Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,458 members, 7,954,794 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:33 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (689758 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:21am On Sep 15, 2014
Fyne: Best Regards Visa Officer,
I was given a b1/b2 visa sometime in 2012 to visit my relatives as well as business related ventures, I arrived US ending of the year about December and was to stay for about 2 weeks and return back to have my baby as i was pregnant with expected date of delivery good two months later.
Unfortunately, i went into a condition called premature rupture of Membranes (PPROM) while shopping at Best Buy smiley and had to seek quick advice from friends and doctors, I had my medical reports forwarded, chose a near enough hospital running a birth package, had my baby and did not accept any medical aid, paid all my bills till I was given a $0 balance by the hospital.
I came back as soon as I could with my baby. Just a few weeks spent in US. This action was not premeditated as can be seen that my other kids are all Nigerian citizens only, despite having even travelled abroad once and returned in July to have my second child born in Nigeria in August.
Now I want to visit US still on b1/b2 visa, to visit my relatives and for business and yes, I am through with baby making smiley. I have filled the DS160 application and I am told I qualify for drop box and have even been given a confirmation although I had said No to drop box. I have been informed to send birth certificates for all my kids of which it will be obvious my last was born in US. I do not like this alternative as I cannot present evidence of my paid bills and explanations. I have heard nigerian ladies exploit the system put in place by the US Govt thus leading to future visa denials.
How can I get a regular appointment interview? Because with a drop box how do I prove my case?

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:21am On Sep 15, 2014
AbusM: Good after officer. my boss at work is to attend a security conference from 28th of this month and his invitation letter came in last week. The challenge is that there is no available date this month and he has tried the expedited option already which was not granted according to him. is there something you could do sur for him to find an interview appointment sate be for the commencement of the conference.

its important to his career I can assure you. kind respond to this asking sir.

Regards

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . But it does sound like it won't be possible to see him this month.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:22am On Sep 15, 2014
sunshineendles: Hello VO, please. Kindly help with this question I work in my dads company with a salary and i pay tax which i have clearance for, on the other hand i also work as a program officer with an NGO that pays me salary but i don't have tax clearance. This NGO wants to send me to represent them in the upcoming IMF anual meeting in U.S.do you think i can use my tax clearance of My Dads company

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . (It's not that I'm too lazy to answer; I honestly don't know.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:25am On Sep 15, 2014
ajsegun2: Hi, Am a US citizen, petitioning for my mother for an immigrant visa. Her interview date is oct 2014, What are the documents i need to send to my mother to take to embassy in lagos ? Since I've already sent the original and certified copy of all civil documents to NVC. Thanks

Your mother should bring her birth certificate, medical report, and police certificate. You may want to review http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html -- but some of the links have been deactivated while we update the forms. They should be back online soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jusugo92(m): 8:17am On Sep 15, 2014
[quote author=VisaOfficer]

Greetings! Every case is different and there may be more going on with you case than is evident from what you've writtten here. I just handed off a big stack of site investigation cases, so maybe you'll hear from us this week? But I don't know which case is yours, so I'm not sure what to tell you.[/quote)
Thanks once more for your response.Should I write down my case no,so that you can actually check what's wrong??Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:12am On Sep 15, 2014
jusugo92: Thanks once more for your response.Should I write down my case no,so that you can actually check what's wrong??Thanks

If you're comfortable doing that, sure!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olabowalebiyi: 9:27am On Sep 15, 2014

Congratulations!

Quick, send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov and let us know you need to include a newborn. How fast can you get a passport and DS-2054? If you absolutely can't get a passport in time, let us know now, and we'll see if we can issue a baby transportation letter instead. Whatever you do, don't travel to the U.S. before we get your son squared away!

Morning dear VO. We sent in an email to your office as directed and we got a response that we should wait patiently that they will get back to US. Just want to know if the waiting won't be too long and again you asked if we can get him a passport...Yes we can get him a passport before the week runs out and I'm sure we can get DS 2054 form from your web. Pls kindly help US with the information needed and the time frame. Thanks so much ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jusugo92(m): 9:27am On Sep 15, 2014
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:00am On Sep 15, 2014
olabowalebiyi: Morning dear VO. We sent in an email to your office as directed and we got a response that we should wait patiently that they will get back to US. Just want to know if the waiting won't be too long and again you asked if we can get him a passport...Yes we can get him a passport before the week runs out and I'm sure we can get DS 2054 form from your web. Pls kindly help US with the information needed and the time frame. Thanks so much ma.

I just reminded my staff not to let you fall through the cracks. Please do get the passport and medical report a.s.a.p. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:40am On Sep 15, 2014
jusugo92:
Sure,I don't have anything to hide Ank2013817013.Its a transfered case.Thanks a lot.

I hear that the report is being finalized and should make its way to my messy desk very soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bamakoe(f): 6:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
bamakoe:

Hi Visa Officer,
I stand to be corrected on this but isn't it a longer wait if after filing for the parents (which takes around 5 years) to naturalize, then the parent filing for the married children ( I believe this is family preference category F3), with a current wait time of 11 years. So a total of 16 years as against a current wait time of 12 years in total if the brother/sister (sibling) files now

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bamakoe(f): 6:49pm On Sep 15, 2014
bamakoe:

Hi Visa Officer,
I stand to be corrected on this but isn't it a longer wait if after filing for the parents (which takes around 5 years) to naturalize, then the parent filing for the married children ( I believe this is family preference category F3), with a current wait time of 11 years. So a total of 16 years as against a current wait time of 12 years in total if the brother/sister (sibling) files now

Thanks for clarification

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bodescous: 8:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
Hi the indefatigable VO..Thanks for your invaluable advice you give here..I have a disturbing issues pertaining my wife filing for spouse visa for me.We tighted the nuptial knot last year in Nigeria.She has changed her SSN to my name, and on the verge of changing her green card to my name,she lost her wallet which comprises of some of her document and the green card..
Now, what do you think can be done?Can she start the spouse filing now while she is still in the process of obtaining another green card or she should wait till the new card arrives?

N.B=We have two kids together..One an american citizen while the older son is with me here in Nigeria..
Your prompt and explicit explanation would be highly appreciated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Sep 16, 2014
bodescous: Hi the indefatigable VO..Thanks for your invaluable advice you give here..I have a disturbing issues pertaining my wife filing for spouse visa for me.We tighted the nuptial knot last year in Nigeria.She has changed her SSN to my name, and on the verge of changing her green card to my name,she lost her wallet which comprises of some of her document and the green card..
Now, what do you think can be done?Can she start the spouse filing now while she is still in the process of obtaining another green card or she should wait till the new card arrives?

N.B=We have two kids together..One an american citizen while the older son is with me here in Nigeria..
Your prompt and explicit explanation would be highly appreciated.

As far as I know she can go ahead and file even though she doesn't currently have her LPR card. The I-130 instructions say:

If you are a permanent resident, you must file your petition with a copy of the front and back of your permanent resident card. If you have not yet received your card, submit copies of your passport biographic page and the page showing admission as a permanent resident, or other evidence of permanent resident status issued by USCIS or the former INS.

If she submits those copies, and maybe a letter explaining what happened to her card, I think she should be all right.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bodescous: 7:50am On Sep 16, 2014
Thanks the amiable VO..I think this will work..

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Geeky(f): 7:58am On Sep 16, 2014
Good morning VO. Please i need some advice. My fiancee petition might be sent by NVC soon. I come from a family where I am at least required to have an introduction ceremony, where he gets to meet all family members as my husband to be. More like an engagement.Very quiet and minimal. Will that be seen as marriage or a red flag please? My family is very traditional. Please what can i do about it?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:07am On Sep 16, 2014
Geeky: Good morning VO. Please i need some advice. My fiancee petition might be sent by NVC soon. I come from a family where I am at least required to have an introduction ceremony, where he gets to meet all family members as my husband to be. Very quiet and minimal. Will that be seen as marriage or a red flag please? My family is very traditional. Please what can i do about it?

This is an area where Nigerian law and U.S. law don't dovetail neatly. Traditional marriages in Nigeria do count as marriages and make people ineligible for K visas -- and if your fiance gives the bride price, that's a marriage under customary law. But because such marriages are often undocumented, the Nigerian spouse can't benefit from the IR1 or CR1 petition, because there's no piece of paper to submit to NVC. So people who have had traditional or customary marriages, but not a registry or religious marriage*, are stuck, unable to get either a fiance or a spouse visa.

The obvious solution is to go ahead and do the registry marriage in Nigeria, then apply for a spouse petition. The only reason that takes longer than a fiance petition is that you can file a fiance petition any time, but you can't file a spouse petition until after the marriage.

We do like to hear that people have met each other's parents... but if we know you've had an introduction ceremony, we'll be very curious about whether it was actually a traditional marriage, or just an introduction. Whatever the case, tell the truth, and you'll end up with the visa you qualify for.

(* Religious marriages are recognized for spouse petitions if there's a certificate from an established religious institution involved.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Geeky(f): 8:18am On Sep 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your swift reply VO. I haven't had it yet. And no bride price will be payed. It's more like him coming to openly seek permission to marry me officially. Would that be a red flag at POE? Because I'm the last girl my family has some sentimentality attached to knowing who I'm moving to the ends of the earth with.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:58am On Sep 16, 2014
Geeky: Thank you so much for your swift reply VO. I haven't had it yet. And no bride price will be payed. It's more like him coming to openly seek permission to marry me officially. Would that be a red flag at POE? Because I'm the last girl my family has some sentimentality attached to knowing who I'm moving to the ends of the earth with.

It won't raise a red flag at POE, but the visa officer will have a lot of questions for you. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Geeky(f): 9:40am On Sep 16, 2014
Thanks VO.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by buster(m): 10:14am On Sep 16, 2014
Good day everyone. I am new to this thread and I need advise. I intend travelling to the USA for a medical conference in Georgia. A well known multi national hospital in India is willing to cover all expenses including flight ticket, hotel and all other expenses. I have a letter from the hospital stating they would cover the expense. But am a little bit worried because they didn't give me their statement of account. Is the statement of account needed at the embassy or would the embassy confirm themselves. And also do I need to present my own statement of account even if am not the one paying for the trip
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:47am On Sep 16, 2014
buster: Good day everyone. I am new to this thread and I need advise. I intend travelling to the USA for a medical conference in Georgia. A well known multi national hospital in India is willing to cover all expenses including flight ticket, hotel and all other expenses. I have a letter from the hospital stating they would cover the expense. But am a little bit worried because they didn't give me their statement of account. Is the statement of account needed at the embassy or would the embassy confirm themselves. And also do I need to present my own statement of account even if am not the one paying for the trip

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening -- but they generally don't give advice about specific cases.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by reeq(m): 11:00am On Sep 16, 2014
Greetings VO..
Have a few questions
(1) Having a Court Wedding in Nigeria(fiance visa) does it raise a RED Flag or is it violation of the rules not forgetful of the fact well that I still have to marry in the u.s within 90days.
(2)If its okay, intend having a very private n family low key Court wedding immediateLy after interview just basically so ma nuclear family can be part of it since not all of them can be part of the u.s wedding,,just wanted to make sure am in order so I know if I GO ahead or not.
I hope am inline and not asking too much..
Thanks for your understanding..#Blessed
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sisitodun: 11:01am On Sep 16, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I just heard from NVC: They've completed October scheduling. So, the next available appointments will be in November.
Good morning, our ever radiant V.O.
Sisitodun is here to bother you again.
I heard from NVC that there are no more available interview dates in October, just as you said. embarassed
I want to ask if it is okay to use my valid B1 / B2 to travel in October to sit for my licensing exam. I've been preparing for the exam for a long time, and I want to get it over with.
I hope it will not pose any problems at the POE as I would be in the US for just 2 weeks. I have so much at stake and would not overstay or violate any law.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 16, 2014
I was asked to provide a dna evidence with my father after my first interview,it came out negative and i was invited for a follow up interview and dey informed me about the negative result and and den gave me anoda letter to provide another dna with my mother,which i have already done ,and result has already been sent to the embassy,if this ones comes out positive does it mean i will get my visa.just curious
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:31am On Sep 16, 2014
tobiloba05: I was asked to provide a dna evidence with my father after my first interview,it came out negative and i was invited for a follow up interview and dey informed me about the negative result and and den gave me anoda letter to provide another dna with my mother,which i have already done ,and result has already been sent to the embassy,if this ones comes out positive does it mean i will get my visa.just curious
Thanks

Who is the petitioner in this case? And were your father and mother ever married to each other?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 16, 2014
My father is the petitioner and they were married to eachother
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:47am On Sep 16, 2014
tobiloba05: My father is the petitioner and they were married to eachother

If you're a DNA match with your mother, and can prove that your parents were married to each other, you may still be able to qualify as a stepchild. This sounds like something we should discuss in person when the DNA results with your mother come in, though.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:50am On Sep 16, 2014
sisitodun:
Good morning, our ever radiant V.O.
Sisitodun is here to bother you again.
I heard from NVC that there are no more available interview dates in October, just as you said. embarassed
I want to ask if it is okay to use my valid B1 / B2 to travel in October to sit for my licensing exam. I've been preparing for the exam for a long time, and I want to get it over with.
I hope it will not pose any problems at the POE as I would be in the US for just 2 weeks. I have so much at stake and would not overstay or violate any law.

Greetings friend,

Never a bother. smiley

If you have a valid B1/B2 you might as well use it! Just be prepared to show your return ticket to Nigeria. And best of luck on your exam!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 16, 2014
Thanks ,
I'm new here,how do we discuss in person
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:12pm On Sep 16, 2014
tobiloba05: Thanks ,
I'm new here,how do we discuss in person

When you come to your interview, you can discuss your case with a Consular officer. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
@visaofficer

My sister inlaw will be getting married to a fiancé this coming December in Nigeria. She is Australian and he is American. If she files immediately after marriage, approx. how long will it take before she is granted her spousal visa?

Also while her application is in Progress can she still visit America on her Australian passport or she has to wait until her visa is granted before visiting?

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (223)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.