airport?
congrats on your safe trip bro. Pls, how many hours interval did you leave between your time of arrival at jfk and time of departure to your destination. How many hours did you spend on POE clearance?.. I'm yet to book my connecting flight from jfk so I wanna make sure I leave enough time for the clearance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Ashigolo(m): 7:46pm On Aug 01, 2014
All the best house.
congrats on your safe trip bro. Pls, how many
hours interval did you leave between your time of arrival at jfk and time of departure to your destination. How many hours did you spend on POE clearance?.. I'm yet to book my connecting flight from jfk so I wanna make sure I leave enough time for the clearance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bimbola85(m): 7:53pm On Aug 01, 2014
All the best house.

Thank God for Journey Mercies bro. We dey follow you for back.

#TeamEmiratesAirline

Anyone heading to Missouri?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 01, 2014
unnamdi79: At the point of entry,I wasn't searched,they just asked who was sponsoring me,why I was in the US,my I-20,why I came to maryland and not Texas..that's all....I'm in OBAMALAND again....it feels good to be back

Do not try to defer in US. You'll get outta status.

Thank God for journey mercies!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by davidgunther: 7:57pm On Aug 01, 2014
unnamdi79: It wasn't easy..I left for abuja on staurday with abc...got to abj @ 6:00 or so.I was meant to stay in a hotel but my uncle offered to help me out so I stayed with him..On sunday by 12:30,we left for the airport.I flew arik to lagos..I had excess luggage so I paid for it #3500.My uncle was like,I don't like this Flight itinerary ..he has a friend in dakar cus my flight was from abj to lagos den to dakar and to washington...he gave me his friends number in dakar.We left for lagos from abj,our flight was delayed for hours.We got to lagos and my flight to dakar was scheduled for 8:30 but it was moved to 7:45..Meanwhile arik forgot my baggage at abuja and I was at the baggage services making complaints,*my time just dey waste*I did the check in and den rushed off to immigration..I was telling pple I was gonna miss my flight so evryone just gave me chance..after err'thing,we were settled for the flight but by 9pm nothing was happening and d told us we were gonna leave by 11pm...most of us had connecting flights to US....by 11pm..nothing was working and by 12:30 we started boarding. meanwhile my flight to washington from dakar was for 2:15 am..We got to dakar by 4:00am and I realised my flight to DC had left,I was stranded,nobdody,no money,couldn't understand their language..a man gave me his phone and stayed with me at the restaurant till morning,I tipped him 20 dollars and he was bent on taking everything I got* God punish the devil*..He was yelling at me to tell my family to bring money for him..Luckily,I got the number my uncle gave me and he came to my rescue,he spoke french,we called my mum I'm maryland and she sent in money via western union and we cashed it,went to south african airways to make a penalty for missing the flight and that will enable me get on the next flight,the told us to wait till 10:30pm...we called arik and they insisted we should make the penalty and they were gonna refund me.10:30pm we made the penalty,got the ticket and boarded by 2:15am...got to DC by 6:45am...I just thank God for sending a helper,u never wanna experience such in your life(a country where u don't understand their language)...thank God I'm in maryland,chilling and eating chicken like never before...meant to report in school on 4th august but there's no money on me...(God help me again)..thinking of deferring my admission till spring...

Congrats and welcome to US. No do not defer, you can sign up for monthly payment plan which will allow you to pay every month and if your school is nice enough and you go ahead to talk to them about having financial issues then they might not be strict with you on paying monthly. You can just pay whenever you have the money BUT you have to pay up before the semester ends.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by davidgunther: 8:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
azeezbaba:

I am in similar situation as davidgunther, although self sponsored

Hello sir (I suppose), what similar situation are you talking about? I am lost because I never said I was in any. Just confused and no offense please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by davidgunther: 8:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
li2pac1717: Gurus. Please is it permitted to take our local herbs to USA?

I doubt you will be allowed to take local herbs to the states but you can opt for the modernized herbs in capsule form.

(1) (2) (3) ... (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.