Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. (22643 Views)

Bill Gates' Wife Melinda Washes Plates, Carries Water On Head In Malawi (Photos) / SCREENSHOT. Rev Reinhard Bonnkie Speaks On Homosexuality. / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
GodMode:

I'm following u... Your candy pie has gotten my attention.
[img]http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1348778638428.gif[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 17, 2014
I ain't gay but Adultery/polygamy and child marriage has alwaysed been part of african culture. fornication and prostitution(male and female) has become a norm as well as rape/gang rape because most times, the accused are never procecuted. I have never seen a continent more 'accepting' when it comes to bizarre practises. So how is homosexuality any different? Our hypocrisy has made more and more bizare practices prevalent in Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Fiftynine(m): 12:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
smudge2079: Oops... 90% of our ladies are into it but dey are always d first group of people to abuse homosexuals. Am not supporting dis act but my point is he or she who is without sin should cast d first stone.
you are a fool by making that comment. u are not suoporting it but he without sin should cast the 1st stone? do u knw the real meaning of dat word? or have u forgoten that we are all sinners? have u also forgotten why God distroyed sodom?
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by vm26: 12:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
and i wonder if africa beat colonialism fo real ?im nor seeing the freedom really.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by iamord(m): 12:16pm On Jul 17, 2014
MiguelMi6: Excuse me,but what is Un-african about a sensible government allowing consesnting non-threatning persons express their sexuality as they will.Come to think of it,the laws have been suspended,it still gives you headache,no arrest for gay persons.Do you for a second assume that 14years imprisonment will change a person's gayness.
If with this move,all Western nations flock to her and she develops her country,good for Malawi.What has your own anti-gay law gained you in Nigeria?
God bless you.ma very wise comment.. A lot are just hypocrites.. Will 14 years change them.. Even b4 the law came up u don't see gays or lesbos claiming right.. So I wonder what wrong with people. Religious hyprocrites.. Is this what we really need to addresse @ the moment

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by smudge2079(m): 12:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
Fiftynine: you are a fool by making that comment. u are not suoporting it but he without sin should cast the 1st stone? do u knw the real meaning of dat word? or have u forgoten that we are all sinners? have u also forgotten why God distroyed sodom?
U are a greater fool for callin' me a fool, only God is d ultimate judge, it is not my place to crucify anyone even tho i dont support deir belief or actions. And for u, may d ground break when they bury u... At least d world will be rid of a nonentity. B. Astard.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya: Some pictures for my little boy over there who hasn't quite mastered reading yet. He knows who he is.

King Mwanga II of Buganda, the “gay king”
King Mwanga ll of Buganda in east Africa led a violent campaign to defend traditional values in the 1880s. He executed 22 Christians for opposing same sex relationships.

If he hadn’t taken this extreme action it’s likely that traditional Bugandan sexual practices would have been written out of history.

In the late 19th century Mwanga was worried by the spread of Western influence. Missionaries were making inroads into the kingdom and demanding rights for their converts.

They were the vanguard of imperial occupation by the powers that backed them.

The imperial imposition of new sexual morals on indigenous people was part of a wider process of asserting control. This also saw new laws to control sexual practices in Britain.

The issue came to a head when pages in Mwanga’s own court turned down his request for sex because they were converts. This caused a confrontation that led to his decision to execute them all.

In the former Kingdom of Dahomey, women could be soldiers (above) and older women would sometimes marry younger women.

Nigerian woman-to-woman marriage (sexuality debated)
In Igboland women who were considered exceptional in the eyes of society due to their wealth and/or social standing, and those who were past menopause could marry wives for themselves, for their husbands, for their sons, and/or for their siblings. These influential women were usually viewed as men, due to the fluidity of gender in the pre-colonial Igbo context, by marrying women their status was elevated mostly due to female husbands paying bride-price. Woman-to-woman marriage allowed for greater freedom of sexuality for the wives, they could have boyfriends, anonymous men whose only duty was to supply sperm, henceforth “male sperm donors”, and this was socially accepted. Any child they had were taken care of by their female husband, and carried her name and this was legitimate in the eyes of society.

Reading Achebe’s The Female King of Colonial Nigeria, one could be forgiven in believing that woman-to-woman marriage was unique among the Igbo of southeastern Nigeria.

It wasn’t.

This institution can be found across the African continent among various ethnic groups, with slight differences in norms and practices. Even I was surprised to discover, among the Yoruba where a widow who wanted to remain with her in-laws could marry a female relative when there were no men in the family as considerable options. In other societies, women who could not have children, and widows took wives and claimed the children their wives had as their own. In others women who did not have sons could marry a woman who would act as a daughter-in-law, in fact married to the female husband’s non-existent son. In all societies where this was practiced female husbands occupied high statuses in the community.
Lol. Nah wa ooo, see nyash opening of hidden african culture. I'm following you!

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
Akshow: Talk about grandeur disillusion of the highest order. What glory does Africa has?

U were parading naeked before oyinbo people come give u cloth. Now u have d guts to say being naeked is "unafrica"

Those wey bring religion come for una are opening up their heart and accepting gays but, u wey them hand over d religion to as tokunbo or second hand dey more fanatical and bigoted holier than thou.

That's y Africa will always remain backward. Gays are the least of our problem in the face of poverty, hunger, diseases, bad leadership etc

Oga, don't take it personal.

Walk out of thread.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by jpphilips(m): 12:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF: I think this is a wrong move for Joyce Banda and her cabinet; this is very un-African. When will African countries stop been beggar nations? Malawi has shown that it's a beggar nation by this act. It's an act of cowardice and it thus confirms what Ms Dambisa Moyo argued in her book 'Dead Aid'. Our leaders are just too lazy and very uncreative. What has Banda done to making sure Malawi moves away from depending on aid from these western countries who never mean well for her country? .. mtchew!!!!!!!!

How much have your state and federal governments collected as foreign loans this year alone, even $1b is about to fly in from tomorrow, the earlier Africans understand that our leaders mismanage our resources so well that we are mere beggars to the outside world, the better for us.
Senator MC Cain used a derogatory term on Jonathan the other time, Nigerians ran amok, tell me, who takes a beggar seriously these days?

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
Fantastic news.

Unfortunately the local mouth breathers will continue their illegal rampage.

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Vansnickers: 1:02pm On Jul 17, 2014
TheWholeTruth: Malawi is afraid of the unknown.

A begger will always act like one.

The glory of Africa is diminishing.

What glory?

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Vansnickers: 1:07pm On Jul 17, 2014
chamboy: My RuSian Brothers, U rock

Lol!!

Go and tell them that in Russia.

Let them break that your empty head,just because you're a black man.

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 17, 2014
I THRUST NIGERIANS EVEN IF GAY LAW SHOULD BE LEGALIZED,GAYS WILL STILL BE BEATEN. ORDINARY THIEF WILL STEAL YET THE POLICE WON'T DO ANY THING ON THE JUNGLE JUSTICE LET ALONE WHEN YOU ARE CAUGHT IN GAY ACT....MAY JESUS DELIVER.....LET IT NOT BE IN CITIES LIKE ABA,ONITSHA,PH,IMO...
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by cococandy(f): 1:11pm On Jul 17, 2014
cheesy
pazienza:

The law gives her a feeling of self righteousness and makes her feel that she and her country stands on a higher moral ground than the west and gays.

If you ask her what exactly she meant by 'un african', she would certainly answer you with answers drawn from 'un african' religions, that's the Irony.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Vansnickers: 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2014
Empiree: [/b]

Dey know naija is rich but (the country) is managed by morons. Dey know that if dey kip pressure on nija to suspend anti-homo law, it may not work 80% of d time dats' why dey invented BH (with help of unpatriotic politicians) to divert naija resources & attention. Knowing fully well, that naijans will support better security of d nation dan persecuting gays. Oyinbo smart pass u pple. D plan is working well for dem & Black (Christians) fell for d trap.

How did Christians fell for the trap?. Dey made sure u have to blame ur brodas(muslims) for BH to create confusion. Dis works very well. Look at the situation of things urself. If any nijerians are asked about country's priority btw bringing BH to justice or criminalizing gays?, overwhelming nijerians will choose the former. And d former(BH) will never be solved cus they created it for a purpose. Just sad that many nijerians are extremely clueless. U don alreadi allowed dem to help u monitor elections in Osun. soon, dey will monitor all ur elections & den only God knows what. U guys dont think. U r in big HOT SOUP, wallahi. BH issue will not go away anytime soon walahi. They created it. It has nothing to do with musulumi but u folks fell for the trap n u will pay the price of omugo forever!!!! wallahi

Lol!!!

Look at this delusional fool.

We here in the US have bigger issues to deal with, for example, border control and the Healthcare reform. In your dumb mind, we'll leave our problems and try and destabilize a third world african country?! Hahah!!!

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2014
MzJackBaueress: Is this supposed to be a good news? Oh well, foreign aid is more important to them than endorsing the ban on homosexuality.

That's their business!

Which do you prefer if you were Malawian. Eat to Live or Die from Social Issues grin

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 17, 2014
Vansnickers:

Lol!!!

Look at this delusional fool.

We here in the US have bigger issues to deal with, for example, border control and the Healthcare reform. In your dumb mind, we'll leave our problems and try and destabilize a third world african country?! Hahah!!!

You know you have simply spoken my mind. countless of clueless mindless buffoons in Africa believe that the WEST needs to kill Black Africa to survive, we are some potentially emerging threat (we have been emerging since the last 7 decades and have not surfaced yet) to the WESt so they are always seeking ways to undermine Development and Growth and Democracy in Africa.. in truth our stangant minds refuse to remove the scales from our eyes and see that African Leadership is as backward Democratically and Politically as we were in the 18th Century.. it is all a selfish Family business in Africa.. why Blame the WEST angry

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2014
Can I see the faces of these homosexuals let me know what you homos looks like.....
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Vansnickers: 1:23pm On Jul 17, 2014
voltron:

You know you have simply spoken my mind. countless of clueless mindless buffoons in Africa believe that the WEST needs to kill Black Africa to survive, we are some potentially emerging threat (we have been emerging since the last 7 decades and have not surfaced yet) to the WESt so they are always seeking ways to undermine Development and Growth and Democracy in Africa.. in truth our stangant minds refuse to remove the scales from our eyes and see that African Leadership is as backward Democratically and Politically as we were in the 18th Century.. it is all a selfish Family business in Africa.. why Blame the WEST angry

Exactly bro.

The typical African is always looking for someone to blame for his/her problems. It's a bad attitude to have. When you're not accountable for your failures, how do you learn from that failure and become a stronger person?

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by kandiikane(m): 1:25pm On Jul 17, 2014
VantagePoint:
Say what you will, African nations consider homosexuality abhorrent and unnatural. Just as Western nations cannot condone infringing on "international human rights", we also don't condone gay relationships; it is un-African!
One might as well de-criminalize inces.t, substance abuse since it occurs between consenting, non-threatening adults.

Do you research first on African se.xual culture instead of spewing dust.

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by kandiikane(m): 1:29pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

Africans have been so thoroughly violated by colonialism. They don't even know what their culture is anymore.

Homosexuality was an accepted part of many African cultures before it was trampled out by colonial missionaries. The white man told you homosexuality is wrong. Now you think you have always hated it. You tell the white man not to bring in something you forgot you once had.

The white man told you you weren't wearing enough clothes. That you were "indecent". Now you think baring your skin is "un-African". You tell the white man not to corrupt you with their un-African núdity.

The white man told you to worship their god. Now you have surpassed them in religious fanaticism, and you call them heathens.

I weep for my the DESTRUCTION of my people's history and culture. We don't even know what was ours anymore. Confusion.

And believe me, I can back ALL of this up with historical publications and respected research journals.

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
Why is that is western world condemn polygamy,and is even a crime punishable by law, why not legalize it but we Africans don't want homosexualism yet they are forcing us to agree to their terms for one Aid. I think is high time we forced them to legalize polygamy too.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Vansnickers: 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2014
OkparaJesus: Why is that is western world condemn polygamy,and is even a crime punishable by law, why not legalize it but we Africans don't want homosexualism yet they are forcing us to agree to their terms for one Aid. I think is high time we forced them to legalize polygamy too.

Have you eaten today?

Answer: no.

Go and sit down, no one cares about your opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2014
iceberylin: COWARDS....

gradually w'll loss our culture ... my dear. AFRICA
What has ur so called African culture achieved 4 u, apart from juju technology?

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 17, 2014
Vansnickers:

Have you eaten today?

I pity you and your homosexual life style...you will only be useful during your funeral.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2014
Vansnickers:

Have you eaten today?

I wish can see your face let me know what you look like because I have not seen a homosexual before.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Vansnickers: 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2014
OkparaJesus:

I pity you and your homosexual life style...you will only be useful during your funeral.

Tell that to your stup.id failure of a father.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by VantagePoint: 1:48pm On Jul 17, 2014
kandiikane:

Do you research first on African se.xual culture instead of spewing dust.
I don't need to do that
However, I expect you to come up with some baseless research on how our sexual culture eons ago embraced homosexuality and we suddenly, a few decades ago, decided that it was wrong.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by simdam500(m): 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
they can go and die... i don care... sad...

like they say, over 200 is missing and signing silly law isnt gonna bring them back....

even we got enough prob than signing homo
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by kandiikane(m): 2:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
VantagePoint:
I don't need to do that
However, I expect you to come up with some baseless research on how our sexual culture eons ago embraced homosexuality and we suddenly, a few decades ago, decided that it was wrong.
Then you are an ediot and you should stop spewing nonsense if you don't know your history and unwilling to learn about your history. This is not an insult. Have a good day!

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by kandiikane(m): 2:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
OkparaJesus: Why is that is western world condemn polygamy,and is even a crime punishable by law, why not legalize it but we Africans don't want homosexualism yet they are forcing us to agree to their terms for one Aid. I think is high time we forced them to legalize polygamy too.

Because majority of the time polygamy in Africa is not by two or three consenting adults. It tends to be between an old fart and babies waiting for their first pube to sprout.

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
butterflyy:
How could u read without comprehending, pls open ur myopic mind and understand.
Yerima and boko-haram re following their religion as u said, now listen , gays follow what they re and not any religion. This is just ppl loving ppl. And dnt use that word Bias again if u dnt know what it means n where it should be used. I still say, let them n

you can't even tell me the benefit of gay law in our society

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Goes On Rampage In Italy, Assaults Police Officers. Photos / 'Sea Of Flames': 46 Killed In Taiwan Buiidling Fire / Taiwan Lawmakers Throw Pig Guts And Punches Over US Pork Imports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.