Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,032 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! (7214 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Do We Go To Hell If We Don’t Believe In Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 6:09am On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

You should read before thoughtlessly hitting the submit button. I made no such claim.

You said that mockery has no place in an intellectual discussion. Jon Stewart does mockery...it is his job, it is what he is known for. Apparently, every night that he goes on to the TV set to present his mockery of the media/politics he isnt getting into an intellectual discussion

davidylan:
they are difficult mostly to the unintelligent. I have read well over 50 papers this year alone and have authored 3 in the last 6 months. Science papers are not written in alien language.

Lol...so have you ever tried to explain the synthesis of amino acids to people without science degrees?

You are very shallow and cant think outside of your bubble. Not everyone studied science. Science journals are not easy to understand, especially to those who didnt study science in higher education. It took me a whole year to even understand how journals did their research or even worked.

davidylan:
if i asked you to define it you would have no clue. better not to even go down that route. It is well established that outside mentioning the name, most of you here have no idea what it really is about.

You have been caught making ignorant statements about evolution. Abeg....do not even try....

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 6:11am On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

you repeated yourself 3 times now, sprinkled with some more ad hominems. Sounds like you lack the intellectual capacity for informed debate.

grin grin grin grin grin

I lack the intellectual capacity?

grin grin grin

We know how people like you behave when you have been debunked.

At this stage, we know that you are ignorant of the effectiveness of mockery in criticisng an idea.

I thought that you were smarter than joshthefirst
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 6:23am On Jul 05, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

You said that mockery has no place in an intellectual discussion. Jon Stewart does mockery...it is his job, it is what he is known for. Apparently, every night that he goes on to the TV set to present his mockery of the media/politics he isnt getting into an intellectual discussion

i think we have debated this ad nauseum. You have a right to your opinion. Chris Rock is a mocker... that's probably why he never comes up in serious political debates. I wonder if Jon would also get a similar treatment if all he did was basically mock fox news. I understand your unwillingness to see the glaring difference, it destroys your narrow point of view. Basically you're trying to use Jon Stewart as a fig leaf to justify the sort of base, thoughtless mockery that you traffic in.

The.Big.Urban:

Lol...so have you ever tried to explain the synthesis of amino acids to people without science degrees?

Only if they didnt spend all their time waffling about the validity of amino acids as a viable answer to the origin of man. If you dont have a science degree then perhaps you should stick to what you know. You wont find me on the accounting thread debating balance sheets with them.

The.Big.Urban:

You are very shallow and cant think outside of your bubble. Not everyone studied science. Science journals are not easy to understand, especially to those who didnt study science in higher education. It took me a whole year to even understand how journals did their research or even worked.

Seems to me that the above is said more out of spite than anything else. Calling me shallow is completely baseless. I will very clearly school you when it comes to molecular biology.

I agree that not everyone studied science... but that is why i expect that most people stick only to disciplines for which they have the requisite knowledge sufficient enough to have an informed discussion. Obviously you have a very poor to none-existent science background (so much for calling others shallow - lol) such that it takes you a whole year to develop a quite poor understanding of how journals do their research (makes zero sense because journals dont do research... journals are the vehicle for publishing research).

You see, you're obviously over your head when it comes to science and evolution in particular. It is why i wonder why folks like you bleat about how others do not understand it. You can barely get through a scientific paper in record time... so stop the nonsensical name dropping.

The.Big.Urban:

You have been caught making ignorant statements about evolution. Abeg....do not even try....

Oh really? By folks like you who think "journals do research"? Please spare me the jokes tonight.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 6:23am On Jul 05, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

grin grin grin grin grin

I lack the intellectual capacity?

grin grin grin

We know how people like you behave when you have been debunked.

At this stage, we know that you are ignorant of the effectiveness of mockery in criticisng an idea.

I thought that you were smarter than joshthefirst

logicboy is that you?
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Weah96: 6:36am On Jul 05, 2014
Joshthefirst: there is one set of people who mock- foolish men who are not convinced of their position.

If you are referring to my position on this Paul fella and whether or not somebody called God spoke to him, then you're wrong. I'm absolutely convinced that he's making the s)hit up. All of those Jewish authors are telling tales. I've never met a Jew who tells the truth, whether in real life or print. Why should your authors be any different? How come Jews are the chosen tribe in a book written by Jewish authors? What's this whole silly thing where God is openly racist and black people aren't offended? Jews are white people, they were owners of slave ships.

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 7:05am On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

i think we have debated this ad nauseum. You have a right to your opinion. Chris Rock is a mocker... that's probably why he never comes up in serious political debates. I wonder if Jon would also get a similar treatment if all he did was basically mock fox news. I understand your unwillingness to see the glaring difference, it destroys your narrow point of view. Basically you're trying to use Jon Stewart as a fig leaf to justify the sort of base, thoughtless mockery that you traffic in.

Actually you are the one spouting ignorance

Chris Rock is a mocker and like many american comedians that have very intelligent political opinions. I guess you are ignorant on the political shows that Chris Rock has voiced his political beliefs on.....

The thing is that many comedians do not have their tv shows like Bill Maher and Jon Stewart

Bill Maher is another mocker.

I dont know how someone can admit that Jon Stewart (who is one of the best political journalist/opinion hosts in usa~) is a mocker and then go ahead to claim that mockery is foolish or has no intellectual value

davidylan:
Only if they didnt spend all their time waffling about the validity of amino acids as a viable answer to the origin of man. If you dont have a science degree then perhaps you should stick to what you know. You wont find me on the accounting thread debating balance sheets with them.

Switching gears again....science journals are not easy to understand- that is the point....stop dodging

davidylan:
Seems to me that the above is said more out of spite than anything else. Calling me shallow is completely baseless. I will very clearly school you when it comes to molecular biology.

I didnt study science.

davidylan:
I agree that not everyone studied science... but that is why i expect that most people stick only to disciplines for which they have the requisite knowledge sufficient enough to have an informed discussion. Obviously you have a very poor to none-existent science background (so much for calling others shallow - lol) such that it takes you a whole year to develop a quite poor understanding of how journals do their research (makes zero sense because journals dont do research... journals are the vehicle for publishing research).

See how you contradict yourself in bold

Each sceintific journal is a piece of research or contains research.

When I said "how journals do research".....any reetard could see that I was talking about the research contained in the journal and how it was compiled

I was referring to how the statstical analysis or the analysis of related research on the research topic was done.

davidylan:
You see, you're obviously over your head when it comes to science and evolution in particular. It is why i wonder why folks like you bleat about how others do not understand it. You can barely get through a scientific paper in record time... so stop the nonsensical name dropping.

This is irrelevant nonsense. try again

davidylan:
Oh really? By folks like you who think "journals do research"? Please spare me the jokes tonight.

Fail.....just fail
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 7:10am On Jul 05, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Switching gears again....science journals are not easy to understand- that is the point....stop dodging

nuff said. It would be better if you said that you dont understand them. I consider them quite easy... perhaps that's because i write mine and also serve as an editor for other science papers while you caterwaul over here with your misinformed nonsense.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 7:22am On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

nuff said. It would be better if you said that you dont understand them. I consider them quite easy... perhaps that's because i write mine and also serve as an editor for other science papers while you caterwaul over here with your misinformed nonsense.

grin grin

This guy can not see the foolishness in his stance.

Science journals would be understood by the scientist. You are a scientist.

But for the laymen and non-scientists......
======================================

Pls think outside your bubble
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Kay17: 7:39am On Jul 05, 2014
Davidlyan could not resist the temptation of derailing the thread.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 7:44am On Jul 05, 2014
Kay 17: Davidlyan could not resist the temptation of derailing the thread.

I'm to blame too cry
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Joshthefirst(m): 8:21am On Jul 05, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

^^
#most ignorant comment of the day.

I told you to read about monty python. Dont let ignorance ruin your life. Mockery is one of the best ways to criticise. It takes a thinking mind to mock something....to make satire of something on purpose.
Lol. The same way people of different religious beliefs mock each other?

Nonsense.

It takes an ignorant and foolish mind to mock things he knows nothing about.

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 8:40am On Jul 05, 2014
Joshthefirst: Lol. The same way people of different religious beliefs mock each other?

Nonsense.

It takes an ignorant and foolish mind to mock things he knows nothing about

Ah....but I was a christian and I do know the bible more than the average christian.

So please, shut your ignorant self up
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 8:45am On Jul 05, 2014
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by MyJoe: 9:20am On Jul 05, 2014
Pastor AIO: The subject of this thread is also treated here in Psalms 14.

14 The fool has said in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt,
They have done abominable works,
There is none who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
3 They have all turned aside,
They have together become corrupt;
There is none who does good,
No, not one.

In their heart they have said 'there is no god' hence their deeds demonstrate this in every way.

In their heart they have said 'there is no god' though from their lips all you can hear all morning all day and all night is 'God God God.'
I share this view – ran a thread on it a while back. “Believer s“ often deny God by their actions. Whereas those who honour God by their actions cut across the spectrum, including some atheists.

texanomaly: This article made some legitimate points. It could have possibly made many people seriously think. It is well written. It even seems to have sufficiently made an argument that can be taken, at face value, to make sense. The place where it loses all credibility, and frankly it is a shame, is here:

"What has the truth got to do with your feelings? If it's only about your feelings, I'm sorry, Bleep your feelings very much!"

Here the author takes a quite brilliant argument and flushes all credibility down the toilet. The entire premise becomes null and void by these two careless lines. The fair and unbiased "report-like" feel of the article takes on a combative, oppositional, illogical and childish feel. By openly attacking the audience, they immediately go on the offensive and disregard any of the logic the author may have had.

Childish indulgence often silences an otherwise intelligent voice.

Smh...what a shame.

You’re right.

But most of us’ve been there sometime. I sometimes find it hard to keep my peace when confronted by the manifestations of the malignant strain of Pentecostalism spreading around me, or the carnage being wrought by the followers of the late Mohammed in northern Nigeria.

mazaje:

According to the bible god once came down and fought the battle himself. . .Killing people and staining his garment with their blood after which he boasted that he killed all the people alone without help. . .
Lol.

Mazaje, how is you?
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Image123(m): 9:34am On Jul 05, 2014
john Stewart the role model thread. Abeg carry your talk somewhere else jor,
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 9:36am On Jul 05, 2014
Image123: john Stewart the role model thread. Abeg carry your talk somewhere else jor,

what is this low life saying?

The point was about mockery and not Jon Stewart per say....and worse, your forget it was davidylan who said that he is a huge fan of jon stewart.

Please, respect your old age. In my village, you would have 5 wives by now
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Image123(m): 10:37am On Jul 05, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

what is this low life saying?

The point was about mockery and not Jon Stewart per say....and worse, your forget it was davidylan who said that he is a huge fan of jon stewart.

Please, respect your old age. In my village, you would have 5 wives by now

errmmm, is this mockery, intellectual, criticism, or plain frustration, a lack of home training and disregard for forum rules/public behavior?

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
Joshthefirst: Lol. The same way people of different religious beliefs mock each other?

Nonsense.

It takes an ignorant and foolish mind to mock things he knows nothing about.

Fantastic point... Jon Stewart is able to frame political issues in a humorous light. He understands US politics. Urban and his ilk mock religion and science that they can barely understand... as you said, it takes only an ignorant mind to do so.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Ah....but I was a christian and I do know the bible more than the average christian.

So please, shut your ignorant self up

the usual retort... as if being a "christian" is synonymous with having any clue what the bible is all about. I am born of an Igbo woman, but i could not speak the language even if you paid me. Just being born igbo does not automatically make me an authority in the culture.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by texanomaly(f): 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

the usual retort... as if being a "christian" is synonymous with having any clue what the bible is all about. I am born of an Igbo woman, but i could not speak the language even if you paid me. Just being born igbo does not automatically make me an authority in the culture.

Wait...did you really just say(type) the bolded?
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Kay17: 5:43pm On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:
Fantastic point... Jon Stewart is able to frame political issues in a humorous light. He understands US politics. Urban and his ilk mock religion and science that they can barely understand... as you said, it takes only an ignorant mind to do so.

How arrogant! Neither have you proven your religious and scientific knowledge NOR become an intellectual heavyweight here.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
Kay 17:

How arrogant! Neither have you proven your religious and scientific knowledge NOR become an intellectual heavyweight here.

Even if Isaac Newton were here, you would not regard him as an intellectual heavyweight (whatever that means) either. To you, knowledge is simply about agreeing with your point of view... nothing to see here. Its a web forum, no one has anything to prove to anyone else. The only point to be made is that those who choose to use science as a platform for their own unbelief need to make sure they understand that science. Its quite rich coming here to whine about evolution when you can barely understand the scientific papers describing it. If you think that is arrogant then to each his own.

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by mazaje(m): 5:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
MyJoe:

Lol.

Mazaje, how is you?

Am good MyJoe, its been a while. . Hope you are good?
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 05, 2014
texanomaly:

Wait...did you really just say(type) the bolded?

Yes i did... and if you notice, i had the word "christian" in quotes. I meant to say that the word "christian" is just that... a word that describes nothing really. Most people who call themselves "christian" barely have a clue what the bible has to say. Read the bible... it is quite clear as to what constitutes a true born again child of God... a mere label does not count.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by mazaje(m): 5:58pm On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

Even if Isaac Newton were here, you would not regard him as an intellectual heavyweight (whatever that means) either. To you, knowledge is simply about agreeing with your point of view... nothing to see here. Its a web forum, no one has anything to prove to anyone else. The only point to be made is that those who choose to use science as a platform for their own unbelief need to make sure they understand that science. Its quite rich coming here to whine about evolution when you can barely understand the scientific papers describing it. If you think that is arrogant then that is your own opinion.

This deluded blow hard is here again. . .The problem is you have failed to show that you understand evolution or have any scientific knowledge better than anybody here. . .Constantly shouting that people do not know what they are saying means NOTHING unless if you have shown that you posses better knowledge than them, so far you haven't so what exactly are you on about?. . How have you shown that you understand evolution better than any body here, i have been following your debates with the evolutionist and you are yet to show that you understand anything better than them,I have actually seen logic boy correct your erroneous knowledge of evolution, enough of your silliness. . .
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by mazaje(m): 6:00pm On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

You have shown that your knowledge of the bible is better than his how?. .
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2014
mazaje:

This deluded blow hard is here again. . .The problem is you have failed to show that you understand evolution or have any scientific knowledge better than anybody here. . .Constantly shouting that people do not know what they are saying means NOTHING unless if you have shown that you posses better knowledge than them, so far you haven't so what exactly are you on about?. . How have you shown that you understand evolution better than any body here, i have been following your debates with the evolutionist and you are yet to show that you understand anything better than them,I have actually seen logic boy correct your erroneous knowledge of evolution, enough of your silliness. . .

just pure spite and nothing more. As i said earlier, even if Einstein were to appear here, neither would you consider him having any scientific knowledge as long as he is on the opposite end of your views.

It always amazes me how people like you whine about others not understanding evolution when you cannot articulate it either. Its like a dutch man whining that someone else does not understand yoruba... by what yardstick does he level such an accusation? lol. This thread and others are nothing but head scratchers really.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Kay17: 6:03pm On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

Even if Isaac Newton were here, you would not regard him as an intellectual heavyweight (whatever that means) either. To you, knowledge is simply about agreeing with your point of view... nothing to see here. Its a web forum, no one has anything to prove to anyone else. The only point to be made is that those who choose to use science as a platform for their own unbelief need to make sure they understand that science. Its quite rich coming here to whine about evolution when you can barely understand the scientific papers describing it. If you think that is arrogant then to each his own.

The intellect is obvious even while in error. So I don't regard everyone that agrees with me an intellectual nor do I regard those who disagree with me as i.diots
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2014
Kay 17:

The intellect is obvious even while in error. So I don't regard everyone that agrees with me an intellectual nor do I regard those who disagree with me as i.diots

not really... i doubt you even believe your own words. Its the time worn tactic atheists use. When you cant articulate your points, simply denigrate the credibility of the other. Works time and again...

To say you dont regard those you disagree with as i.diots is merely playing to the gallery. Frankly all atheists think christians (regardless of any smidgen of knowledge they may have) are intellectually inferior and that empty pride oozes from every single post you all make. Lets not even bother arguing the point.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by submit: 6:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
Kay n co abeg e don do..its quite obvious he's a waste of time.
Please,biko...he has displayed his delusion..just ignore him
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by mazaje(m): 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2014
davidylan:

just pure spite and nothing more. As i said earlier, even if Einstein were to appear here, neither would you consider him having any scientific knowledge as long as he is on the opposite end of your views.

It always amazes me how people like you whine about others not understanding evolution when you cannot articulate it either. Its like a dutch man whining that someone else does not understand yoruba... by what yardstick does he level such an accusation? lol. This thread and others are nothing but head scratchers really.

Not true, I have acknowledge christians and muslims here whom i consider to be bright and different on many cases so you have failed. . .You are yet to show that you have a superior knowledge of science or that you understand evolution better than anybody here. . .So why do you keep repeating that people here do not know anything about science and evolution when you are yet to show that you posses superior knowledge?. . .Your post speak for themselves. . .Read your post and that of others you have been debating with, how have you shown that you are better than them?. . .HOW

2 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 05, 2014
submit: Kay n co abeg e don do..its quite obvious he's a waste of time.
Please,biko...he has displayed his delusion..just ignore him

lol many of you use words that frankly mean nothing in the context of the discussion. Please google the definition of the word "delusion". What really does it mean? Do you understand it outside of employing it purely as an insult? You cant "display delusion" if all you've done is respond to the visceral spite from those who crow about their intellectual bonafides when it comes to science. Its not as if we've been discussing some serious issue on which you can base your claim.

But of course... its a saturday... feel free to speak as you see fit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor Ubani Kingsley Divine Revelation Against MMM And Others / Interesting Videos On Evolution/creationism/spirituality; ETC / Pope And Michael Jackson In Hell? Pls Find Time To Read This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.