Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th (4404 Views)

5 AWFUL Kissing Mistakes Guys Make That Completely Ruin The Mood / New Survey Ranks Nigerian Women As Top Most Unfaithful Wives In The World / The Faces Of Nigerian Gays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by kekakuz(m): 2:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
From our cozy Western perspective, it can seem like the battle for LGBT rights is nearly over. Across
Europe, Australia, North America, and most of South America, things like gay marriage and homosexual
adoption are now either legal or being openly discussed. Only the most narrow-minded bigot would still
think it was acceptable to discriminate against someone purely on the basis of their sexual orientation.
The reality is a little different. Across the world, there are hundreds of governments that still do their
best to make life miserable for LGBT people. From Sharia states that demand the death penalty to hard-
line Christian nations that leave gay people to rot in disease-infested prisons, the Earth remains a very
bleak, very dark place for millions of non-straight people. You thought Rick Santorum was backward?
He’s got nothing on the leaders of . . .

10 India
For a country that bills itself as “the world’s biggest democracy,” India sure has a habit of shutting its
minorities out of the democratic system. Case in point: the re-criminalization of homosexuality. In 2009,
the High Court in Delhi threw out a 153-year-old law passed by the British colonial administration that
made consenting sex between two adults of the same gender a crime. At the time, it was seen as a huge
step forward for gay rights in the country, and many assumed it was the start of a new era of tolerance
for LGBT people.
No such luck. Fast-forward to December 2013, and the Supreme Court has overruled the judgement,
effectively making gay relationships illegal. Thanks to the efforts of a handful of bigots, anyone caught
sharing with a kiss with someone of their own gender now faces up to 10 years in prison . Way to flaunt
those “democratic” credentials, India.

9 Northern Cyprus
Northern Cyprus is a disputed territory on the fringes of Europe—an unrecognized country that’s
technically in the EU but also under Turkish occupation. It gets a special mention here for being the
only place in the whole EU where state-sanctioned homophobia is still routinely practiced.
Thanks to a piece of legal stupidity known as Section 171, gay sex is completely illegal and punishable
by up to five years in prison. This isn’t just some quaint old law that they haven’t gotten around to
striking off the books, either. In 2012, the country was rocked by a wave of arrests that targeted LGBT
people, meaning there are politicians in the modern world who still think it’s a valuable use of police
time and public money to prosecute two guys for getting it on. The dumbest part is that both mainland
Cyprus and Turkey itself have no laws against homosexuality, but thanks to a quirk of occupation, gay
people in the North of the country still have to fear for their safety.

8 Singapore
As a conservative city-state on the edges of the Malay Peninsula, it’s perhaps not surprising to learn
that Singapore still discriminates against gay people. Weirdly, though, the law is far from equal. Since
2007, it’s been perfectly legal for two women to have sex, but two guys who get hitched face up to two
years in prison.
While the law is rarely enforced and there are signs that attitudes are softening, it remains a crime for
broadcasters or media outlets to show LGBT people in anything but a negative light. TV stations have
previously received hefty fines for simply interviewing a gay celebrity. This means that any Singaporean
chat show that invited Ian McKellen or Jodie Foster to discuss a film would technically be breaking the
law. It may not be the worst offender on our list, but Singapore clearly still has a way to go toward
accepting people for who they are.

7 Russia
Despite being run by a guy who looks like a 1980s gay pinup , Russia is fast becoming the least gay-
friendly place in the whole of Europe. In June this year, Vladimir Putin and his cronies followed in
Stalin’s footsteps by introducing a law banning “homosexual propaganda.” While that might sound like a
boring bit of legal nonsense, the truth is that it’s made life miserable for LGBT people across the world’s
biggest country.
Following the ruling, The Guardian reported on a frightening upsurge in attacks on gays and lesbians.
LGBT teens have been ambushed by vigilante mobs and humiliated or threatened with axes while
supporters of gay charities have been blinded or beaten with baseball bats . In October, the country
came within a hair’s breadth of passing a law that would require local police forces to kidnap the
children of gay parents. Luckily, this last proposal was eventually dropped, but the fact that it was ever
seriously debated shows just how deeply homophobia is now permeating every sector of Russian
society.

6 Jamaica
If you ever want to know what it’s like to live in constant, mind-numbing mortal terror, try declaring
yourself gay in Jamaica. People suspected of being LGBT are frequently beaten and attacked with
machetes. In 2010, a 16-year-old was hacked to death in his home for having “questionable relations”
with another man. People have been knifed and set on fire under suspicion of being gay, and the
funerals of gay men have previously been attacked by mobs armed with rocks and bottles .
Then there’s the government. Currently, having gay sex in Jamaica will net you up to 10 years in prison
—if you’re lucky. If you’re unlucky, the corrupt local police will extort money from you, torture you, or
beat you to a pulp, and then throw you in jail. For local LGBT people, the place is nothing short of a
living nightmare

5 Uganda
Uganda is home to some of the harshest anti-gay laws in the whole of Africa—a competition you really
don’t want to be winning at. With some notable exceptions—such as South Africa and, to an extent,
Mozambique—the continent’s various states generally frown on homosexuality at best and violently
persecute it at worst. In Uganda, this hatred reaches depressing new lows.
If you live in Uganda and have sex with someone of your gender, you can do 14 years to life in some of
the most horrific prisons on Earth. People have been arbitrarily detained and deported for performing
plays that even mention homosexuality, while police abuse of gay people is at an all-time high. LGBT
rights activists are routinely harassed by the state and newspapers have previously been known to
publish the names and addresses of homosexuals alongside incitements to lynching .
Even these horrors don’t compare to the “kill the gays” bill. A shameful piece of legislation that’s been
on and off the table for a couple of years, the bill would prescribe the death penalty for homosexuality .
In other words, there are lawmakers in Uganda who care so much about what other people do with their
own genitals that they’re willing to slaughter them for it.

4 Nigeria
According to PEW Research, Nigeria is the most homophobic place on Earth. When asked if
homosexuality should be accepted by society, 98 percent of respondents said no . This visceral hatred
manifests itself in a particularly awful way—in the northern parts of the country, operating under Sharia
Law, homosexuality is punishable by death.
Specifically, the law states that gay people are to be stoned to death, an inhumane form of execution
that should have died out back in the dark ages. Things aren’t much better in the Christian south.
Currently, being gay is punishable by 14 years in prison, and late last year, a bill was passed making it
illegal to fail to report anyone you suspect of being homosexual. This actually surpasses the legislation
Hitler put in place against homosexuals in Germany. Not that we’re not saying they’re Nazis—we’re
saying they’re worse than Nazis.

3 Afghanistan

Afghanistan needs no introduction—the war-torn failed state we unsuccessfully invaded all those years
ago is the epitome of thuggish, macho, heterosexual culture. Despite being the sort of place where it’s
largely thought acceptable for old men to have sex with boys as young as nine , actually being gay is
completely off limits. While areas controlled by the Karzai government no longer recommend the death
penalty for homosexuals, there’s still a very real chance that coming out will result in being brutally
murdered.
We know about “honor killings” of runaway wives or daughters who refuse to marry some old creep, but
LGBT people are targets in Afghanistan, too. Having a gay relationship can potentially mean signing your
own execution order. At the very least, gay people can be forced into marriage with the threat of exile.
It’s a miserable state of affairs, and one that may well get even worse in the near future.

2 Turkey
There are many worse places to be gay than Turkey, but perhaps nowhere else is witnessing such a
heartbreaking backward shift. Although being gay isn’t a crime, violence against homosexuals is
alarmingly high and institutional brutality against transgender people is a depressing fact of life.
If you’re a transgender woman in Turkey, you’re liable to be arbitrarily arrested, blackmailed by police
officers, and violently assaulted while in custody. A report for Pink News found that 89 percent of trans
women who had been detained had been assaulted. Trans women are frequently murdered by strangers
and the mutilation of their corpses is not uncommon. The murder of homosexuals in honor killings has
reached epidemic proportions, and all too often, police officers and the judiciary are reluctant to press
charges in the aftermath. LGBT organizations and websites are frequently shut down and Amnesty
International has reported that homophobia is prevalent at all levels of society.
As bad as this is, it’s clearly got nothing on many other Middle Eastern states, but Turkey is a country
that wants to be a part of the EU. It’s a country that prides itself on being a modern, functioning
democracy living in the 21st century. From that perspective, its attitude toward LGBT people is nothing
short of atrocious.

1 Iran
If gay people really are going to hell, that hell will probably look something like Iran. In the dark
backwaters of the country, gay people are flogged, tortured, abused, and even executed with shocking
regularity. Thanks to a 1987 law that legalized sex changes, parents of gay children routinely force them
to undergo unwanted hormone treatment, chemical castration, and sexual reassignment surgery to
escape being murdered by the regime’s thugs. Mass arrests for something as simple as going to a
birthday party are common. In short, it is possibly the bleakest place in the world to be gay, lesbian,
bisexual, or transgender.
While we it may feel to us in the West that we’ve just about gotten this whole “equality” thing sorted,
the truth is that we, as members of the human race, still have a long way to go.

NAIJAvigilance..com listverse.com

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Newkidoo(m): 3:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
This is way too long!!
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Emmyk(m): 3:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
smiley
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by padeolu: 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nigeria should be 5th while Uganda take our place in 4th
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by SELENAqueensy(f): 3:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
nd u expect me to read all of dis

If naija was made up of only me and my family,
Den beliv me, Nigeria wud hv been numba 1.... angry

7 Likes

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Impulse80(m): 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
We are different species, intercopulation should not be encouraged
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by andy24(m): 3:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
Op is in support of gay

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by kekakuz(m): 3:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
what is wrong with being gay?
I'll say everything
the world we have today was handed to use wih so much orderliness thanks to the rules laws and our forefathers common sense.
if we allow gay to mess it up,what will we handover to our children
gay nagates everything I stand for and even my religion nagates it
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Mirahcul: 3:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
GAY lussac's disciples ... How i hate them.

Thank God for these countries that are against it
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by crackhaus: 3:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
So I'm thinking...why is Nigeria never number one on any list for God sake? angry

2 Likes

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Oysdam(m): 4:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
What of Saudi Arabia and UAE
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by dahfweshdude69: 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Useless f.a.g.g.o.t.s...
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by skyscraperTM(m): 6:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
This is Nice, I'm hoping more countries will make strict laws against gay activities, but why are lesbians not included? It that another form of immunity clause or does it mean what they're doing is right?
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
padeolu: Nigeria should be 5th while Uganda take our place in 4th
i am tellin u! Dem nor dey shine teeth with gay for that country o!!!
Infact uganda suppose be number 1....as far as i know
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
kekakuz:
No way

Well, it isn't difficult telling what you sentiments are... If indeed this is your write up.
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by sakaguchi(m): 7:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nigeria shud be number one and I'd be proud of it.
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by king94(m): 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
LMAO at d part dat states 'We are worse than nazis'. It is actually true in our attitude to gays.
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
sakaguchi: Nigeria shud be number one and I'd be proud of it.
Amen to that brother.
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by kekakuz(m): 8:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
wordsbase:

Well, it isn't difficult telling what you sentiments are... If indeed this is your write up.

that is why there is a source
i only brought it to nairaland because nigeria was in the write up
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by luvablesam(m): 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Y would d west ever think Nigeria would accept homosexuality? When homosexuality is as foriegn to us as polygamy is to d west
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by gidiMonsta(m): 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
Lol @ "They're worse than Nazis". We need to be, to keep the scourge away from our shores. No matter how they label us, F.A.G.S will NEVER be accepted in my country. If e dey pain oyinbo, make dem grant dem Assylum.
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by moufan: 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
I sincerely believe that death penalty for all gays in Nigeria is the way forward to prevent dis ominous scourge call homosexuality from being practiced in our country

3 Likes

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Mobsync(m): 9:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
NAIJ Avigilance..com listverse.com

@Op, all these links you gave are TOTAL BULLSHIT. This article was originally posted on listserve.com and this is the direct link: http://listverse.com/2013/12/30/10-countries-that-completely-hate-gay-people/

Plagiarist sad
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by markdark(m): 10:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
moufan: I sincerely believe that death penalty for all gays in Nigeria is the way forward to prevent dis ominous scourge call homosexuality from being practiced in our country
When you're so quick to take someone's humanity from them with an air of superiority, you'd forget someone could equally take your humanity from you for the stupidest of reasons, eg black, igbo, etc. There is no reason in the known universe why homosexuality should be illegal, devil worship isn't a crime (if your view is a Christian one) , female circumcision is not illegal (if your view is a traditional one), fornication is not illegal (if your view is a moral one).
Consider this, homosexuality became legal is Israel in the early 1960's because they both experienced something truly unique. Hitler sent both of them to the gas chamber and they realized, everybody has a right to 'ruin' his or her life. Ps insults irritate me, it's the immature approach to any argument.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by olisehcom(f): 10:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
HATERS!!! sad
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by mzlewis(f): 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
Our leaders are hypocrites they ban homosexuality and promote child marriage...anyway I don't support homosexuality but gay guys make very good friends
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by ShirelleBaby: 10:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
what a joke!
It shud be TEN COUNTRIES THAT COMPLETELY LOVE BEING CLOSET GAYS

2 Likes

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hating homosexual people is still a thing? Oh
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
moufan: I sincerely believe that death penalty for all gays in Nigeria is the way forward to prevent dis ominous scourge call homosexuality from being practiced in our country
seconded!
But i believe in second chances!
First offenders 14 years!
Second offenders death by hanging

3 Likes

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by Ice4jez(m): 10:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Skyda_D_Great:
seconded!
But i believe in second chances!
First offenders 14 years!
Second offenders death by hanging
amen. To that

1 Like

Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by kekakuz(m): 10:53pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mobsync:

@Op, all these links you gave are TOTAL BULLSHIT. This article was originally posted on listserve.com and this is the direct link: http://listverse.com/2013/12/30/10-countries-that-completely-hate-gay-people/

Plagiarist sad
if people never show their itk artitude them nogo rest
did you visi lisverse and you did not see i there
or did i tell you i composed it
how many post on nairaland do you think is authored by a nairalander
abeg i no dey mood to yab you
you know where e dey and you no tink a say fellow nairalanders fit read am learn soething
Re: 10 Countries That Completely Hate Gays- Nigeria Ranks 4th by kekakuz(m): 11:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
Shir£ll£ baby:
what a joke!
It shud be TEN COUNTRIES THAT COMPLETELY LOVE BEING CLOSET GAYS
dam it
omg
cant fit bliv it
are u saying you are giay

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have A Crush On A Nairaland Chick.. / Man Asks 200 Women If They'll Have Sex With Him - See Their Reactions / How To Tell When A Woman Just Had Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.