Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries (62760 Views)

NGO To Empower 154 Commercial Sex Workers In Gombe State (photo) / NMA On Assualt/attack Of Doctors At Their Duty Post / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by ziga: 1:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
prettyprettywow: NMA starts at level 12 after NYSC, tell me any civil servant that starts at that? so what other relativity are we talking about? Until you start paying higher fees than others in school, then DO NOT TALK!!

And what is wrong with that?

As long as the wages he deserves corresponds to the wages earned by a Level 12 officer, there is nothing wrong with that.

Or would you prefer, that they be paid at level 1?

If that happened, do you think there will be any Doctors left practicing in the Nigerian health system?

Let us try to be non-sentimental about our judgement.

3 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sagamite:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

MO GBE! (I AM IN TORUBLE!)

E GBA WA O! (SOMEONE SAVE US)!

I just found out ArabianPrince is also a Nigerian qualified doctor! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Our lives are in the hands of people who used "Highest Average" in their statistical studies in Nigerian medical schools. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Chei!

Chei!

CHEEEEEEEEEEIII!

DARISGODOOOOOOO!

And I was complaining about people without academic bckground who misuse scientific research and statistics because they do not even know how to read them. undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by agabaI23(m): 1:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
tyav7: Pass your WAEC and JAMB, get admitted into a med school, study medicine and graduate as a MEDICAL DOCTOR if you can. Stop hating DOCTORS!!!
Let us see your WAEC result. Dare tell us what you scored in JAMB?

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by ArabianPrince: 1:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sagamite:

person, what I asked you was to tell us what "highest average" is.

Moronic person!

Now TELL US sharp sharp. grin grin grin grin grin

Haha....You have added another vocab to your new found word...."Moronic f..ucktard. Lol.
It's shows you are non- trainable, non-educable with a porous brain.

Ex-Janitor...failed asylum seeker claiming to be a consultant. You still have 18 yrs to go....out of the 20yrs.
I will not go on exchanging post with you...not my thing.
But before I leave you to your miserable Uk life spiced with frustration. For all I care..You can stick your hands in your anus....smell it. That is what you are. Stinking Blinkng Ass.
Before you quote me.... Get a life. You are Ignored. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Sagamite(m): 2:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
ArabianPrince:

Haha....You have added another vocab to your new found word...."Moronic f..ucktard. Lol.
It's shows you are non- trainable, non-educable with a porous brain.

Ex-Janitor...failed asylum seeker claiming to be a consultant. You still have 18 yrs to go....out of the 20yrs.
I will not go on exchanging post with you...not my thing.
But before I leave you to your miserable Uk life spiced with frustration. For all I care..You can stick your hands in your anus....smell it. That is what you are. Stinking Blinkng Ass.
Before you quote me.... Get a life. You are Ignored. grin grin grin

person, teach us what Highest Average is now. grin grin grin grin grin

Doctor Coffin!

I bet you have investment in the company of the local coffin maker? grin

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sagamite:

He is a Doctor, but I, who lives on "British Credit System" (as out Nigerian Doctor referred to it grin grin grin grin ), know more about patient care than he does. grin grin grin grin grin

A person that cannot even research what the welfare system in the UK is called is a DOCTOR in Nigeria. How is he going to research diseases and ailments? undecided

That is why ..............

http://www.punchng.com/news/life-expectancy-in-nigeria-17th-lowest-globally-report/

He does not have to research anything. The average person in Nigeria will believe him anything. He just have to present some staistics, even if they are made up, completely unreliable and invalid, not to mention unrepresentative. Why bother? Life can be so easy.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by ziga: 2:03pm On Jul 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Of course the cost is shared by all working people in Germany. This is what makes it cheap and affordable for a single person. And yet, they will ask you if you are ok with the quality of a hospital.

That is what happens in places where their leaders care about the health of their people.

Well... In the past, cars didn't even have seatbelts. But these days you have cars with 16 airbags.

Nigeria's health system is still in the stone ages because the health system clearly is run by people who have no interest in improving the quality of life for Nigerians.

In Nigeria, we can't be bothered with quality of care yet when we don't have enough Docs and the few we have are being enticed by foreign countries that appreciate them.

Our children are dying from malaria and disabled by polio and our mothers are dying in childbirth.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 13, 2014
phantom: grin grin...........there I was thinking shymexx was the worst there is. wow.

Phantom-brain, why did you name-drop my handle in this crap?

You're a bi.tch and a cornball. You jock me everywhere in this byt.ch, you slimy phag with a phantom-brain.

Stop jocking me, byt.ch! undecided
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 13, 2014
ziga:

That is what happens in places where their leaders care about the health of their people.

Well... In the past, cars didn't even have seatbelts. But these days you have cars with 16 airbags.

Nigeria's health system is still in the stone ages because the health system clearly is run by people who have no interest in improving the quality of life for Nigerians.

In Nigeria, we can't be bothered with quality of care yet when we don't have enough Docs and the few we have are being enticed by foreign countries that appreciate them.

Our children are dying from malaria and disabled by polio and our mothers are dying in childbirth.

It is tragic, heartbreaking and depressing but this is what happens when a people lack ethics. The leaders attitudes are the cause but also the symptom of a people who lack ethics and respect for humanity.
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Gabygaby: 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
phantom: consultants are paid heavily in the US but what of their colleagues here.
.....and I have no problem with resident doctors earning less than other health workers BUT you must also remember they are temporary staff unlike the others who are permanent.
CONSULTANT IN NIGERIA EVEN CHARGE MORE THAN US,HAVE YOU OR UR RELATION BEEN TO ANY NIGERIA HOSPITAL WHERE CONSULTANT IS REQUIRED IN YOUR CASE? a consultant in Maitama general hospital Abuja charge us 300,000.00 naira just to handle a bone fracture ,( one leg) this outside hospital bill that took about 200,000 naira again. Majority of Doctor in Nigeria are too greedy .every one of them want to have a private hospital,no one want to serve the nation. under this development,are they not paid well? and even they do not, do they deserve pity hence their poor service and lack of commitment? I personally doubt if they do until they change.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by prettyprettywow: 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
Another blame the nurse post. later they will claim that they are the once that get sued. A typical Naija Dr will never ever own up to his mistake
thegeneral84:
Just to correct this impression. I'm not trying to blame any field, but if ever an instrument is left inside a patient after surgery, it's the fault of the circulating Nurse. The Doctor concentrates on the surgery proper. Its the work of the circulating Nurse to ensure that the number of instruments at the beginning of the surgery is the same number at the end. When the surgery is done and the patient is to be closed up, the Nurse has to give them the go-ahead that all instruments are complete before they close up the patient. So if an instrument is left inside a patient, it's the circulating Nurse that made the mistake. In such situations, have you heard the Doctor saying it's the Nurse's fault? He would accept the blame for the team because he is the "face" of the team

4 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by ACM10: 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
It will be a sacrilege for a nurse to earn more than a doctor. When their skills, competence and training are not the same. Doctors were trained with an expanded curriculum, while nurses were trained with a narrowed curriculum. For heaven sake, why on earth must nurses salary be on par with that of doctors? Has anybody bothered to compare the curriculum both used in training? Let me make it known here that some of the nurses actually failed out from medical school. So why must Nigerians reward intellectual laziness? Doctors deserve everything they are getting. Passing through medical school is tough.
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by uc97: 2:10pm On Jul 13, 2014
Most of u abuse & accuse doctors of this or that yet when u get to the hospital u don't ask to see the nurse,the pharmacist,the radiographer, the porter,or any other hospital worker but the doctors.
This is like biting the hand that fed u.
Shame on u pple.

4 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by prettyprettywow: 2:10pm On Jul 13, 2014
so we already have the relativity we are talking about? so what is now the problem?
ziga:

And what is wrong with that?

As long as the wages he deserves corresponds to the wages earned by a Level 12 officer, there is nothing wrong with that.

Or would you prefer, that they be paid at level 1?

If that happened, do you think there will be any Doctors left practicing in the Nigerian health system?

Let us try to be non-sentimental about our judgement.
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sagamite:

person, teach us what Highest Average is now. grin grin grin grin grin

Doctor Coffin!

I bet you have investment in the company of the local coffin maker? grin

Doctor Coffin undecided This is scary. embarassed

As to investment, Nigerians are very creative when it comes to business wink Why work hard?

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Sagamite(m): 2:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
ziga:

Abeg, no dey talk opata!

Improve what?

If you are not happy, call your lawyers and sue! grin grin grin

Your child na the first to die? Would he be the last to die? So what is your problem, you bloody slave of the British Credit System? grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by phantom(m): 2:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
Gabygaby: CONSULTANT IN NIGERIA EVEN CHARGE MORE THAN US,HAVE YOU OR UR RELATION BEEN TO ANY NIGERIA HOSPITAL WHERE CONSULTANT IS REQUIRED IN YOUR CASE? a consultant in Garki general hospital Abuja charge us 300,000.00 naira just to handle a bone fracture ,( one leg) this outside hospital bill that took about 200,000 naira again. Majority of Doctor in Nigeria are too greedy .every one of them want to have a private hospital,no one want to serve the nation. under this development,are they not paid well? and even they do not, do they deserve pity hence their poor service and lack of commitment? I personally doubt if they do until they change.
if hes a consultant orthopaedic surgeon, 300k is even too small for an ORIF procedure

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by IdomaLikita: 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

A relative was released from a German hospital on Friday. The hospital management gave us an evaluation sheet to rank the staff, doctors and nurses, cleanliness, friendliness, treatment and so on and so forth. We were even asked to make suggestions as to what can be done better in the future. And all this even though we didn't pay anything except for the monthly insurance, which is quite cheap.

It is totally unfair for any "person"(with kind permission from Emperor Sagamite the Great) to come here and Chastise the Drs without even Reading the complete Demands of the NMA. More than 10 valid demands were raised and Relativity of Salary is just ONE of several. The so-called Insurance you mentioned is captioned in the NMA Demands! They clamour for 100% insurance cover for all Nigerians for christ sake, I remember how the NMA single-handedly fought for the NHIS (which covers about 30% of Nigerians now) and got it. Too bad, the same Nigerians who are beneficiaries of this struggle now join to call Drs villains!
NMA calls for a Total Infrastructural Overhaul of Nigerian Hospitals, before going to work, yet Nigerians hate them for asking for this! Nobody knows how sad it is to lose a Patient because of lack of Oxygen in the Tanks or absence of DC-converters or even AMBU bags!

In Nigeria, the Govt is the largest provider of Healthcare to its citizens, thus MUST be held accountable for the decay! We are complaining about the decay in Urban centers, how about our rural centers (where 70% of Nigerians source Healthcare), who is speaking for them? The NMA.

Who amongst the Posters here have gone to St. Nicholas, Premium, etc and received Sub-optimal treatment? Are these not in Nigeria? Are they not listed in the NHIS? Are the Drs and Support staff there Expatriates? Is there any Rancour?

It is sad that JOHESU wishes to dwell more on the issue of pay and title which to me is egocentric! Present additional Qualification and Claim your Pay! Nobody would stop that!
I HAVE ALWAYS HELD A SENIOR MATRON IN AWE because I know she embodies experience which has bailed us out of a lot of situations together!
However, A thousand years of experience as an MBBS holder cannot make you a consultant! You must write gruelling Post-graduate exams and PASS them before holding that title! If NCNM. or the PFN had pursued this goals individually as professional bodies, they might have stood a chance! But lumping up with CHEWS, Records Staff, Cleaners etc simply portrayed their move as a Money-driven one!

Either way, all parties should solve the Impasse ASAP abeg! Politicians are getting fatter from scavenging the corpse of Dying Nigerians!

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by phantom(m): 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
shymexx:

Phantom-brain, why did you name-drop my handle in this crap?

You're a bi.tch and a cornball. You jock me everywhere in this byt.ch, you slimy phag with a phantom-brain.

Stop jocking me, byt.ch! undecided

grin...... and my man shows up! sorry bro. sagamites stupidity called you out.what up "fam" grin....long time no read.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by thegeneral84: 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
prettyprettywow: NMA starts at level 12 after NYSC, tell me any civil servant that starts at that? so what other relativity are we talking about? Until you start paying higher fees than others in school, then DO NOT TALK!!
If you just had enough patience to try and find out the fees paid in Nigerian Universities, you will see that medical students pay at least double what other students pay. This is in a public university that is supposedly subsidised by the govt. The fee difference in private universities is even more. I challenge you to tell me the Nigerian University where medical students pay the same fee as other courses.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Abraham2013(m): 2:17pm On Jul 13, 2014
phantom: but its the doctor that still gets sued in Nigeria.not the nurse.not the pharmacist.
Come which bush dey dey talk all dis nonsense wey u dey talk self? Am guessing sambisa forest. Who told dat nurses and other practitioners r not sued in nigeria? Abi na ur name dey 4 dere license? Abi na NMDC dey issue everybody license for the whole medical profession?
Word of advice, if u know wetin u go talk, u blow whistle.

3 Likes

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by phantom(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2014
IdomaLikita:

It is totally unfair for any "person"(with kind permission from Emperor Sagamite the Great) to come here and Chastise the Drs without even Reading the complete Demands of the NMA. More than 10 valid demands were raised and Relativity of Salary is just ONE of several. The so-called Insurance you mentioned is captioned in the NMA Demands! They clamour for 100% insurance cover for all Nigerians for christ sake, I remember how the NMA single-handedly fought for the NHIS (which covers about 30% of Nigerians now) and got it. Too bad, the same Nigerians who are beneficiaries of this struggle now join to call Drs villains!
NMA calls for a Total Infrastructural Overhaul of Nigerian Hospitals, before going to work, yet Nigerians hate them for asking for this! Nobody knows how sad it is to lose a Patient because of lack of Oxygen in the Tanks or absence of DC-converters or even AMBU bags!

In Nigeria, the Govt is the largest provider of Healthcare to its citizens, thus MUST be held accountable for the decay! We are complaining about the decay in Urban centers, how about our rural centers (where 70% of Nigerians source Healthcare), who is speaking for them? The NMA.

Who amongst the Posters here have gone to St. Nicholas, Premium, etc and received Sub-optimal treatment? Are these not in Nigeria? Are they not listed in the NHIS? Are the Drs and Support staff there Expatriates? Is there any Rancour?

It is sad that JOHESU wishes to dwell more on the issue of pay and title which to me is egocentric! Present additional Qualification and Claim your Pay! Nobody would stop that!
I HAVE ALWAYS HELD A SENIOR MATRON IN AWE because I know she embodies experience which has bailed us out of a lot of situations together!
However, A thousand years of experience as an MBBS holder cannot make you a consultant! You must write gruelling Post-graduate exams and PASS them before holding that title! If NCNM. or the PFN had pursued this goals individually as professional bodies, they might have stood a chance! But lumping up with CHEWS, Records Staff, Cleaners etc simply portrayed their move as a Money-driven one!

Either way, all parties should solve the Impasse ASAP abeg! Politicians are getting fatter from scavenging the corpse of Dying Nigerians!
BULLSEYE!!
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by phantom(m): 2:19pm On Jul 13, 2014
Abraham2013:
Come which bush dey dey talk all dis nonsense wey u dey talk self? Am guessing sambisa forest. Who told dat nurses and other practitioners r not sued in nigeria? Abi na ur name dey 4 dere license? Abi na NMDC dey issue everybody license for the whole medical profession?
Word of advice, if u know wetin u go talk, u blow whistle.
no vex bros! provide Link.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 13, 2014
IdomaLikita:

I am 100 % sure Sagamite knows the role the government plays in this mess, so do I but I side with him when a so-called doctor makes comments he NEVER should.
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by adebriana(f): 2:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
@ OP,u can't compare d salaries of health workers in nigeria with their foreign counterparts cos the systems are different...in the Us for example medical doctors spend @ least 12 yrs in school compared to d 6 yrs education in Nigeria and spend much more cash dan those in Nigerian Med schools and the standard of living in the US is higher than that in Nigeria...so there's no need for comparison

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by ArabianPrince: 2:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
SagaShit....Lol. Yelling moronic person.

I live in the UK and I have been working in Janitor roles most of my career of about 3.5 years.I am contemplating the opportunity of moving back to Nigeria and working in errand running within any industry.My questions are:
1) Is this seen as an important and elite function in Nigeria as it is in UK?
2) What is the Salary range I should be looking at for this function and at what grade should I accept from recruiters?(N.B: I have done this for blue chip firms. Please ; any opinion on this should indicate what industry (if possible, the company) the figures you are quoting are for)
3) Which industries are vacancies likely to be available in?Considering that am not educable or trainable.
4) I am only a drop out No Waec, BSc. No Masters, MBA or Phd but with the reputation of the firms that have recruited me in this janitor positions in the UK, I find lack of these qualifications has been no major hinderance for me in the UK. Would lack of these be an issue in Nigeria?
5) What are the work hours like for janitors/errand staff officials in Nigeria?.

Having fun..... grin
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by DrObum(m): 2:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
prettyprettywow: but agree that those are the salaries of consultants that you are comparing to an entry level nurse. That resident doctors earn as little as 45k in US unlike here in Nigeria that they want to earn more than their employers. That it takes them years to pay the student loan + interest. That they also pay heavy malpractice insurance unlike nurses. So all those are considered when issues about salaries are handled in US. here, Drs go to school wnd pay same fee with others, yet they want to earn like US Drs .
Please which Nigerian university did you attend where you paid the same fees with a medical student?
Go back and check, there's no where that medical school cost the same as other tertiary institutions.
And the fact that we don't operate a loan system doesn't mean people didn't work out their salvation trying to get trained in medical school!

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by phantom(m): 2:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sagamite:

Rubbish!

Ask phantom, that is the fault of the patient.

If the patient does not agree to this, let them sue.

Such cannot be the fault of the medical staff because these things (as ArabianPrince would tell you), on highest average, happens to patients in Nigeria.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

LWTMB! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Saga, you are a wicked baaastard!
grin.....you throw insults around,wait ,when nobody hails you, you hail yourself...grin.
I hope to God you are not married. if you are,she's indeed a widow.
pissed at my chickeny $1,500 monthly salary because you probably earn the same working your usual daily 3 or 4 low level UK security jobs.
when you get that working 3 jobs, why should I ask for more abi?? clown.
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2014
It is a very big shame when all a person can achieve is running after increased pay when he/she could better his own pay via private practice.

It is not uncommon to see multimillionaire doctors and pharmacits who through private practice have dwarfed government pay and bettered their lives...

Every time we be hearing this noise. Smh..
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by phantom(m): 2:28pm On Jul 13, 2014
ArabianPrince: SagaShit....Lol. Yelling moronic person.

I live in the UK and I have been working in Janitor roles most of my career of about 3.5 years.I am contemplating the opportunity of moving back to Nigeria and working in errand running within any industry.My questions are:
1) Is this seen as an important and elite function in Nigeria as it is in UK?
2) What is the Salary range I should be looking at for this function and at what grade should I accept from recruiters?(N.B: I have done this for blue chip firms. Please ; any opinion on this should indicate what industry (if possible, the company) the figures you are quoting are for)
3) Which industries are vacancies likely to be available in?Considering that am not educable or trainable.
4) I am only a drop out No Waec, BSc. No Masters, MBA or Phd but with the reputation of the firms that have recruited me in this janitor positions in the UK, I find lack of these qualifications has been no major hinderance for me in the UK. Would lack of these be an issue in Nigeria?
5) What are the work hours like for janitors/errand staff officials in Nigeria?.

Having fun..... grin
leave sagamite o jare! grin
Re: Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries by adconline(m): 2:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
johnkent:
What do you mean by peanuts? An average primary care physician here in the states makes atlesst $140k/year minimum. That doesn't sound like peanut to me!!!
Benchmark for comparison here is $248k posted by OP. It would also be nice to know how much US MDs straight out of med schools make. Folks pulling 248k are specialists unlike their Naija counterparts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Tracy Kiss, Bodybuilder Drinks Semen Regularly To Ward Off Coronavirus (Pics) / Milk: I've Been Farting Uncontrollably After Taking This... / Young Man Runs 'mad' After Taking Synthetic Weed In Lagos [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.