Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24210 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by kstyle2(m): 11:17am On Jul 08, 2014
Hard to say when u've got folks like phenom,jesse jagz givin us cool stuffz
P.s lz tell illbliss 2 put rymez when he raps cos datz d ish
Shout out 2 phenom,jesse jagz,eva,phyno
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Simitrendy: 11:18am On Jul 08, 2014
acenazt: Even in the US. Who listens to Nas,Mos Def,KRS ONE,Talib Kweli,Rass Kass,2Pac,Immortal Technique any more?? Every body's busy listening to Useless music by the likes of 2Chainz,Future,Migos,Asop Ferg,Rich Homie quan. Its the generation. Times change and so does taste and interests.
These pipu aint intrestd in Nas,Styles P,homie quan They wld rather listen to Rick Ross(TeflonDon),Lil Wayne,asap,2chainz,Nicki Minaj and French Montana
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by disloman(m): 11:18am On Jul 08, 2014
Smartsyn: Real rap is not sellable in Nigeria...

We prefer noise..
Gbam

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:19am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
no one is perfect bro...

uhmmmm
listen to
Crowd mentality
imperfect me
Safe
One Naira
damnn...that's where mi Abaga stole my heart..

yea u're right but mi as not being representing the real hip-hop ever since
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Anacksunamun: 11:19am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
one million likes for u bro...
just when i taught i was alone...
listening to phenom ft Mi 6foot..
noticed that phenom killed it with awesome punchlines...
tho Mi abaga was suberp also..
check out shot on shots by iceprince
was just shouting...
I don't pay mind to people that don't know what Rap is all about. I was arguing with one doofus offline and the hediot told me "2chains is the shitt. He raps better even than Nas." I nearly weeped. sadsad people don't know what rap is all about no more. It's all about their taste not what the Genre entails.

Afropop ain't rap!! It's just commercial rap watered down with bullshitt rhymes. Imagine someone calling Ice Prince's "Whiskey" a rap song. Dafuq?!! WTF is "whiskey whiskey whiskey whiskey carry me go, ayanyaya?" I mean what kind of rap is that? Yet BET called him up for that tripe? Phenom is one of the most underrated Rappers in Nigeria. Listen to that Nigga spit. He goes harder than any "eréction"!! His verse on M.I's "6 foot rmx" is something Ice Prince can't bring to the table!! If Ice Prince wants to know what rap entails, then Yung6ix's verse in M.I's "Export" (off his mixtape) is what he'd be infusing into his raps. I'm outta here jare. And about "shots and shots", if not for sarkodie, I wouldn't have downloaded it.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ElFenomeno1: 11:20am On Jul 08, 2014
acenazt: damn man I didn't say people have stopped. I meant The Mainstream Is more appealing to the Younger Generation. If you Look well Gangsters aren't as common as then. I am 18 and I still Listen to the Likes of Immortal Tecnique,Ice Cube,Big L,Chino XL,Cannibus,Eminem,krs One,Jay Z,AOTP,Mobb Deep,Dre,Nas,Mos Def and all them Old Rappers.
Fair enough. I see some valid points up there.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by mbulela: 11:22am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob:

Conclusively, I doff my hat to these real hiphop artistes who never gave in to the commercial stereotype-craze in the industry today.To me,it all boils down to LOVE and PASSION for the art(which is the real essence of listening and making music) and not the money.Thanks to these "real artistes" for keeping rapheads like me glued to nigerian music.
DJ ICE-MOB
#Now playing:Desire by jesse jagz
#jagznationalist

I am assuming you have an alternative source of income for them?
When we spout all this love and passion c.rap, we need to balance it with reality. It is fine doing this in late teenage and early twenties when you are still young and do not have responsibilities but when you are a grown man,you need to find a way to make the love and passion pay your bills. Unless you have another job and doing music by the side.
However, I still believe you can still do real hip hop and make it commercially successful. While the listeners are lazy,I also think the artistes are lazy too.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Sheyzman(m): 11:22am On Jul 08, 2014
I listen to hardcore rap, take my time in deciphering the punchlines, understand the wordplay. Currently, only jesse jags, vector and modenine gives me hardcore. Olamide doesnt do hardcore no more. In nigeria, a rap artiste starts with hardcore rap, from hardcore to commercial and then to singing. That olamide of a thing will still sing fuji. Walahi! In Nigeria most people don't love hardcore rap. Na dah stupid ice prince ( that can't freestyle) rap that they want
#vector ft mavado on point
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 11:22am On Jul 08, 2014
Its basically all about what sells. No point putting unwanted articles in the market. Dare Art Alade learnt d hard way...he almost went extinct.

IMHO

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by disloman(m): 11:22am On Jul 08, 2014
tsolz84: @ OP;to be candid;it has faded bro..the only real hip-hop/rapper still holding it strong in 9ja is d legendary "Jesse Jagz"..the likes of ice prince and co aint rappers;dunno the kind of music dey play but it definitely aint rap..
E dey pain mi when pple dey mention jesse jagz a rapper.Una dey craze ni?I don download his numerous tracks n can't see what he is rapping.Bro!no tell am again.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 08, 2014
NickiRoman: Real hip-hop is long gone in Nigeria..So it doesn't matter,every Artiste is going with the trend of producing Club songs.. It still won't stop me from listening to Real Hip-Hop Artiste like Tu'pac,Nas,Papoose,Jay-Z,Biggy,Mc Lyte,Lauryn Hill,Twalib kwali,Snoop Dog,Eminem,Common,Mos Deff,Andre 3000,LL Cool J,Dr Dre,e.t.c

*Plays Nas-It ain't hard to tell*

if you re really this hard.....hmmmmm
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ugoezeik(m): 11:23am On Jul 08, 2014
Pls wat did dis thread say because l no readam, l was rushing to d toilet dats y l no readam. Can someone help out?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Engen(m): 11:25am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: U are saying real hiphop have given way for normal hiphop even in the US? Dont be so sure.Take example in K.dot,he keeps it real am talkin real "real" and so he is king.And then jcole.Nobody puts them on sideline.Am sure if these same rappers were in nigeria nobody would take them serious. And...bruv u listed nas,mosdef,krs1 and even tupac shocked as been ignored? those artistes are pioneers,they enjoyed success one point or year in time and cant enjoy that forever u know.

Really? You just buttress the guys point from another angle
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:26am On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish: Its basically all about what sells. No point putting unwanted articles in the market. Dare Art Alade learnt d hard way...he almost went extinct.

IMHO
good rap music still sells any tym any day, is not just easy to find one this days!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 08, 2014
Warris this one saying?
disloman: E dey pain mi when pple dey mention jesse jagz a rapper.Una dey craze ni?I don download his numerous tracks n can't see what he is rapping.Bro!no tell am again.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Testerfuze(m): 11:28am On Jul 08, 2014
Its a simple logic,ask yourself why people prefer to read sexcapades than poems on NL....the reason why the sexuality section recieves more guest than the poetry section is why people prefer commercial rap 2 real Hip-hop. #chikena

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Anacksunamun: 11:28am On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish: Its basically all about what sells. No point putting unwanted articles in the market. Dare Art Alade learnt d hard way...he almost went extinct.

IMHO
This is just the truth!! It's all about what sells and not about making meaningful intelligent musics laced with wisdom. Dare was a fine asss muscian, with thought-provoking lyrics, but he'd to change to dancehall music because Nigerians don't like musics, they like noise!! Before Iyanya blew with Kukure, his first album was in tune with what RnB entails and what won him MTN's Project Fame. His voice was melodious and he doled out nice deeply meaningful songs. But nobody bought that album, so he switched to Kukere and "hammered". He said it himself that people didn't value his first album so he had to bring out party songs which people in Nigeria likes.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nihilist: 11:29am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

Poems are way more vast than Rap music in intellectual content and scope of what they cover. #No Contest.
The diciphering aspect makes for an even more interesting intellectual exercise.
This is just an ignorant assertion especially considering that rap is essentially poetry over an instrumental..

Rap on the other hand is limited in scope of topics covered. I am yet to hear any Rap that talks about the sufferings of the Girl Child, But I have heard my mian Nigga tell his Girls Biitches to pull their panties to the side and work his diick like a lollipop... grin

More ignorance.... 2pac's classics Brenda's Got A Baby and Keep Ya Head Up immediately rubbish your assertions. Kendrick Lamar's Keisha's Song, J.Cole's Crooked Smile are a few songs from the golden era and current era of hip hop that come to mind.

Yup! I have heard rap talk more about Guns and not snitching in the hood and hating on Police and other such stuff ad even talk about going to jail like Jail was the new Marriots Hotel for street Niggas. grin

If you are in tune with the Gangsta side of you more than the actual tre life you living everyday (as a Nigerian), then Hip Hop rap is your Poem.

Gangsta rap is just one genre of rap just as Metal is just a genre of Rock music. Gangsta rap offers a commentary and an inside view of the reality of life on the streets for many negroes in the western world. That life is something that you may not be able to relate to, but it is an essential form of communication for so many blacks in the US/UK in the same way as Fuji/Apala is essential to many real street niggas in south western Nigeria today.

You dont have to listen to Gangsta rap if you dont want to. Infact some of the biggest names in Rap have spoken against the gangsta ideals and tried to encourage street niggas to change.

2pac -I aint mad at ya/Changes, Nas - Not going back/Rewind,Dre -The Watcher(in a contrived way admittedly) Practically any Public Enemy Song, Common -War, Kendrick Lamar - MAAD City/Art of Peer Pressure, Eminem -When the music stops/Toy Soldiers are just a few songs off the top that I can list right now.

You need to educate yourself before misyarning all over the internet.

Hip-Hop lives!!!

5 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by daryoor(m): 11:31am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
u miss road

Davido ni

ur so Dumb
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by daryoor(m): 11:31am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
u miss road

Davido ni

ur so Dumb

ur fada is dumber
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 11:32am On Jul 08, 2014
mbulela:

I am assuming you have an alternative source of income for them?
When we spout all this love and passion c.rap, we need to balance it with reality. It is fine doing this in late teenage and early twenties when you are still young and do not have responsibilities but when you are a grown man,you need to find a way to make the love and passion pay your bills. Unless you have another job and doing music by the side.
However, I still believe you can still do real hip hop and make it commercially successful. While the listeners are lazy,I also think the artistes are lazy too.
So u r saying music is now like a gateway shortcut to riches right? This,my good friend,is the problem.And this is why upcoming artistes fail even before starting. *Weeping* for nigerian music future.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 11:36am On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: I just decide not agree with you tho I understand the angle you ar coming from but when we talk of good rap music as nothing to do with all those you mention... I remember when Nigerians dance to many rap tunes without even understand the lyrics, if we are lucky to have one good rapper that can represent what real rap stand for one day? I believ then we'll realize that making real hiphop is not only about what we listen to this days ...

Don't get me wrong brother. I love rap music as well. But why are the good rappers not doing well in Nigeria?. That's the question, and that's what the OP is saying; Nigerians don't appreciate them. But until the radio station and TV's bring this good raps to the fore Nigerians will not get to hear them. That's the way I see it.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 11:37am On Jul 08, 2014
Anacksunamun:
I don't pay mind to people that don't know what Rap is all about. I was arguing with one doofus offline and the hediot told me "2chains is the shitt. He raps better even than Nas." I nearly weeped. sadsad people don't know what rap is all about no more. It's all about their taste not what the Genre entails.

Afropop ain't rap!! It's just commercial rap watered down with bullshitt rhymes. Imagine someone calling Ice Prince's "Whiskey" a rap song. Dafuq?!! WTF is "whiskey whiskey whiskey whiskey carry me go, ayanyaya?" I mean what kind of rap is that? Yet BET called him up for that tripe? Phenom is one of the most underrated Rappers in Nigeria. Listen to that Nigga spit. He goes harder than any "eréction"!! His verse on M.I's "6 foot rmx" is something Ice Prince can't bring to the table!! If Ice Prince wants to know what rap entails, then Yung6ix's verse in M.I's "Export" (off his mixtape) is what he'd be infusing into his raps. I'm outta here jare. And about "shots and shots", if not for sarkodie, I wouldn't have downloaded it.
BRO U JUst nailed it..Phenom was like "i Gat a Chick CV for a BL0w job"i just drop cap for the dude.
Young6 is even better. cause that export lyrics was really incredible...
he was like "i was made for this sh|t,u can call me diper" coll huh
phenom really need to be recognized, cause he's always representing... unlike ice..
i listened to TEARS FOR NAIJA
had to check if it was really done by iceprince...
WtF...dude was like.."if na ur sister i bomb, how u go feel..i for don follow the battalion "cant recall the exact words buh it was so wack compared to
Ashes by Mi abaga..

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by mbulela: 11:37am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: So u r saying music is now like a gateway shortcut to riches right? This,my good friend,is the problem.And this is why upcoming artistes fail even before starting. *Weeping* for nigerian music future.
Guy,it is a source of livelihood for these guys. Let us not me too romantic about it. It is like asking Messi to play for free with Barcelona or come and play for Enugu Rangers all for the love of the game.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 11:38am On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: good rap music still sells any tym any day, is not just easy to find one this days!

Compare how much they sell to how much gibberish sells.....we're talking about high sales..not kobo-kobo... People who appreciate good rap music are relatively scarce...and "scarce-fans" cant get u anywhere in ur career. A typical naija guy is looking for sth he can dance Azonto to..how many good rap music can u dance to? Ppl who care about lyrics are gradually being converted to gibberish-hungry fans...

Sometimes i go to music shops looking for some good'ol Bone Thugs n Harmony, Tupac...and all i see are Timaya & Iyanya.... I guess no shop wants to record a loss so they basically buy and sell trash...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 11:39am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: Rap is limited in scope of topic covered? Now i know u been sleepin on real rap and artistes like:Lupe fiasco,Jcole,Talib kwali,immortal tech,our very own modenine(with "cry)and so on.Bro stick to ur 2chainz,rich gangs,Asap rockys and all em gangsta wannabes.

[b]Hehehe..

Like I said, I loves me some 2Chainz anyday. The boy is reetarded like that and I cant hate on him. I dont even try to make sense of his lyrrics cos I dont expect him to make sense. But his songs are catchy and for that, I will listen to him and maybe do the two-step to it as well. grin

Thats said, I still do listen to Talib Kweli, Nas, Jigga, Notorious B.I.G Common, KRS One, Eminem (Infact, all these rppers here listed, I have their entire discography [sub]You would Notice I didnt mention 2Pac, thats cos just a couple of his songs appeal to me and I wouldnt waste my MB on downloading his discography). They serve a whole nother purpose to me musically from Chainz and Rich Gang. On a journey that I am driving, I want Chainz and co to riding shortgun. On a Journey where I am being driven, I kick back and bump me some Kweli, DRE, NWA and co..

On days when I aint feeling Gangster, I listen to Asa and Nneka and all those slow making sense type songs.

On the days I am feeling edgy, I am listening to Nickleback, Evanessence, Avril, Linkin Park, Greenday, Guns & Roses and Co..

When I am feeling Spiritual, I play me some of that Sister Chioma Jesus Shiit... grin That Biitch can make a Nigga feel super religious with her songs. grin

SO dont worry Fam, I am a well rounded Musical Lover. Thats why I can tell you that Music is Subjective. Thats why I can tell you poetry is way more Vast in comparison to Rap. Thats why I can tell you that Chainz, Kweli, KRS, Rich Gangs, Future and co all serve different purpose in Music. They are all Gangster Rap, just different variant of Rap. A Nigga like Lil Jon is in a whole nother class on his own, but I bet you when that nigga comes on by 2.00am after some Hennessy, he doesnt sound as bad as he does by 9.00 am when you are recovering from last nights hangover. grin

You niggas need to stop tripping and just enjoy the music you enjoy.

Incase you all have forgotten; This is the definition of Music; Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion: Something that is very pleasant or gratifying to hear or discover:

Now a Yoruba man hears that Talking drum go off and starts dancing, I hear that shiit and be like DAFUQ IS THAT?! angry [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by mbulela: 11:39am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
BRO U JUst nailed it..Phenom was like "i Gat a Chick CV for a BL0w job"i just drop cap for the dude.
Young6 is even better. cause that export lyrics was really incredible...
he was like "i was made for this sh|t,u can call me diper" coll huh
phenom really need to be recognized, cause he's always representing... unlike ice..
i listened to TEARS FOR NAIJA
had to check if it was really done by iceprince...
WtF...dude was like.."if na ur sister i bomb, how u go feel..i for don follow the battalion "cant recall the exact words buh it was so wack compared to
Ashes by Mi abaga..

I am not a hip hop head but I feel ashamed each time I listen to Ice prince. The mediocrity is shameful.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 08, 2014
I don't think I've actually heard about any naij rapper that can actually rap, to be honest.

The M.I guy is garbage.

So, this topic is confusing since "real hip-hop/rap" never existed in naij, based on the tunes I have heard.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by DesChyko: 11:42am On Jul 08, 2014
Something has to dominate, at least to an extent, before it goes extinct.. Rap was never dominant in Nigeria, so what's this talk of extinction about?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:45am On Jul 08, 2014
musicwriter:

Don't get me wrong brother. I love rap music as well. But why are the good rappers not doing well in Nigeria?. That's the question, and that's what the OP is saying; Nigerians don't appreciate them. But until the radio station and TV's bring this good raps to the fore Nigerians will not get to hear them. That's the way I see it.
I understand you very well bother, is all because all our so called good rapper are not representing the real hip hop up the task, forget it we don't have good rapper in nigeria and nigeria music industry are not making real hip hop" I can still mention some tvs and radio station that broadcast under ground rap music from nigeria day and night and if you listen very well they ar all wack so no one is ready put them on sales... We need to dig all this things from the under ground, the tv or radio not broadcasting them is not a point at all.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by JEITO: 11:45am On Jul 08, 2014
Not only in Nigeria, but around the world. You need to adultrate ur songs with a bit of dance for it to sell cos the days of gangsterism and feud(which characterises hiphop and rap cultures) is long gone. #hiphop is dressing up...

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Ahuitzotl: 11:45am On Jul 08, 2014
Real hip hop never took off in Nigeria, since the heady days of Junior and Pretty all we have had are sell outs and misfits goofing around never mind waxing dumb shiite.Although we must give credit to this motley Nigerian crowd for making this here a commercial success even though it exposes the lazy/ dumb intellect of the average Nigerian listener but we must as usual look to Ghana for true inspiration as far as Real hip hop in Africa is concerned...acts like Reggie rockstone,quattara,Tiny etc springs readily to mind.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / Download Old And Fresh Nigeria Songs All For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.