Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,687 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! (33984 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Dearest Nigerians, People Are Suffering.. Read This! / Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 11:04pm On Jan 06, 2014
logica: LMAO @ the backlash.

Backlash indeed!. That shows you how men are opposed to change.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by walexbiz(m): 11:05pm On Jan 06, 2014
paris10:

Promiscuity shouldnt form basis of your argument. You should consider other possibilities and senseless reasons why men divorce women.

The macho man and the " I am the owner of this house" syndrome is the only reason why Nigerian men behave this callously. If Nigerian men start parting with half of their property maybe they will think twice before filing for a divorce.

Prenup will solve the issue
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by johhnnie(m): 11:10pm On Jan 06, 2014
Guys. Open ur wisdom and enlargee your reasoning. Start signing prenups so as not to be caught unawares.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by bigx(m): 11:13pm On Jan 06, 2014
paris10:

Backlash indeed!. That shows you how men are opposed to change.

Change can be progression on regression,

Stop spitting in the wind, the post was ill presented and ill intentioned, go back, reframe your thoughts logically and repost

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Pamcrest(f): 11:25pm On Jan 06, 2014
DailyNews: In as much as I like and agree with your comment, I would like to advice ladies to pray for a good man...pray to marry into a good family....and pray for an enduring marriage and don't go thinking about divorce. Divorce is not a good option...don't make plans for it...plan for good and you will have the best. Be financially independent, save and invest as a married lady but not just because of: if your husband divorces you or dies cos whatever you plan for will surely happen with time...most ladies that lose their hubbies or get divorced do crop the idea of fear of death or divorce....a study has showed this. So avoid thinking about it...same way, if you dont want to be a victim of accident, dont think about accident when you are inside a moving car...focus on getting to your destination in peace than cropping an inner fear in your mind.

I quite agree with u and be rest assured i dont pray for divorce or death for anyone, but in my counselling work, I get to handle numerous cases of women who suffer just because they have no means of livelihood after a divorce or death. The worst victims are the children, so pls pardon my pessimism....I just need to get it out to our women to take action with regards to their personal finances....get employed and invest and save.....
My humble submission
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by HenryThegreat1(m): 11:27pm On Jan 06, 2014
-i concur wth dis
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Pdizzle(m): 11:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
mgbeketoto: Nigerian women!
Learn from the WHITE MAN AND WOMAN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JXSeaS2ZhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoIc3xGE0bQ
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 06, 2014
lady gogo: i sometimes wonder what all those female legislators do with their time in the National Assembly.

If these measures were in place i trust that a lot of endurance type marriages will have ended a long time ago.
certainly not all union is well built to stand the test of time. Women suffer a lot too in some of these awkward unions, that much I can testify. Yet we must take heed never to go the way of the Americans! I do not know what kind of relationship that is not fostered and furthered by endurance.

A situation where we want to be everything we see on tv, read on soft sell magazines and the likes, is why very many marriages are collapsing. This generation has a lot to learn from the one that is passing away, as far as, marriage and family values are concerned. Then, again, we need to shun the habit of evaluating our lifestyle from the standpoint of westernisation.

Once we begin to do these, everything else will quite naturally fall into its place. Please let's give love a chance, promote marriage and create a healthy society for our children to live in. It pays to love, it pays to forgive, it pays to endure; no relationship is ever perfect!

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Toks2008(m): 11:43pm On Jan 06, 2014
paris10: As in the norms in Nigeria, women who get divorced or are been thrown out of their matrimonial homes by their husbands tend to lose out alot.

Even in domestic violence cases, women who couldnt take the violence any longer divorce the husband without sharing in the property.

Though Nigeria is not UK, US or other western countries where women share in the estate or property of the husband after divorce, Nigerian men should atleast take responsibility in making sure the woman they divorce would be well-off after letting her go.

Laws should also be put in place to reward any woman whose husband left her for someone else. Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.

Married women deserve better and should be treated better.

I was actually beginning to respect your post until i got to the bolder part. I am restraining myself from saying you are.... please don't get me mad this evening. Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Arialbold: 11:47pm On Jan 06, 2014
Women are suffering in Nigeria. This is not a new story.
Instead of us to face our problems, we pretend as if divorce doesn't exist in naija. we say "oh it's a western problem" yet women are getting thrown out of their matrimonial homes every day. we refuse to acknowledge the issue talkless of show concern for the welfare of these women.

My own is, women need to reject the idea of "submissiveness"
if you become submissive, you refuse to work hard to gain your independence, if your king husband throws you out of his house, what then will become of you? you do not have a career, no business just a housewife turn destitute.
I reject the notion of women being depedent on men. that is the worst thing you can do to womanhood.

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Chimoski87(m): 11:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
Even in cases where the woman is found to be
promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate
measure should be put in place to make sure she
share from the spoils

I hope what u wrote above is not exactly what I am thinking of? If it is, thunder fire u

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by tensor77(m): 11:54pm On Jan 06, 2014
paris10: As in the norms in Nigeria, women who get divorced or are been thrown out of their matrimonial homes by their husbands tend to lose out alot.
Even in domestic violence cases, women who couldnt take the violence any longer divorce the husband without sharing in the property.
Though Nigeria is not UK, US or other western countries where women share in the estate or property of the husband after divorce, Nigerian men should atleast take responsibility in making sure the woman they divorce would be well-off after letting her go.
Laws should also be put in place to reward any woman whose husband left her for someone else. Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.
This post would have been excellent BUT for the fact that it advocates rewarding promiscuity. No way. A promiscuous spouse should live with and deal with the consequences of her actions upon divorce. That is all.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 11:56pm On Jan 06, 2014
Arial.bold:
Women are suffering in Nigeria. This is not a new story.
Instead of us to face our problems, we pretend as if divorce doesn't exist in naija. we say "oh it's a western problem" yet women are getting thrown out of their matrimonial homes every day. we refuse to acknowledge the issue talkless of show concern for the welfare of these women.

My own is, women need to reject the idea of "submissiveness"
if you become submissive, you refuse to work hard to gain your independence, if your king husband throws you out of his house, what then will become of you? you do not have a career, no business just a housewife turn destitute.
I reject the notion of women being depedent on men. that is the worst thing you can do to womanhood.

Some sensible post we got here. Wish people could open their minds, think and look around them. And as per the promiscuity stuff... men cheat and its ok by many, women do the same, divorce creeps in. Bunch of hypocrites!
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Sagamite(m): 11:58pm On Jan 06, 2014
I don't know what most of you are talking about. The post became moronic from here.

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by dinachi(m): 12:05am On Jan 07, 2014
This is a clarion call to men out there! Do not be deceived by the tricks of the Feminist OP. That is how men let down their guard in the western countries and today they are regarded less than dogs! A lot of women in the US who are otherwise dumb and docile get to go with millions of dollars just because they were smart enough to ensnare one idiotic rich man to marry them. An after a few years they now divorce the man and start living large. My take is simple. The man should not give a dime to the wife after divorce. If the wife is incapable of taking care of the kids then she should hand them over to the man. The American divorce laws so favor women that it makes more economic sense to divorce their husbands than stay together with him. DIVORCE MUST NOT BE MADE ATTRACTIVE!

4 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 12:06am On Jan 07, 2014
Chimoski87:

I hope what u wrote above is not exactly what I am thinking of? If it is, thunder fire u
Hahahahaha...

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 12:08am On Jan 07, 2014
dinachi: Do not be deceived by the tricks of the Feminist OP.
Tricks? I don't see any tricks in here. Just a typical dumb post is all.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by coogar: 12:10am On Jan 07, 2014
dinachi: This is a clarion call to men out there! Do not be deceived by the tricks of the Feminist OP. That is how men let down their guard in the western countries and today they are regarded less than dogs

A lot of women in the US who are otherwise dumb and docile get to go with millions of dollars just because they were smart enough to ensnare one idiotic rich man to marry them. An after a few years they now divorce the man and start living large. My take is simple. The man should not give a dime to the wife after divorce. If the wife is incapable of taking care of the kids then she should hand them over to the man. The American divorce laws so favor women that it makes more economic sense to divorce their husbands than stay together with him. DIVORCE MUST NOT BE MADE ATTRACTIVE!

even the men in western countries are smarting up now. the mumu husbands are reducing at an alarming rate cos many of them are not even marrying & the ones marrying are taking few steps ahead of their greedy wives.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 12:10am On Jan 07, 2014
Sagamite: I don't know what most of you are talking about. The post became moronic from here.

Sagamite.. moronic or not, not a single one of you guys accept that you bunch treat your wives as slaves. You intentionally ignore the fact that some women go through abusive relationship, yet ignorantly ranting your displeasure over facts.

I still stand by my assertion... men cheat and in a huge volume. And if your wife cheat and you file for a divorce, then you're an hypocrite. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by coogar: 12:20am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:
Sagamite.. moronic or not, not a single one of you guys accept that you bunch treat your wives as slaves. You intentionally ignore the fact that some women go through abusive relationship, yet ignorantly ranting your displeasure over facts.

speak for yourself - where are the slaves?

I still stand by my assertion... men cheat and in a huge volume. And if your wife cheat and you file for a divorce, then you're an hypocrite. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

50% of all firstborns in nigeria are bastärds according to one DNA expert. how can that be if women are not cheating in a high volume?
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 07, 2014
dinachi: This is a clarion call to men out there! Do not be deceived by the tricks of the Feminist OP. That is how men let down their guard in the western countries and today they are regarded less than dogs! A lot of women in the US who are otherwise dumb and docile get to go with millions of dollars just because they were smart enough to ensnare one idiotic rich man to marry them. An after a few years they now divorce the man and start living large. My take is simple. The man should not give a dime to the wife after divorce. If the wife is incapable of taking care of the kids then she should hand them over to the man. The American divorce laws so favor women that it makes more economic sense to divorce their husbands than stay together with him. DIVORCE MUST NOT BE MADE ATTRACTIVE!

It shouldn't matter who the kids stay with, even if it is the man then the woman should send her share of contribution for their upkeep. How can someone call himself/herself a parent and refuse to take financial responsibility for their children.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by AreaFada2: 12:24am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:

Promiscuity shouldnt form basis of your argument. You should consider other possibilities and senseless reasons why men divorce women.

The macho man and the " I am the owner of this house" syndrome is the only reason why Nigerian men behave this callously. If Nigerian men start parting with half of their property maybe they will think twice before filing for a divorce.

True, just maybe then nobody will marry the women at all, baby mamas all the way. After all no marriage no divorce. cheesy

People have to be careful what they wish for. This marriage boom will stop. See UK today.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Arialbold: 12:28am On Jan 07, 2014
coogar:
50% of all firstborns in nigeria are bastärds according to one DNA expert. how can that be if women are not cheating in a high volume?

this statement is just crazy. Can you name this so-called DNA expert?
Nigeria is a poor developing country where legal marriage (by western style civic court) is actually a middle and upper class luxury. Do you think majority of Nigerians go to court to get married? you are out of touch.
the weird thing is that when western countries start doing away with the standard (conformist middle class) idea of "marriage" you and your ignorant kind will act as if this is something new or something "imported"

same goes with divorce. we like to say divorce is a "western" idea without recognizing the fact that "naija style divorce" is just as popular and has been happening for ages. where women and/or kids are just thrown out of the home without recourse legal or otherwise. This is assuming the husband doesn't kick the wife out while keeping the kids away from her. In naija, men do whatever they want and women suffer immensely when the marriage doesn't work.

4 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 12:29am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:
not a single one of you guys accept that you bunch treat your wives as slaves.
That your father treated your mother as a slave does not mean we are party to such. Please speak about your family issues and don't extend to others.

6 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 12:38am On Jan 07, 2014
logica: That your father treated your mother as a slave does not mean we are party to such. Please speak about your family issues and don't extend to others.

I wont trade insult with you.

3 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 12:40am On Jan 07, 2014

The bolded was where you lost credibility
Absolute Nonsense!!

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by coogar: 12:40am On Jan 07, 2014
Arial.bold:

this statement is just crazy. Can you name this so-called DNA expert?
Nigeria is a poor developing country where legal marriage (by civic court) is actually a middle and upper class class luxury. Do you think majority of Nigerians go to court to get married?
same goes with divorce. we like to say divorce is a "western" idea without recognizing the fact that "naija style divorce" is just as popular. where women and/or kids are just thrown out of the home without recourse legal or otherwise. This is assuming the husband doesn't kick the wife out while keeping the kids away from her. In naija, men do whatever they want and women suffer immensely when the marriage doesn't work.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/10/02/dna-expert-gives-shocking-statistics-3-out-of-10-nigerian-men-are-not-biological-fathers-of-their-children/
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Hoodrat(m): 12:41am On Jan 07, 2014
God bless the poster, amen.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 12:42am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:

I wont trade insult with you.
LOL. So your previous silly post I quoted is not an insult? Calling us slavers of our wives is not an insult to you? My post was not even an insult; just a reminder to you that we are not your father. If you have issues with him, go take them up with him.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Naijamericana: 12:43am On Jan 07, 2014
Area-Fada:

True, just maybe then nobody will marry the women at all, baby mamas all the way. After all no marriage no divorce. cheesy

People have to be careful what they wish for. This marriage boom will stop. See UK today.

I like that! Yup baby mamas all the way...hahaha...who says you have to get married just becos you get belle?
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Chomzy19(f): 12:47am On Jan 07, 2014
coogar:

speak for yourself - where are the slaves?

How far can You go in your Blind Zeal to Paint Women as those who cheat more or to support men in general.. 50% of wch firstborns?? In wch Nigeria?? By wch stupid DNA experts?? 50% of Nigerians can't even feed comfortably nt to talk of going for DNA tests or did this your DNA expert take dis tests for free just to ascertain d No of bastards in Nig? 70%of Nigerian families hv not gone for DNA tests or any paternity test at all in their lives, Nigerians only usually go for these things wen d need Arises so wch Nigerians did this your "DNA EXPERT" use for his research exactly??...

3 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by adonis89(m): 12:49am On Jan 07, 2014
D OP sounds like a feminist ! Women always play d victim wen it coms to divorce! Men also suffer from divorce in western countries. Women over there mostly divorce 4 no reasons,sometimes on grounds dat de are tired of d marriage and want 2 b free. And d women takes a big chunk of his property and also his children. Dis is a major reason american men don't marry american women bkos wen it coms 2 divorce,d men r been treated like 2nd class citizen. In as much as I don't support wife battery and other vices against women,feminism is evil and its spoiling women of dis age wit increasing rate of divorce and lesbianism.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

My Husband Is A Serial Adulterer, He Slept With My Sister – Woman Tells Court / What do Your Parents Do When A Movie Gets To A Sex Scene / How Have You Been Able To Survive This Unfavorable Economy? Share Your Experienc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.