Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,752 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:37 PM

Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now - Agriculture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now (70816 Views)

The Secrets And Riches In Storage Business / Hidden Profit In Egusi (melon) Business / Egusi (melon) Farming live from my ogbonge farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Go Down)

Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 10:15pm On Sep 05, 2016
Barthiyke:
I love this post and i have been really giving it the best within me.

Question, whats the season or month in a year to buy up produce to stock?

whats the storage formula to be put in place for greater products stored up & be recovered without much loss

Start stocking from late july. Buy up till September depending on your capacity and warehouse till December at the earliest or April latest
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Whynotthetruth(m): 11:36am On Sep 06, 2016
Olayimikami:
Price update as at friday, 02.09.2016

A bag of size 33 egusi was between N23k-N30k, depending of the quality of the seeds.

Prices are likely to dip slightly next week because of the sallah preparation

All other prices remain constant per modu@ N130.

Gunduma and Kokona market had only the black face egusi @N120 per modu

Peeled egusi @Gunduma was N350 per modu ; @Bwari was N500 per modu and @Doma was N500 per modu

Many thanks to @cupidkc and friends who came around all the way from the east. It was nice having you all around

1)Can we see pictures of these bags plzzz? different sizes and shapes ...

2)Do we have different types of Egwusi? can you differentiate using pictures too...

3)Is it same machine that peels and washes the Egwusi? .... kindly explain in details Sir...

thanks and God bless...
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Cupidkc(m): 7:07pm On Sep 06, 2016
Olayimikami:
Price update as at friday, 02.09.2016

A bag of size 33 egusi was between N23k-N30k, depending of the quality of the seeds.

Prices are likely to dip slightly next week because of the sallah preparation

All other prices remain constant per modu@ N130.

Gunduma and Kokona market had only the black face egusi @N120 per modu

Peeled egusi @Gunduma was N350 per modu ; @Bwari was N500 per modu and @Doma was N500 per modu

Many thanks to @cupidkc and friends who came around all the way from the east. It was nice having you all around
Thanks too Bro, you were very resourceful and we really appreciate.
I second the above price list.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 11:57pm On Sep 07, 2016
dboss444:
Op please I'll like to know the size of the bag presently egusi is going for 19k for unpeeled melon

www.nairaland.com/3300293/storage-hoarding-bussiness-agriculture

Back home after a gruesome 10 hours drive; having been led on to believe prices of melon (egusi) are cheaper in Ugba, benue than in nasarawa market. Definitely more expensive though cleaner.

Size 29 bag was offered to us @21k but we declined the offer to buy. Modu sizes are also smaller and peeled egusi sold @N500 for that modu.

Maybe the yam market makes a more viable option. We made a stop over at both the Ugba and Zaki biam market

Lesson learnt: Do not believe all you hear, always do your feasibility study.

For those making assertions as regards figures and sizes, please be factual and objective. Will be lurking around to counter unverified claims

On a good note, at least I met the humbly @dboss444 and we had time to chat though briefly
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 12:00am On Sep 08, 2016
Whynotthetruth:

2)Do we have different types of Egwusi? can you differentiate using pictures too...

3)Is it same machine that peels and washes the Egwusi? .... kindly explain in details Sir...

thanks and God bless...

Noted. Will revert with sample pix and try to explain in details before the week ends
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:09am On Sep 08, 2016
Olayimikami:

Noted. Will revert with sample pix and try to explain in details before the week ends

Thanks so much... Waiting!!!
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 8:20pm On Sep 11, 2016
Whynotthetruth:

thanks and God bless...

1 Like

Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 10:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
First pix is bag size 33.

Second pix is the black hand peeled melon (unpeeled)

Third pix is the white machine peeled melon (unpeeled)

Size 33 bag should take between 130-150 modu depending on modu size and measuring skills.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 10:54pm On Sep 11, 2016
Prices as at friday 09.09.2016 in nasarawa market.

Bags were sold for between 23k-26k depending on seed quality. That's a marginally price drop due to the sallah celebration.

Modu prices of unpeeled white @N200 and unpeeled black @N140.

Peeled egusi is between N350 - N500 per modu
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
Olayimikami:

thanks so much bro...

Does it mean that the Egwusi with dark patches is less appreciated than the other one?

How about peeling and washing of same?
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 10:30pm On Sep 13, 2016
Whynotthetruth:

thanks so much bro...

Does it mean that the Egwusi with dark patches is less appreciated than the other one?

How about peeling and washing of same?

The black egusi is cheaply priced unpeeled but more expensive once peeled. The only shortfall is that it is hand peeled hence the peeling process is slow and only attractive in the villages. You dont necessarily need to wash the black egusi as the process itself makes for its neatness

The white egusi can be machined peeled hence is more attractive in the city as it can be easily peeled and provides for higher turnover. However, once machined peeled it needs to be washed and dried of course to make it neat

1 Like

Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 7:42am On Sep 18, 2016
Price update as at 16.09.2016.

Size 33 bag was sold for 24k-28k depending on seed quality. Market was not as active as previous week and supply of good quality was low.

Projected price for friday is likely 28k-30k due to shortfall in supply, however the prevalent rain has meant some villages have been cut off and their products may hit the market once it recedes.

Current modu prices are N200 for white, N140 for black.

Peeled egusi prices hover between N330-N500 dependent on type and quality.

Market sampled are Garaku, Kokona, Gunduma and Nasarawa market.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 8:04am On Sep 18, 2016
I have had multiple calls from potential investors who just want to part with funds without coming over or understanding the venture.

Always do your feasibility study, make sure you've done your business analysis before arriving at a conclusion.

For those who have sent funds without visiting; I appreciate the confidence reposed in me. It's a privilege and may our relationship stand the test of time.

For those who have called to invest in N?m, please visit the market before entrusting your cash. While integrity may not be an issue, I prefer to know/see the person b4 investing on your behalf

I will always be available to assist where possible.

Still reachable on 07054515851. You can either buzz prior to arriving keffi or post your whatsapp no and i will pchat.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 1:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
Prices on monday went north. Most held firm to their 28k-30k conviction. There were select purchase however at 26k. Supply gradually thinning out. Let's hope friday brings better prospects.

Opportunity to buy white machine peeled bags of 100 modu@39k have opened up for those who intend to key in.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 9:01am On Sep 24, 2016
Well for those that had bought, Friday brought better prospects. Prices finally in the 30k+ region cool cool cool. Let's hope it stays that way and move upward. Select buys at 28-30k though.

Apologies for not physically being present in the market for those who called in. I hope the support system offered was sufficient.

Machine peeled bags of 100 modu were sold at 39k on friday too. Prices obviously will climb with the prices of unpeeled reaching new heights.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 7:36am On Oct 01, 2016
Price update for this week

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but prices fell marginally. Products sold for 26-29k. Premium seeds still retained its price of 30k.

Are we seeing a reverse trend?

On the flip side, supply was low though it could meet the demand side as well. The market was practically devoid of melon as at 5pm.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 7:47am On Oct 01, 2016
This is when experience comes in. For those that are panting for fear of loss(es), relax and get proper shock absorbers.

Like all markets, fluidity determines volatility of prices. I am not God but i know prices will still climb and drop again. Timing is crucial

For the peeled egusi, on the other hand, prices went up to 40k per bag.

That's a pointer to the actual/real market demand as against speculative forces which most players here are in.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 7:56am On Oct 01, 2016
For those i adviced to hold and not buy higher than a price, pay your "tithe" now ooooo.

Prices may come down by monday if the floods subside and more roads are accessible to farmers. However, if you all flood the market clutching your gold bags; prices will just go back up immediately.

For those still interested in buying below 30k, most of you already have my details.Monday/Friday holds the key
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 8:36am On Oct 01, 2016
On a more serious note, I have spoken to a couple of people and physically met 3 of them in abuja over the course of one week. Should be in lagos b4 the month ends and will update here accordingly

Elated by your commendation and appreciate your concerns. Enjoyed the discussion thoroughly. May we experience more cordial relationship over the course of time

I personally think for every purchase made on behalf of anyone, i ought to balance the sale side as well. No need generating revenue off you when purchasing and leading you on only to struggle with sales. I have my limit and i have made that known already

However, i have decided to give alternative commodity storage options other than the melon storage biz for which i will open a thread soon as dicussed with some of you.

NB:- All egusi price update will still be done here
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 8:04am On Oct 05, 2016
Monday prices were stable but supply gradually thinning out.
Prices hovering between 28-31k. We are finally getting close to a break away point.

Peeled egusi per bag of 100 modu now 40-45k depending on location.

Will advice buyers to purchase the peeled egusi within that price range rather than the unpeeled at 35k upward as seed quality will gradually depreciate for new entries.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 6:28am On Oct 08, 2016
Prices moved up to 33k for quality seeds. This is where experience counts as low quality seeds may not appreciate beyond the 30k region.

The unpeeled market is totally locked up now as farmers who haven't sold are holding on for the long haul.

Peeled stood at N400 per modu in nasarawa, Gunduma and kokona market. Most other markets are trading at 450- 500 per modu.

Please note that modu sizes differ hence price differential does not guarantee instant profit
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 7:13am On Oct 18, 2016
Price update as at Monday 17th of 0ctober.

Quality seeds sold for 33k as against 35k on friday. There is a balance between demand and supply as demand thins out.

The arrival of maize has shifted attention from egusi. We expected a marginal increase to 35k before soya hits the market.

Early buyers may wish to start offloading now as growth rate may slow down

Peeled egusi still 400 per modu
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 10:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
Price update as at Friday 21st of November.

There is a revert in price as growth rate slows due to entry of alternative commodities.

Price of bags hovered between 28k- 31k in nasarawa market.

Price of unpeeled per modu at Gunduma market still N170 per modu for white and N150 per modu for black

Peeled egusi remains flat at N400 per modu.

We may continue to experience a slow growth rate until maize and rice which are new harvest exit the market
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 12:23pm On Oct 31, 2016
Price update as at 28th of October, 2016.

Egusi prices dipped further to stay at the 27k- 29k bracket, it is expected there will be a reverse soon.

I will advice for people to hold instead of going into panic mode. Commodities prices saw a reverse last week and i expect egusi to do the same.

Price of black remains steady at 150/ modu and peeled @400/modu.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 3:19pm On Nov 05, 2016
Monday prices dipped to 26k but went up to 29k yesterday. Price interchange will continue for a while as more commodities hit the market.

Other prices remain constant. N150 per modu for black, N170 per modu for white and N400 per modu for peeled
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Cupidkc(m): 1:23am On Nov 07, 2016
@Olayimikami Thanks for the information. Please keep it up.... You're a good fellow.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by kindmman(m): 11:40am On Nov 07, 2016
Olayimikami:
Monday prices dipped to 26k but went up to 29k yesterday. Price interchange will continue for a while as more commodities hit the market.

Other prices remain constant. N150 per modu for black, N170 per modu for white and N400 per modu for peeled
I am interested in this egusi business idea. How do I come in?
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 9:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
kindmman:

I am interested in this egusi business idea. How do I come in?

Replied you. However you may choose to wait till next season except you are ready to hold long term
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by KpagoGIN(m): 9:43am On Nov 08, 2016
dav8id:

@dav8id how can I be part of the sesame suppliers am interested being looking for a link to a firm
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by Olayimikami: 12:24pm On Nov 08, 2016
KpagoGIN:

@dav8id how can I be part of the sesame suppliers am interested being looking for a link to a firm

Sesame season is just about starting though it may be better if you pchat @dav8id, haven't seen him here in a while
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by KpagoGIN(m): 1:44pm On Nov 08, 2016
Olayimikami:

Sesame season is just about starting though it may be better if you pchat @dav8id, haven't seen him here in a while

@Olayimikami am keenly following your updates on this melon business keep it rolling in hoping on investing come next year.
Re: Long Awaited Egusi {Melon} Storage Business Season Is On Now by kindmman(m): 10:19pm On Nov 08, 2016
Olayimikami:

Replied you. However you may choose to wait till next season except you are ready to hold long term
Ok. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15)

PHOTOS: A Really Big Bush Meat A Nairalander Killed At His Farm / First 1 Acre Cucumber Farm In Ogun State Diary / The Major Garri Processing Machines With Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.