Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. (22639 Views)

Bill Gates' Wife Melinda Washes Plates, Carries Water On Head In Malawi (Photos) / SCREENSHOT. Rev Reinhard Bonnkie Speaks On Homosexuality. / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by omoharry(f): 10:29am On Jul 17, 2014
MiguelMi6: Excuse me,but what is Un-african about a sensible government allowing consesnting non-threatning persons express their sexuality as they will.Come to think of it,the laws have been suspended,it still gives you headache,no arrest for gay persons.Do you for a second assume that 14years imprisonment will change a person's gayness.
If with this move,all Western nations flock to her and she develops her country,good for Malawi.What has your own anti-gay law gained you in Nigeria?

I SEE YOU ARE ONE OF THEM.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 17, 2014
emmboy:
I can see you are a fvcking gay! Tell me, how did you start having this nonsensical homosexual feeling?

omoharry:
U BE gay ABI?.I hope u nor still dey Naija sha.

You guys seem pained. Are you frustrated somehow that you can't express yourselves with logic and without profanity? I would be pained too.

But I'll tell you a secret. It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. wink

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by lilmax(m): 10:34am On Jul 17, 2014
Not natural thing
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by englishmart(m): 10:36am On Jul 17, 2014
braine: Good.
ok
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by englishmart(m): 10:39am On Jul 17, 2014
[size=45pt] FVCKING BULLSHIT [/size] . Malawi ko? Malaysia Ni?
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 17, 2014
Uganda and South Africa
(Oh don't worry, Nigeria will get a nice looong post of its own. Where is the girl who claimed it never existed in Igbo culture? Don't worry, I'll @ mention you when I get to it. Remind me if I forget.)

"Homosexuality is, in fact, as African as the soil itself.

In the Buganda Kingdom of Uganda, Mwanga II, the Kabaka (king) of the region was openly gay. Mwanga actually battled the attitudes of early missionaries towards homosexuality, sometimes even killing Christians who dared question his sexuality. And although Ugandan children are rarely taught this when they learn the history of Buganda, it has been an open secret for years. In Northern Uganda, Nilotico Lango tribes allowed men to shift their gender status, rendering them free to marry other men.

In South Africa, the Lobedu Kingdom had the Rain Queen Modjadji who took up to 15 young wives as she saw fit. Prominent families would send their daughters to her to increase tribal loyalties and ensure wealth through rainfall. She enjoyed such prominence that during a meeting with Mandela, he was only allowed to speak to her when spoken to. In fact, many healers throughout broader Southern Africa were thought to have been comprised of homosexual or asexual women. Part of this reasoning involved the healer being closer to women and therefore, closer to nature’s fundamental source of sustenance."

"Current popular opinion may prefer the erasure of Africa’s homosexual past, deeming it a sin, an abnormality, or simply unAfrican. But the reality is Africa has always had a gay community, and regardless of current discriminatory measures, it always will."

What number was I up to?

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Engen(m): 10:40am On Jul 17, 2014
dridowu: Gradually ds foolish western law may gain ground in africa

Really? cry
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF:

It is silly for a man to assume that he will be helped by another man just because he decides to dance nake just because the other man likes nake pictures.
Africa has been dancing unclad since.., anti-gay laws is a silly way to show dignity.

Case in point-+200 girls kidnapped few months after the anti-gay laws been passed. Did not make the Naija gov look clothed rather exposed its unclothedness, by denying and playing " idon believit" games causing a huge world outcry and embarrasment.

IdiatFF:
How about his self worth afterward?
Self worth? Are we now to be defined by what consenting adults do in private? What about abortion is abortion African? How many do it in private? We should get into that as well, to gain our self worth.

SELFWORTH COMES FROM WITHIN NOT THROUGH LAWS

IdiatFF:
Malawi do have a culture like every other African countries which had been in place from time immemorial, but for one Banda to, for a pot of porridge,

Porridge to feed her people will always be more important than getting into other people's private business especially if she risk starving an entire population unless harm is done. This should be a no brainer!

IdiatFF:
decide to desecrate such culture corrupting it with another country's show that she is a coward, uncreative and unfit to lead Malawi; development should not be hinged on mendicancy.

What should development be based on? You are making these anti-gay laws sound like they will invoke a miracle and develop Africa. Please All of Africa still recieves aid from the West so this is a nonety compared to other wars Africa need to be fighting, like ownership of its minerals, refinement of the and being allowed to determine the market.

IdiatFF:
" It is known that homosexualism is never of Africa, it was imported.

Really, known to whom? as such things date back to biblical times and are done in private. Some Africans are struggling to even keep history of 40 years ago let alone ancient info. this thing of just claiming thing becouse the feel good must stop.

same way that money was imported and seems to be causing a lot of problems corruption, greed, criminality, and murders. I don't see anyone clamouring for anti-money laws.

IdiatFF:
So if we enact laws to prevent it from corrupting our culture and ways of life, I see nothing bad in that. But for outsiders (The West) to threaten a sovereign nation to import an alien culture of theirs into its, Mister, such should be resisted vehemently.
How do you corrupt an already corrupt beyond redemption society? Why are we African so obsessed with s**x?

Sweetheart, your statements are fueled by ignorance, emotions rather than sense, they hypocritical at best!
People get killed and falsely accused in issues like these, eventually we Africans run to these Western countries claiming all kinds of asylums then they have to get involved. They have right to interfere then don't you think it affects their peace.

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by IdiatFF(f): 10:50am On Jul 17, 2014
I posted this comment earlier and I will re-post it for the benefit of all....and to probably get answer(s) to the questions I asked.

"Still wondering what each of these protagonists of
homosexualism must have read that make them think it is okay for a man to sleep with a man and a woman sleeps with a
woman. What could make an informed fellow support this
despicable and queer act of Homosexualism? Is it freedom of
opinion or just a sheer show of good usage of words. Or just
for the sake of bringing forth an argument? If you failed to see
Homosexualism as despicable act then you sure need to go for sanity test...final!"

If you are a protagonist, please kindly avail us-those who are against homosexuals-answers so that we would know the kind of help you need....
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

Yes including Arizona. Homosexuality is not criminalized in any single state of the US. You might be thinking of the bill that proposed to allow INDIVIDUAL businesses to discriminate against homosexual customers. That bill was vetoed bare weeks after it was proposed.

Look up inalienable rights. It's what the country was founded on.

Hey! MissMeiya, I see ya girl!

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 10:52am On Jul 17, 2014
$
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Suarezilla(m): 10:54am On Jul 17, 2014
GoodBoi1: ... In other news, Nigeria's anti-gay law has solved all the nation's problems. #MisplacedPriorities
Its fellow gays like u dat hit d "like" button....idiots!
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 10:54am On Jul 17, 2014
$

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 17, 2014
Actually, I came to Nigeria sooner than I expected. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'll be back with more later.

"Nigeria’s foremost gay activist, Bisi Alimi delivered a lecture two days ago ‘Post-colonial sexual identity and orientation in Nigeria’ at Free University in Berlin, Germany. Below is an extract from his paper:

Even though Nigeria has recently seen a more active conversation around the issue of sexuality and gender, these conversations are played out on the premise of sentiments, morality, religion and assumptions rather than on facts. But it is facts and not assumption that can put things into perspective.

The argument against homosexuality in Nigeria has been on the premise that it is “un-African” and hence not part of our culture. The other premise used is that since it is not part of our culture, therefore it is “un-biblical”.

Since the introduction of modern religion into Africa, there has been confusion between the real African identity vs. enforced identity.

This confusion has also found its way into the discourse around cultural identity. The modern understanding of what really is an “African culture” has created a basis for identity misunderstanding not just in Nigeria, but the whole of Africa.

It was not only religion that played a role in the misconstruction of “African Culture” in the 21st century. With the coming of colonizing, African identities were systematically washed away. Africans were made to believe through western education, politics and religion that anything African is not fit for purpose and therefore demonized in most of the cases."

"Prior to colonization, there are evidences to prove that Africa was never a “heteronomative” society. In “African Sexualities: A Reader”, Sylvia Tamale argues: “African sexuality lies in ancient histories that live through girot, ighyuwas, imbongies, jellies, igawens, guewels”.

As a young child with deep interest in my culture, I was really fascinated at the eloquences with which histories are passed on from generation to generations in Africa through the power of poetry and oration.

I remembered in 2005, as part of my research in sexuality and sexual identity, I came across the famous word “Adodi”. This translates as “anus fucker”. The fact that there is a language for sexual behaviour explains that there are indeed people that are considered as such.

Aside from that, many of African arts (it is important to note here that while Africans were never seen as writers, the one fact that can never be taken away from us is that fact that we are artists. We tell the story of our lives through our sculpture, painting and drawing), have shown the celebration of same sexual relationship before the colonization of the continent.

African arts has had huge influence on the Greek art and even more so the Roman arts. These arts that not only promote but celebrate sexuality has African culture and identity at its core. From Igbo Ukwu, to Benin and Ife art, Nigerian art works celebrate the existence of same sexual relationship, not as seen as “homosexuality” in modern terms, but as a process of nurturing the acceptance of dualism of sexuality.

In religious setting, most Nigerian gods actually have dual sexes. Take for example ESU who is neither man nor woman, male or female. Sango, the god of thunder is dressed as transvestites, wearing skirts with earrings on both ears and braided hair. Obatala, though a male god, is subtle, emotional and sexual.

Even more interesting are the female gods. Oya the goddess of the ocean and Yemoja the mermaid are said to have used their sexuality to conquer men. They were not just seductive, but they exhibited a level of romantic affinity for each other."

"Dr. C. Otutubikey Izugbara in a paper titled “Patriarchal Ideology and Discourses of Sexuality in Nigeria” explained that “evidence, indeed suggests that, in many cases, homosexual practices, while not always explicitly discussed or identified as such in larger public imaginary were often treated with more tolerance in pre-colonial Nigeria than during and after colonial period”."

"Two notable anthropologists have not only documented behaviours, but they have also shown acceptance even to the level of marriage.... Naphy captured the process of same gender marriage with the medium of paying bride price. He claimed, “it is clear that customs involving woman-woman ‘marriages’ (in which case bride-price and dowries may exchange hands) is extensive”. He dismissed argument against same sex relations in Africa as ‘ludicrous and to suggest that a practice which is so widespread and yet differently constructed is anything but indigenous. Even more so Naphy considered any argument by white Europeans against the exhibition of same sex relations between Africans as racism.

Another interesting take on beyond sexual behaviour to actual exhibition of relationship is ‘Boy wives and female husbands’. According to Anderson, this book in its research “also effectively demonstrates the existence of same sex love before the arrival of the white settlers”.

But let us for a second agree with the proposition of Staples that exhibition of same sexual behaviour in pre-colonial Nigeria was a phase. The question we then have to ask is: where did they learn this phase? Who and what influenced the occurrence of this phase among what the western academia will refer as “primitive” people.

There are possibly two answers to these questions. It is either we argue that Africans are of lesser human and therefore happened to experiment occasional sexuality, or that actually, homosexuality like every other human traits is inherent in all people irrespective of race, gender, or age."

I've lost count. I don't know what number I'm on. *shrug*

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 17, 2014
GodMode:

U mean the ones u give birth to...

sad You were too illiterate to understand the insult. sad

Try again.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 10:59am On Jul 17, 2014
$
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 17, 2014
GodMode:

Stop the googling and use your time googling something worthwhile.

It's hilarious that you keep quoting my research. Please continue to do so. You can't read, but others can. So thank you.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 11:01am On Jul 17, 2014
$
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF: I posted this comment earlier and I will re-post it for the benefit of all....and to probably get answer(s) to the questions I asked.

"Still wondering what each of these protagonists of
homosexualism must have read that make them think it is okay for a man to sleep with a man and a woman sleeps with a
woman. What could make an informed fellow support this
despicable and queer act of Homosexualism? Is it freedom of
opinion or just a sheer show of good usage of words. Or just
for the sake of bringing forth an argument?

This really is not about you or me but the rights and will of other humans being violated!

Let me ask you, who is murdered/violated when these two consenting adults sleep together in private?

Why don't we extend the curtacy, in view of fairness to real murderes who murder their unborn children in private. Who thinks abortion is okay while it is bloody murder of the innocent? This ain't got nothing about what you feel or think but those who do these things and their rights/choices. Period!

IdiatFF:
If you failed to see
Homosexualism as despicable act then you sure need to go for sanity test...final!"

Maybe you are the one who need insanity tests becouse why would you be so emotional about an external factor that you cannot control?
IdiatFF:
If you are a protagonist, please kindly avail us-those who are against homosexuals-answers so that we would know the kind of help you need....
KEEP CALM AND PRAY!

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by tumbez: 11:03am On Jul 17, 2014
jayseehe: Nigeria should do the same
....hey chairman is gay allowed in the bible or quar'a?? Mtweee pple always think radically!!!!!!!!
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 17, 2014
GodMode:

You are an american illiterate you should thank google for making u behave like a literate.....

*pats head* Ok dear.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 11:04am On Jul 17, 2014
$
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Suarezilla(m): 11:04am On Jul 17, 2014
My gosh...What has this world turned into? Man-to-Man attraction n Woman-to-Woman attraction? Why evils? I was almost a victim a gay rape when I was still a teenage n I had to run out of the room as he asked me to come hold his John T.....Malawi has given in to pressure..Its d result of poverty!
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 17, 2014
GodMode:

Which one is "my research" Stop taking the spotlight off google.

Ohhh. You poor thing. Listen, I am starting a GodMode fund TODAY to buy you a dictionary. The first word I will help you look up is "research".

Practice sounding it out until we raise the money, okay?

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by jayseehe(m): 11:07am On Jul 17, 2014
tumbez: ....hey chairman is gay allowed in the bible or quar'a?? Mtweee pple always think radically!!!!!!!!
please quote a verse against gayism... ignoramus
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by astOorR(m): 11:07am On Jul 17, 2014
jayseehe: Nigeria should do the same

FOOL....GO AND MARRY UR FATHER
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 11:08am On Jul 17, 2014
$
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by jayseehe(m): 11:10am On Jul 17, 2014
astOorR:

FOOL....GO AND MARRY UR FATHER
ignored
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by astOorR(m): 11:12am On Jul 17, 2014
jayseehe:
please quote a verse against gayism... ignoramus

FOOL... LEVITICUS 20:13, JUDE 1:7......FOOL
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by astOorR(m): 11:12am On Jul 17, 2014
jayseehe:
ignored

FOOL
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 11:13am On Jul 17, 2014
$
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by IdiatFF(f): 11:15am On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya: Actually, I came to Nigeria sooner than I expected. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'll be back with more later.

"Nigeria’s foremost gay activist, Bisi Alimi delivered a lecture two days ago ‘Post-colonial sexual identity and orientation in Nigeria’ at Free University in Berlin, Germany. Below is an extract from his paper:

Even though Nigeria has recently seen a more active conversation around the issue of sexuality and gender, these conversations are played out on the premise of sentiments, morality, religion and assumptions rather than on facts. But it is facts and not assumption that can put things into perspective.

The argument against homosexuality in Nigeria has been on the premise that it is “un-African” and hence not part of our culture. The other premise used is that since it is not part of our culture, therefore it is “un-biblical”.

Since the introduction of modern religion into Africa, there has been confusion between the real African identity vs. enforced identity.

This confusion has also found its way into the discourse around cultural identity. The modern understanding of what really is an “African culture” has created a basis for identity misunderstanding not just in Nigeria, but the whole of Africa.

It was not only religion that played a role in the misconstruction of “African Culture” in the 21st century. With the coming of colonizing, African identities were systematically washed away. Africans were made to believe through western education, politics and religion that anything African is not fit for purpose and therefore demonized in most of the cases."

"Prior to colonization, there are evidences to prove that Africa was never a “heteronomative” society. In “African Sexualities: A Reader”, Sylvia Tamale argues: “African sexuality lies in ancient histories that live through girot, ighyuwas, imbongies, jellies, igawens, guewels”.

As a young child with deep interest in my culture, I was really fascinated at the eloquences with which histories are passed on from generation to generations in Africa through the power of poetry and oration.

I remembered in 2005, as part of my research in sexuality and sexual identity, I came across the famous word “Adodi”. This translates as “anus fucker”. The fact that there is a language for sexual behaviour explains that there are indeed people that are considered as such.

Aside from that, many of African arts (it is important to note here that while Africans were never seen as writers, the one fact that can never be taken away from us is that fact that we are artists. We tell the story of our lives through our sculpture, painting and drawing), have shown the celebration of same sexual relationship before the colonization of the continent.

African arts has had huge influence on the Greek art and even more so the Roman arts. These arts that not only promote but celebrate sexuality has African culture and identity at its core. From Igbo Ukwu, to Benin and Ife art, Nigerian art works celebrate the existence of same sexual relationship, not as seen as “homosexuality” in modern terms, but as a process of nurturing the acceptance of dualism of sexuality.

In religious setting, most Nigerian gods actually have dual sexes. Take for example ESU who is neither man nor woman, male or female. Sango, the god of thunder is dressed as transvestites, wearing skirts with earrings on both ears and braided hair. Obatala, though a male god, is subtle, emotional and sexual.

Even more interesting are the female gods. Oya the goddess of the ocean and Yemoja the mermaid are said to have used their sexuality to conquer men. They were not just seductive, but they exhibited a level of romantic affinity for each other."

"Dr. C. Otutubikey Izugbara in a paper titled “Patriarchal Ideology and Discourses of Sexuality in Nigeria” explained that “evidence, indeed suggests that, in many cases, homosexual practices, while not always explicitly discussed or identified as such in larger public imaginary were often treated with more tolerance in pre-colonial Nigeria than during and after colonial period”."

"Two notable anthropologists have not only documented behaviours, but they have also shown acceptance even to the level of marriage.... Naphy captured the process of same gender marriage with the medium of paying bride price. He claimed, “it is clear that customs involving woman-woman ‘marriages’ (in which case bride-price and dowries may exchange hands) is extensive”. He dismissed argument against same sex relations in Africa as ‘ludicrous and to suggest that a practice which is so widespread and yet differently constructed is anything but indigenous. Even more so Naphy considered any argument by white Europeans against the exhibition of same sex relations between Africans as racism.

Another interesting take on beyond sexual behaviour to actual exhibition of relationship is ‘Boy wives and female husbands’. According to Anderson, this book in its research “also effectively demonstrates the existence of same sex love before the arrival of the white settlers”.

But let us for a second agree with the proposition of Staples that exhibition of same sexual behaviour in pre-colonial Nigeria was a phase. The question we then have to ask is: where did they learn this phase? Who and what influenced the occurrence of this phase among what the western academia will refer as “primitive” people.

There are possibly two answers to these questions. It is either we argue that Africans are of lesser human and therefore happened to experiment occasional sexuality, or that actually, homosexuality like every other human traits is inherent in all people irrespective of race, gender, or age."

I've lost count. I don't know what number I'm on. *shrug*

I lost interest too early to read when I got to this point "... these conversations are played out on the premise of sentiments, morality, religion and assumptions rather than on facts. But it is facts and not assumption that can put things into perspective." --> Fact (behavioural sociometry) never stands alone, it is always coloured with one or more of the factors mentioned by Bisi. Maybe when I am done with comments I will read, I just saved it away for now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Dixie Wildfire Becomes The Largest In California History(Pix) / Nigerian Man Goes On Rampage In Italy, Assaults Police Officers. Photos / 'Sea Of Flames': 46 Killed In Taiwan Buiidling Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.