Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss (11645 Views)

Man Who Accusd Ex EFCC Chief Of Diverting 1trn Recoverd Assets Sentenced To 3yrs / Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew / Letter To President Buhari Warns Against EFCC Boss Lamorde And Senator Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by BigB11(m): 7:38pm On Aug 06, 2008
Last I heard, two negatives make one positive

grin
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by tjay007: 7:52pm On Aug 06, 2008
if ribadu was truely fighting corruption why didnt he invite like they say obj if not during his term in office after his dipensation. yet he went after governors and co. leaving the very big O wey be him master out. it's a pity he didnt see beyond his nose the destruction waiting him ahead. poor guy, pele oooo
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by sagod: 8:12pm On Aug 06, 2008
Due process and the rule of law just have to be foolowed if we must get certain things right.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by tjay007: 8:38pm On Aug 06, 2008
as a matter of fact if ribadu no take time, he cud be dismissed sef. the most corrupt culprit from 1999 till he was even relieved from the post of the efcc chairman is somewhere enjoying the fruit of his fraudlent acts. abi no be this country wey we dey when obj shout about power project? abeg tell me where all the money for the project enter. PTF nko? wetin be d outcome. yet no question was asked by the so called noble man who swore to fight corruption and uphold the law. abi which of the governors or people he arrested commited a more corrupt act than his boss the ape did?,  abeg, he should go sit his sorry ass somewhere, covers his face and lick his wounds, trying to justify himself will only compound his problems.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by bastrin(f): 9:36pm On Aug 06, 2008
Any day anytime NUHU is a great man wedae was used or not he achieved results n dats wot matas. angry lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by Orikinla(m): 10:05pm On Aug 06, 2008
If you worry too much over the political nonsese in Nigeria, you will suffer hypertension.

Just find chiiled palmwine and smoked fish, then sit back and enjoy it while watching the comedy of errors.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by HIROSHI: 11:40pm On Aug 06, 2008
Too bad the Ribadus have this kind of fate.

Nuhu's grand father was a powerful minister (of defence) in the first republic but he was later killed by men from the country he served to death. Little wonder Nuhu is being humiliated by the country whose image he helped to rebuild.

May God demote all Ribadu's detractors too.

Did you hear that a person who was a president went back to be an ex-governor? there is already a 50% chance of that happening in Nigeria.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 07, 2008
God of the poor go punish President Yar'adua, him go soon die of kidney failure
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by reindeer: 12:48am On Aug 07, 2008
Finally i agrre that this regime is just lying when it talks bout, war on corruption, and im so sick of people saying the war was 'selective', the question is, are those people being picked on innocent? if they arent then let them be picked on! someday someonel else will come and pick on the other group. ABEG, NUHU take heart!you are already a hero, you dont need their stupid titles!
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by landis(m): 7:53am On Aug 07, 2008
In this case, the Police action is suported by me:

It said the promotion was a total breach of Section 153 of the 1999 Constitution and the PSC Act 2001.
Osayande said this had caused disillusionment, agitations and indiscipline within the police force.

There are many good police officers too, that never got promoted.

Just because he did OBJ attack works does not mean we dont know whats going on.

It is unfair to other hard working honest Police Officers.

Good work on this one.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by dammytosh: 8:04am On Aug 07, 2008
Yaradua is simply not the type of president we need in Nigeria.
He is a coward who has no mind of his own.

All we hear is rule offfffffff laaaawwwwwww whenever the victim is percieved to be part of Obasanjo's Government .where is this RULE OF LAW when 1 NOTHERN Governor was facing Impeachment Waters. I heard Yaradua came to his rescue,

Ribadu's problem is the present IG Andosometin he is a close pal of Tafa Balogun.(You remember d former POT BELLY IG put on chains by Ribadu's fearless campaign ? )

Obasanjo must have learnt his lessons by now ! the same mistake he made as a military head of state,
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by jaso1(m): 8:13am On Aug 07, 2008
My fellow nairalanders,
I pity for the future of this country Nigeria is in a mess shape and it's almost out of hand even to a stage of no solution. I'm tired and sick of this wicked nation where things goes wrong everyday, no good news from media everything is dilapidating on a daily basis what a shame. evil help Nigeria as Almighty God is tired for this country ineffective.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by jaso1(m): 8:14am On Aug 07, 2008
My fellow nairalanders,
I pity for the future of this country Nigeria is in a mess shape and it's almost out of hand even to a stage of no solution. I'm tired and sick of this wicked nation where things goes wrong everyday, no good news from media everything is dilapidating on a daily basis what a shame. evil help Nigeria as Almighty God is tired for this country ineffective.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by koko777(m): 9:25am On Aug 07, 2008
No condition is permanent. whatever one achieve without proper means will never stand the test of time. It's a pity, Ribadu is losing out. Please allow him to carry his cross, OBJ the ring leader will soon be questioned. I'm beginning to be skeptical about Umoru, he may not cover his Godfather's back. God Bless Nigeria!
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by landis(m): 9:31am On Aug 07, 2008
No condition is permanent. whatever one achieve without proper means will never stand the test of time.

exactly.

There is no way Ribadu can justify 'double promotion' while we have gallant honest police officers in the rain/sun trying to do their best and get NOTHING but armed-robbers bullets.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by Laibankz: 9:35am On Aug 07, 2008
Weather demoted or not am not concerned,
The question i ask myself all this so called Efcc Officials are they above the word "Corruption"?
Just this morning i heard they arrested Bode George, Job well done!!!! now the next thing we hear is that he has been granted bail, case closed!!!!
So even if they demote him to a D.P.O i dont care because ALL POLICE MEN ARE CORRUPT!!!
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by doyin13(m): 9:46am On Aug 07, 2008
So when are they going to start demoting the Babangidas' of this world. undecided
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by sharpman1(m): 10:01am On Aug 07, 2008
I just read from one of the dailies that The Inspector General of police was at one time promoted from Commissioner of police to Deputy Inspector General of police.

I wonder why he was not demoted too (if this is true).

Anyway, i never had faith in this country. It is a case of everyman for himself.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by TheJoker1(m): 10:19am On Aug 07, 2008
If for some reason or the other you find yourself in the bad books of the current government and they need  do away with you whether justly or unjustly, you would have made yourself a sitting duck if at some prior time you you fell short of due process in your direct or indirect dealings. So Mr. Ribadu sadly has to bear his cross for if "angels" err their's will be an even bigger fall, and a free fall is what Ribadu is doing now with no end in view and the hyenas all around.

Part 2. Should he be kicked out of NIPSS now, with barely 3 months to graduation since under the law as a newly demoted Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) his demotion has fallen short of the entry requirements into the institute while the minimum qualification for any police officer to be admitted as participant into the institute was the rank of Commissioner of Police (CP), and such officer must also be a degree holder and must have at least eight years to retirement.  
While the Yaradull government continues to make a laughing stock of the nation in their heavily biased underhand dealings in this ongoing Ribadu issue they have done it using/according to the rule of law.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by bonebaba(m): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2008
na waha ooooo, well God understand things sha, sound sultan don talk am, one day bushmeat go cah the hunter
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by sharpman1(m): 10:44am On Aug 07, 2008
bonebaba:

na waha ooooo, well God understand things sha, sound sultan don talk am, one day bushmeat go cah the hunter

You're right.

One day Bushmeat go catch the Hunter in this hopeless country!
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by chidichris(m): 10:44am On Aug 07, 2008
what kind of people are we? he was double promoted for acting well as a political weapon and now the new administration has deemed it necessary to place him where the police roles and regulations wants him to be.
if Ribadu feels humilated, he is learned so he can seek redress.
or we saying that since obj double promoted him, yar adua can equally jump 20 steps to promote any of his close person without minding.
at least obj did it when he was in charge and now someone else is in charge.
i don't consider demotion enough, i still hope he refund all excesses and explain the promotion misplacement.
nigerian police is an institution of which they have their own roles and regulations.
why are we even talking about his demotion when some other important decissions of the bull(obj) had been reversed by yar adua including allocation of oil blocks, sales of public parastatals, monopolisation of pdp bot. selection of high way robbers like etteh for some vital positions in nigeria.
this thread is a shame.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by tjay007: 10:56am On Aug 07, 2008
ehen! when Okonjo was minister for finance we all saw how she made frantic efforts to redeem naija's financial sector doing all that was necessary to see the sector develop from it's paralysed state. from the debt pardon, implementation of over 60% of naija's budget which prior to her time as minister was never attained. At a point in time the funds from excess crude oil she had planned to use for the betterness of this country but becos obj had other motives for the funds which Okonjo knew about and prevented the motive from being actualized, she was moved from the fianance ministry to another where she could do nothing and coz she knew it was not right, she resigned honourably earning the respect of everyone including that of her employers(world bank) who promoted her. That's the spirit of deligence, discipline, honour and a stand against corruption. She refused to be used or be part of a corrupt act.
  when obj was using ribadu why didnt he voice out? perhaps his then boss had told him not to worry that even after he leaves office he was going to handover to his boy(yaradua). that would have been the time he would be recognised as the true hero fighting corruption in it's totality. but now everything has backfired and he shud face the music, people sit back. relax and watch as more drama unfold in the government of our beloved country, God bless nigeria
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by tjay007: 11:04am On Aug 07, 2008
chidi, i dey feel you jare,  leave all these ribadu loyalist 'em alone to sympathize with him. i sure say when nemesis catch up with obj too some sympathizers will also be on his train saying he did a lot good things for the country and deserves a merit award for it . good 4 'em,
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by dayokanu(m): 11:12am On Aug 07, 2008
Chidichris,

God Bless you.

All these while when he turned a blind eye to the real thieves. OBJ, Iyabo, Gbenga, Fani-Kayode and Aborisade

I even feel he might go to Jail self. This demotion is surely not the end.

The was given double promotion earlier now it has been reversed.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by sharpman1(m): 11:41am On Aug 07, 2008
From the Punch

Confusion in NIPSS over Ribadu’s demotion
By Tobi Soniyi, Tony Amokeodo, Musikilu Mojeed, Jude Owuamanam, Kayode Ketefe and Fidelis Soriwei
Published: Thursday, 7 Aug 2008

The demotion of the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, from an Assistant Inspector-General of Police to Deputy Commissioner of Police has thrown the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, Plateau State into confusion.

Ribadu is attending the Senior Executive Course 30 of the institute based on his rank as an AIG at the time he was sent to NIPPS in a controversial manner. The minimum entry requirement for senior police officers for the programme is Commissioner of Police.

The former EFCC boss is expected to graduate from NIPPS in September.

The Acting Director -General of the Institute, Dr. Yakubu Sankey, told our correspondent in Kuru on Wednesday that the management was at a loss over what to do with Ribadu.

Sankey said that with the demotion, NIPPS was confused because Ribadu was more than half-way into the programme.

He said, “The development in the police is a surprise to us here; they sent him here and he is more than half-way through his programme, so what do we do? This is the first time we are facing this kind of situation.

“I am waiting for instruction from above. I don’t think it is wise for us to say anything on the issue, more so that police authorities have not briefed us on the demotion. Since we read it in the newspapers we cannot just tell him to go away on that basis. We are waiting for a directive from above and until we hear from there, we cannot do anything.’’

Our correspondent in Jos learnt that Ribadu attended lectures on Wednesday with his course-mates.

There was, however, uneasy calm at the Police Force Headquarters, Abuja on Wednesday, over Ribadu’s demotion and 139 other police officers by the Police Service Commission.

The News Agency of Nigeria reported that officers and men converged in groups, discussing the matter, especially that of Ribadu and other commissioners.

A cross-section of police officers said the development was a good policy that was capable of ending godfatherism in the force.

“This type of policy is the best, it will provide a level-playing ground for all officers, and it will do away with godfatherism in the Force,‘‘ an Assistant Commissioner of Police, who preferred anonymity, said.

On the demotion of the late Haz Iwendi, a former Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, some of the policemen said it was normal to de-rank, dismiss or promote a deceased officer, depending on the situation.

“In the military and para-military, the law provides that a deceased officer, soldier or man can be demoted, dismissed or promoted, depending on his offence or merit,‘‘ one of them said.

NAN also reported that offices of some of the commissioners demoted to deputy commissioners were less busy on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the former Chief of Staff to Ribadu, Mr. Dapo Olorunyomi, has said that the ex- EFCC boss is not bothered about his demotion.

He said, “I can confirm to you that Ribadu is taking the development with philosophical calmness. As you know, he has two or three months to go in his course in Kuru. That is the only thing in his mind for now.

“The development as bizarre as it is will not dampen his morale and those of others who earnestly want to serve their country.”

Olorunyomi said Ribadu had appealed to all his associates, friends and sympathisers, who called to express concern, to remain calm and law-abiding.

But more Nigerians, including a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, have slammed the PSC for the demotion.

The other Nigerians are another SAN, Mrs. Funke Adekoya; a former Edo State Governor, Chief Odigie Oyegun and the Chairman of the National Conscience Party, Dr. Osagie Obayuwana.

They said it was patently illegal and embarrassing for the PSC to hide under ‘due process’ to demote officers that did not promote themselves.

Fawehinmi, in a statement said, “ Ribadu’s non-criminal offence for these atrocious and oppressive actions of the Federal Government against him is his (Ribadu’s) honest character and the unprecedented arrest, arraignment and trial of some powerful bigmen for corruption.

“I want President Umaru Yar’Adua to realise that any government that punishes honesty sows the seeds of its inevitable destruction by corruption.”

On her part, Adekoya said, “I think it is very wrong and harsh on these officials for them to be demoted like that.

“However, the PSC has the power to appoint and promote officers. If the promotion of these officials did not follow due process, then the demotion will not be illegal.

“Even then, it is an embarrassment to the whole nation that these officers were promoted only to be demoted.”

In his own comment, Oyegun said that the government should have committed its effort towards chasing those that had stolen the money of the Nigerian people instead of going after Ribadu which is a less important issue.

Obayuwana also said that Ribadu’s demotion was “ridiculous, vindictive, a disappointing signal and serious contradictions on the part of the government.”

Also on Wednesday, a group, the Socio –Economic and Accountability Project, said it had written to the Special Rappoteur on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders at the United Nations’ Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mrs. Margaret Sekaggya, to condemn Ribadu’s demotion.

In the letter to Sekaggya, SERAP said that the demotion was “in bad faith and part of a persistent smear campaign against Ribadu for his anti-corruption campaign while in office.”

It asked the Special Rappoteur to assert her mandates by putting pressure on the Federal Government to reverse its decision to demote Ribadu and to stop further harassment and intimidation against him.

SERAP also asked the Special Rapporteur to send a strong message to the Federal Government that the campaign of intimidation and harassment against anti-corruption campaigner was unacceptable and would not be tolerated.

The group said that there were credible reports that while the government was announcing Ribadu’s demotion, the State Security Service was also making attempts to arrest him in Kuru, Jos, purportedly for “questioning”.

The SSS however denied that it attempted to arrest the former EFCC chairman.

An SSS source disclosed to one of our corespondents that it has got nothing to do with Ribadu’s demotion. “It is purely a police affair and we are not involved at all.”

However, it was learnt that although Ribadu is still in Kuru at Wednesday evening, he might have been officially served a formal invitation through the office of the Plateau State Director of the SS. It was not clear as at press time the reason for his invitation.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by vikiviko(m): 12:01pm On Aug 07, 2008
The Nigerian system can make you to be a super human today and tomorrow a nobody.

Nuhu Ribadu was a super human in the years gone by , he was given all the powers in Nigeria to arrest and humiliate criminal governors and busineess rogues , sadly the same system is withdrawing everything that made Ribadu a super human.
He should accept it in good fate.
There is time for everything.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by syke80(f): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2008
Again, McKren, you do not get it.
Yar'Adua has done what is right by getting rid of Ribadu.

There was not need to fight over left over; the right thing to do was to immediately discard the mess OBJ left behind.

If Ribadu was still in-charge, Ehindero would still be walking around beating his chest as the man, his sister wouldn't have been demoted (as she was also promoted illegally), Bode George would still be sitting pretty, Akala would still be stealing 1 Billion every 11 months as a governor and many many more.

Ribadu played himself.
Yar'Adua has done well. [quote][/quote]
what are u talking about, like Obasanjo Didn`t  do anything for the country.in as much as he did a lot of wrong, he also put a lot of reforms in place that  has done the economy a lot of Good.Can we stop focusing on all the Bad things and focus on the Good things that came out of his administration(be  a grateful Nigerian 4 once), What he was able to achieve during is tenure, a lot of people won`t have been able to achieve( thanks to Oga YAR`ADUA for reverting and destroying what took years to build, all in the name of  of due process,he is just one big puppet being pulled with strings "zombi"wink.

they should give ribadu a break Jo, afterall, he did not promote himself to that position, he was promoted by an appropriate authority and was placed on salary, so no authority can wake up and just demote them, its not just right. Due process my ass, does the PSC not offend the elementary rule of natural justice and fair hearing enshrined in the 1999 Constitution? Abeg forget Due process, its just pure VENDETA.
Ribadu should keep up with the good fight, not giving up(like a coward) but fighting to the end. Heroes are not known for quiting but fighting to the end.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by adeseni(m): 12:46pm On Aug 07, 2008
This Yardu'a man is not a saint as he  actually portrays himself.He is behind everything that is happening to Ribadu,am sure the Police Service Commission would not try demoting Ribadu without clearance from the presidency because of the outrage that it would cause.This is a man that won  the Inspector General Of Police merit award three times pre obasanjo era,he also won the Attorney General's award in 1999,Just so that we all know, the current IGP, Mike Okiro, was Commissioner of Police when Ribadu was Assistant Commissioner. The same Okiro had a frog jump from Commissioner of Police to Deputy Inspector general of Police yet no tongues wagged. Ribadu was even Acting Assistant Commissioner of Police when the last IGP, Sunday Ehindero, was a Commissioner of Police.Policemen are always given double promotion based on performance including sport men that are in the force as a sort of reward,Ribadu's promotion is not the first  and would not be the last,they just want to mess up this man's career. They are now trying to remove him from NIPSS claiming he is not qualified and he has almost completed his study there,meanwhile he was sent there in the first instance because he was an  "AIG'' and need to be trained.Yardu'a does mind to waste all the money the Federal Government has spent on him to train him just to humiliate him and everybody please be aware that Yardu'a game plan for Ribadu demotion is to find a alibi for not returning him to EFCC claiming he is no longer qualified.But with this God that we all serve Ribadu would definitely bounce back.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by Mamajama(m): 3:11pm On Aug 07, 2008
QUOATE

The Guardian yesterday, Afenifere wondered why the current Inspector-General of Police, Mike Okiro, was not affected if really the reason for the demotion was that the affected officers were "promoted out of rank."

"It is on record that he (Okiro) was promoted from Commissioner of Police (CP) to Deputy Inspector-General (DIG) without ever being an Assistant Inspector-General (AIG). Even his confirmation as IG bypassed (Ogbonnaya) Onovo who was senior to him," Afenifere said.

Can someone ask the police service commission why Okiro was promoted over Onovo?

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by idupaul: 3:15pm On Aug 07, 2008
hmmmmm.na waoo, shei i warned u guys of mr yaradua.
Re: Police Demotes Ribadu- Ex Efcc Boss by A40(m): 3:29pm On Aug 07, 2008
This thing reminds me of snakes and ladders can yall remember that game?His promotion was dubious in the first place i guess they just realised their mistake i mean he flew from Commisioner of Police to AIG thats not done anywhere undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I Would ‘ve Joined Boko Haram – Ex-military Gov, Onoja / Ozubulu Church Killings: We Are Close To Arresting The Gunman - Obiano / 90 Minutes Exclusive Interview With The President - Muhammadu Buhari 7/1/2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.