Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,759 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along (306186 Views)

Free DIY Handfans, Wire works, Bead works, Ankara bangles e.t.c Tutorials / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 2:20am On Oct 31, 2014
iclass:

well done arakulture! could you pleasde post a pix of how to place the pattern clockwise to manage fabric?

Attached is an image of what @arakulture means about placing the pattern. Pls note that after cutting out the 1st panel, she wants you to get another fold before placing the pattern the opposite way.

When trying to layout the pattern to "manage fabric" pls pay attention to the design on the fabric. With some fabric design, you cannot flip the pattern (pattern: top to bottom) otherwise some panels will be in one direction and other panels will be in the opposite direction. For example making a velvet six piece skirt (even a plain velvet) the pattern cannot be flipped (has to be pattern: top to top) because when you run your hand over velvet fabric, the "color" or "sheen" changes.

HTH

2 Likes

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 10:05am On Oct 31, 2014
now i get it. thanks

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 01, 2014
Thx @ bimbam...we are all here to help each other.

So peeps send in Ur projects oooo so we can move on
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by noncy21: 9:03am On Nov 01, 2014
My pattern. Yet to get my fabric ma. Tnx

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2014
@noncy21: nice pattern, but a suggestion - where the flare begins, try and make it a smoother curve...this will make it easier for you sew and the bottom of your skirt will flow much better. .
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by noncy21: 12:48pm On Nov 01, 2014
bimbam:

@noncy21: nice pattern, but a suggestion - where the flare begins, try and make it a smoother curve...this will make it easier for you sew and the bottom of your skirt will flow much better. .
. Ok. Correction taken. Tnx ma.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by ccaramel(f): 12:48am On Nov 02, 2014
arakulture:
After cutting our paper...18 inches by Ur skirt length.

Fold Ur paper into 2 cos we will measuring on fold. Lay Ur paper in a landscape and start Ur measurement from the top right corner....using Ur hip measurement divide Ur hip into 6 dats number of pieces u are making, add 0.5inch to Wat to get e.g. 40÷6 +0.5.....measure whatever u get for Ur waist, hip (you can also use yr waist measurement for Ur waist by dividing it into 6, I like to use my hip for both waist and hip and shape out after joining cos most ladies have tummy and might need room later)

Now measure Ur waist to kneel, Mark the deduct 2 inches from Ur hip and divide into 6 then add 0.5 inches to it e.g. 40-2=38 ÷6=6.3 +0.5 = mark Ur answer.

Read through and let me know if u understand d math then will send pics later.

You need to write down d process and understand.

Confused much!
Why are we deducting 2 inches from the hip measurement?
Shouldn't the result be divided into 2 since we are folding the paper? I.e waist/6 + 0.5 then divide by 2 since we are cutting on fold? Someone explain pls. Technically pattern should be divided by 12 if cut on fold. Or else you will get double waist/hip measurement.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 02, 2014
Well said @bimbam. @ noncy21 try not to make d curve very deep though cos for beginners it's a bit tricky to get curves steady.

@ccramel

D 2inches that been deducted from d hip is meant for shaping of d kneel, have u seen 6pcs skirt on people and it looks like d kneel area is fitted and it looks like a mermaid kind of? Well dats d effect d deduction will create.

Let me explain with my measurement.

Hip is 40
Kneel = hips - 2 = 38 + 0.5 allowance ÷ 6pcs

Hope it's clear?

I promise to do better next time with explanation on Internet, it's easier wen u are teaching one-on-one. @bimbam help me here dear.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by ccaramel(f): 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2014
It is hip, knees, waist/12 if cutting the pattern on fold. Just made my skirt. I used the instruction below though as I was confused a bit. Thanks! Ps: this is for elastic or rope waist. Shape waist if zip to be used.

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by beefash24: 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
@ ccaramel,plz from wch book did u get this illustration from?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by ccaramel(f): 8:14pm On Nov 03, 2014
beefash24:
@ ccaramel,plz from wch book did u get this illustration from?

The website is there in the instruction. Not a book.
http://helentea.com/2013/08/diy-paneled-mermaid-skirt-tutorial-part-1-pattern-making/
I just googled when I was stuck cutting the pattern.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 2:14pm On Nov 04, 2014
ccaramel:

Confused much!
Shouldn't the result be divided into 2 since we are folding the paper? I.e waist/6 + 0.5 then divide by 2 since we are cutting on fold? Someone explain pls. Technically pattern should be divided by 12 if cut on fold. Or else you will get double waist/hip measurement.

@ccaramel: the way I do it is a 2 step process. Do the math as @arakulture instructed to get the hip measurement for the first panel. Then on fold, use that number ÷ 2 (since as you rightly pointed out the fabric is already on fold). Depending on the person's figure, you can get away with using the hip measurement as the waist measurement (to get rid of excess at the waist for a smaller figure, the sewn seam at the waist will be wider and then get narrower as you sew towards the hem of the skirt). Basically you would be sewing "darts" into the seams at the top. But that is IF you use hip meas.for waist meas., o!

Once that 1st panel is cut (remember it was cut on fold!), open it out and lay it flat on the rest of the fabric to cut 4 more panels. To save fabric, switch the directions (as mentioned earlier), if the fabric allows for it. Your total number of panels is now 5. For the 6th and final panel, fold up panel number 1 again (like it was just after you cut it out), then place it on the rest of your fabric (2 layers), but this time leave a 2" allowance on the non-flare edge (this is for adding a zipper in the back).

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 2:24pm On Nov 04, 2014
ccaramel:

Confused much!

The 2 inches is to give the skirt a nice shape and also to emphasize the flare at the bottom.

HTH

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 2:31pm On Nov 04, 2014
The way I was taught, I was told the front middle panel is slightly narrower than the two other front panels so that the two front seams look like they are running down the centre of the thighs...

@arakulture: what is your contact detail please?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by ccaramel(f): 4:51pm On Nov 04, 2014
bimbam:

The 2 inches is to give the skirt a nice shape and also to emphasize the flare at the bottom.

HTH

Bimbam. Aren't you a darling!!! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very clear now. Do you sew pro or as a hobby? I need a good tailor for some clothes that i don't have mind to attempt grin special thx for the fabric saving layout! I can manage my fabric properly now. I cut out six equal panels for my last fabric. What a waste of material!.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 5:32pm On Nov 04, 2014
@ccaramel:

Pro, ke? cheesy. I am a hobbyist hoping to learn from the pros, which is why I need to connect with arakulture IRL...I know enough to get by but not a whole lot, so I am looking to get more skills...

Also, with the layout, pls check the pattern on the fabric first, o! If it is plain fabric (except velvet or corduroy) go ahead and use the layout. But if the fabric has a one direction pattern, be careful with the layout, or else people will be asking "who is the carpenter who made this skirt"? smiley

Glad to be of assistance...

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 05, 2014
@bimbam u are a darling, thx for d explanation.

My contact is business 2l. Gbala str. Soluyi Gbagada and mobile is 08122632245

@ccaramel am glad u finally understood and like I said earlier there are lots of method for everyone the good thing is be open to all u can learn and decide which is best for u.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 07, 2014
@kemestry....how fat at d blouse tutorial, hope we are still game.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 8:12pm On Nov 09, 2014
Hello everyone! I ve been following this class and I have learnt a lot. I promise to post my skirt pictures soon. Thanks arakulture you are the best!
@bimbam, love your passion, wish I was in abj......
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 09, 2014
Thx @iclass and am glad u have learnt a lot, also I reside and operate in Lagos.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 10:40pm On Nov 15, 2014
Weldone everybody. I can see great work going on here. I have been out of town for a while now. @ arakculture , i see you, good job you are doing here.
I can't post pics now but will surely do in the next project.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by MymothersKeeper(f): 7:58am On Nov 17, 2014
excuse me why are nigerian designers absent online? I am looking for one by Verity she made a dress for my sister in law, I need the same dress asap now now, I will be in lagos for crimbo, where is her website to order in a click?? i must find her and wear that dress. If anyone can make the same please let me know.
It was called Verity RaRa dress from store in lagos. alternatively, I need fashion designers in lagos who can make the dress please cos i canr find her. Also needs a dressmaker for a wedding (bridesmaid this december) thank you.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by pearlyseed(f): 10:58am On Nov 17, 2014
MymothersKeeper:
excuse me why are nigerian designers absent online? I am looking for one by Verity she made a dress for my sister in law, I need the same dress asap now now, I will be in lagos for crimbo, where is her website to order in a click?? i must find her and wear that dress. If anyone can make the same please let me know.
It was called Verity RaRa dress from store in lagos. alternatively, I need fashion designers in lagos who can make the dress please cos i canr find her. Also needs a dressmaker for a wedding (bridesmaid this december) thank you.

You can reach Just n beautiful designs on 08063978406, call or whatsapp. A trial will convince u
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by estyy2(f): 6:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
@mymotherskeeper, y not post the pix of the dress so one can have an idea of wat u r tlking abt
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by estyy2(f): 6:08pm On Nov 17, 2014
@mymotherskeeper, why not post the pix of the dress so one can have an idea of what you are talking about
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 17, 2014
@mymotherskeeper, not all Nigeria tailors will be online and if u really need a design and can't locate Ur Sis tailor l, simply hire a new one and give sample of the dress and be sure u are giving the right person d job to do.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 2:17pm On Nov 18, 2014
I am game. When are we starting the blouse tutorials? Will post some pics to choose from. Also, pics of blouses can be posted voluntrarily so we all can consensually pick one.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 11:47pm On Nov 18, 2014
Hello ladies! I'm about to start my 6pieces skirt. Here is my fabric.

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 12:10am On Nov 19, 2014
Pics

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 8:43pm On Nov 19, 2014
Work in.progress....

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 19, 2014
@iclass well done pls. Send pic wen done and everyone that's viewing this thread and participated in any project should send pix to encourage others nah.

@kemestry, I love all the pix let others send and we all will choose. Well done, am swamped with work.

Also, Need good tailors, know anyone? He or she must reside around Gbagada and it environs...Kindly send my direct line....08055471312 or 08122632245.

Also, we stock lace, chiffon, silk, Ankara, sequins, cord lace and all kinds of fabrics. Also we offer Aso Ebi services for Ur events

Offering Sales of 20% on all our fabrics from Next wk...visit us at 2, Gbala str. Soluyi, Gbagada.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by noncy21: 7:22am On Nov 20, 2014
@Kemesty...- love all the pics but I prefer the second to last pic. Let others say their mind.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

My Crochet Fantasy / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.