Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:42 AM

Love and Diamonds - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love and Diamonds (49800 Views)

To Love And Leave. (story Series) / Bloodline.......part Two[Blood And Diamonds] / A Game For Love and Marriage - Two Can Play The Game - Season 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Love and Diamonds by Cheriepet: 2:01am On Jan 01, 2014
Happy New Year Trixy n everyone

2 Likes

Re: Love and Diamonds by Cronyy: 12:25pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year. Its already wednesday and its taking u too long to upload a small chapter. I hope i dnt loose intrest because of my kind of work

1 Like

Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 1:11pm On Jan 01, 2014
My people, please make una no vex. I had quite a lot on my hands these past few days. You know all the hassles of entering a new year. I will update if not tonight then tomorrow morning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 1:12pm On Jan 01, 2014
My people, please make una no vex. I had quite a lot on my hands these past few days. You know all the hassles of entering a new year. I will update if not tonight then tomorrow morning. Happy New year
Re: Love and Diamonds by tijehi(f): 1:28pm On Jan 01, 2014
Interest....droppiiiiiiiiiiiig.....dropped. cheesy
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 9:40pm On Jan 01, 2014
Update in a bit.
Re: Love and Diamonds by Hameenat94(f): 9:50pm On Jan 01, 2014
Waiting
Re: Love and Diamonds by Fynface20: 10:24pm On Jan 01, 2014
pls update so i can sleep dis nyt
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 10:45pm On Jan 01, 2014
RAYMOND’S POV

I walked us to Nene’s bed and sat down. I cradled her in my arms as she wept profusely. I felt so distraught and helpless not knowing how to help her even though I had promised to be always there for her. I wondered what went wrong at the hospital. I felt a thump on my chest. Nene was thumping my chest harder as the tears continued flowing down her beautiful face..
“Oh God, why me?” Thump

“Why will all these happen to me? Why will I be the victim of a malicious attack when I know I have not wronged anybody?” Another thump.

“Why will my brother who abandoned me for years come back now claiming he is sorry and asking for forgiveness? Tell me why Ray? Why?” She said as she continued pounding my chest, this time harder. I held her tightly not saying anything because I felt it was better she let it out. After some minutes, her cries subsided to just a few sniffs here and now until she was silent. She had fallen asleep. She looked so peaceful, nothing like the woman whom I saw when she had let me in. This was bad. What had happened must have really had a grave effect on her. The last person I had seen cry like that was my mum when my father died in my teen years. He was shot while embracing my mother on his return from work that fateful evening. She had locked herself in her room for two days refusing to talk or eat. I watched her sleep for a while until I eventually gave in to sleep. I felt someone stir in my arms.

“You are still here.”

“Yes sweet, I couldn’t leave you like this.”

“Thank you.” She said her face lit up in a smile.
“You are welcome. Would you like to share?” I asked with hope that she wouldn’t keep me out as she had done to her friends. She nodded and sat up to face me. She narrated what happened from the death of the two children at the hospital as a result of the overdose of morphine found in their blood to the call from her brother. She had told me previously when we had just started dating about a brother of hers who had abandoned them (Nene and her late mum) and left the country some days after her dad’s death.
“Now the parents of Fatai have threatened to sue the hospital and if that happens, I ...
“Nothing will happen okay,” I said cutting her off.
“How sure are you about that? What are you going to do? She lifted her eyes looking at me quizzically.
“Just trust me on this one Nene. One more thing, don’t forget to keep me in on the updates okay.” She nodded.
That night, I left Nene with a promise to myself that I was going to get to the bottom of this and for her brother, well I have not met him yet but I will make sure he doesn’t put her through yet another pain all in the name of family.

KAINENE’S POV

I was having breakfast two days later in the kitchen when Amina came in and went straight to the fridge without even a glance at me. She took a bottle of water, drank some of it and placed it on the table and sat down. I knew she and Preye were angry at me for keeping them in the loop. I had wanted to tell them but I couldn’t bring myself to, at least not yet. That night after Ray had left some minutes to midnight, I had locked my room refusing to let anybody in. On Sunday, I had gone for the early morning mass and afterwards retreated to my room. I had heard Kiki’s voice in the house, she had come knocking at my door but I didn’t let her in. I was not happy with her. At least she would have told me what had happened before I went into the children’s ward. So much for keeping a friend. I planned telling the girls tonight after the meeting with the hospital board. i had gotten a call from chief requesting my presence at the meeting with the hospital board as the parents of Fatai together with their lawyer would be coming to the hospital this morning. I knew Amina had a lot of questions on her mind. I could sense it from the continuous tapping of her fingers on the table.
“So Kaine, what’s up?” Because I had food in my mouth, I resisted before I answered, “Nothing”

“Huh”

“Nothing”

“So what happened on Saturday? The usual ‘deaf and dumb’ mood, refusing to talk, ignoring us? Amina had the ability to question people and she could be pretty damn blunt in her questions. Preye chose that moment to make her entrance to the kitchen.

“Yes tell us. Your boyfriend came into the house and you just let him into your room.” She made a gesture wither hands. “And you shut us out since Saturday. I mean what are friends for, not just your friends but people you live in the same house with if you can’t share your problems with us. Seriously Kaine, I am not happy with you at all.” She said joining us at the table. She took a slice of bread from my plate lading it with butter. I was short of words. I knew I was wrong for shutting them out and now they were visibly angry with me.

“I am sorry guys. I had planned telling you but ... let me just say it now.” They both nodded. Just then my phone vibrated on the table. I picked it. “Hello” After some talk with the person at the other line, I picked my bag from the table.
“I am sorry guys, I have to leave you now.”

Dont forget to comment after reading. Criticisms are very much welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 10:46pm On Jan 01, 2014
tijehi: Interest....droppiiiiiiiiiiiig.....dropped. cheesy
You have broken my heart
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 10:46pm On Jan 01, 2014
Hameenat94: Waiting
thank you dear
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 10:48pm On Jan 01, 2014
Fynface20: pls update so i can sleep dis nyt
I have dear. Thanks for being patient
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 10:50pm On Jan 01, 2014
Cheriepet: Happy New Year Trixy n everyone
I wish you the same dear
Re: Love and Diamonds by stefikal(f): 6:21am On Jan 02, 2014
I hope Kaine doesn't get into so much troublesad
Re: Love and Diamonds by Godwinigweh: 8:39am On Jan 02, 2014
hmm am stil waiting...
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 6:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
stefikal: I hope Kaine doesn't get into so much troublesad
Maybe. Happy new year my dear

1 Like

Re: Love and Diamonds by Hameenat94(f): 7:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
stefikal: I hope Kaine doesn't get into so much troublesad
me 2
Re: Love and Diamonds by PreanceMapiae(m): 11:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
trixandra...Pls marry me!!!Ure too creative... the story is like a movie... I c it as I read it...the characters are distinct and the culture looks like oyibo film...I mean d way d characters relate...Pls marry me...say Yes!!!
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 4:49am On Jan 03, 2014
CONTINUATION OF CHAPTER SEVEN

The call I had gotten that morning was from Chief informing me that the meeting was brought forward to 7:30 a.m because Fatai’s parents were travelling to their home-town that morning to perform the final burial rites for their son. My suspension letter was waiting for me on my table when I got to the hospital. I gad expected it but not this soon. I picked the letter and made my way to the administrative block where meeting was going to be held. Chief was already present so where the heads of various units including Dr Biola and the hospital’s lawyer. I avoided their glance and sat down on one of the empty chairs. Not long after I sat down, the parents of Fatai and their lawyer made their entrance. The meting commenced without any hitch, both parties presenting their cases. It was until Fatai’s mother Mrs Mogaji asked of the doctor in charge of her son. I flinched. She came towards me, her eyes bloodshot but daring. She looked me up and down.

“So it is you eh, the one who killed my son.” She snorted. Just look at yourself, you probably don’t know what it means to carry a child for nine months, a child who suckled your bosoms and then you lose him at only two years due to your carelessness.”

“I am sorry ma, it wasn’t my fault.” I blurted out without even thinking.
“So whose fault is it eh young woman? Whose fault is it? Accept the fact that you killed him. You are a murderer. You will pay for this. You must pay.” By this time, she had come closer to me now pulling my shirt rather aggressively, the tears now flowing freely down her face marring her make-up. “Baba Fatai, she must pay for this. They will pay for this. I must avenge the death of my son. You cannot let them get away with this. You are not fit to be a doctor.” She finally spat at me before her husband pulled her away and sat her down whispering some words to her. The tension in the room rose. I could feel the eyes of every other person on me. After some moments of deafening silence, Mr Mogaji cleared his throat. “It is obvious that this meeting cannot continue any longer because the presence of the young doctor is affecting my wife and we have to head to our home-town now to conclude the burial rites for our son. We will let you know when next we are coming to the hospital through our lawyer but one thing is sure, the person or persons responsible for the death of my son must be punished. Good day gentlemen.” And with that he left with his wife and the lawyer, a stocky black man trailing at their back but not without a cocky glance at me. Chief asked me to meet with him and the lawyer in his office. Two hours were spent discussing the way forward, involving the security and the police in the investigation. The lawyer suggested I should not let out anything to the public as the press have been hovering round the hospital premises. The Mogajis were a very wealthy and prominent family in the society so it is news that his only son from his third wife had died in the hospital mysteriously. I was about entering my car when my phone alerted me of a message. “Do not think it is going to be easy for you. This is just the beginning.” I checked the details of the message. It was sent by a short code 5000. This may just be a prank message from one of all those people looking for money online. I did not give it much thought but then another thought crossed my mind. What if the sender knows something about the death of the children?. I put that thought far-away at the back of my mind. i decided to make a call to Ray. He picked on the first ring.
“Hey babe, what’s up?”

“I am fine Ray. How is work?” I inquired.

“Boring. I can’t wait to go home. Enough of me jare. Are you still at the hospital? How did the meeting go?”
I narrated everything except the strange message. He sighed deeply at the other end. He made me promise him to be very careful. We talked for about fifteen minutes with him feeding me bits on Naeto, the boring meeting and not forgetting the interview he had with a young prospective assistant just coming out of her teen who kept flashing her cleavage at him throughout the interview. I had laughed picturing the scene and how Ray must have been disgusted. We said our goodbyes and hung up.

That evening, we were in the sitting room relaxing over a bowl of pop-corn and coca-cola when I told the girls about the incident at the hospital and also about the possible promotion to the head of paediatrics when chief retires. We immediately went to work. The girls suspected that it was possible the malice started from there. Amina asked me to make a list of all the personnel working at the paediatrics unit. I got my laptop from my room and logged onto the hospital’s website. We got the names numbering about one hundred ranging from the surgeons to the physicians, nurses, cleaners and the rest of the other workers. We set the task of ticking out unsuspecting names until we were left with twenty possible names. Preye turned to me. “Kaine, you said you got a strange message on your phone?” I nodded.
“Can you give it to me?” i picked my phone from the centre table and gave it to her looking at her confusedly.

“Stop looking at me like that. I won’t eat it okay.” She said and went upstairs. Fifteen minutes later she was back with my phone.

“Kaine, who is Stephanie?”
END OF CHAPTER SEVEN. Don't forget to comment after reading. criticisms are very much welcomed.

3 Likes

Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 4:50am On Jan 03, 2014
Preance Mapiae: trixandra...Pls marry me!!!Ure too creative... the story is like a movie... I c it as I read it...the characters are distinct and the culture looks like oyibo film...I mean d way d characters relate...Pls marry me...say Yes!!!
yes o, I will marry you my rove... shocked grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Love and Diamonds by PreanceMapiae(m): 7:21am On Jan 03, 2014
new xter...this is getting interesting!!!
Re: Love and Diamonds by chinedumo(m): 7:57am On Jan 03, 2014
Intresting.

I wonder how you will pull this off
Re: Love and Diamonds by benedictilemona(m): 8:28am On Jan 03, 2014
Na stephaine OKEREKE..........mor update,kip d gud wrk
Re: Love and Diamonds by stefikal(f): 8:40am On Jan 03, 2014
I'm Stephanie tonguegrin

Good job Trix

1 Like

Re: Love and Diamonds by Godwinigweh: 8:52am On Jan 03, 2014
Trix why are u pulling leg ? suspence much.....
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 9:47am On Jan 03, 2014
Preance Mapiae: new xter...this is getting interesting!!!
Thank you my rove. When is the wedding?
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 9:47am On Jan 03, 2014
chinedumo: Intresting.

I wonder how you will pull this off
Just the normal way
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 9:48am On Jan 03, 2014
benedictilemona: Na stephaine OKEREKE..........mor update,kip d gud wrk
who is Stephanie Okereke? Lol. Thank you
stefikal: I'm Stephanie tonguegrin
Good job Trix
Of coz, I was planless of names o, thank you
Re: Love and Diamonds by trixandra(f): 10:33am On Jan 03, 2014
Godwinigweh: Trix why are u pulling leg ? suspence much.....
lol, am I?
Re: Love and Diamonds by Aliydave(m): 10:54am On Jan 03, 2014
Choi, C suspense!! shocked, still following oh. when will d nxt update come?
Re: Love and Diamonds by Queenxstar(f): 4:50pm On Jan 03, 2014
Weldone Trix.
Re: Love and Diamonds by zyzxx(m): 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2014
u are wonderful,, gud work

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Razor Tongue: A Story / Hills And Wills Nwokedi, Twin Authors Of Dominik's Diaries / Onyeka Nwelue: "A Lady Asked For Sex Before She Could Give Me Loan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.