Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679265 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 8:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
Good day V.O
Please i have a question ma, how long can one stay in the USA as a legal permanent resident before filing for a spouse?
I want to know if it is after naturalization that is after 5years. Thanks for your timed response.
On a lighter mood i arrived chicago 2 fridays ago with my daughter, no problem @ all at POE.
Thanks ma'am.God bless you.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nkkystel(f): 10:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dear V.O! Please I read on Visajourney, people saying their spouses got B2 visa after their cases (F2a) got completed at NVC while waiting for interview. How true is this and is it applicable here in Nigeria.
Thank you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ndeedee: 12:16am On Sep 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If you've lived in Nigeria for more than a year after your 16th birthday, you'll need a police certificate from Nigeria. You won't need a police certificate from the U.S. unless you've been arrested there... although in that case, it will show up in our records anyway. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html has more information about police certificates and other documents.

Don't worry about it. If your wife is the primary applicant / Diversity Visa winner, you won't need to show your own academic credentials at all.

Personally I *think* you should be okay with your old registration of birth. Just explain to the officer how long you've been in Poland, etc. etc. If the officer wants anything additional, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But it really sounds to me like you're in great shape and shouldn't have much trouble! Let us know what happens!

p.s. And congratulations on your marriage and baby! Too exciting! cheesy

I've never been arrested ever in my life in Nigeria, Poland, The USA or in the other places I've been.
I'll read up in the forum on what kind of Police Certificate I need and get a member of my family in Nigeria to help me get and send the Police Certificate from Nigeria and maybe with the new Birth certificate or statement or Affidavit, whichever they can lay their hands on.....for the sake of having everything they might require in Warsaw.

Also I don't know if we were wrong to have filled out "Other document" in the travel document section of the DS 260 for our son, because he's 9 weeks old now and as at when we finally had the chance to settle down and send our DS 260s, we had just got some other documents to establish his identity. I'm hoping we can have his passport ready before our interview which might come up in March 2015 (EU 185XX).

Oh and on the vaccination thing, I really don't know which shots I got in Nigeria and which ones I would need to get when we go for the medicals. I'll read the forum and see if I can get hints on how many and which ones I can expect to get.

Thanks... It is really too exciting... Mama Obi and Baby Obi make me feel like I am in 7th heaven. I just pray for this DV thing to favor us and it will be 7th heaven part two for me. grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stdammis(m): 1:46am On Sep 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Looks like the imposter and the fake wife chickened out.

If the real Kolade can get in here soon I'm willing to go ahead and interview him. Please have him e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov. He'll need his panel physician papers etc. -- but if he can pull it all together fast, we'll see if he qualifies.

(I take it he's not really married...?) smiley

Wow! Really? I will tell him that right away! Thanks much ma'am!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stdammis(m): 1:53am On Sep 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Looks like the imposter and the fake wife chickened out.

If the real Kolade can get in here soon I'm willing to go ahead and interview him. Please have him e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov. He'll need his panel physician papers etc. -- but if he can pull it all together fast, we'll see if he qualifies.

(I take it he's not really married...?) smiley

And no! He isnt married, hes my course mate, told him already, am sure thats gona be the best news of his life......thanks again ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stdammis(m): 1:56am On Sep 12, 2014
ferdimako:
Good one! How would people agree to go for an interview when the eDV never had their photographs? My brother told me a guy came to Germany embassy without booking for an appointment. Just came with his own print-out. Computer age is messing Nigerians up!

Where is stdammis?

Right here bro
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Sep 12, 2014
Nazgul: Good afternoon Sir VisaOfficer, I have been a guest on this site for a while reading your posts and seeing how you're helping people. Sir I registered because I have a question I want you to help me with.

My question goes thus, I am an undergraduate in one of the tertiary institutions here in Nigeria, my elder brothers (2) are american citizens who have been in huston texas for about 10 years. I and My dad want to pay them a visit, since we are on long vacation to resume November.

My brother wants to send an invitation letter for the both of us (myself and my dad) for a 2weeks visit.

Please what are my chances of getting the visa?
I'm a student, I have my JAMB admission letter, my university identity card, my school fees payment receipt, and a letter of introduction from my department.

Please is there any other thing I would need, and what are my chances of getting this visa.

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you Sir.

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . But they're going to tell you that we don't estimate people's chances of obtaining visas. There are too many factors involved to hazard a guess based solely on what you've written here.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Sep 12, 2014
thesewa: Good Day VO,
I am pregnant and want to travel to US for my baby delivery.
I av gotten the hospital I want to use in US and av gotten the doctor’s appointment and their bills sent to me.av also gotten all the neccessary document to take to the embassy but where the problem is,that I applied last month wit my husband and my daughter that we were going for vacation,which we were denied based on not having a strong tie to our country.when we applied then I stated dat am not employed at d moment but now I want to apply alone on the ground that I want to go and av my baby ,but I want to state it that am doing business which is selling of cloth but I don't have a shop.thou is my husband that is sponsoring the trip but I have my own statement which I will be attaching to it to show I av monthly income dat goes into the account.pls I need ur advise urgently before I submit the form. I stated in the previous application that I am housewife but with Master Degree & attending French Class. Should I state that I am doing business from my house without shop and registration with Government.so what should I choose as my primary occupation

Thank you

Good morning,

This is also a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Sep 12, 2014
Bubu01: Thank you so much VO. I receive a call from the embassy and i was told to bring my Passport and new medical! Oh Ma, we are so grateful and i pray the lord put smile on your face as you've done to us today.
Thank you

Glad we could help! But for the record, the case naturally crossed my desk yesterday, independently of your question here. It just takes a while for all the processing to be completed. I'm glad there was a good outcome for you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:01am On Sep 12, 2014
ferdimako:
Good one! How would people agree to go for an interview when the eDV never had their photographs? My brother told me a guy came to Germany embassy without booking for an appointment. Just came with his own print-out. Computer age is messing Nigerians up!

Where is stdammis?

Well, someone's photo was submitted with the original entry. If it's not the same Kolade as the Kolade stdammis knows, stdammis's Kolade is going to have a rough day. smiley

That's the thing with imposter cases... we can see the original entry photo... I don't know why imposters don't realize that we have ways of comparing the original with the person who shows up. Sometimes there's no resemblance at all, aside from the fact that both people are recognizably human with two eyes and one nose and so on. Remember, the agents don't care if you get a visa or not -- they just want your money!

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:09am On Sep 12, 2014
AREOLA: Good day V.O
Please i have a question ma, how long can one stay in the USA as a legal permanent resident before filing for a spouse?
I want to know if it is after naturalization that is after 5years. Thanks for your timed response.
On a lighter mood i arrived chicago 2 fridays ago with my daughter, no problem @ all at POE.
Thanks ma'am.God bless you.

Awesome, welcome to Chicago! I love the Midwest.

You can file for your spouse as a Legal Permanent Resident -- you don't have to naturalize, or wait a certain period of time. You don't even have to wait until you've received your "green card":

If you are a permanent resident, you must file your petition with a copy of the front and back of your permanent resident card. If you have not yet received your card, submit copies of your passport biographic page and the page showing admission as a permanent resident, or other evidence of permanent resident status issued by USCIS or the former INS.

I really hope to see your spouse here soon!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:10am On Sep 12, 2014
nkkystel: Dear V.O! Please I read on Visajourney, people saying their spouses got B2 visa after their cases (F2a) got completed at NVC while waiting for interview. How true is this and is it applicable here in Nigeria.
Thank you!

It can happen. It's more difficult to get a non-immigrant visa while an immigrant petition is pending, but it's not impossible.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:11am On Sep 12, 2014
Ndeedee:
I've never been arrested ever in my life in Nigeria, Poland, The USA or in the other places I've been.
I'll read up in the forum on what kind of Police Certificate I need and get a member of my family in Nigeria to help me get and send the Police Certificate from Nigeria and maybe with the new Birth certificate or statement or Affidavit, whichever they can lay their hands on.....for the sake of having everything they might require in Warsaw.

Also I don't know if we were wrong to have filled out "Other document" in the travel document section of the DS 260 for our son, because he's 9 weeks old now and as at when we finally had the chance to settle down and send our DS 260s, we had just got some other documents to establish his identity. I'm hoping we can have his passport ready before our interview which might come up in March 2015 (EU 185XX).

Oh and on the vaccination thing, I really don't know which shots I got in Nigeria and which ones I would need to get when we go for the medicals. I'll read the forum and see if I can get hints on how many and which ones I can expect to get.

Thanks... It is really too exciting... Mama Obi and Baby Obi make me feel like I am in 7th heaven. I just pray for this DV thing to favor us and it will be 7th heaven part two for me. grin

Don't worry too much... if you can't prove you've had all the vaccinations, you can always get them again... there are very few problems that can't be fixed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Well, someone's photo was submitted with the original entry. If it's not the same Kolade as the Kolade stdammis knows, stdammis's Kolade is going to have a rough day. smiley

That's the thing with imposter cases... we can see the original entry photo... I don't know why imposters don't realize that we have ways of comparing the original with the person who shows up. Sometimes there's no resemblance at all, aside from the fact that both people are recognizably human with two eyes and one nose and so on. Remember, the agents don't care if you get a visa or not -- they just want your money!
The imposters are brainwashed by the rogue agents. Imposters have no idea what happened at the beginning, they may have never heard or participated in the program. Rogue agents smile to the Bank, do you arrest them too?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:44am On Sep 12, 2014
ferdimako:
The imposters are brainwashed by the rogue agents. Imposters have no idea what happened at the beginning, they may have never heard or participated in the program. Rogue agents smile to the Bank, do you arrest them too?

I personally don't arrest anyone. smiley But one of the reasons for the Nigerian police's intense interest in our imposters is that they want to identify and arrest rogue agents and counterfeiters.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nkkystel(f): 9:51am On Sep 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

It can happen. It's more difficult to get a non-immigrant visa while an immigrant petition is pending, but it's not impossible.

Thank you Visa Officer.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stdammis(m): 1:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I hope its his photo too o.....I got the message across to him, it feels so good to be the bearer of the message that rekindles hope........like ferdimako as said, he needs 10days a week! Lol, I just hope he would meet up

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by modi1988: 2:50pm On Sep 12, 2014
Hello Sir,

I have a query regarding me applying for visitor's visas soon,
I had applied for F-1(twice)(BBA) & got rejected and then again applied for Visitor Visa got (rejected),(I was single)Year was around 2009
and now i would be again applying for visas in this year end with my family( i have got married on 7th December 2012) as visitor's visa, i have my brother staying there studying and working, what are the chances for me getting visas sir?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jusugo92(m): 8:38am On Sep 13, 2014
Hello Visa officer,
Thanks once more for ur continous assistance.Over 3 weeks ago a field officer visited my family house Unannouced.I asked u then for the time frame on when I would be called for my 2nd appointment and you said,a week atop.Sadly enough,have not heard anything yet.Plese this waiting period is a big dilema for Us.When do think the waiting period would be over?I and my fiance can't wait to kick start our lives. embarassed
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bamakoe(f): 9:18am On Sep 13, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

It probably would be quicker for one of your parents to immigrate and then, after naturalization, to file petitions for the rest of you. I say "after naturalization" because Legal Permanent Residents can't file for married children -- only for unmarried children.

Hi Visa Officer,
I stand to be corrected on this but isn't it a longer wait if after filing for the parents (which takes around 5 years) to naturalize, then the parent filing for the married children ( I believe this is family preference category F3), with a current wait time of 11 years. So a total of 16 years as against a current wait time of 12 years in total if the brother/sister (sibling) files now

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 13, 2014
Hello VO. Got some questions for you.

- What is the wait time for an immigrant petition filed by a US citizen child for a parent?

- What is the wait time for a petition filed by a permanent resident parent for an un-married child below 21years? Above 21years? And for a married child?

- What is the wait time for a petition filed by a US citizen parent for an un-married child below 21years? Above 21years? And for a married child?

- Are there any conditions that have to be met by these petitioners in these different scenerios?

Just want to get some closure as to how these different scenerios play out.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Fyne: 11:12am On Sep 13, 2014
Best Regards Visa Officer,
I was given a b1/b2 visa sometime in 2012 to visit my relatives as well as business related ventures, I arrived US ending of the year about December and was to stay for about 2 weeks and return back to have my baby as i was pregnant with expected date of delivery good two months later.
Unfortunately, i went into a condition called premature rupture of Membranes (PPROM) while shopping at Best Buy smiley and had to seek quick advice from friends and doctors, I had my medical reports forwarded, chose a near enough hospital running a birth package, had my baby and did not accept any medical aid, paid all my bills till I was given a $0 balance by the hospital.
I came back as soon as I could with my baby. Just a few weeks spent in US. This action was not premeditated as can be seen that my other kids are all Nigerian citizens only, despite having even travelled abroad once and returned in July to have my second child born in Nigeria in August.
Now I want to visit US still on b1/b2 visa, to visit my relatives and for business and yes, I am through with baby making smiley. I have filled the DS160 application and I am told I qualify for drop box and have even been given a confirmation although I had said No to drop box. I have been informed to send birth certificates for all my kids of which it will be obvious my last was born in US. I do not like this alternative as I cannot present evidence of my paid bills and explanations. I have heard nigerian ladies exploit the system put in place by the US Govt thus leading to future visa denials.
How can I get a regular appointment interview? Because with a drop box how do I prove my case?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AbusM(m): 3:10pm On Sep 13, 2014
Good after officer. my boss at work is to attend a security conference from 28th of this month and his invitation letter came in last week. The challenge is that there is no available date this month and he has tried the expedited option already which was not granted according to him. is there something you could do sur for him to find an interview appointment sate be for the commencement of the conference.

its important to his career I can assure you. kind respond to this asking sir.

Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sunshineendles: 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2014
Hello VO, please. Kindly help with this question I work in my dads company with a salary and i pay tax which i have clearance for, on the other hand i also work as a program officer with an NGO that pays me salary but i don't have tax clearance. This NGO wants to send me to represent them in the upcoming IMF anual meeting in U.S.do you think i can use my tax clearance of My Dads company
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ajsegun2: 5:26pm On Sep 14, 2014
Hi, Am a US citizen, petitioning for my mother for an immigrant visa. Her interview date is oct 2014, What are the documents i need to send to my mother to take to embassy in lagos ? Since I've already sent the original and certified copy of all civil documents to NVC. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:10am On Sep 15, 2014
...pending updated information...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Sep 15, 2014
modi1988: Hello Sir,

I have a query regarding me applying for visitor's visas soon,
I had applied for F-1(twice)(BBA) & got rejected and then again applied for Visitor Visa got (rejected),(I was single)Year was around 2009
and now i would be again applying for visas in this year end with my family( i have got married on 7th December 2012) as visitor's visa, i have my brother staying there studying and working, what are the chances for me getting visas sir?

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . But I can tell you that we don't estimate chances. There are too many factors involved in a visa decision to hazard a guess based on what people write in this forum.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:15am On Sep 15, 2014
jusugo92: Hello Visa officer,
Thanks once more for ur continous assistance.Over 3 weeks ago a field officer visited my family house Unannouced.I asked u then for the time frame on when I would be called for my 2nd appointment and you said,a week atop.Sadly enough,have not heard anything yet.Plese this waiting period is a big dilema for Us.When do think the waiting period would be over?I and my fiance can't wait to kick start our lives. embarassed

Greetings! Every case is different and there may be more going on with you case than is evident from what you've writtten here. I just handed off a big stack of site investigation cases, so maybe you'll hear from us this week? But I don't know which case is yours, so I'm not sure what to tell you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:17am On Sep 15, 2014
bamakoe:

Hi Visa Officer,
I stand to be corrected on this but isn't it a longer wait if after filing for the parents (which takes around 5 years) to naturalize, then the parent filing for the married children ( I believe this is family preference category F3), with a current wait time of 11 years. So a total of 16 years as against a current wait time of 12 years in total if the brother/sister (sibling) files now

Hmm you're right. I was thinking about it in terms of the waiting period between filing and interviewing, but your perspective of when the person can file is much more useful.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:20am On Sep 15, 2014
Phema: Hello VO. Got some questions for you.

- What is the wait time for an immigrant petition filed by a US citizen child for a parent?

- What is the wait time for a petition filed by a permanent resident parent for an un-married child below 21years? Above 21years? And for a married child?

- What is the wait time for a petition filed by a US citizen parent for an un-married child below 21years? Above 21years? And for a married child?

- Are there any conditions that have to be met by these petitioners in these different scenerios?

Just want to get some closure as to how these different scenerios play out.

The best way to understand wait times is to become familiar with our Visa Bulletin, which can be accessed at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html . It answers all the questions you've just asked. Take a look at the screenshot below (from this month's Bulletin)...

BTW, there is no wait time at all for Immediate Relative (IR) cases -- spouses, parents, unmarried children under 21 with U.S. citizen petitioners. As soon as the cases are documentarily complete at NVC, they can be scheduled for their appointments here.

The conditions that petitioners must meet is that they must be either Legal Permanent Residents or U.S. citizens, and they must be able to show that they have a qualifying relationship with the beneficiary.

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.