Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,766 members, 7,827,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? (31064 Views)

Why / Why Are Nigerians And Ghanians Rivals / Why Are Nigerians So Annoying On Facebook? This Is Getting Ridiculous. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by ghostofsparta(m): 8:21am On Aug 07, 2014
Ishilove:
Your colleague doesn't belive Ebola is real? shocked Adonbelivit!! cheesy

He needs his head examined angry

That was then, wouldn't know about now, but so are/were many people in Nigeria, don't you know?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by sholay2011(m): 8:59am On Aug 07, 2014
@ishilove and ghostofsparta

You guys have spoken well. I hope Nigerians learn to be serious when there is need for it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Orikinla(m): 1:04pm On Aug 09, 2014
Dear Fellow Nigerians,
We are going forward in the mighty name of JESUS CHRIST. Amen.
Our faith is our strength to overcome every wrath in the earth. For the earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein: as written in Psalm 24:1.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by sholay2011(m): 1:16pm On Aug 09, 2014
This ebola palaver is a good example of why this thread needs to be on frontpage.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by tandj: 1:39pm On Aug 10, 2014

21 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by 9jahubcom(m): 8:49pm On Aug 10, 2014
na wa
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by great664(m): 8:53pm On Aug 10, 2014
ITbomb: Nigeria is so large a country that happenings in some parts sounds like statistics in another. Until it happens to someone in the immediate community, that is when we know say water don pass garri.

Killings and bombing in the north sounds to people in the South like some Arcade shooting game which the Nigerian military are not playing well, the people killed end up as statistics.

Same with Ebola, people have this mentality that it is happening somewhere in some hospital in Lagos so no cause for alarm, until when the next dead body is in their Street.

For the demonstrations and bleeding for country, many still believe that people protesting are trying to protect their source of income, so if you are comfortable and independent of government contracts where you are, no time to protest. Na their turn to chop mentality, our turn dey come.
Nigerians can be very serious when activated with strong physical evidence (not news flash)
adjust eyeglass
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by gift01: 8:54pm On Aug 10, 2014
That's why they say Nigerians are the happiest in the world. Fela's version: Suffering and Smiling
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by gorgeousnogo(f): 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
Thats how we survive. We know that its only God that can help us not d Govt, So we make fun of tinz but deep down we are worried..... Meanwhile,Happy sunday everyone, Check out this newest amazing link http://tan.org.ng/onestar/register.php?id=43147 thank me later
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Kalvan500: 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
Unserious people deserve an unserious government.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
Ishilove: Yes indeed. Why are we the way we are? I remember two years ago during the nationwide strike following the fuel increment, while many Nigerians took to the streets to stage protests, an even greater number sat in their houses, behind computer screens and drew ridiculous pictures with even more ridiculous, albeit hilarious captions. While their counterparts in the Middle East the previous year bled and died during the Arab spring, Nigerians conducted their own 'Naija spring' on the internet, circulating funny pictures and memes as their own contribution to the struggle.

In other countries, when a government official goofs publicly, the citizens immediately demand accountability. Not so in Nigeria. After Mr Anselm disgraced the NSCDC on national and international television (Channels tv), Nigerians immediately responded by flooding the internet with rib cracking memes and caricatures, even going to the extent of producing branded tshirts of our 'Oga-at-the-top'.

Whenever you see the cartoon of a woman in wearing an awkward gele, with a puffy, scrunched up face, streaming eyeglasses, and white handkerchief, you immediately know who it is. Patience Jonathan has been immortalised.

The one that really has me puzzled is this new Ebola inspired craze. One would think that something as serious as an incurable disease that kills within days would provoke sober reflection on the feeble state of mankind, but NO, the opposite is the case. I have seen so many silly jokes about the Ebola virus on BBM, Nairaland, facebook and other social networking forums. Must everything be a joke?

I voiced my observations to some of my colleague and was promptly laughed at. While one said "wo, a le para wa jor'' (we can't kill ourselves jor), another remarked on his facebook wall: "Ebola! Your fada. No matter how you strong your face reach, we must break you down". This dude followed this statement with some very funny memes on his wall. ( I don't know the jobless people that come up with all those funny pictures).

Smh. No wonder the international community can never take us seriously.

Abeg which kind shampoo dey kill dandruff? my dreadlocks dey scratch me cry

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by lebesgue(m): 8:58pm On Aug 10, 2014
LarrySun: I'm not surprised; since our verbal communication has often remained badly ambiguous; we blame the government for everything evil. No one is ready to take responsibility for the defects of the society; instead, we make asinine (even evil) jokes to mask our discomfort. The first sign of headache can be a neckache. We may suddenly wake up one morning to find out that these unserious fiends are candidates for straitjackets who'd escaped the confinements of their mental asylums.

The theory that the crippled government is the cause of the imbroglio circulating all around the federation is, I feel, a somewhat too complacent half-truth; we are the architects of our own mishaps. The civilians allowed themselves to be held by the ears like rabbits and tossed into the thorns by imbeciles of higher echelons whose acidulated mien and balderdashing decadents has made them dizzy with their own intellectual altitude, all just for the paltry sum of thirty pieces of silver. I fear for the growing generations; for when even giants are toppled, what hope is there for the midgets?

We should rise up, take the bull by the flank and make our stands against these revolting oppressors among ourselves; the state of the nation has gone beyond the days of 'twinkle, twinkle little stars'...cracking jokes about our own misfortunes is a perfect show of 'suffering and smiling'.

Chineke. Na only you waka come. See as you dey blow grammar. Dia ris God o.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by nep2ra(m): 8:58pm On Aug 10, 2014
Orikinla: Dear Fellow Nigerians,
Our faith is our strength to overcome every wrath in the earth. For the earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein: as written in Psalm 24:1.

*face palm*

This niccuh had to do this? undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
Kalvan500: Unserious people deserve an unserious government.
and UnSerious TreaTmeNt!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Kalvan500: 9:01pm On Aug 10, 2014
tandj: @op, I get the point u r trying to pass across but let me digress a bit.
Nigeria is d way it is now because of religion.
Religious leaders tell us to always pray and leave everything to God.
They tell us we should not let d devil know we r suffering hence d suffering and smiling charade.
A sick person, instead of him to go to hospital, will go to church or mosque Where religious leaders have turned into physicians and scientists.
U wanna ask question, they tell u to leave it to God.
Yes, it takes a serious minded folks to unsit a bad government.

Go to politics section here, instead of them to demand for a good leader, party affliation is their only problem.

U tend to start reasoning well, u will be termed anti-God. How bad can it be.
Just look at d replies up there.
D truth is in d next century, we r not going anywhere.
One thing that differentiate d developed countries from us is d mind.
We r yet to start using our mind. If we do, arab spring will be a baby spring compared to what will happen here.

I'm an Atheist, but I feel it's a tad bit disingenuous to blame religion solely. A lot of factors come into play. Education and Leadership, the leaders have abandoned the education sector, public schools are in shambles, public teachers earn peanuts and the students are unmotivated. We need to fix the education sector, let every child get a solid education from pre-k to high school. When education becomes a priority , Nigeria will change.

Good luck comrades.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by arsetalks(m): 9:06pm On Aug 10, 2014
I thought I am the only one who gets angry with all the idiotic jokes. Yes, one need to ease up on life but when people are dying, you don't joke with it as those who must have lost their loved ones will not find it funny.

I used to say to people who behave in idiotic manners that they have a brain tumor but not any more and thats because I lost my fiancee ( the best thing that has ever happened to me ) to a brain tumor.

People need to consider others before joking.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Votukpa(m): 9:07pm On Aug 10, 2014
Ladystewie: Nigerians are just fun loving people and the ability to find fun in a rather serious situation in a bid to reduce the tension is genius to me. I think such 'jokes' tend to calm the people down and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Any reason why we never accomplish much?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Joshuadon: 9:07pm On Aug 10, 2014
still trying to figure out the meaning of dis post

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 10, 2014
Nigerians are not "Arabs". Stop comparing us with other people. Worrying doesn't change thing. We love to be happy, we love to pray and we react when necessary. Nigerians are happy and intelligent people. We are only human.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by adepojuis: 9:09pm On Aug 10, 2014
Op, “wo,a le para wa jor”(we can't kill ourselves jor).
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by anonimi: 9:11pm On Aug 10, 2014
Ladystewie: Nigerians are just fun loving people and the ability to find fun in a rather serious situation in a bid to reduce the tension is genius to me. I think such 'jokes' tend to calm the people down and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

There is so much wrong with being a LAZY butt of jokes by your contemporaries (fellow homo sapiens) and you yourself play jester around issues.
Can you imagine someone in your extended family who is penniless, and always being helped by others joking about his own impoverished situation that is self-inflicted angry shocked I am sure you won't want to be that person or his child sad
Some of us do not realize how we enslave ourselves mentally.
Anyway, shey we dey wait make oyinbo people come give us the melecine wey dem don sweat for laboratory to discover against Ebola shocked
We go wait tire.
Shiiiiiiiiooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 10, 2014
Orikinla: Dear Fellow Nigerians,

wow!!!!! this thread about people like you

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 10, 2014
ITS THE SAME REASON THE COUNTRY WILL NEVER BREAKUP AS PREDICTED BY OUR ENEMIES!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Tstark(m): 9:17pm On Aug 10, 2014
Make dem dey suffer dey go, they want everything handed to them on a platter. They deserve the corrupt government they have, and i hope it continues that way.....1.9 billion for ebola emergency and not a single person is asking what that money will be spent on. # NATIONOFAPES!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Onegai(f): 9:18pm On Aug 10, 2014
I've been following this outbreak in West Africa since May. In May, my very learned boss laughed at me for using hand sanitiser, then laughed at me for washing hands. Now, she bought a pack of latex gloves and face-masks for her self, 2 days ago. And people still don't believe in the virus.

But I noticed a more alarming trend: Nigerians are not deep thinkers or planners of the future, or people who look at their past.

I've been so worried about this Ebola outbreak, and my elderly mother said something today: this is not the first viral outbreak which has ravaged my country. I looked it up online and to my horror, I discovered that she was part of the generation who lived through 2 deadly outbreaks: Smallpox and Yellow Fever. If you think Ebola is scary, Smallpox is airborne, Yellow Fever was transferred by the bite of a mosquito. Gods were carved by our ancestors, to appease those diseases (Sopona was the yoruba god of Smallpox).

Over 65 years later, NOT ONE AFRICAN GOVERNMENT HAS FUNDED RESEARCH ON ANYTHING. Foreigners found the vaccine and made it cheap for us. During those decades, we discovered oil and now, we pound ourselves on the chest and roar "Giant of Africa". More like "Cockroach of the World".

Listen, I don't care who the hell "infected" Africans with this virus (38 years and 7 months, we didn't discover a cure). I'm ashamed to belong to a people who DON'T LEARN FROM THE PAST, DON'T PLAN THEIR FUTURE AND ARE CONFIDENT IN THEIR IGNORANCE AND FOOLISHNESS.

In 1966, another smallpox outbreak occurred because a religious group refused vaccination. And I'm hearing the same freaking stup.idity bleated about. People hid from being contained and isolated. Sound familiar?

In 2014, millions of people bathed with salt and water. Almost none of them bothered to take the time to read the free report on the Zaire 1976 Ebola outbreak, and come up with reasonable solutions (I found out from there that we need Methyl Alcohol 91% and Sodium Hydrochlorite, known as Bleach, to disinfect everywhere. And burn disposables and contain and isolate and do assisted nursing, from afar, best done by medical staff).

I keep seeing and hearing ignorant nonsense spewed. And everyone is suspicious of the White Man. Yet you are "all more educated than those villagers".

For once, let us keep ourselves clean. Let us voluntarily start research, let those who cannot research fight for governments who will fund it. Let others donate medical supplies (I started discussing with doctors about donating hand sanitisers to LASG hospitals 3 weeks ago before Ebola came here, all were hailing me as a "godsend". Please support my efforts and those of my friend, who lost his dad at LUTH). Let us demand accountability from EVERY SINGLE PERSON (DO YOUR PART AND PAY FOR A PUBLIC WATER SYSTEM, FREE FOR ALL, WITH SOAP PROVIDED). Teach African History in school, so everyone knows what we went through before and how we beat it. And how to apply those solutions to future problems (such as a viral outbreak from another country, we should have closed our borders since).

This year, Nigeria lost children to diseases which could have been prevented by vaccines. Those vaccines are finished, since February. When an outbreak occurs, some animals in government will then send money and declare emergency and create a panel. When it would have been cheaper to treat the problem MONTHS AGO. DO NOT VOTE FOR ANYONE WHO ONLY PROMISES YOU GOOD ROADS AND ELECTRICITY IN A TV JINGLE, LET THE POLITICIAN TELL YOU HIS DETAILED PLANS FOR HEALTHCARE, EDUCATION AND ECONOMIC GROWTH. Stop selling your birthright for N2,500 worth of rice. And for you tribalists, an outbreak in any part of the country affects you. Stop saying "na their problem".

Learn from the mistakes of the past, stop these daft conspiracy theories and change our future. We've been doing the same foolish behaviour since 1966 and haven't changed once.

35 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by anonimi: 9:19pm On Aug 10, 2014
aletheia:

A year on the "Arab Spring" has become a horror of nightmare. Ask the Libyans, Egyptians, Syrians, and the Iraqis. History shows that ultimately all "revolutions" fail. So Nigerians are actually better off with their approach to issues.

Revolutions like the French and that of the Americans abi
They failed so much that Nigerians are praying & fasting to be smuggled into voluntary slavery in these "failed revolution" places shocked
Person/People wey nor fit ENDURE na im/dem go suffer pass.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 10, 2014
"Ebola! Your fada. No matter how you strong your face reach, we must break you down"...this got me cracked up!! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by dont8(m): 9:21pm On Aug 10, 2014
Well said, for instance on this forum, you see people taking a very important discourse as a form of joke. Failed comedians everywhere, I weep for this generation.
Kalvan500: Unserious people deserve an unserious government.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by AspDrone(m): 9:23pm On Aug 10, 2014
Tallesty1: I know but @least we should know where to draw the line. We are fun-loving-people, YES. It helps reduce tension.YES. But can it give us what we want? NO, is it really helping us? NO!. Our leaders are aware of our unseriousness and that is why they are looting us with pride. One terrible thing about us is this mentality of "If I Didn't Happen To You or Your Relative Then It Really Doesn't Concern You". It is very bad. We are not serious people and we prefer to spend time sending retweets of hashtags instead of taking real action. There was a time you cannot see a comment here without the #bringbackourgirls hashtagg. But now what happened? The girls have been forgoten. To blow hot air; shout and make noise is where we are perfect.We have remained silent for so long and failed to make our government accountable for so long and it is not and will never help us.
Do you realize everyone has there own personal problems which might equal or surpass those chibok gals? Who helps them in that?
I know jokes sometimes are blown high but its just whom we are..I tell u
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by shabbey09: 9:23pm On Aug 10, 2014
My thoughts exactly. Most pple know its serious but Nigerians just always tend to find a way to ease their pain.

God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by thomasdareal(m): 9:23pm On Aug 10, 2014
@op! We are who we are! Naija spirit

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Check This Pix! / Quotes That Can Change Your Perspective On Life(pictures) / Woman Jumps Into Lagos Lagoon At Leventist Bus Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.