Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24205 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Sheyzman(m): 11:47am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

grin

Poems are way more vast than Rap music in intellectual content and scope of what they cover. #No Contest.

The diciphering aspect makes for an even more interesting intellectual exercise.

Rap on the other hand is limited in scope of topics covered. I am yet to hear any Rap that talks about the sufferings of the Girl Child, But I have heard my mian Nigga tell his Girls Biitches to pull their panties to the side and work his diick like a lollipop... grin

Yup! I have heard rap talk more about Guns and not snitching in the hood and hating on Police and other such stuff ad even talk about going to jail like Jail was the new Marriots Hotel for street Niggas. grin

If you are in tune with the Gangsta side of you more than the actual tre life you living everyday (as a Nigerian), then Hip Hop rap is your Poem.

Go listen to crooked smile by j.Cole fvcktard
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 11:47am On Jul 08, 2014
daryoor:

ur fada is dumber
just accept it bro...
ur comment was so dump ...
imagine u saying Davido is a rapper.. lol

sklewu n Gobe na HipHop
abi na Aye...

Go to school
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 08, 2014
Can someone please name all decent naij rappers?

I dunno man, the ones I've listened to don't even know what a 16 is...they don't use metaphors and similes...all they do is rhyme. And perhaps in M.I's case throw some vocabs in there. That's about it. Rap isn't just about rhyming. grin

I believe they all need to go study "The Art of Rap" and get back to the basics.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Herrmes: 11:50am On Jul 08, 2014
NickiRoman: Real hip-hop is long gone in Nigeria..So it doesn't matter,every Artiste is going with the trend of producing Club songs.. It still won't stop me from listening to Real Hip-Hop Artiste like Tu'pac,Nas,Papoose,Jay-Z,Biggy,Mc Lyte,Lauryn Hill,Twalib kwali,Snoop Dog,Eminem,Common,Mos Deff,Andre 3000,LL Cool J,Dr Dre,e.t.c

*Plays Nas-It ain't hard to tell*
No offense but where did the op say you should mention the name of "real" Hip-Hop artists you know? I like them all but it was unnecessary and please never put Jay Z and Nas or Tu'Pac in the same sentence it is an insult to rap

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by oluamid(m): 11:51am On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: Same old overflogged, baseless argument.... The truth is as simple as ABC, NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN CRACKING METAPHORS OR LISTENING TO PUNCHLINES.... Its the same way everyone aint interested in poetry... The animosity here is due to the fact that the makers and listeners of this genre of music are not willing to accept that other people do not share same interest.... Nd what is real rap/hip-hop, music is an art and real is relative.... I do not care what mode nine has to say, if I want words of wisdom, I'd pick a book... I can't just waste my time listening to a 10-20 track CD, with similar boring tune, drab choruses and verses with "words of wisdom"... I might just as well pick up a poem book.... Truth is, most of this artistes are not versatile, they don't go commercial because they cannot go commercial, its not because they don't want to... Let's face it, mode9 cannot sing to save his life... Versatile people like eminem, kendrick, nd MI (when he did safe, not now), have made nice tunes with sweet choruses whilst making sense at the same time.... The world is not static, change is a constant, one must adapt... Mode9 and the others may be more lyrical, but phyno, olamide etc are better musicians....

Well, rap, just as with everything else appeals to taste. you may like the "bling bling bubble gum wrap" kinda rap while someone else may like "real rap". Rap is subjective.

I love Modenine's brand of rap.

By the way, listen to Upside Down by modenine ft Nnena Omali, and tell us how you feel.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:52am On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish:

Compare how much they sell to how much gibberish sells.....we're talking about high sales..not kobo-kobo... People who appreciate good rap music are relatively scarce...and "scarce-fans" cant get u anywhere in ur career. A typical naija guy is looking for sth he can dance Azonto to..how many good rap music can u dance to? Ppl who care about lyrics are gradually being converted to gibberish-hungry fans...

Sometimes i go to music shops looking for some good'ol Bone Thugs n Harmony, Tupac...and all i see are Timaya & Iyanya.... I guess no shop wants to record a loss so they basically buy and sell trash...
I guess you know u're just saying this base on the kind of environment you expose to .. ? Right ... Go nd check history of those that make good rap music and real hiphop before jumping into this argument with me... How much did those dancing tune tunes we see this days sell? How much are they making ? Dnt let them carry you away with all thos pakaging videos is all lies! Just check history of how much those that make good rap music sells base on debut or singles first then let's start from there!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 11:53am On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: I understand you very well bother, is all because all our so called good rapper are not representing the real hip hop up the task, forget it we don't have good rapper in nigeria and nigeria music industry are not making real hip hop" I can still mention some tvs and radio station that broadcast under ground rap music from nigeria day and night and if you listen very well they ar all wack so no one is ready put them on sales... We need to dig all this things from the under ground, the tv or radio not broadcasting them is not a point at all.

Are you a musician or just a music fan?.

Listen.

No matter the music you make, if you like you can create the best smashing hit, if the radio stations and TVs don't play it nobody will know you. Also if you like you can create rubbish but as long as the radio stations and TVs play it you would become famous overnight. Because 99.9% of people can only know their artistes from the radio and TVs. That's the way it is brother. Talking from experience.

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by tuasefemi(m): 11:56am On Jul 08, 2014
grin
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 11:57am On Jul 08, 2014
musicwriter:

Listen.

No matter the music you make, if you like you can create the best smashing hit, if the radio stations and TVs don't play it nobody will know you. Also if you like you can create rubbish but as long as the radio stations and TVs play it you would become famous overnight. Because 99.9% of people can only know their artistes from the radio and TVs. That's the way it is brother. Talking from experience.
Exactly

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 11:57am On Jul 08, 2014
Nihilist:
This is just an ignorant assertion especially considering that rap is essentially poetry over an instrumental..

More ignorance.... 2pac's classics Brenda's Got A Baby and Keep Ya Head Up immediately rubbish your assertions. Kendrick Lamar's Keisha's Song, J.Cole's Crooked Smile are a few songs from the golden era and current era of hip hop that come to mind.

Gangsta rap is just one genre of rap just as Metal is just a genre of Rock music. Gangsta rap offers a commentary and an inside view of the reality of life on the streets for many negroes in the western world. That life is something that you may not be able to relate to, but it is an essential form of communication for so many blacks in the US/UK in the same way as Fuji/Apala is essential to many real street niggas in south western Nigeria today.

You dont have to listen to Gangsta rap if you dont want to. Infact some of the biggest names in Rap have spoken against the gangsta ideals and tried to encourage street niggas to change.

2pac -I aint mad at ya/Changes, Nas - Not going back/Rewind,Dre -The Watcher(in a contrived way admittedly) Practically any Public Enemy Song, Common -War, Kendrick Lamar - MAAD City/Art of Peer Pressure, Eminem -When the music stops/Toy Soldiers are just a few songs off the top that I can list right now.

You need to educate yourself before misyarning all over the internet.

Hip-Hop lives!!!

[b]First off, Boy you needs to chill the fhuck out! You aint aint a Gangster like that.. grin

Rap is indeed Poetry sang over beats.. But for the purpose of communication, we chose to refer to them as Rap versus Poetry (written) and the dude with whom I was chatting clearly understood that.

Now I prefer 'Poems' to Rap cos like I said, the areas covered are way more vast than Rap.

Cos I have no energy to really go into this with you, I will just leave it simple, nas who sang One Mic on the very same Album has "Got yourself a Gun'.. grin 2 Pac who sang 'mam dont Cry' also sang the song to Biggie where he was talking about 'Fhucking his biitch'. grin Eminem with 'Toy Soldiers' also sang 'Kill You'. Point is, almost all the people who went on to speak against the violent aspect of Rap all have songs promoting violence and 'thuggery'. Now I can relate to some of the things they say cos I have been fortunate to see their society, but this thread was talking about Nigerian hip-hop and I was responding to the dude who sai if we copied rap, then we should keep it original instead of adapting it to suit our own local struggles.

My Education is a daily hussle.. You on the other hand need to get off your high horse and understand before you attack.. Just cos you think a certain genre of Hip-Hop is the 'reallest' dont mean shiit.. Geddit!

We all aint Gun-carrying Gangsters.. Some of us just want to get High, party and fhuck.. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by severee(m): 11:58am On Jul 08, 2014
grin how dare you call real rap artistes without Eedris abdulkareem?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 11:59am On Jul 08, 2014
Sheyzman: .
Go listen to crooked smile by j.Cole fvcktard

Its cool my Nigga..

'person huh? I see we are now down to calling each other names.. grin

I aint even gonna play with you like that.

Thanks for reccomendation though, I will take it under advisement.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
JEITO: Not only in Nigeria, but around the world. You need to adultrate ur songs with a bit of dance for it to sell cos the days of gangsterism and feud(which characterises hiphop and rap cultures) is long gone. #hiphop is dressing up...

Perhaps you're alluding to the mainstream. However, real hip-hop/rap lives in the underground now. There are so many great underground rappers, but the problem is that they're too dark for the mainstream, and a lot of them also don't know how to make great music. To get radio-play, you have to be able to turn great rap into great music. Also, the politics, and the Jews who control the mainstream are the ones killing the culture. The society at large is also very dumb - and most times people have to dumb-it-down to be all to relate to the mainstream.

That said, there are still a few great rappers out there killing the mainstream. Kendrick Lamar, Ab Soul, Schoolboy Q, Drake(when he's rapping), Wale, J.Cole, Meek Mills, A$AP Rocky and the mob, Joey Bada$$ etc.. And a lot of the old school rappers are also still dropping bangers.

Gangstar rap is still alive...YG, Nipsey, and Troy Ave.

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nihilist:
This is just an ignorant assertion especially considering that rap is essentially poetry over an instrumental..

More ignorance.... 2pac's classics Brenda's Got A Baby and Keep Ya Head Up immediately rubbish your assertions. Kendrick Lamar's Keisha's Song, J.Cole's Crooked Smile are a few songs from the golden era and current era of hip hop that come to mind.

Gangsta rap is just one genre of rap just as Metal is just a genre of Rock music. Gangsta rap offers a commentary and an inside view of the reality of life on the streets for many negroes in the western world. That life is something that you may not be able to relate to, but it is an essential form of communication for so many blacks in the US/UK in the same way as Fuji/Apala is essential to many real street niggas in south western Nigeria today.

You dont have to listen to Gangsta rap if you dont want to. Infact some of the biggest names in Rap have spoken against the gangsta ideals and tried to encourage street niggas to change.

2pac -I aint mad at ya/Changes, Nas - Not going back/Rewind,Dre -The Watcher(in a contrived way admittedly) Practically any Public Enemy Song, Common -War, Kendrick Lamar - MAAD City/Art of Peer Pressure, Eminem -When the music stops/Toy Soldiers are just a few songs off the top that I can list right now.

You need to educate yourself before misyarning all over the internet.

Hip-Hop lives!!!

you also forgot to mention tupac's baby dont cry.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
Er, add Jay Rock and Childish Gambino to the list.

Just too many to name.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 12:04pm On Jul 08, 2014
musicwriter:

Listen.

is better you dnt continue with this kind of mentality, you can equally ask yourself even if those artist at their peak are to pay all the tvs or radios for their music to be played everyday for fame will they gain anything from the album sells ? These ar the kind of mentality that bring kennis music down up to this days, make good music 1st bro! Make ur rap tyte... Try ur best make ever lasting rap song , can u tell me how many tyms most tupac song that as bein recycle since 90s brought bk to markets ? I understand you very well but medias are not to be blame for their lazy ass at all!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BlackPikiN(m): 12:06pm On Jul 08, 2014
Where the heck is chinaydu? The guy Rugged man introduced some twoor three years ago.
The guy released a mix tape and went into oblivion.

Chinaydu release something new.

You all should listen and testify if this guy is good.

http://notjustok.com/?s=Chinaydu&submit=Search
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 12:06pm On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish:

Compare how much they sell to how much gibberish sells.....we're talking about high sales..not kobo-kobo... People who appreciate good rap music are relatively scarce...and "scarce-fans" cant get u anywhere in ur career. A typical naija guy is looking for sth he can dance Azonto to..how many good rap music can u dance to? Ppl who care about lyrics are gradually being converted to gibberish-hungry fans...

Sometimes i go to music shops looking for some good'ol Bone Thugs n Harmony, Tupac...and all i see are Timaya & Iyanya.... I guess no shop wants to record a loss so they basically buy and sell trash...
Hmmm. Anything that appeals to an intended audience successfully is no longer trash.

Hip hop, at inception, was seen as trash by the connoisseurs of "organized" and "structured" music in America. But the target audience was "the street" and because of that orientation, Hip Hop succeeded. It was created by the street and for it.

I've given up trying (in my mind) to organize naija commercial music into proper structure. It is largely, musical chaos but the street (it's intended audience) accepts it wholeheartedly. Even Radio and Tv music channels love it.

In summary, it has (as 9ce would say) street credibility.

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 12:08pm On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
Exactly

You know what I'm talking about!. Check out this 3 songs on iTunes.

(1) Satan kingdom is fall - Version 1.
https://itunes.apple.com/ng/album/satan-kingdom-is-fall-bonus/id891150570?i=891150573

(2). Satan kingdom is fall - Version 2.
https://itunes.apple.com/ng/album/satan-kingdom-is-fall-deluxe/id891150570?i=891150574

(3). No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
https://itunes.apple.com/ng/album/no-weapon-formed-against-me/id891150570?i=891150576

My brother, these are the hottest gospel tracks on iTunes in Africa right now based on my downloads. Yet, few people have heard about my songs in Nigeria because I'm an independent artiste and not yet with any record label. The moment this music hit Nigerian radio stations the whole country will hear it. I'm coming out with a video soon to prove this. Watch out.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 08, 2014
@Nihilist you should have told hi to listen to Damian Marly ft Nas's "Patience" if he were looking for intellectual content. Infact, i have never heard such intellect in RnB, or any other kind of mainstream music @Mad Cow likes!

He talked about gender. But the truth is Rap is the only kind of music (to the best of my knowledge) that has addressed gender issues more than any mainstream music. Rap has not only addressed girls issues, it has also addressed Boys issues too - the only music to have done that. Bone Thugs' "Not My Baby" readily comes to mind here.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 12:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: is better you dnt continue with this kind of mentality, you can equally ask yourself even if those artist at their peak are to pay all the tvs or radios for their music to be played everyday for fame will they gain anything from the album sells ? These ar the kind of mentality that bring kennis music down up to this days, make good music 1st bro! Make ur rap tyte... Try ur best make ever lasting rap song , can u tell me how many tyms most tupac song that as bein recycle since 90s brought bk to markets ? I understand you very well but medias are not to be blame for their lazy ass at all!
Very valuable advice. Nigerian artistes should have a broader picture in mind for their music. They should think of how to export their art. That way, they'll be forced to step up their game.

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by JEITO: 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

Perhaps you're alluding to the mainstream. However, real hip-hop/rap lives in the underground now. There are so many great underground rappers, but the problem is that they're too dark for the mainstream, and a lot of them also don't know how to make great music. To get radio-play, you have to be able to turn great rap into great music. Also, the politics, and the Jews who control the mainstream are the ones killing the culture. The society at large is also very dumb - and most times people have to dumb-it-down to be all to relate to the mainstream.

That said, there are still a few great rappers out there killing the mainstream. Kendrick Lamar, Ab Soul, Schoolboy Q, Drake(when he's rapping), Wale, J.Cole, Meek Mills, A$AP Rocky and the mob, Joey Bada$$ etc.. And a lot of the old school rappers are also still dropping bangers.

Gangstar rap is still alive...YG, Nipsey, and Troy Ave.
u might be right there but I don't want to blame the jews or politics. The truth Is that people's preferences have changed. Besides rap/hiphop have so much to do with black movement for acceptance or recognition as 1st class citizens also: a move that is no longer being pursued. Like u rightly said, some of the biggest names in rap today need to adultrate their music for it to gain acceptance. Therefore, there're no real hardcore rappers in mainstream(A-list) artiste anymore
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by highmey(m): 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2014
I guess what the Op meant to be a real rap is "Hardcore or Gangsta Rap"... wink

The truth is, its going into gradual extinction because the kinda music selling is "Club/Banging/dance-hall kinda of music. Nigeria market and people don't appreciate those kinda music, also, the culture caused it (my opinion).

That's why people like Mod.e 9, Rugge.d Man, T. Da. Rapman and rest have mellowed.

If you also notice, Olami.de at times switch between Hardcore rap to a soft ones (even at times do some R&B and Pop), so he can gain some share in Nigeria music market.

Well, as for me, i still listen to "Real Rap" (or Hardcore rap) but they all foreign (pardon me) embarassed
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 12:12pm On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: I guess you know u're just saying this base on the kind of environment you expose to .. ? Right ... Go nd check history of those that make good rap music and real hiphop before jumping into this argument with me... How much did those dancing tune tunes we see this days sell? How much are they making ? Dnt let them carry you away with all thos pakaging videos is all lies! Just check history of how much those that make good rap music sells base on debut or singles first then let's start from there!

Yes bro...its all based on the environment...we're refering to Naija here...Whats ur sales statistics like when u make dat comparison in Naija? remember dat the OP is worried about it's extinction in NAIJA...R u saying that real rap & hiphop sells better than gibberish here in Naija? If i'd quote u, u said.. "good rap music still sells any tym any day, is not just easy to find one this days!"[....why?? cos they dont sell....simple...not cos they lack quality....they just lack adequate sustainable fans... Fans= popularity and Popularity = Sales.

Im sure u wont have said They are hard to find if they make as much as u say they do...

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Anacksunamun: 12:12pm On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
BRO U JUst nailed it..Phenom was like "i Gat a Chick CV for a BL0w job"i just drop cap for the dude.
Young6 is even better. cause that export lyrics was really incredible...
he was like "i was made for this sh|t,u can call me diper" coll huh
phenom really need to be recognized, cause he's always representing... unlike ice..
i listened to TEARS FOR NAIJA
had to check if it was really done by iceprince...
WtF...dude was like.."if na ur sister i bomb, how u go feel..i for don follow the battalion "cant recall the exact words buh it was so wack compared to
Ashes by Mi abaga..

You just made me spill my tea. grin. Phenom even spit "if Hip Hop is dead, there's an ATMOSPHERE FOR MIRACLE"

In short, lemme bring up some M.I verse on that song. Here you go:

I’m killing everything I’m on, I guess I’m suicidal
While I rock from Lag to Murci, call it a Murcielago
I’m tryna find some competition, like it’s gone missing
Luke, Mark my words, I’m not the John you piss on
Illegal Music, Nigger gotta speak with conviction
Haters see me and get wound because they’re dying to cheer
I swear the game is ’bout advantage men, if I ain’t appear
It’s like ma money grow on trees and I ain’t tryna share
Most of these niggers and success have a dying affair
And when I’m talking ’bout PJs men, I’m flying Alair
They didn’t use to send M but now, it’s like they texting and pressing
The rest got him bored, like a guest dinner
Tickle the Clint, I put my Eastwood in her Westend
And North side headed for my Southpole
Mouth all over till a max hole
I’m just chilling making millions, getting different numbers thrown at me, like a dice roll
When I’m in the club, I handle bars like a bicycle
Niggers tryna simulate my flyness, They in flight school
These niggers of mine, so wanna fail, I’m a maestro

Can anyone show me a verse of Ice Prince with such nice lyricism? Just one song!! M.I verse on that song is loaded with enough bullets to end Ice Prince's career.

Here's some of Phenom's own:

I know you’re broke but please Pay attention
So old in this game, I should be paper paid in pension
I go harder than eréction
I bring rappers depression
I’m spitting on bars like pregnant chicks during detention
And I ma make it rain, fùck the global recession
I’m not saying I’m the best, but who else brings perfection
I’m the right answer to a pop in a question
And, you are just a pain in the butt, like injection
Edo boy with the Las Gidi attitude
I stack dolls in line and i ain’t talking barbie queue
Babalawo flow, Things are ’bout to go spiritual
Hip-Hop was dead but here’s an atmosphere for miracle
Rappers looking edible, I’m a lyrical cannibal
It’s dinner time and I’m dining with the Incredible, Mister
We topping the lista
O Boy, if you dey hate, jump out the window, I ain’t talking Vista
Flows is an ad to let you know that I’m a don, I’m just wondering o…
Running Gidi O
Spitting Ili flow with ma Ili bro
Make da green like the CEO
In the dark, you gon’ see me glow
Rappers get Lost like TV Show
For reali O, I’m illi bro
I’ll never Back Down ‘cos I am not a fan of Gidigbo
I’m on the throne baby, you just a Prom King
Like Michael Jackson, you’re fùcking with the wrong kid
So better lean back, and watch your nigger stay fat
Phenomous phobia, I leave rappers with the stage fright
Skinny jeans donned but ma pockets stay fat
By June next year, I’ll be tryna get my Maybach
T-square rappers, They got me so board
I got a chick’s CV from a blów job
Just read impecabble lyrics!! There's NO ice prince's songs with a quarter of such wordplays and metaphors as found in this song 6foot rmx by M.I and Phenom

It's a shame that BET called up Ice Prince to represent us. Anyone that calls Ice Prince a rapper, is a deadbeat ignoramus to sane rapheads!!

T-square rappers, They got me so board - Phenom cool
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 12:14pm On Jul 08, 2014
TyTymer:
Hmmm. Anything that appeals to an intended audience successfully is no longer trash.

Hip hop, at inception, was seen as trash by the connoisseurs of "organized" and "structured" music in America. But the target audience was "the street" and because of that orientation, Hip Hop succeeded. It was created by the street and for it.

I've given up trying (in my mind) to organize naija commercial music into proper structure. It is largely, musical chaos but the street (it's intended audience) accepts it wholeheartedly. Even Radio and Tv music channels love it.

In summary, it has (as 9ce would say) street credibility.

Point...i guess therez a thin line rily btw Thrash & Street Credibility..
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 12:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx: Can someone please name all decent naij rappers?

I dunno man, the ones I've listened to don't even know what a 16 is...they don't use metaphors and similes...all they do is rhyme. And perhaps in M.I's case throw some vocabs in there. That's about it. Rap isn't just about rhyming. grin

I believe they all need to go study "The Art of Rap" and get back to the basics.

fam go get some dose of modenine, pheriouz,terry da rapman ,6 foot plus, overdose and maybe vector sha.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 12:16pm On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: is better you dnt continue with this kind of mentality, you can equally ask yourself even if those artist at their peak are to pay all the tvs or radios for their music to be played everyday for fame will they gain anything from the album sells ? These ar the kind of mentality that bring kennis music down up to this days, make good music 1st bro! Make ur rap tyte... Try ur best make ever lasting rap song , can u tell me how many tyms most tupac song that as bein recycle since 90s brought bk to markets ? I understand you very well but medias are not to be blame for their lazy ass at all!

You're arguing from the perspective of a music fan so you wouldn't understand it. See you later.

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
@Topic, the only reason rap doesnt sell as much as the trash we hear everywhere is becos it doesnt get as much airwave. Hitler's propagandist understood the human mind so well when he said "Repeat a thing again and again and people will begin to Believe/like it" (i actually modified the quote).

I remember all when these trash started hiting the airwaves. Many ppl didnt like it at the time instead Styl Plus' "Olufunmi" was what ppl were interested in. All of a suden, lazy artistes started showing up everywhere. They flooded their music on the airwaves and before you knew it, ppl started liking it.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 12:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
oluamid:

Well, rap, just as with everything else appeals to taste. you may like the "bling bling bubble gum wrap" kinda rap while someone else may like "real rap". Rap is subjective.

I love Modenine's brand of rap.

By the way, listen to Upside Down by modenine ft Nnena Omali, and tell us how you feel.

brotherly that joint is do....per than dope. as in the way he crafted the Nigerian problem into one verse is just way too amazing.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 08, 2014
JEITO: u might be right there but I don't want to blame the jews or politics. The truth Is that people's preferences have changed. Besides rap/hiphop have so much to do with black movement for acceptance or recognition as 1st class citizens also: a move that is no longer being pursued. Like u rightly said, some of the biggest names in rap today need to adultrate their music for it to gain acceptance. Therefore, there're no real hardcore rappers in mainstream(A-list) artiste anymore

C'mon the jews killed the mainstream, by exploiting the culture. Dame Dash has been calling them out for a few months now, especially Lyor Cohen. They promoted all the beefs, and the crap we've got in the mainstream now. They run the show. Chuck'D also called them out a few weeks ago.

Also, "preference" in this context is about the sound you're used to and once you keep hearing the same sound all the time, it's going to grow on you. That's what the mainstream does: subconsciously make you like crap music and create that reality. Do you honestly think women love guys saying, "these bit.ches aren't loyal?" However, because the sound has grown on them, when that tune comes on, you'll see women jumping, miming, and dancing to it. That's what it does to people subconsciously.

Rap is a culture...and the fact that all of us in this generation have made it part of our daily lingo and twangs, and the way we all dress urban - show it's part of all of us. However, the only aspect that's missing is the real sound dominating the mainstream.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / Download Old And Fresh Nigeria Songs All For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.