Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,937 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? (9428 Views)

Why Is Virginity So Important In Abrahamic Religion? / Satan Doesn't Exist; All These Abrahamic Religions Are Deceiving Everybody / Difference Between Traditional Paganism And Abrahamic Monotheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by emotional(m): 8:50am On Nov 13, 2013
@FOLYKAZE. Bros u harsh small grin some of your respond carries some elements(tones)which reminds me of my old-days teacher,so if I sense that'' e-whip'' I take d next exit.

My hand raised for more questions.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:11am On Nov 13, 2013
emotional: @FOLYKAZE. Bros u harsh small grin some of your respond carries some elements(tones)which reminds me of my old-days teacher,so if I sense that'' e-whip'' I take d next exit.

My hand raised for more questions.

lol. Not harsh really. Some people can just make you go crazy. Ask your question pls.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 10:35am On Nov 13, 2013
NativeBoy:

Still the point remains that you and FOLYKAZE stand corrected that there are strength comparisons in pagan traditions. Otherwise, how did Cronos defeat Uranus and how did Zeus defeat Cronos?
Everybody stands corrected. No one knows ALL

but u know so little
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by emotional(m): 11:18am On Nov 13, 2013
Thanks.
Orunmila/Ifa, requires(animal) sacrifices, right? Is Ikin/Opele also d receptor of d blood? (Where d blood is sprinkled)

Initiation, scenario where d initiates is absent while d parents are present,how possible?

Divination through phone, your view?
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 11:31am On Nov 13, 2013
emotional: Thanks.
Orunmila/Ifa, requires(animal) sacrifices, right? Is Ikin/Opele also d receptor of d blood? (Where d blood is sprinkled)

Initiation, scenario where d initiates is absent while d parents are present,how possible?

Orunmila doesn't ask for Sacrifice. He prescribes the sacrifice to give other Orisha for various needs people might have.

No Ikin and Opele are purely Divination tools, Orunmila doesnt even like Blood

yes Divination through phone. I once read an article here on NL, the clients might be far away and speak to the babalawo on phone telling him of their problems and the babalawo would ask Ifa on their behalf and relate the best interpretation back to the clients on Phone
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by emotional(m): 11:54am On Nov 13, 2013
@macof.
Thanks bro. What abt that of initiation?
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 12:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
emotional: @macof.
Thanks bro. What abt that of initiation?

Initiation takes 5-8 years depends on how fast u grab and also Your baba-oluko

I dont know much about Initiation as most Babalawo wouldnt tell u anything, unless u are really smart with the kind of questions u ask them.

The thing is All these pagan knowledge aren't just open to anyone, The little I know about Orunmila and Ifa is because my family is devoted and when they hear my name they tell me more than they would to other people..

I remember asking an Awo-Osun some questions, He probably didnt want to tell me anything because I was a Christian then, apart from the general odo-Osun is a healing river(which I tested) and her being the wife of Sango(which everybody knows). He didnt want to tell me about her role in the Universe, and wat makes the Odo-Osun a healing water.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by ubl6: 12:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
@Folykaze, i know you are just a confused guy. You were a christian, then you claim to join islam, then atheism and now to so called african paganism. So you don't know what is good/bad for you. You just keep changing religions, only God knows what you will become tomorrow. Should i then be suprised by what wrote?
FOLYKAZE:
And I am dealing with quran, pls take your Haddit elsewhere.
And why did you ignore this verse. Say, "What thing is greatest as a testimony?" Say, "Allah is witness between me and you. This Qur'an was revealed to me that I may warn you thereby AND WHOMEVER IT REACHES." You see you can choose to take whatever you like and ignore explicit texts. But just know that you cannot prove your claims from the Quran. And stop associating me with "Taqiyya" pls, it belongs to the followers of Shi'ism and I'm not of them..
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by NativeBoy: 4:02pm On Nov 13, 2013
macof: Everybody stands corrected. No one knows ALL

but u know so little

Now that you admit that there are strength comparisons, can you speak to what happens when two cultures go to war against each other? Is the victor the person with the strongest god?
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 4:36pm On Nov 13, 2013
NativeBoy:

Now that you admit that there are strength comparisons, can you speak to what happens when two cultures go to war against each other? Is the victor the person with the strongest god?

lol I didnt agree anything

The gods would always intervene when u seek them.

lemme use this as an example

Israel and Ekiti(ekiti was a nation back then) are to fight a war
Israel's god is El shaddai(god of mountains and fruitfulness). Ekiti's god is Orunmila(god of wisdom, knowledge and divination)

if Israel stays in an area full of mountains Ekiti is toast but let them leave their territory and fight in plain lands or forest Then Ekiti would gain victory through their intelligent god
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
emotional: Thanks.

Ifa do not take sacrifices but it direct you on nourishing other orisas. Read about animal sacrifice here http://ofunmeji.com/2012/10/04/the-hows-and-whys-of-animal-sacrifice-in-traditional-ifa/.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by NativeBoy: 7:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
macof:

lol I didnt agree anything

The gods would always intervene when u seek them.

lemme use this as an example

Israel and Ekiti(ekiti was a nation back then) are to fight a war
Israel's god is El shaddai(god of mountains and fruitfulness). Ekiti's god is Orunmila(god of wisdom, knowledge and divination)

if Israel stays in an area full of mountains Ekiti is toast but let them leave their territory and fight in plain lands or forest Then Ekiti would gain victory through their intelligent god

So pagan gods have weaknesses in certain areas. Why worship them?

Yes, El-Shaddai is one of the names of the God of the bible but there are tons of other names as well. Such as Melech Haolam: king of the universe. Also El-Shaddai means God Almighty.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:51pm On Nov 13, 2013
ubl6: @Folykaze, i know you are just a confused guy. You were a christian, then you claim to join islam, then atheism and now to so called african paganism. So you don't know what is good/bad for you. You just keep changing religions, only God knows what you will become tomorrow. Should i then be suprised by what wrote?

I am confused? Lol.

I was a christian because I was born into it. After some years, I took a step into Islam until I realised it whole lot of BS and I made my way out. Agnostism took some short period before I finally landed in atheism. And where did I tell you I am pagan? Sorry bro....I am a spiritual atheist who embrace tradition. I am not initiated into Ifa cult but I read books about it and question priest too. I am not pagan pls stop lying on my personality.

And for calling me a confused person, I take that as a compliment from you. Here this clearly. I am not a religion puppet or fall into indoctrination like you. I dont do things because my parent do it. I am human like them and they gave me my freedom to explore to any length. You want me to be slave like the quran called you or the submit by the sword or surrendering into dogmatism and terror?

ubl6: And why did you ignore this verse. Say, "What thing is greatest as a testimony?" Say, "Allah is witness between me and you. This Qur'an was revealed to me that I may warn you thereby AND WHOMEVER IT REACHES." You see you can choose to take whatever you like and ignore explicit texts. But just know that you cannot prove your claims from the Quran.

There is a designated place which the quran is going to which is the Arab country or the cities around mecca. The revelation is meant only for those that speak arabic so WHOEVER IT REACH there qualifies people in mecca and it surroundings. If whoever is what is confusing you......I cant be in the front of the class and say whoever among you that do not submit his/her assignment will be punish....and from there you should be thinking I am refering to all the students on campus.

Mecca and the cities around it is the subject point of the revelation and Whoever it reach qualifies the subject.

ubl6: And stop associating me with "Taqiyya" pls, it belongs to the followers of Shi'ism and I'm not of them..

You should have come clean because lies and deceit isn't what I welcome. You were lying in your previous post....trying to redefine a simple term as whole world which is not. That is taqiyya. It part of Islam and not specific to a sect.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:57pm On Nov 13, 2013
NativeBoy:

Yes, El-Shaddai is one of the names of the God of the bible but there are tons of other names as well. Such as Melech Haolam: king of the universe. Also El-Shaddai means God Almighty.

Quit dishonesty. Can you fly a ship which is purposed for moving water?

Yahweh is the God of hills and El-shaddai means God of the mountains (rock could also symbolize strength and destruction)

Your God was defeated in judge 1:19 by mere human when they fought on the plain/valley because he is powerless there but do greatly on mountains and hills.

Pls go and study your bible very well instead of embarrassing yourself with this ignorance you displaying around. Here is a glaring points about Yahweh or El-shaddai as God of the hills https://www.nairaland.com/1508769/christians-god-idol-hills
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 8:03pm On Nov 13, 2013
NativeBoy:

yes pagan gods have restrictions. A mountain God like Yahweh has little power in the thick Forest.

Lol u always make me laugh, all ur knowledge is about Bible, yet u don't even know the Bible properly.

Shaddai(shaddu/shadda) means mountain dweller,
In another close context of the name "Shad" means one of the breast "shadayim" means breasts, which is a sign of fertility

In no way is "Shaddai" meaning Almighty. King James is either a big liar or a man full of erroneous translations.

King of the universe in canaanite spirituality is "El elyon"

You might not know this but Moses taught the Israelis to recognize the "Elohim" as one body. So at times names of other Gods might be attached to El Shaddai
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
macof:

yes pagan gods have restrictions. A mountain God like Yahweh has little power in the thick Forest.

Lol u always make me laugh, all ur knowledge is about Bible, yet u don't even know the Bible properly.

Shaddai(shaddu/shadda) means mountain dweller,
In another close context of the name "Shad" means one of the breast "shadayim" means breasts, which is a sign of fertility

In no way is "Shaddai" meaning Almighty. King James is either a big liar or a man full of erroneous translations.

King of the universe in canaanite spirituality is "El elyon"

You might not know this but Moses taught the Israelis to recognize the "Elohim" as one body. So at times names of other Gods might be attached to El Shaddai

The guy ignorance is alarming. He swallowed all the lies he was feed with. Even a day old baby knows what it not good for body. His brain is entirely manipulated with programmed lies. He want to deny Yahweh isn't god of the hills when every evidence is there in the bible
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 8:38pm On Nov 13, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Ifa do not take sacrifices but it direct you on nourishing other orisas. Read about animal sacrifice here http://ofunmeji.com/2012/10/04/the-hows-and-whys-of-animal-sacrifice-in-traditional-ifa/.

Wow! I learned from things from this link, I always thought Ifa priesthood training doesn't need animal sacrifice. first time am seeing animal sacrifice and its importance to Orisha-Human relationship
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by NativeBoy: 10:57pm On Nov 13, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Quit dishonesty. Can you fly a ship which is purposed for moving water?

Yahweh is the God of hills and El-shaddai means God of the mountains (rock could also symbolize strength and destruction)

Your God was defeated in judge 1:19 by mere human when they fought on the plain/valley because he is powerless there but do greatly on mountains and hills.

Pls go and study your bible very well instead of embarrassing yourself with this ignorance you displaying around. Here is a glaring points about Yahweh or El-shaddai as God of the hills https://www.nairaland.com/1508769/christians-god-idol-hills

The old Judges 1:19. I guess this was meant to catch me unawares as though I had not read the bible. This is a typical example of cherry-picking scripture. Perhaps you could read Joshua 11:1-9 and Joshua 17:14-19 and Judges 2:1-4. It is clear that they would have defeated the Canaanites as they had done earlier but they were afraid and decided not take them on. As a result of their unbelief, the Canaanite tribes remained in the land.

I sincerely hope you aren't consciously trying to distort scripture. Were Israel on the hill when the Red Sea was parted? Or when Egypt was afflicted with multiple plagues? How about when the entire earth was flooded?

I will stick to facts while you and Macof are more than welcome to your name-calling. I guess that might convince someone.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
NativeBoy:

The old Judges 1:19. I guess this was meant to catch me unawares as though I had not read the bible. This is a typical example of cherry-picking scripture. Perhaps you could read Joshua 11:1-9 and Joshua 17:14-19 and Judges 2:1-4. It is clear that they would have defeated the Canaanites as they had done earlier but they were afraid and decided not take them on. As a result of their unbelief, the Canaanite tribes remained in the land.

When I say you are completely ignorant, just accept that in shame and return to where you can study more bible more efficiently.

You were lying here that El-shaddai mean God Almighty while rather it mean God of the mountains. You were praising your deluded Yahweh over pagan Gods that he is stronger while your Yahweh cant defeat ordinary foot soldiers because he is impotent on plains except on hill countries and mountain. I added a link to help clear ignorance with knowledge installation and you are here yelling that I do cherry picking. Pls if you want to preach about marriage from the bible, do you go about quoting how Jesus heal miraculously? You went far accusing me because truth is damn bitter.

Base on the premises we are on this thread, we are discussing about Yahweh potential and stronghold comparing it to Pagan Gods. Yahweh is the idol of the hill and the bible attest to this. That was why I quoted judge 1:19. Read it clearly:

Judges 1:19
King James Version (KJV)
19 And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

^^^^the red part is the clear evidence that Yahweh is strong just like other Pagan Gods in a designated field. Because he is the god of hills.

NativeBoy:

I sincerely hope you aren't consciously trying to distort scripture. Were Israel on the hill when the Red Sea was parted? Or when Egypt was afflicted with multiple plagues? How about when the entire earth was flooded?

Is it Egypt, Moses and the crossing of Red sea you want to bring about? Sorry such incident didn't happen. Here is prove from wikipedia :

THE EXODUS

Historicity

The consensus among biblical scholars today is that there was never any exodus of the proportions described in the Bible, [ 14 ]and that the story is best seen as theology, a story illustrating how the God of Israel acted to save and strengthen his chosen people, and not as history. [ 10 ]Nevertheless, the discussion of the historical reality of the exodus has a long history, and continues to attract attention.

Numbers and logistics

According to Exodus12:37-38, the Israelites numbered "about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children," plus many non-Israelites and livestock. [ 15 ] Numbers1:46 gives a more precise total of 603,550 men aged 20 and up. [ 16 ]The 600,000, plus wives, children, the elderly, and the "mixed multitude" of non-Israelites would have numbered some 2 million people, [ 17 ]compared with an entire Egyptian population in 1250 BCE of around 3 to 3.5 million. [ 18 ]Marching ten abreast, and without accounting for livestock, they would have formed a line 150 miles long. [ 19 ]
No evidence has been found that indicates Egypt ever suffered such a demographic and economic catastrophe or that the Sinai desert ever hosted (or could have hosted) these millions of people and their herds.

Archaeology

A century of research by archaeologists and Egyptologists has found no evidence which can be directly related to the Exodus captivity and the escape and travels through the wilderness, [ 3 ]and most archaeologists have abandoned the archaeological investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit". [ 4 ]A number of theories have been put forward to account for the origins of the Israelites, and despite differing details they agree on Israel's Canaanite origins. [ 24 ]The culture of the earliest Israelite settlements is Canaanite, their cult-objects are those of the Canaanite god El, the pottery remains in the local Canaanite tradition, and the alphabet used is early Canaanite, and almost the sole marker distinguishing the "Israelite" villages from Canaanite sites is an absence of pig bones, although whether even this is an ethnic marker or is due to other factors remains a matter of dispute

Red sea is fable

NativeBoy:

I will stick to facts while you and Macof are more than welcome to your name-calling. I guess that might convince someone.

2 Corinthians 11:6
King James Version (KJV)

6 But though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge; but we have been throughly made manifest among you in all things.

Truth is scary and bitter when swallow. Yahweh is an Idol of the hills
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:50pm On Nov 13, 2013
Adding to the Red sea fable...

Chronology

The chronology of the Exodus story likewise underlines its essentially religious rather than historical nature.

Date

The Seder Olam Rabbah(ca. 2nd century CE) determines the commencement of the Exodus to 2448 AM (1313 BCE). This date has become traditional in Rabbinic Judaism. [ 36 ]
1 Kings 6:1 states that the Exodus occurred 480 years before the construction of Solomon's Temple, which would imply an Exodus c.1446 BCE, during Egypt's Eighteenth Dynasty. [ 37 ] By the mid-20th century it had become apparent that the archaeological record made this date impossible: Egyptian records of that period do not mention the expulsion of any group that could be identified with over two million Hebrew slaves, nor any events which could be identified with the Biblical plagues, and digs in the 1930s had failed to find traces of the simultaneous destruction of Canaanite cities c.1400 BCE — in fact many of them, including Jericho, the first Canaanite city to fall to the Israelites according to the Book of Joshua, were uninhabited at the time.

Your argument on Egypt and Red sea is locked as it have no historical base.

And where is the fact that the world was flooded? No evidence....the whole noah story is an allegory for theological purposes.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by NativeBoy: 3:45am On Nov 14, 2013
Excellent use of Wikipedia. But what you have put forward offers no evidence at all. What you have put forward is that because archaeology hasn't discovered anything that means that it doesn't exist. Essentially, you have said that the absence of evidence is evidence of absence. You know, many took that same position about the universe having a beginning, the existence of Pontus Pilate, the existence of King David, etc. Well, eventually the truth came out.

Please just google El Shaddai and see that it also holds the translation "God Almighty." As I clearly pointed out, you need to read the whole thing in context. As Joshua proclaimed God already told them to take the land despite their concern of iron chariots. As the other scripture I provided, the Israelites became chicken. They didn't want to face the remaining Canaanite tribes. Then as the last scripture I provided, God declares that he will not drive out the Canaanites because of their unbelief. A common theme in the bible.

You know what is also interesting is that archaeologists are humans like you and I and they have bias. Many set out on their expeditions to ensure that they undermine scripture. It matters not though because the truth will prevail. Just like when evidence started pouring in the 60s that the universe had a beginning. The many scientists in the American and British science societies were furious because they knew it would further lend credence to the Bible. Imagine that.

FOLYKAZE: Adding to the Red sea fable...

Your argument on Egypt and Red sea is locked as it have no historical base.

And where is the fact that the world was flooded? No evidence....the whole noah story is an allegory for theological purposes.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:15am On Nov 14, 2013
NativeBoy: Excellent use of Wikipedia. But what you have put forward offers no evidence at all. What you have put forward is that because archaeology hasn't discovered anything that means that it doesn't exist. Essentially, you have said that the absence of evidence is evidence of absence. You know, many took that same position about the universe having a beginning, the existence of Pontus Pilate, the existence of King David, etc. Well, eventually the truth came out.

Please just google El Shaddai and see that it also holds the translation "God Almighty." As I clearly pointed out, you need to read the whole thing in context. As Joshua proclaimed God already told them to take the land despite their concern of iron chariots. As the other scripture I provided, the Israelites became chicken. They didn't want to face the remaining Canaanite tribes. Then as the last scripture I provided, God declares that he will not drive out the Canaanites because of their unbelief. A common theme in the bible.

You know what is also interesting is that archaeologists are humans like you and I and they have bias. Many set out on their expeditions to ensure that they undermine scripture. It matters not though because the truth will prevail. Just like when evidence started pouring in the 60s that the universe had a beginning. The many scientists in the American and British science societies were furious because they knew it would further lend credence to the Bible. Imagine that.

Your ignorance really is hell. You are far from redemption. Gaddem.

Is it only Archaeology evidence you see there? What about Chronology, Numbers and logistics, Historicity, dating and many others included there? Why cant you just take your time, read through the post and the attached link, ignite your brain, reason and make conclusion?

Pls bring out your evidence that El-shaddai mean Almighty God. All this cheap talk and rant is baseless.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 10:18am On Nov 14, 2013
NativeBoy:

you read not to understand

Joshua 11:2-3 states that Israel's enemies lived both on mountains and around mountains.

Joshua 17: 16 states that the children of Joseph were not confident because the hills were not enough

Joshua 2:9 states that Joshua was buried in the mount of Ephraim close to the hill of gaash. Moses also disappeared/died on a mountain.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:38am On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Joshua 11:2-3 states that Israel's enemies lived both on mountains and around mountains.

Joshua 17: 16 states that the children of Joseph were not confident because the hills were not enough

Joshua 2:9 states that Joshua was buried in the mount of Ephraim close to the hill of gaash. Moses also disappeared/died on a mountain.

Did not hesitate to check those verses. Bros your smackdown skill is epic. Good job
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 12:43pm On Nov 14, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Did not hesitate to check those verses. Bros your smackdown skill is epic. Good job

grin yes it's important to check up. there's every proof to El Shaddai being the God of hills
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by dragunov: 12:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
FOLYKAZE: [size=18pt]ISLAM[/size]

Islam is a monotheistic religious tradition that developed in the Middle East in the 7th century C.E. Islam, which literally means "surrender" or "submission," was founded on the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad as an expression of surrender to the will of Allah, the creator and sustainer of the world. The Quran, the sacred text of Islam, contains the teachings of the Prophet that were revealed to him from Allah. Islam faith started by prophet mohamed was composed of Judaism, christianity and eastern cultures. Muslim worship in mosque and the symbol of Islam is a moon and a star.

[size=18pt]What the Quran say about Islam, and who it message are directed to[/size]

Quran 6:92
Sahih International

And this is a Book which We have sent down, blessed and confirming what was before it, that you may warn the Mother of Cities and those around it. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in it, and they are maintaining their prayers. (The mother of towns, Umul Qura, is Mecca.)

42:7
Sahih International

And thus We have revealed to you an Arabic Qur'an that you may warn the Mother of Cities ]Makkah[ and those around it and warn of the Day of Assembly, about which there is no doubt. A party will be in Paradise and a party in the Blaze.

^^^the above reveal that prophet mohamed brought Islam through a revelation/final message directed at the people in mecca. I heard some Muslims say, around it means everywhere. That is not the definition of around it. When we say Rome and around it, we don’t include Paris, London, Tokyo, New York, Enugu, Ile-Ife or Sokoto as Romes surroundings.

[size=28pt]WHAT EACH ABRAHAMIC FAITH SAY ABOUT TRIBALISM, TRIBAL GODS AND TRIBAL SPIRITUALITY[/size]

• Judaism : Micah 4:5

For all the nations walk, each in the name of its god, but we will walk in the name of Yahweh our God, forever and ever.

commentary : each race, tribe, group, nation, country and household of people are expected to walk in the name their Gods while Israel will go for what belong to them which is Yahweh. If the Old scripture can state this, why are Africans following what doesn't belong to them?

• Christianity : 1 Corinthians 8:5-6

For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"wink, yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Commentary : The gospel reveal that there are many Gods and many Lords both on Earth and in Heaven. But 'us' (paul was a jew) have one God and one Lord. Where are the other Gods and Lords? Definately they are attributed to people. So Paul is informing us that 'us' (him and his people) are entitled to Jehovah and Jesus. Why on earth are Africans giving themselves headache about another God/Lord?

[b]• Islam
: Quran 10:47

And for every people there is a Messenger.

Quran 14:4

And WE have not sent any Messenger except with revelation in the language of his people in order that he might make things clear to them.

Quran 16:36

And WE did raise among every people a Messenger

Commentary : If these verses are true, then Islam is not for non-Arabs. The Quran attests that every people have received their divine message in their own language so they can understand it and the Quran is for Arabs. These verses leave no room for misunderstanding. Allah is saying that every people has had their own messenger who warned them in their own language, and that Muhammad is for those who have not yet received any guidance, and whose fathers were not warned, i.e. the Arabs. In this way they won’t have any excuse and can’t say, but we did not receive any message...... Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa including all African tribes have their messengers sent to them..... Why are Africans still submitting themselves to other tribe messengers, religion, faith, God and Lord? Why are we selling our identity, why are we burying our history, why are we stamping on our spirituality?

Africans are still suffering from denial of self otherwise known as mental slavery. If African knew themselves, they'd know that the three major western religions are fairly new in terms of spiritual practices. All Africans need to open a book and start to look at their ancient ancestors in Kush/Nubia/Kemet, Nigeria (Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa), Dogon, Ethiopia, etc etc. There are facts and research which shows that christianity, islam and judaism are all similar and have stolen their knowledge from Ancent Afrika! For how long are we going to enslave ourselves into the nations that enslaved our ancestors? I think we should go back to our own ways of praying to the Almighty, instead of embracing the very same religions that played a part in our slavery.

What is your opinion fellow brethren, correct me if i am wrong.
. FOLAKEEEEE! You have come again with your mumbo jumbo
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2013
I am watching Orisha Esu devotees dance on TV. First time I see Esu ceremony grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by NativeBoy: 4:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hahahaha. You're too much friend.

Everything you mentioned: chronology, historicity, numbers and logistics, we can assess their accuracy based on archaeological findings. That is how we know what we know of the ancient world: archaeology.

In any case, here is what you asked for. Straight from Wikipedia I should add:

El Shaddai (Hebrew: אל שדי‎, IPA: [el ʃadːaj]) is one of the Judaic names of God, with its etymology coming from the influence of the Ugaritic religion upon modern Judaism. Shaddai was one of the many Gods in Canaanite religion. El Shaddai is conventionally translated as God Almighty. While the translation of El as "god" in Ugarit/Canaanite language is straightforward, the literal meaning of Shaddai is the subject of debate.

Another theory is that Shaddai is a derivation of a Semitic stem that appears in the Akkadian shadû ("mountain"wink and shaddā`û or shaddû`a ("mountain-dweller"wink, one of the names of Amurru. This theory was popularized by W. F. Albright[citation needed] but was somewhat weakened when it was noticed[by whom?] that the doubling of the medial d is first documented only in the Neo-Assyrian period. However, the doubling in Hebrew might possibly be secondary. According to this theory, God is seen as inhabiting a mythical holy mountain, a concept not unknown in ancient West Asian mythology (see El), and also evident in the Syriac Christian writings of Ephrem the Syrian, who places Eden on an inaccessible mountaintop.

The term may mean "God of the mountains," referring to the Mesopotamian divine mountain.[3] The term was one of the patriarchal names for the tribal god of the Mesopotamians.[3] In Exodus 6:3, El Shaddai is identified explicitly with the God of Abraham and with YHWH.[3] The term appears chiefly in the Torah. This could also refer to the Israelite camp's stay at Mount Sinai where God gave Moses the Ten Commandments.

I hope this should suffice.

FOLYKAZE:

Your ignorance really is hell. You are far from redemption. Gaddem.

Is it only Archaeology evidence you see there? What about Chronology, Numbers and logistics, Historicity, dating and many others included there? Why cant you just take your time, read through the post and the attached link, ignite your brain, reason and make conclusion?

Pls bring out your evidence that El-shaddai mean Almighty God. All this cheap talk and rant is baseless.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by NativeBoy: 4:57pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

And it came to pass, when Jabin king of Hazor heard these things, that he sent to Jobab king of Madon, to the king of Shimron, to the king of Achshaph, and to the kings who were from the north, in the mountains, in the plain south of Chinneroth, in the lowland, and in the heights of Dor on the west, to the Canaanites in the east and in the west, the Amorite, the Hittite, the Perizzite, the Jebusite in the mountains, and the Hivite below Hermon in the land of Mizpah. So they went out, they and all their armies with them, as many people as the sand that is on the seashore in multitude, with very many horses and chariots. And when all these kings had met together, they came and camped together at the waters of Merom to fight against Israel. But the Lord said to Joshua, “Do not be afraid because of them, for tomorrow about this time I will deliver all of them slain before Israel. You shall hamstring their horses and burn their chariots with fire.” So Joshua and all the people of war with him came against them suddenly by the waters of Merom, and they attacked them. Thus Joshua took all this land: the mountain country, all the South, all the land of Goshen, the lowland, and the Jordan plain—the mountains of Israel and its lowlands, from Mount Halak and the ascent to Seir, even as far as Baal Gad in the Valley of Lebanon below Mount Hermon. He captured all their kings, and struck them down and killed them. (Joshua 11:1-7, 16, 17 NKJV).

They took the mountains, lowlands, plains, valleys, etc.

But the children of Joseph said, “The mountain country is not enough for us; and all the Canaanites who dwell in the land of the valley have chariots of iron, both those who are of Beth Shean and its towns and those who are of the Valley of Jezreel.” And Joshua spoke to the house of Joseph—to Ephraim and Manasseh—saying, “You are a great people and have great power; you shall not have only one lot, but the mountain country shall be yours. Although it is wooded, you shall cut it down, and its farthest extent shall be yours; for you shall drive out the Canaanites, though they have iron chariots and are strong.” (Joshua 17:16-18 NKJV)

They were not confident because of the chariots of iron. Your statement is false.

You go on to cite Judges 2:9. I don't know what point you are making by pointing out where Joshua was buried.

I cited Judges 2:1-4.
Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: “I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, ‘I will never break My covenant with you. And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’ ” So it was, when the Angel of the Lord spoke these words to all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voices and wept. (Judges 2:1-4 NKJV)

This is as clear as it can get.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
dragunov: . FOLAKEEEEE! You have come again with your mumbo jumbo

Get the hell behind me dragon
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
NativeBoy: Hahahaha. You're too much friend.

Everything you mentioned: chronology, historicity, numbers and logistics, we can assess their accuracy based on archaeological findings. That is how we know what we know of the ancient world: archaeology.

Dating was based on bible.

El Shaddai (Hebrew: אל שדי, IPA: [el ʃadːaj]) is one of the Judaic names of God, with its etymology coming from the influence of the Ugaritic religion upon modern Judaism. Shaddai was one of the many Gods in Canaanite religion. El Shaddai is conventionally translated as God Almighty. While the translation of El as "god" in Ugarit/Canaanite language is straightforward, the literal meaning of Shaddai is the subject of debate.

[b]Another theory is that Shaddai is a derivation of a Semitic stem that appears in the Akkadian shadû ("mountain"wink and shaddā`û or shaddû`a ("mountain-dweller"wink, one of the names of Amurru. This theory was popularized by W. F. Albright[citation needed] but was somewhat weakened when it was noticed[by whom?] that the doubling of the medial d is first documented only in the Neo-Assyrian period. However, the doubling in Hebrew might possibly be secondary. According to this theory, God is seen as inhabiting a mythical holy mountain, a concept not unknown in ancient West Asian mythology (see El), and also evident in the Syriac Christian writings of Ephrem the Syrian, who places Eden on an inaccessible mountaintop.

The term may mean "God of the mountains," referring to the Mesopotamian divine mountain.[3] The term was one of the patriarchal names for the tribal god of the Mesopotamians.[3] In Exodus 6:3, El Shaddai is identified explicitly with the God of Abraham and with YHWH.[3] The term appears chiefly in the Torah. This could also refer to the Israelite camp's stay at Mount Sinai where God gave Moses the Ten Commandments.[/b]

I bet you read the bold. And who translated shaddai to mean mighty? Everyone know El mean god....pls provide the etymology of Shaddai. And from what we got from the bold, it mean mountains.
Re: Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? by macof(m): 6:14pm On Nov 14, 2013
NativeBoy: Hahahaha. You're too much friend.

El Shaddai (Hebrew: אל שדי‎, IPA: [el ʃadːaj]) is one of the Judaic names of God, with its etymology coming from the influence of the Ugaritic religion upon modern Judaism. Shaddai was one of the many Gods in Canaanite religion. El Shaddai is conventionally translated as God Almighty. While the translation of El as "god" in Ugarit/Canaanite language is straightforward, the literal meaning of Shaddai is the subject of debate.

[b]Another theory is that Shaddai is a derivation of a Semitic stem that appears in the Akkadian shadû ("mountain"wink and shaddā`û or shaddû`a ("mountain-dweller"wink, one of the names of Amurru. This theory was popularized by W. F. Albright[citation needed] but was somewhat weakened when it was noticed[by whom?] that the doubling of the medial d is first documented only in the Neo-Assyrian period. However, the doubling in Hebrew might possibly be secondary. According to this theory, God is seen as inhabiting a mythical holy mountain, a concept not unknown in ancient West Asian mythology (see El), and also evident in the Syriac Christian writings of Ephrem the Syrian, who places Eden on an inaccessible mountaintop.

The term may mean "God of the mountains," referring to the Mesopotamian divine mountain.[3] The term was one of the patriarchal names for the tribal god of the Mesopotamians.[3] In Exodus 6:3, El Shaddai is identified explicitly with the God of Abraham and with YHWH.[3] The term appears chiefly in the Torah. This could also refer to the Israelite camp's stay at Mount Sinai where God gave Moses the Ten Commandments.[/b]

You saw the bolded but choose to ignore it. Your lack of intelligence is glaring. You need help from Orunmila.

Seek him in prayer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Can God Create A Mountain That God Can't Move? / What Do You Understand By Ash Wednesday? / Happy 69th Birthday To Bishop David Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.