Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,687 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along - Fashion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along (306182 Views)

Free DIY Handfans, Wire works, Bead works, Ankara bangles e.t.c Tutorials / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 6:46am On Nov 30, 2014
We will begin our blouse tutorials today.
Here's my measurement
* shoulder - 16
* bust- 39 @ 11
* under bust- 34 @ 14
* waist - 36 @ 16
* half lenght - 16
* full lenght - 25
* neck depth - 3
* neck width - 8
* bust point to point- 8
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 7:12am On Nov 30, 2014
We are going to start with the main body of the blouse as i told you the we have 3 blocks . So here's how the division process will be.
Shoulder- 16÷2=8
Bust- 39÷4=9.75
Under bust- 34÷4= 8.5
Neck width- 8÷2=4
Waist- 36÷4=9
Bust point to point- 8÷2=4( plus half inch sewing allowance)
For the breast cut
Using the bust point to point measurement, fold your fabric into 4 1/2 such that when you open , you will have a total of 9". Mark out the vertical distance of bust point, under bust, waist/half lenght, and include 1" allowance for the slanting of the shoulder and sewing allowance.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 30, 2014
AdeSuave:

Well done arakulture
Can I get information about the skirt making class?

Yes @ Adesuave....call 08122632245 thx.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by classic01(f): 5:38pm On Nov 30, 2014
Pictures of the explanation pls thanks
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 12:08pm On Dec 01, 2014
My picture quality is bad. Please manage. As soon as I am able to rectify it, will definitely upload.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 12:17pm On Dec 01, 2014
My picture quality is bad. Please manage. As soon as I am able to rectify it, will definitely upload.
My bust point to point is 8, divide by 2 , add 0.5 sewing allowance. Place your fabric on a fold of 4.5 ". Lenghtwise is 16 , in order to get a circular bust curve, mark 4.5" on the bust line, then 4" on the under bust line, then 3.5" that is minus 1" on the upper bust line.
On these marks, join the lines together like you are plotting a graph and cut through.

2 Likes

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 3:16pm On Dec 01, 2014
@kemesty:

Picture quality is good....please continue....thank you!

Does this blouse style have padding in the bust area?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 8:49pm On Dec 01, 2014
Well done Kemesty, Picture quality is ok. you used 4" for the underbust line, please what did you use for the waist/ half lenght. thanks a lot
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by debbydominic(f): 12:24pm On Dec 02, 2014
kemesty:
We are going to start with the main body of the blouse as i told you the we have 3 blocks . So here's how the division process will be.
Shoulder- 16÷2=8
Bust- 39÷4=9.75
Under bust- 34÷4= 8.5
Neck width- 8÷2=4
Waist- 36÷4=9
Bust point to point- 8÷2=4( plus half inch sewing allowance)
For the breast cut
Using the bust point to point measurement, fold your fabric into 4 1/2 such that when you open , you will have a total of 9". Mark out the vertical distance of bust point, under bust, waist/half lenght, and include 1" allowance for the slanting of the shoulder and sewing allowance.

please i dont understand this' fold your fabric into 4 1/2 such that when you open , you will have a total of 9".How do i achieve the 4.5 on fabric?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 12:44pm On Dec 02, 2014
iclass:
Well done Kemesty, Picture quality is ok. you used 4" for the underbust line, please what did you use for the waist/ half lenght. thanks a lot

@iclass:

I think she might have used either 4" or made the curve come back out to 4.5" (if the client has a belly). The most the waist can be is 4.5" (because that's what her initial fabric on fold was). Right now, she is only showing the centre "panel" of the blouse. There are 2 side panels that will complete the remainder of the blouse front

HTH
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 12:52pm On Dec 02, 2014
debbydominic:

please i dont understand this' fold your fabric into 4 1/2 such that when you open , you will have a total of 9".How do i achieve the 4.5 on fabric

@debbydominic:

To better understand, take your tape measure, place the metal/plastic tip by the "zero" or "0" mark and place it on the "9" mark. The result is that there will be a fold at the "4.5" mark. The same thing is to be done to your fabric. Fold one side over the other, and make sure the resulting width measures 4.5".

This placement is used to cut out a pattern piece so that both sides of the piece are even and equal.

HTH
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 1:30pm On Dec 02, 2014
bimbam:

@iclass:

I think she might have used either 4" or made the curve come back out to 4.5" (if the client has a belly). The most the waist can be is 4.5" (because that's what her initial fabric on fold was). Right now, she is only showing the centre "panel" of the blouse. There are 2 side panels that will complete the remainder of the blouse front

HTH

Thanks a lot now i understand.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2014
Hello
Thanks @ Bimbam. We are all in it together. Like she rightly said, what i last explained is the center panel of the bosom cut. There are additional two panels which lie at the other sides ( left and right) of the center panel.
For the side panels, take the cut out center panel and place on your folded fabric and cut through such that when you sew them together, you will have your perfect bust cut.
Then you can pin pieces together so you can now measure out your bust ( ÷4) , underbust and waist ( all divided by 4) , add 1.5" sewing allowance.
Use your front panel to cut out the back panel of the blouse , do not forget to include your zip allowance (1").
To temporarily cut your arm hole, i say this cos you would still trim your arm hole later, maesure out your shoulder, like mine is 16", divide by 2, that is 8, plus 0.5" allowance cut out your arm hole.
My neck depth is 6 while my neck width is 8, i will divide my neck width by 2, that is 4 since my fabric is on fold, then make my circular neck design.
If you desire a square, or sweetheart shape, then cut accordingly.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 1:33am On Dec 03, 2014
kemesty:
Hello
Thanks @ Bimbam. We are all in it together. Like she rightly said, what i last explained is the center panel of the bosom cut. There are additional two panels which lie at the other sides ( left and right) of the center panel.
For the side panels, take the cut out center panel and place on your folded fabric and cut through such that when you sew them together, you will have your perfect bust cut.
Then you can pin pieces together so you can now measure out your bust ( ÷4) , underbust and waist ( all divided by 4) , add 1.5" sewing allowance.
Use your front panel to cut out the back panel of the blouse , do not forget to include your zip allowance (1"wink.
To temporarily cut your arm hole, i say this cos you would still trim your arm hole later, maesure out your shoulder, like mine is 16", divide by 2, that is 8, plus 0.5" allowance cut out your arm hole.
My neck depth is 6 while my neck width is 8, i will divide my neck width by 2, that is 4 since my fabric is on fold, then make my circular neck design.
If you desire a square, or sweetheart shape, then cut accordingly.

Thanks, Kemesty, for your instructions even though you are very busy. Pls can you show pics for the steps outlined above?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by debbydominic(f): 5:35am On Dec 03, 2014
Thanks
bimbam:

@debbydominic:

To better understand, take your tape measure, place the metal/plastic tip by the "zero" or "0" mark and place it on the "9" mark. The result is that there will be a fold at the "4.5" mark. The same thing is to be done to your fabric. Fold one side over the other, and make sure the resulting width measures 4.5".

This placement is used to cut out a pattern piece so that both sides of the piece are even and equal.

HTH
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 4:09pm On Dec 05, 2014
Hello!
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 11:00pm On Dec 05, 2014
Hello peeps, hope u are trying out d tutorial and hope we all understand it. This season is tight so bear with @kemestry.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 05, 2014
There different methods of cutting and achieving d same result, dis method is in fact d best if u have to manage fabric or use 2 or more fabrics for the top as a colour block, try to follow d instruction by writing it out in a notepad and follow word for word then u will study d pic above and then continue with d sides, try that and let's see if u understand it dear.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 08, 2014
H
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 8:04pm On Dec 11, 2014
Hello everyone
I am soo sorry for being absent for a long time. I have been in a planet called the 'busy christmas planet'. My data expired but didn't realise. Please forgive me. My major challenge is presenting pictures at thus period but will definitely try.
From the last explanation, like I said, we only cut for the centre front, we still have the two front sides and the back panel to cut.
I will go over it again so we don't loose touch with the last lesson. Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2014
There are several methods in cutting breast-cut. I particularly chose this one cos it's easier to understand, ensures accuracy on both ends of the cut, and allows for colour blocking, patch- work or whatever you wish to do.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by oduamine: 1:53pm On Dec 12, 2014
@kemesty please post pictures of each steps thanks
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 10:25pm On Jan 02, 2015
Happy new year everyone. The holiday has been interesting for me. What about you? We greatly appreciate God almighty for his enduring love towards us to see a brand new year.
I'm so optimistic that we will experience unending joy and increased heights in all aspects of our lives. Amen.
In this year, we will do more projects considering time, speed and accuracy. Hopefully, we will all get there.
Arakulture, i hope you are fine? Please pop in to wish us a happy new year and give your new year speech. Lol.
To everyone, i say happy new year again. I love you all.

3 Likes

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 5:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
@ arakulture, please come out of the merriment. Holidays are over, its back to reality.
Let us start a project.
Meanwhile, lamirah school of fashion and designs starts classes on the 12th of january.
We have basic, intermediate and advanced classes with its attendant curriculum.
We train with modern industrial machines and very conducive classroom.
At lamirah school of fashion and design, we go with you all the way from basic till you are a confident fashion designer.
Please contact us for details
Call/ text/whatsapp -08032526875, 08058518825
Email- lamirahcouture@yahoo.com
BB Pin- 2B65F0AF
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 5:59pm On Jan 04, 2015
@ arakulture, please come out of the merriment. Holidays are over, its back to reality.
Let us start a project.
Meanwhile, lamirah school of fashion and designs starts classes on the 12th of january.
We have basic, intermediate and advanced classes with its attendant curriculum.
We train with modern industrial machines and very conducive classroom.
At lamirah school of fashion and design, we go with you all the way from basic till you are a confident fashion designer.
Please contact us for details
Call/ text/whatsapp -08032526875, 08058518825
Email- lamirahcouture@yahoo.com
BB Pin- 2B65F0AF
Address- suite FBE 11 and 23, new banex plaza, plot 741, Aminu Kano crescent, wuse 11, abuja.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 05, 2015
Hello everyone, am so sorry to be absent for some time been neck deep in work....no break for me oooo. But I thank God for his mercies and grace.

Happy New Year to everyone and welcome to your year of celebration, we shall celebrate through this year IJN.

@ kemestry thx dear was waiting for the completed part of our top nah, pls. Finish and post d pix process cos most people are waiting for u to finish so that we can move on pls. The whole excess of allowing you to participate in teaching is to give people following this thread a better learning experience.

Teaching for free is not easy to do when others are paying. Lots of people add me on BlackBerry and whatsapp and demand I teach them certain things or what their clients wants to make. Pls people I only teach on nairaland. And my BlackBerry is strictly for business so don't get offended or think am rude, it's not my intention but we have to create a boundary. If u need my help based on what we have taught or teaching, I will gladly help but not on something different except techniques if d need arises and it's very important will gladly help if l can.

Also, we all can post adverts wen d need arises but d rule is simple, pls. Don't post similar advert of what someone else's is doing or has posted. E.g fashion designers in d house.

Pls. Everyone let's make this place a place to wish to log into.

Our new rule for d year is a project a month. Anyone can volunteer to take a project but pls be detailed and finish your project
So God help us all. Thanks and have a fruitful week ahead.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
As we all know this is a working month and lots if people will have a need for an office skirt.

So our project for this month is a straight /pencil skirt.

Measurements you need...

Waist
Waist to hip
Hip
Length

Let's post our fabrics.

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 05, 2015
Project lined up for next month....

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 11:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
Arakulture, welcome
Do i still go ahead with the blouse tutorials cos i hope to do so tommorow or you are going on with this proposed project?
I have been immersed in great work. Bear with me.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 5:50am On Jan 06, 2015
Pls let's finish that blouse tutorial, thx. Good morning.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2015
Loading....... 9pm
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 7:49pm On Jan 06, 2015
I'm using a different fabric this time cos i completed the project with the other fabric i submitted here.
For me not to have two completely similar style, i am going to add a little twist.
Firstly, i will start my measurement from the 3.5" mark, that means i'm going to create a shoulder for the blouse.
Secondly, the peplum at my back will be a little longer than the front's.
Please bear with me cos i patiently explain each step so you understand. It is not how far but how well. This is what i always tell my students. That's why they always say even a toddler can learn fashion and designing from me and become a pro.
Back to business, when i mean i 'm going to create a shoulder, check from this image.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

My Crochet Fantasy / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.