Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora (27197 Views)

Poll: Should Nigerians abroad take this call seriously?

Yes: 30% (27 votes)
No: 70% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

Buni Yadi Residents Return Home Years After Boko Haram Attacks / Kill PDP Before It Kills All Of Us, Buhari Charges Nigerians / 2015: Vote Out Incompetent Leaders, Kumuyi Charges Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by muyithomas(m): 5:39pm On Aug 21, 2008
They will come only when our leaders stop sending their own family's abroad.They should stop going abroad for medical check up and stop using public funds for their own private use.Justice should be seen and enforced,then naija people abroad will come home.

Abi no bi so?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by xyoun: 5:40pm On Aug 21, 2008
MrPrsdent:

This guy must be the biggest joker grin

what are you MMMMMMMMMMOTHER FUCKER still doing on this forum,
ALL of yall should leave us, and stop talking trash
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by sesan99(m): 5:50pm On Aug 21, 2008
fashola want nigerians to come back home for police to make more money with there useless road block
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Sentra: 6:03pm On Aug 21, 2008
Straight up trash talk.Most of us who left the shores of Nigeria to seek greener pastures elsewhere did so out of figuration.A country where nothing works and corruption is the order of the day.Unemployment is at record levels and robbers having field day everyday.Business mortality is the natural outcome of those who dare to venture into biz.To me returning home of Nigerian in diaspora Will only put additional strain on the already dying economy.Until Fashola and co put all the necessary infrastructure in place for the country to move forward,I have one phrase for him count me out!
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by busybody20: 6:06pm On Aug 21, 2008
Return home 2 traffic (hold up), one chance, insecurity, poor education, poverty, gbomo gbomo, thieves,hired assasins, ritualist, darkness (no light), bad roads, hospital that lack facillites, RUDE policemen,unemployment, corruption etc

Sorry, I have gotten myself another HOME. cool
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Sarifat(f): 6:17pm On Aug 21, 2008
dem dey come
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by CyberG: 7:17pm On Aug 21, 2008
Abeg, no kill me with lafta ooooooooo!!!!!!!!! LLLLLMMMMMAAAAOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by mide1811: 7:17pm On Aug 21, 2008
Fellow Naijarians, am sure u all dint undastand bros fash, he actually has a beta plan 4 evribody abroad coming back home, he has a ready made job dat does not require test or interview.

He wants evribody 2 come back home & start planting flowers evriwhere, tot dey said dat guy is a lawyer, its a pity,cos he lacks ideas & direction 2 be fit 4 d law profession. The guy is purely a MUMU
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by romeo(m): 7:31pm On Aug 21, 2008
Govano Fashola abeg na flight ticket money be their problem! you fit organise charter plane make i help you put them for plane by force?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 7:49pm On Aug 21, 2008
Fashola is referring to the brain drain issue. Brain drain is a huge problem for most African countries

Maybe if Nigerians stop all this religious nonsense, maybe then, theyll be able to stay in their own countries.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 8:17pm On Aug 21, 2008
JEEZZ!!!! I am in America and enjoying my Religion and being religious here. What has Religion to do with being told by Fashola to move back to Nigeria? By the way, what brain drain?? Why do we like to focus on making a huge issue out of the the effect and not the root/underlying problem?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 8:31pm On Aug 21, 2008
Yes, I think religion is a huge factor in Nigeria's backward state. BUT not to sidetrack from the conversation.

What is the underlying problem ? In fact, I think that its much EASY to talk about problems than to discuss solutions.

Meaning: I believe Fashola's comment is that Nigerians in the Diaspora should come home to find solutions to problems that haunt Nigeria.

Its much easy to discuss problems: no light, no water, gas, armed robber, corruption, thieves, no jobs, no safety, environmental pollution and the list is endless,

the real questions becomes what can WE (as a people) do about it. I find that most of the time, I find that when people go back home from abroad, they become part of the problem (they are corrupt and you know don't do anything different)
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 8:31pm On Aug 21, 2008
Kobojunkie: Nigeria needs you. wink wink wink

I'm sure that the little change you can make within your level of expertise might be worthwhile.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by lepashandi: 8:33pm On Aug 21, 2008
who needs them - let them rot where they are - they are goats.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 8:39pm On Aug 21, 2008
madamkoko:

Kobojunkie: Nigeria needs you. wink wink wink

I'm sure that the little change you can make within your level of expertise might be worthwhile.

What good will I, or anyone planning to move back to Nigeria, be to Nigeria, if we Land Today but are found dead Tommorow ( Possibly Die in a Car accident on those death traps called roads, Or get ambushed on the way from the airport by Bushmen ( Armed robbers), Or get blown up by some tanker fire)? Tell me, what good?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by lepashandi: 8:57pm On Aug 21, 2008
Kobojunkie:

What good will I, or anyone planning to move back to Nigeria, be to Nigeria, if we Land Today but are found dead Tommorow ( Possibly Die in a Car accident on those death traps called roads, Or get ambushed on the way from the airport by Bushmen ( Armed robbers), Or get blown up by some tanker fire)? Tell me, what good?

Very good question - what good will you or anyone else like you be to Nigeria? Nothing - u will be as useless and as irresponsible as anything - therefore you are not wanted -
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by onyinye2(f): 9:00pm On Aug 21, 2008
lepashandi:

who needs them - let them rot where they are - they are goats.
Why so harsh nna? I mean seriously what good would it be to bring us all back to Nigeria? Will things magically change? Will the gov't change? Will there be jobs for us? Will we be paid for our jobs? Will there be a place to live? Can you answer any of these honestly?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 9:02pm On Aug 21, 2008
Harsh!!!!

I mean there are some people that have schooled abroad and have gone home to do well (of course there are very, very, few examples but there are examples. ) They haven't died nor has anyone killed them.

the woman at the world bank (Oko-Iwela: I don't know her name jare)
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by lepashandi: 9:02pm On Aug 21, 2008
but honestly speaking - the governonr wants to help you people abroad by asking you to come home and become somebody? I ask you - what are you where you are? Flipping burgers? as graduates, traffic wardens, street sweepers, carers who wipe old peoples butts, security officials, or what other thing better are you? How many of you do very glorious jobs to be proud of? Jobs you can tell people at home in Nigeria and be happy about it? How many of you? Apart from saying Nigeria is rotten and so and so - we all know that - but in the same country - people buy cars and build houses on a daily basis - but where you are - all you spend and depend on is nothing but credit - but in Nigeria - people spend their hard earned cash - meaning they make the money -

so - my advice - all of you - stay put where you are and may God Almighty never make it possible for you to come back to the stupid country you left years ago.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2008
Why so harsh nna? I mean seriously what good would it be to bring us all back to Nigeria? Will things magically change? Will the gov't change? Will there be jobs for us? Will we be paid for our jobs? Will there be a place to live? Can you answer any of these honestly?

Good question but do we always have to wait for the government to do everything for us.

I mean if you examine America in the 1960s African Americans FOUGHT mercilessly for change. (Yes, many died) BUT we all (yes, including us Africans and other immigrants) are all enjoying at the work of thier hands.

Take South Africa too (the aparthied movement) THE PEOPLE FOUGHT AND DEMANDED change.

The thing with Nigeria is that there is no sense of ownership on any side. No nationalism, nothing. So people have the common mentality that its everyone for themselves.

Change will happen when people DEMAND IT and somethings freedom comes with a price.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by onyinye2(f): 9:07pm On Aug 21, 2008
lepashandi:

but honestly speaking - the governonr wants to help you people abroad by asking you to come home and become somebody? I ask you - what are you where you are? Flipping burgers? as graduates, traffic wardens, street sweepers, carers who wipe old peoples butts, security officials, or what other thing better are you? How many of you do very glorious jobs to be proud of? Jobs you can tell people at home in Nigeria and be happy about it? How many of you? Apart from saying Nigeria is rotten and so and so - we all know that - but in the same country - people buy cars and build houses on a daily basis - but where you are - all you spend and depend on is nothing but credit - but in Nigeria - people spend their hard earned cash - meaning they make the money -

so - my advice - all of you - stay put where you are and may God Almighty never make it possible for you to come back to the stupid country you left years ago.
Oka you need to hold on to your britches before you twist your zipper. You see i will paid more here than i will ever be paid in Nigeria. I have done the research. For that governor to tell us all to come home, is like what? Are you serious? It is like how can you tell us to come there when there are people begging to come here? Does that make any sense to you? Here i am paid rightful well for my services, don't have to worry about strikes or being stopped by armed robbers.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 9:08pm On Aug 21, 2008
@ lepashandi  I see your frustration and anger but easy man.

Yes, everyone buys everything on credit INCLUDING NIGERIANS. I have a friend whose father (living in Nigeria)  borrowed money from the bank to pay for her medical school abroad. (I highly doubt he'll pay that money bank).

Anyways sha, essence of the story is people are speaking out of fear: NO ONE WANTS TO DIE for nothing as kobojunkie put it.

I should state that Nigerians are the most educated group of immigrants leaving abroad. Although many don't have papers.  LOL. (Not funny but true)
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by onyinye2(f): 9:09pm On Aug 21, 2008
madamkoko:

Good question but do we always have to wait for the government to do everything for us.

I mean if you examine America in the 1960s African Americans FOUGHT mercilessly for change. (Yes, many died) BUT we all (yes, including us Africans and other immigrants) are all enjoying at the work of their hands.

Take South Africa too (the aparthied movement) THE PEOPLE FOUGHT AND DEMANDED change.

The thing with Nigeria is that there is no sense of ownership on any side. No nationalism, nothing. So people have the common mentality that its everyone for themselves.

Change will happen when people DEMAND IT and somethings freedom comes with a price.
All this jive you are spittin is useless and you know it. So who will give us jobs since the gov't won't? Who will pay us since we won't depend on the gov't to give us our checks. Who will protect us from harm, since we won't depend on gov't owned police men for closure?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by lepashandi: 9:11pm On Aug 21, 2008
I was in the UK, studied for a Master's degree in one of the best Universities and made the best grade but chose to come back to Nigeria - because Nigeria is my home and I don't see a better life than in Nigeria where I came from. I knoiw many like that -

for the people outside to call it laughable and frustrating to live in Nigeria, is the same thing for people who have tasted the two sides to call it laughable for them to decide to stay and live there,.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 9:12pm On Aug 21, 2008
@ onyinye2
So who will give us jobs since the gov't won't? Who will pay us since we won't depend on the gov't to give us our checks.

Are you a slowpoke ?
Cause if you are then you can be asking such useless questions.

Like private companies/corporations don't exist in Nigeria. Abeg jare go sit don. I don't think that you've been to Nigeria as of late.

WAIT ON THE GOVERNMENT. KEEP ON WAITING. SIT DON THERE.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2008
madamkoko:

I mean if you examine America in the 1960s African Americans FOUGHT mercilessly for change. (Yes, many died) BUT we all (yes, including us Africans and other immigrants) are all enjoying at the work of their hands.

I don’t believe this has anything to do with the fight of the African Americans back in the 1960’s  ooo… Let me use America explain am to you .

When Cities or townships need to attract people and companies. They do not go out begging people to come first. They instead focus on improving their infrastructure and creating opportunities that attract those from outside to their towns. Is that asking Government for too much? I repeat, Nigeria does not need Nationalism or all the other crap to develop. We need simple common sense. IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME. If the government does not build a conducive environment, why would people want to come? I can always invest from afar, and that seems to be what makes more sense at this point considering that the government is still not as organized as many expected by now. Who in his right mind will, knowing how unsafe it is in many locals down there, move his family into such a neighborhood in the name of nationalism? I believe such a person should be checked into ward 7 for help.

As much as the people have a role to play, government has it’s own part and it does not make sense to demand nationalism from the people but not demand the same from government, which was installed in the first place by the people to ensure these things are put in place.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by onyinye2(f): 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2008
madamkoko:

@ onyinye2  

Are you a slowpoke ?

Like private companies/corporations don't exist in Nigeria. Abeg jare go sit don. I don't think that you've been to Nigeria as of late.

First off madam, don't be calling me no slowpoke. Oka you is a grown woman so act like it. So do you really think all these private companies, corporations, organizations will fund all of us? I mean real talk.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by janami(f): 9:15pm On Aug 21, 2008
No place like home.
but Naija doesnt really have much to offer.
Not enough for everyone.
My best advice for those outside the country thinkin of comin back home is to save up real good
Then come and set smtg up here .   .  .   .   .
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 9:16pm On Aug 21, 2008
madamkoko:

@ onyinye2

Are you a slowpoke ?

I believe her questions are valid. All over the world, people DEPEND to a great deal on Government to do its job and do it right.  From Cuba to Canada; from Australia to the top of the world, that is the way it works. Even in China and India. People depend on government functioning well to live their lives. Imagine how terrible this place would be if government did not ensure the roads were fixed or plowed when they had to or the police was not equipped to secure the people they are assigned to work for? Come on!!

Some complain of how foreign companies come in and hire mostly foreign workers. If we do not have the government to demand these companies at least hire a percentage of locals, do you really think these companies will help the local economy much? Government can not be shoved to the side at all. To Develop nigeria, Government needs to be fixed.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by lepashandi: 9:18pm On Aug 21, 2008
my problem with the so called diasporian is that they have forgotten that people better than them have been outside and have also come back to live in the same Nigeria and have made better life - it is frustration for them to think and beleive that nothing good can become of their life after having lived in "paradise" to come back to nigeria and live in a hell hole.

They become so proud and carry themselves as if people havent been where they are - lived it and moved - it is like that - they deride everything Nigeria - as if that was not the same place that they gre up and became someone - but one minute they travel - and then the next minute they are thinking they will be killed when ever they step their foot in Nigeria - what a sorry life.

Americans, British, Indians, South Africans, chinese etc are coming to Nigeria to reap the fruit of the land - but oh no - my fellow Nigerians are runnin outside the same country to go serve the same oyinbo man - what an irony.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by onyinye2(f): 9:18pm On Aug 21, 2008
lepashandi:

I was in the UK, studied for a Master's degree in one of the best Universities and made the best grade but chose to come back to Nigeria - because Nigeria is my home and I don't see a better life than in Nigeria where I came from. I knoiw many like that -

for the people outside to call it laughable and frustrating to live in Nigeria, is the same thing for people who have tasted the two sides to call it laughable for them to decide to stay and live there,.
You were the lucky one. Both of my parents slaved hours to work to pay for school here. Both had a Master's and Bachelor's degree. When they went back to your beloved home, no one will hire them. Nothing, nada, zipo. So they came back to the states, went back to school. Change their major, and are now success stories. So tell me my brotha, you gonna tell them to pack their things and come back just like that?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by madamkoko: 9:19pm On Aug 21, 2008
@ onyinye2

You see i will paid more here than i will ever be paid in Nigeria. I have done the research.

Its really been a long time since u've been to Nigeria. People  in CERTAIN fields get paid more than people abroad. In fact, people get paid in dollars or pounds . Depends on how you negotiate.

In Nigeria
You get company house
company car
allowance on basic necessities
salary (if well negotiated, it can be in dollars or pounds)
the only thing you should worrry about is theives unfortunately  undecided

Private companies are what have helped employees cope thus far

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Elections 2019: Voters In Bauchi Use Stones To Reserve Their Spaces On Queue.Pix / Dapo Abiodun Meets Gbenga Daniel, After His Resignation From Politics / 9 Ex-Public Officers Forfeit Over N100 Billion To FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.