Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US (33987 Views)

Federal High Court Judge Overrules Supreme Court over Sacked Anambra Lawmakers. / National Assembly Management Asks Lawmakers To Vacate Offices Today / Buhari's Ministers,Lawmakers To Get N9bn Housing,furniture Allowance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by abu12: 1:04pm On Jul 08, 2014
Okechukwu Obeta— July 8, 2014

Both the executive and legislative arms of the Anambra State government have literally been relocated to the United States of America, barely few months after Chief Willie Obiano, elected on the platform of All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) succeeded Chief Peter Obi of the same political party.

For the eight years that Obi presided over the affairs of the state reputed for producing eminent personalities such as Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, both of them now late, and Dr Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme, former vice president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Obi never contemplated the luxury of organising an overseas trip for the legislators.
Not a few described the ex-governor as tight-fisted, hence his refusal to send the state legislators even to the nearby Republic of Benin. But that is not to say that the legislators who operated during Obi’s regime did not enjoy one patronage or the other from the executive arm of government.

And apparently determined to prove that his generosity exceeds that of late Chief M. K. O. Abiola, acclaimed winner of the controversial June 12, 1993 presidential election, Mr Obiano, on June 28, 2014, gave 30 members of Anambra State House of Assembly the leeway to use public funds to travel to the United States of America.

The governor was said to have joined the team in America a few days later.
Sources say the legislators led by the speaker of the state Assembly, Princess Chinwe Nwaebili, would be in America for one week, but the lawmakers may likely overstay their welcome given the allure and ambience which the country offers to visitors from African countries, particularly Nigeria, where life is suffocating and unbearable.

Though all efforts by LEADERSHIP to obtain the official reason why the governor and the lawmakers travelled to the US failed as both the chief press secretary to the speaker, Mr Fidelis Nwakwesili and the special assistant to the governor on media, Mr Emeka Ezumba, claimed that they were not briefed by their bosses, not a few people in the state have criticised the governor and the lawmakers for the overseas trip.
Many described the trip as a jamboree that certainly would not add value to the development of the state.
For instance, a former member of the state Assembly, Hon Vincent Atuigwe (Ekwusigo constituency), was emphatic that the lawmakers went on a “jamboree” that would give them an opportunity to squander the state’s funds.
He reasoned that if the trip was meant to avail the state lawmakers an opportunity of learning the American legislative system, it did not require all of them to go in one fell swoop.

He said: “If the purpose of their going to America was to go and learn the American legislative system, the whole 30 of them shouldn’t have gone. Only a few should have been selected to go and when they come back, they will teach others. For all of them to go to America shows that they are on a jamboree, just to go and squander the money of the state. I don’t see anything the state will benefit from that trip. It’s a waste”.
Also reacting, a former chairman, Awka North local government council, Chief Dennis Ngene, described the trip as “unjustifiable”. He stated that for the whole 30 legislators to travel to the US means that they have relocated the state Assembly to that country. Besides, he stated that the trip will certainly eat deep into the treasury of the state government.
Others who spoke to LEADERSHIP wondered why sponsoring the lawmakers’ overseas trip should be a priority of the state government now, considering the fact that the administration is barely 100 days in office, and as such, is yet to establish a strong hold on the mechanisms of the government, especially as it concerns the financial status, more so that the government claims that it is passing through difficulties because of lean financial status.

The chief of staff to the governor, Professor Joseph Asike, whose office allegedly coordinated the lawmakers’ overseas trip, denied when contacted that his office had anything to do with the state legislators’ trip. He argued that the legislature is independent of the executive arm of government, operates its own budget and runs the affairs of its members without recourse to the executive.

A source who pleaded anonymity also said, “Governor Willie Obiano sponsored them (legislators) to travel to America. So, I am now asking: What is the benefit of their going to America to the people of Anambra State if not to go and waste the money of the state”?
About two weeks ago, the national chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh, during the flag-off of contract for the construction of three fly-overs on Enugu-Onitsha Expressway, warned non-APGA members in the Assembly that unless they take necessary political decisions early enough, next year’s general election might elude them.

During his eight-year rule, Obi was widely criticised for being frugal to a fault. It was believed that his refusal to dole out money to the state legislators led to his impeachment barely three months after he was sworn in as governor of the state.
For instance, many political observers strongly believe that virtually all other strong political parties in the state, including the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), All Progressives Congress (APC), Progressive People’s Alliance (PPA) and Labour Party (LP) would have gone extinct during the eight-year reign of former Governor Obi if not for his tight-fisted nature.

So, due to the frugal nature of the former governor, most of the seasoned politicians in the state refused to defect to the ruling All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA). As a result, what really sustained the grip of APGA on the state’s jugular was the mass followership which it commanded due to the massive infrastructural achievements recorded by the ex-governor in almost all the communities in the state, including the state capital, Awka, Nnewi and Onitsha.
And to ensure that the programmes and achievements of the administration were popularised among the populace, the former governor co-opted the town union leadership made up of the traditional rulers and presidents-general of the 178 communities in the state as part of the administration, and accorded it the status of a fourth-tier government.

It is strongly believed in political circles that Governor Obiano had been advised that one of the ways to endear his administration to the people of the state, especially politicians is to prove to them that in addition to providing the much needed dividends of democracy, he should be able to put smiles on the faces of people by not being as tight-fisted as his predecessor.

LEADERSHIP gathered that the governor was advised that the only way APGA would win overwhelmingly in the 2015 general elections in the state, especially the 30 seats in the state Assembly, is to prove that he will patronise politicians unlike his predecessor.
A source close to Government House, Awka, said that while in America, the governor and the lawmakers would hold meetings to strategise on how APGA will win the State Assembly and National Assembly elections in the state in 2015.

It is believed that the legislators who are interested in returning to the House next year would be given automatic tickets to contest on the platform of APGA. The arrangement is most likely to frustrate plans by the rival PDP to win substantial votes in the state during next year’s general elections.
http://leadership.ng/news/377190/gov-obiano-took-30-anambra-lawmakers-us

2 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by abu12: 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
That oga that bear @chino should try and post the house member picture on nairaland when they come back from their trip.

4 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by ebamma(m): 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2014
and your source is?

3 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nazeer ibrahim from Dutse how far now, i know you in FB and now you come here to spew garbbage, anything about Igbos give you heavy 0rgasm

abu12: That oga that bear @chino should try and post the house member picture on nairaland when they come back from their trip.

26 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by abu12: 1:36pm On Jul 08, 2014
OkijaAmaka: Nazeer ibrahim from Dutse how far now, i know you in FB and now you come here to spew garbbage, anything about Igbos give you heavy 0rgasm

I just want to give u something to deal with because Ur hatred for north and muslim is too much, by the way am not ibrahim. Ur leader are using tax payer money to enjoy them self and u are here insulting northern, what our leader did then is happen in ur area now

29 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
[size=18pt]Sorry nobody loves tribalistic bigots and terrorists...i have many Yorubas who happened to be muslims; many of them for crying out loud, we argue, we disagree to agree but non of them have ever threatened me with a dagger or used foul words on me, no wonder you clowns call them inferior Muslims because they are not in the leagues of throat slicing Gambarinistans.[/size]

abu12:

I just want to give something to deal with because Ur hatred for north and muslim is too much, by the way am not ibrahim

77 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by shizzleStar: 2:08pm On Jul 08, 2014
cool
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by ojimbo(m): 2:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
abeg make sure that you brought back the system of town planing, am tired of this anambra state

5 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Chino72: 2:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
Aljharam kedu? cheesy

ojimbo: abeg make sure that you brought back the system of town planing, am tired of this anambra state

2 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by ojimbo(m): 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2014
Chino72: Aljharam kedu? cheesy

nwanne udo ma akwa, kedu ka osi ada?

1 Like

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Chino72: 3:02pm On Jul 08, 2014
Udo di! Kedu ebe i no n Nnewi? Achorom I bia fu gi!

ojimbo: nwanne udo ma akwa, kedu ka osi ada?
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Ohjerry: 3:31pm On Jul 08, 2014
And apparently determined to prove that his generosity exceeds that of late Chief M. K. O. Abiola
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by billante(m): 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
ojimbo: abeg make sure that you brought back the system of town planing, am tired of this anambra state

I think Your english should also be brought back!

11 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by ojimbo(m): 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
Chino72: Udo di! Kedu ebe i no n Nnewi? Achorom I bia fu gi!

apasam na ime amudo, akaboukwu uruagu nah, ginwa kwanu?

1 Like

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Chino72: 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
Email me here biko nwanne: chino.dyke@yahoo.com

It will be my honor to meet you! Email me so we can exchange contacts!

ojimbo: apasam na ime amudo, akaboukwu uruagu nah, ginwa kwanu?
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by ojimbo(m): 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
billante:

I think Your english should also be brought back!
thanks, dont quote me next time

2 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by ojimbo(m): 4:12pm On Jul 08, 2014
Chino72: Email me here biko nwanne: chino.dyke@yahoo.com

It will be my honor to meet you! Email me so we can exchange contacts!

udo, mmesia nah
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by ednut1(m): 4:14pm On Jul 08, 2014
nothing new
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by farano(f): 4:14pm On Jul 08, 2014
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by emaboi(m): 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
That akward moment

17 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by tiamiyukunle69(m): 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
Sharp guy. He has poured water on the ground so that he can tread on wet ground. Besides they should not blame him if he fails to deliver as his predecessor.

4 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 08, 2014
anambra people do not know what they have done to themselves. obaino would be worse than TA orji.

3 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by henryobinna(m): 4:17pm On Jul 08, 2014
long news
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by dridowu: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
Save journey
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Jostico: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
wati he go find?
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by wellmax(m): 4:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
Its called Largess,
Dividends of democracy.
Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by tpia5: 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
later some people will say they dont want to be born in nigeria.

i wonder which other country enjoys better dividends from politics.

6 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
What are you still doing in anambra state? All your collegues have left. They are now in Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Port Harcourt etc. The dare devils among them are now notorious drug/cocaine barons in Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, South Africa, China etc

Nothing good can come out of anambra state! Leave anambra state now !!!

Anambra adigo Mma cheesycheesy

18 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Nnewi1stSon: 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
I understand Obiano's urge to endear the lawmakers to himself and win them over, but sponsoring them all to the US was totally way of the mark of decency and prudence. He could have given them Innoson SUVs or something, this is completely wasteful for a man who just spent 100 days in office!

4 Likes

Re: Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
long live our able governor....
willie is working!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

President Buhari Arrives Nigeria From China (photos) / DSS Asks Buhari To Prosecute Oshiomhole For Making Millions Of Dollars From APC / Amotekun Backed By Thorsten Frei, German Lawmaker (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.