Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (868021 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Theyjih: 5:25pm On Dec 22, 2014
bayocanny:

Hey u better tell your grandma to behave normal make she no give me false info cus I fit slap her, meanwhile there are other way to enta without passing through the POE cheesy
Anyway I'm good o, how your side sir?

Platform 9¾ things? Ur head dey there die!! Lol grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by cybercaptive: 6:28pm On Dec 22, 2014
Please can anyone be kind enough to.give me the list of university in USA that doesn't require toefl or sat..?.Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 6:30pm On Dec 22, 2014
[quote author=aebenezer post=29078729]

Unfortunately I am heading to DeKalb, Illinois which is like 2 hrs 2 mins to Gales burg. PM me, so we could chat further.
[/quote
Have PM you. Am waiting for your reply oo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 6:37pm On Dec 22, 2014
jakeharris:
abeg when de ask me for my documents @ poe can i show them photocopies instead of the original

They'll most likely just ask for your Passport and I-20, but won't be bad to have other documents(original) handy just in case.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 7:07pm On Dec 22, 2014
Stewee:

Originals oooo!
Why would you wana show them photocopies naw, Hian!
Or don't you have the originals?
Stewwee, it's been a while. How's Miami ? I guess you have been flying like say u dey ride bicycle ,Oga call me grin, talk dey

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bayocanny: 8:50pm On Dec 22, 2014
grin
Theyjih:

Platform 9¾ things? Ur head dey there die!! Lol grin
na so my broda, even u will have your passport stamp grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by mcfarlin(m): 9:30pm On Dec 22, 2014
cybercaptive:
Please can anyone be kind enough to.give me the list of university in USA that doesn't require toefl or sat..?.Thanks in anticipation.

Guy I will advice you to register and write SAT and TOEFL to increase your chances of admission and also getting a student visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by landuseact: 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2014
Ok…..my transcript as I promised.

I woke up initially at 1am had to force myself to sleep back. Then I woke up some minutes to 4am had my bath. Then I left the house around past 5 and entered the car to the embassy. Finally got to queue up around 6am then I finally got into the consulate building and after submitting my documents I was sitting down, waiting to be called to a window for my interview. (I was there for a 6.30 appointment and everyone before me had their visa application denied). Finally I was called.
Me: Good morning (smile)
V.O: Good morning (smile)
V.O: I see that you are going for a masters in information technology (This was the course written on my i-20 but the course is actually Management information systems)
Me: actually its MIS
V.O: oh…….what’s the difference?
Me: information technology is just one aspect but MIS is the application of information systems in businesses and management procedures in order to be more efficient and effective.
V.O: ok…….so why did you apply to NIU?
Me: I applied to NIU because it’s one of the highly ranked schools when it comes to that course, in fact business week rated NIU’s business information systems No. 23 nationwide……….
V.O: (cuts in) can you tell me some of the courses you would be taking in your 1st year at the university.
Me: yes, Business geographics, business statistics, business information systems, graduate market survey…….
V.O: (cuts in) what is business geographics?
At this point, I was a bit speechless because I wasn’t expecting that question and I didn’t know the answer. So I had to form trying to remember.
Me: errr….well it is the errr…. Geography of business
V.O: (confused look)
Me: (confused + embarrassed look, because I was like wtf did I just say)
V.O: I’m sorry I don’t understand that
( at this point I remembered that when people talk about geography they usually say localization, so I used naija sense)
Me: When I said geography I meant localization of business information systems as it relates to locations of businesses.
V.O: oh…..ok
Me: (breathes a sigh of relief)
V.O: where did you have your undergraduate degree?
Me: Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
V.O: what was your major?
Me: Economics
V.O: did you do like any standardized exams like GRE?
Me: I took GMAT
V.O: oh….ok……so what was your scores.
Me: 640
V.O: oh (keeps typing)
VO: so did you apply to any other school?
Me: yes I did
V.O: which one?
Me: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
V.O: Where you admitted there?
Me: (with a soft smile) No, I wasn’t
V.O: ok, who is your sponsor
Me: my father
V.O: what does he do?
Me: he is the founder and managing partner xyz company, he is also an associate professor at abc university.
V.O: what do you do presently?
Me: I work as an administrative officer at xyz company, my father’s firm
V.O: (nods his head) but why where you particular about Illinois?
Me: it’s not like I was particular about Illinois, it’s just that both schools happen to be highly ranked in the course I was interested in.
V.O: but is there no other link to that state?
Me: ( at this point I knew he was looking at my information on his computer screen so I kuku said what he wanted to hear) actually my sister stays in that state and each time I travelled in the past I always stayed there, so I am already familiar with the area.
Before I could finish talking sef dude was already stretching his hand to hand me a piece of paper
V.O: ok, you have been approved of your visa and you should go to Isolo to pick up your passport. You would have to wait till like Monday or Tuesday because of the holidays. And you would be needing this at the point of entry (hands over my 1-20).

One thing I noticed was each time the V.O asked those applying for student visas before me why they picked their schools, they kept saying the schools had good facilities and the man would reply “what else?” Or “most American schools have good facilities so that is not a good reason, what else?” or he would ask how they heard about the school and none of them said they did research on their own but said stuff like someone told them about it or that they knew someone that went there. I want to thank God and thank all those that advised me on how to apply for emergency application on this thread. God bless you all

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Stewee(m): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2014
zeezahbee:
Stewwee, it's been a while. How's Miami ? I guess you have been flying like say u dey ride bicycle ,Oga call me grin, talk dey

Zeezee..LoL
Miami is there ooo.
Will ring you soon!
Lmao
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Stewee(m): 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2014
jakeharris:

i have all just wanted to know

Okay cool!
Have a safe flight!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2014
aebenezer:

Hey! My apologies. I did not get your personal message. Send PM instead to aebenezer@gmail.com....
I live few blocks around NIU.
The message I send to your email is reading fail to deliver,if you have another one kindly send it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2014
aebenezer:

aebenezer@gmail.com, adexelly@yahoo.com.

Have send you a message
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by udeyokay: 11:47pm On Dec 22, 2014
Please honourable members of this forum I need everybody to guide or critisize me on this my new transcript that I Intend presenting during my next interview( I have bsc science education physics grduated 2006, I have worked in a bank also I have been a lecturer in a college of education I am married presently, I deal on vehicles)
I Start like this
Me hellow good day
Vo hi
Vo What so special about western illinios university that made you choose this school?
Me among all the schools that I researched on the internet and I applied to, it is only western illinois university offers my intended graduate program as physics general,this gives way for both non educators and educators to enhance in their various fields and still get skills in diference areas of physics . Also it is only western illinois university encouraged me with international ambassador award scholarship in an authentic certificate this also inspired me in getting masters certifcate from this school
They have student to faculty ratio of 15:1 which gives a student easy assess to professors.
They are amoung to top universities in the midwest region
Vo how many schools do you applied to?
Me 3
Name university of central florida troy university and Western illinios
Vo How many accepts you
Me 2
Troy university and western illiniOs
Did you do any standardised exam ?
Me yes gre
Vo What's your score
Me 140 verbal and 141 for quad
Vo Who is goin to sponsor you
Me my self
Vo What do yo do
Me I have an sme which mainly based on diagnosing, repairing, servicing and selling of used vehicles
Vo can I see your bank act
Me 5.5m with consistent millions of inflow and outflow
Vo How much is your monthly income?
Me 500k
Vo how will this course enhance my present job
Me i don't know what to say again I guessed it was what put me in trouble the last interview
Please everybody should suggest how physics relate to car sells!!!
Vo do you have relations in the states
Me no

Please guru help me I beg

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Femicrux: 12:21am On Dec 23, 2014
Pls when writing a sponsorship letter, is this the right way to address it?

The Visa Officer,
US Consulate General,
2 Walter Carrington Crescent,
Victoria Island, Lagos.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dqn6606(m): 12:39am On Dec 23, 2014
‎Hi house! My respect to the Gurus on this forum! I thank God for the life of the owner(s) of this site and the creator(s) of this great, highly informative thread. May God reward  you all abundantly.

My transcript:
VO: are you Mr mysurname?
Me: yes myfirstname‎
VO: why did you choose UI? 
Me: I did cos, it's a prestigious institution, I will be able to benefit from a robust Xmsry Knowledge base courte‎sy of the professionals the dept boast of and I've got a research grp headed by Prof bla bla ... working on my area of research intr.(‎ VO nodding while listening )‎
VO: ‎ you are married? 
Me: yes ‎
VO: are you going with your fam?‎ 
Me: no, only me‎ for now
VO: got kids? ‎
Me: yes, 
VO: How many and age?
Me: told her but gave wrong age. Instead of weeks, I said months. I thought of correcting it but I guess I was nervous
VO: it has been approved 
Me: looking confused. 
VO: repeated herself, gave me I20, pick ur passport bla bla. That's all. Good luck! 
Me: still startled, I mumbled good luck LOL then said thank you and left slowly.‎

Tips:‎
Guys pray well, and prepare well  by going through this thread to see how to answer tricky questions.

I'll try to add more observations later.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dqn6606(m): 12:42am On Dec 23, 2014
coobboy:

congratulations too, we await ur transcript

Thanks man!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dqn6606(m): 12:43am On Dec 23, 2014
jenns:

#Congrat bro.

Thank you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dqn6606(m): 12:44am On Dec 23, 2014
seangy4konji:
Congrats.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dqn6606(m): 12:47am On Dec 23, 2014
JabinodelaRatta:
Congrats

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dqn6606(m): 12:49am On Dec 23, 2014
Amefrica:

Congratulations to you too.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Mystiqme: 1:50am On Dec 23, 2014
Udeyokay, what do you want to do with this degree? I ask because you seem to have done a bit of everything and you have a monthly income of 500k, which is a lot by Nigerian standards, so you need to convince the VO on how this degree will improve your current situation.
I don't see how physics relates to car business, but it doesn't have to. Check out Horayce's interview. He is a banker with an engineering degree who wants to go back to engineering.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by osahons9(m): 2:31am On Dec 23, 2014
[quote author=frankarecords post=29082992][/quote]

Oh really? Make I laugh small..Lolzzzz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by osahons9(m): 2:34am On Dec 23, 2014
ridimic1:

its on a 5.0

Alright then. But those schools that accept 2.7, isn't it on a scale of 4.0?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by osahons9(m): 2:39am On Dec 23, 2014
Booked 28th December....Royal air maroc. Ticket was less than 700 dos. One stop. 2 hours wait time
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by MsNas(f): 2:59am On Dec 23, 2014
Efiyefaa,

Given that you said you live in Los Angeles, which of the Cal States do you go? Northridge, LA or Long Beach? Then what do you need? What can I do to help?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Stewee(m): 3:37am On Dec 23, 2014
udeyokay:
Please honourable members of this forum I need everybody to guide or critisize me on this my new transcript that I Intend presenting during my next interview( I have bsc science education physics grduated 2006, I have worked in a bank also I have been a lecturer in a college of education I am married presently, I deal on vehicles)
I Start like this
Me hellow good day
Vo hi
Vo What so special about western illinios university that made you choose this school?
Me among all the schools that I researched on the internet and I applied to, it is only western illinois university offers my intended graduate program as physics general,this gives way for both non educators and educators to enhance in their various fields and still get skills in diference areas of physics . Also it is only western illinois university encouraged me with international ambassador award scholarship in an authentic certificate this also inspired me in getting masters certifcate from this school
They have student to faculty ratio of 15:1 which gives a student easy assess to professors.
Me 3
Vo How many accepts you
Me 2
Me yes gre
Vo What's your score
Me my self
Vo What do yo do
Me I have an sme which mainly based on diagnosing, repairing, servicing and selling of used vehicles
Me 500k
Me i don't know what to say again I guessed it was what put me in trouble the last interview
Me no

Bros you can simply tell the VO you want a career change(If you can develop points about your passion for physics and all that good stuff)...it's a long shot but at least it's something. at least you have a sme going and that can support you... Just develop good points to back your claims.

Or, You could apply to your school for some other course that's relates to you sme then change to physics(the love of your life).

..im just saying
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by udeyokay: 6:35am On Dec 23, 2014
[quote author=Stewee post=29123094]

Bros you can simply tell the VO you want a career change(If you can develop points about your passion for physics and all that good stuff)...it's a long shot but at least it's something. at least you have a sme going and that can support you... Just develop good points to back your claims.

Or, You could apply to your school for some other course that's relates to you sme then change to physics(the love of your life).

..im
But if the Vo asks me how would this my masters contribute to my present job
Then me say: No way, that the job is my present source of income I just need a career change which is inline with my 1st degree and presently, Nigerian Govement is bringing in companies that would start manufacturing their own vehicles now they are on the mission of discouragin people from buying used vehicles that is the more reason I want a career change and decided to complete my masters in my related course so that I could become a senior lectures in any of the top Nigeria universities .please guru contribute
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 23, 2014
udeyokay:
I Start like this
Me hellow good day
Vo hi
Me 3
Vo How many accepts you
Me 2
Me yes gre
Vo What's your score
Me my self
Vo What do yo do
Me 500k
Me no

I like the bolded part cuz while reading Ur story, deep in my mind; I was like this dude deceiving himself thinking or guessing how his interview will go. Anyways bro, VO won't ask u Ur scores but he might ask for score sheet, he won't ask how much is Ur income but might ask for bank statement and there is 80% chances you won't get the same questions you were asked from Ur previous interview cuz whoever will interview you next will see previous details on Ur profile and they re smart enough to know u might av well prepared to re-answer so get ready to be thrown off balance by the least unexpected questions. My advise is: you need to sit yourself down and ask Ur self genuinely what u wanna do this for and why this course, what's special about this university. You need to be honest with yourself first to tackle those psychologists. Forget about the encouraging words gurus will tell u here; I'm ma keep it 100 with u bro. I can't give you answers to your questions cuz I don't know what VO might ask u but I know one thing that car business ain't got nothing with physics. Gurus in the house will say what they gotta say but at the end of it all... U still gotta do your homework bro! All the best in your next shot!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 23, 2014
dqn6606:
‎Hi house! My respect to the Gurus on this forum! I thank God for the life of the owner(s) of this site and the creator(s) of this great, highly informative thread. May God reward  you all abundantly.

My transcript:
VO: are you Mr mysurname?
Me: yes myfirstname‎
VO: why did you choose UI? 
Me: I did cos, it's a prestigious institution, I will be able to benefit from a robust Xmsry Knowledge base courte‎sy of the professionals the dept boast of and I've got a research grp headed by Prof bla bla ... working on my area of research intr.(‎ VO nodding while listening )‎
VO: ‎ you are married? 
Me: yes ‎
VO: are you going with your fam?‎ 
Me: no, only me‎ for now
VO: got kids? ‎
Me: yes, 
VO: How many and age?
Me: told her but gave wrong age. Instead of weeks, I said months. I thought of correcting it but I guess I was nervous
VO: it has been approved 
Me: looking confused. 
VO: repeated herself, gave me I20, pick ur passport bla bla. That's all. Good luck! 
Me: still startled, I mumbled good luck LOL then said thank you and left slowly.‎

Tips:‎
Guys pray well, and prepare well  by going through this thread to see how to answer tricky questions.

I'll try to add more observations later.

Congrats bro. The moment you told VO you r married with kids was the end of the interview! Enjoy your stay in America!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by abbeymaniak(m): 9:56am On Dec 23, 2014
Pls why is everyone choosing UI, jes my observation

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.