Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679087 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 1:01am On Aug 21, 2014
@visa Officer:
I have been on administrative processing for 24 working days and still no word.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:12am On Aug 21, 2014
StSteven: Good evening VO and thanks for your prompt response here. i do read evrything and appreciate it.
But today i need to confirm this from you... can we come for the interview with our online printed WAEC Result attached with a WAEC online scratch card result checker if the certificate is not available.

Thanks

Greetings! Glad to see you here.

Yes, the online printed WAEC result and scratch card will be fine, although you'll likely be asked why your certificate is unavailable. For what it's worth, I have no idea where my secondary school certificate is either. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 21, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Glad to see you here.

Yes, the online printed WAEC result and scratch card will be fine, although you'll likely be asked why your certificate is unavailable. For what it's worth, I have no idea where my secondary school certificate is either. smiley
THANK YOU MA and have a stress-free day.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:50am On Aug 21, 2014
qwerty12345: Hello,
I am USC sponsoring my wife CR1 type, I have domestic violence on my record from few years before I met my wife, misdemeanor, I paid my fee, took 2 years anger management classes. Is it going to have any influence on final decision when she goes for interview in her embassy ? I heard about this whole vawa thing, are we going to need to file a wavier ?

Good morning,

I'm glad you asked this question! The short answer is that in your case, no waiver will be needed, but I hope you've discussed this with your wife already.

Consular officers weigh the rights of U.S. citizens (you have the right for me NOT to tell the world about your criminal record) and the safety of our beneficiaries (we really don't want to send anyone into a dangerous situation). VAWA, the Violence Against Women Act, protects immigrants once they're in the U.S. -- if they become victims of domestic violence, they can leave their partners without fearing deportation. There is also the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act, which "requires, with respect to each I-129-F petition for K status, that USCIS provide to the Department, and the Department in turn disclose to the K1 or K3 applicant, all criminal background information submitted to USCIS by the petitioner and any related criminal conviction information that USCIS discovered in Government records or databases during its routine background check regarding any of the following:

(1) Crimes involving domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and neglect, dating violence, elder abuse, stalking, and any attempt to commit such crimes;

(2) Crimes involving homicide, murder, manslaughter, rape, abusive sexual contact, sexual exploitation, incest, torture, trafficking, peonage, holding hostage, involuntary servitude, slave trade, kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint, false imprisonment, or an attempt to commit any of these crimes;

(3) Crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol where the petitioner has been convicted on at least three occasions and where such crimes did not arise from a single act; and

(4) Information on any permanent protection or restraining order issued against the petitioner related to any specified crime."

You'll notice that IMBRA applies to fiance(e)s but not to spouses. That's because it was proposed as a law in response to two tragic cases of foreign women who were abused and murdered by the men who had filed K-1 visas for them. I honestly don't know why it doesn't also apply to spouses. When I have a spouse whose petitioner would fall under IMBRA if they weren't yet married, I tend to give a super-emphatic speech about VAWA and how it's okay to go to the police if they feel threatened and how people in this situation are protected by the law, not deported, etc.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Aug 21, 2014
StSteven:
THANK YOU MA and have a stress-free day.

Oh honey, it's already too late for that. grin But I do love my job!

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Aug 21, 2014
DUNIQUE1:

I understand that he has to disclose to the consular officer or interviewer the past false identity used to travel to the UK, but if he now gets a change of name and declare that, will the consular not say he is only doing that to claim the almost approved immigrant visa, he has never tried a us visa in the past so I am thinking if he just do the name change and get a new passport, he may just present the new passport to the US and get on with his life, please tell me if that isn't complicated too. And another question is that, isn't there any case in the past like that, wherby the immigrant changes his/her name to the name filed for him with the US, without problems arising.

We're pretty laid back about name changes as long as they are legal and not being done to hide a criminal history. If someone changes his name to make a break with a criminal past, that's fine, as long as they don't lie to us about the criminal past. In your friend's case we will be primarily interested in whether he has the claimed relationship with the petitioner; once that's established, we'll be interested in his previous identities and whether he has any ineligibilities. Please keep in mind that his fingerprints were very likely taken in the past, so it truly is in his best interest to just tell us.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:56am On Aug 21, 2014
vajayi: Hi visa officer,i was filed for when i was 20yrs,i am single,pls i just want to have an idea of when i am likely going to be called

Who filed for you? Is that a U.S. citizen or an LPR, and how are they related to you? If they were an LPR when they filed, did they become a citizen later?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:03am On Aug 21, 2014
Politico:
Hello VO,
1.Pls i'll like to ask how much time (days/weeks/months) does it take the embassy to schedule someone for an interview after the case's been completed at NVC.

2.Again if a father file for his children, are they all goin to av their interview together, considering thay av different case number. Or its goin to be conducted differently prolly not the same day?
Thanks for helping people from the hands of touts. God bless.

Good morning Politico,

To give you an idea of wait times once cases are documentarily complete at NVC: They've already scheduled September cases here, but I'm expecting them to ask us any day now if we can take more cases in October (which we can). So a case that is eligible (its priority date is before the cutoff date) and documentarily complete today, could be scheduled for an interview in October.

If a father files for his children and they're not all scheduled on the same day, we often receive requests to do all the interviews on the same day -- the earliest day. Those requests are always granted*. It's easier for the applicants and easier for us. smiley

*Okay, so if one of the children is married and over 21 (F3), and the rest are single and under 21 (IR2), we can't expedite the F3 because his case won't be current yet. But we'll happily see all the current cases on the same day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:04am On Aug 21, 2014
rexdon1: @visa Officer:
I have been on administrative processing for 24 working days and still no word.

What visa category are you applying for?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 21, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Oh honey, it's already too late for that. grin But I do love my job!

grin grin ... Well thanks for going through the stress for us. We do appreciate...
I pray for a divine Reward for you and the entire Embassy Crew!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DUNIQUE1: 9:37am On Aug 21, 2014
@ VO, thanks for your time once again, I will pass the message on and he should be fine with the advice you have given.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Spatz81: 11:21am On Aug 21, 2014
Hi VO, I stumbled on this forum and i thought it was a laudable initiative...well done.

However permit me to also tap into the benefit of a direct- from- source response from the US Consulate.
I applied for a student visa twice about 11 years ago to study in the US(to be sponsored by my late Uncle) but was unfortunately denied, couldnt fathom why actually. I very well moved on, got admission into a Naija university...I am married now, got a good job and i am happy.

My wife before we got married was issued a US visa(tourist) and did travel.....Interestingly, she is pregnant now and we both thought that it would not be bad to give birth to our child in the US...we are financially fit to bear all the cost. mostly by my wife cos she earns a lot more than I do..

My concern now is if this will not count against her future visa renewal cos the visa she has was for her to visit the US then...it is still valid though and we though we could use it for to go back and give birth. what would u advice.

My second concern is that i also intend to travel with her, unlike her i do not currently have a visa hence the need to apply...although i have had to travel to countries like South Africa, Turkey, Germany and other Schengen countries but given my refusal history at the US embassy...what are the chances that i may not have any difficulties? I also intend to state that my reason for the trip is to be with my wife as she gives birth...will it be a fair reason?

Thanks once again and God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:34am On Aug 21, 2014
Spatz81: Hi VO, I stumbled on this forum and i thought it was a laudable initiative...well done.

However permit me to also tap into the benefit of a direct- from- source response from the US Consulate.
I applied for a student visa twice about 11 years ago to study in the US(to be sponsored by my late Uncle) but was unfortunately denied, couldnt fathom why actually. I very well moved on, got admission into a Naija university...I am married now, got a good job and i am happy.

My wife before we got married was issued a US visa(tourist) and did travel.....Interestingly, she is pregnant now and we both thought that it would not be bad to give birth to our child in the US...we are financially fit to bear all the cost. mostly by my wife cos she earns a lot more than I do..

My concern now is if this will not count against her future visa renewal cos the visa she has was for her to visit the US then...it is still valid though and we though we could use it for to go back and give birth. what would u advice.

My second concern is that i also intend to travel with her, unlike her i do not currently have a visa hence the need to apply...although i have had to travel to countries like South Africa, Turkey, Germany and other Schengen countries but given my refusal history at the US embassy...what are the chances that i may not have any difficulties? I also intend to state that my reason for the trip is to be with my wife as she gives birth...will it be a fair reason?

Thanks once again and God bless.

Greetings and thank you for the kind words!

These are non-immigrant questions, so please allow me to refer you to my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 12:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
VisaOfficer:

What visa category are you applying for?

K1
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 12:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
rexdon1:

K1

CO asked that I do a drop off. Requested for CV. Submitted same day. Gave back passport to me but on a second thought took it back.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
rexdon1:

CO asked that I do a drop off. Requested for CV. Submitted same day. Gave back passport to me but on a second thought took it back.

Taking the passport back is a good sign -- it means the officer thought he or she would be issuing the visa soon. If you send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov with your case number and mention Nairaland, I'll check up on your administrative processing.

Note to other people: This does NOT mean you should all start mentioning Nairaland in your e-mails. They don't get forwarded to me; what happens is I'm going to keep an eye out for this particular e-mail until it shows up, and then I'll stop monitoring our e-mail account again, because that's someone else's job. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 12:33pm On Aug 21, 2014
Many Thanks VO. I just sent the email to Lagos IV. With the case number and NAIRALAND as subject of email.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:54pm On Aug 21, 2014
rexdon1: Many Thanks VO. I just sent the email to Lagos IV. With the case number and NAIRALAND as subject of email.

Following up - thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 1:25pm On Aug 21, 2014
Thanks VO for the discovery. I have just resent the document in a reply email to Lagos IV indicating case number and NAIRALAND.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jusugo92(m): 2:30pm On Aug 21, 2014
embarassedHelo Visa officer,
Thanks for your continous support to everyone on this forum.I am a K1 beneficiary who has been on admin processing since April 17.This morning a field officer paid me a visit insisting on seeing everywhere and he asking me questions.He went further by asking neighbours about my marital status.From your wealth of experience how soon do you think I would be called for my second interview??
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2014
jusugo92: embarassedHelo Visa officer,
Thanks for your continous support to everyone on this forum.I am a K1 beneficiary who has been on admin processing since April 17.This morning a field officer paid me a visit insisting on seeing everywhere and he asking me questions.He went further by asking neighbours about my marital status.From your wealth of experience how soon do you think I would be called for my second interview??

Very very soon! smiley If you're in Lagos, I'd say a week tops. If this is part of a site investigation trip far from Lagos, when the investigator returns he'll write up his reports in a couple of days and pass them on to me.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 2:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning Politico,

To give you an idea of wait times once cases are documentarily complete at NVC: They've already scheduled September cases here, but I'm expecting them to ask us any day now if we can take more cases in October (which we can). So a case that is eligible (its priority date is before the cutoff date) and documentarily complete today, could be scheduled for an interview in October.

If a father files for his children and they're not all scheduled on the same day, we often receive requests to do all the interviews on the same day -- the earliest day. Those requests are always granted*. It's easier for the applicants and easier for us. smiley

*Okay, so if one of the children is married and over 21 (F3), and the rest are single and under 21 (IR2), we can't expedite the F3 because his case won't be current yet. But we'll happily see all the current cases on the same day.

Thanks for ur prompt reply Super- VO

There's no case of F3 cos the petitioner is an LPR. But another question is some of the children have their own children now though they are not married to their spouses, I hope dat wont work againt them. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by diskindgod: 2:48pm On Aug 21, 2014
Dear VO,

Good afternoon and thanks for always being there at all times.

I was at the embassy today with my wife and son and was interviewed at Window 16.

I got married on Oct 15, 2011; applied for DV in Nov 2012 with my married status. I had a baby in May 2013, and submitted DSP forms for three of us in July 2013 after I discovered I won. But I was denied a visa this morning on the basis of inability to convince the CO on spousal bona fide relationship.

our spousal relationship is very genuine as we have been living together as husband and wife since our marriage, even a year before we thought of applying for the online visa lottery.

Pls I am still in a state of confusion.

Kind regards for your input on this issue as I am happily and legally married to my wife.

My three names initials are A. A. A. Scheduled for 7am appointment.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 3:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
@Visa Officer I just checked my status and it says ready what does this mean?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:11pm On Aug 21, 2014
rexdon1: @Visa Officer I just checked my status and it says ready what does this mean?

Check your e-mail for some happy news.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
Politico:

Thanks for ur prompt reply Super- VO

There's no case of F3 cos the petitioner is an LPR. But another question is some of the children have their own children now though they are not married to their spouses, I hope dat wont work againt them. Thanks.

It won't work against them, although it may lead the officer to ask extra questions about their marital status.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
diskindgod: Dear VO,

Good afternoon and thanks for always being there at all times.

I was at the embassy today with my wife and son and was interviewed at Window 16.

I got married on Oct 15, 2011; applied for DV in Nov 2012 with my married status. I had a baby in May 2013, and submitted DSP forms for three of us in July 2013 after I discovered I won. But I was denied a visa this morning on the basis of inability to convince the CO on spousal bona fide relationship.

our spousal relationship is very genuine as we have been living together as husband and wife since our marriage, even a year before we thought of applying for the online visa lottery.

Pls I am still in a state of confusion.

Kind regards for your input on this issue as I am happily and legally married to my wife.

My three names initials are A. A. A. Scheduled for 7am appointment.

Thank you.

Unfortunately it seems that there were serious discrepancies in the answers given in the two separate interviews, which led the officer to conclude that the relationship is not bona fide. Applicants have one opportunity to convince the officer that they are qualified and in a bona fide spousal relationship; if they cannot do so, unfortunately, they have lost their opportunity to receive 2014 Diversity Visas. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:23pm On Aug 21, 2014
[double post, sorry]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 3:43pm On Aug 21, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Check your e-mail for some happy news.

Dear Visa Officer,

I can't thank you enough. I'm grateful for the prompt response.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jusugo92(m): 3:46pm On Aug 21, 2014
[quote author=VisaOfficer]

Very very soon! smiley If you're in Lagos, I'd say a week tops. If this is part of a site investigation trip far from Lagos, when the investigator returns he'll write up his reports in a couple of days and pass them on to me. [/quote
Yes sure I am living in the heart of lagos,would I be required to do new medicals?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:48pm On Aug 21, 2014
rexdon1:

Dear Visa Officer,

I can't thank you enough. I'm grateful for the prompt response.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for following up. Sometimes you have to kick the computer to get it to move forward.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:57pm On Aug 21, 2014
jusugo92: Yes sure I am living in the heart of lagos,would I be required to do new medicals?

We'll let you know. (I need to read the site visit report [when I get it] and review your file...)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.