Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (239) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (868262 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by efiyefaa: 12:27am On Dec 22, 2014
PLEASE GURUS GOOD AFTERNOON
WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO GET SSN. AND OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT?
DO I NEED A PASSPORT FOR THOSE? I ONLY HAVE STUDENT ID .
#missingpassport
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by MsNas(f): 12:31am On Dec 22, 2014
efiyefaa:
PLEASE GURUS GOOD AFTERNOON
WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO GET SSN. AND OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT?
DO I NEED A PASSPORT FOR THOSE? I ONLY HAVE STUDENT ID .
#missingpassport
Thanks
Depends on the agreement your school has/haf with a bank. In dome cases, you might be allowed to open a bank account with only your school ID and some other docs. But truthfully, The chances are bleak.

What did you do to the Etihad staff that lost your passport?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 22, 2014
efiyefaa:
MY TRAVEL STORY PART 2.
Hey all how are you great i hope congrats to new visa holders!
So my story continues.... I requested water from the air host but was so shaky that i poured half of it all over everybody around! i was soo embarrassed i wanted the ground to open up and let me pass underground to my seat! i got to my seat the flight to Abu Dhabi was uneventful, except that they UN-boarded one guy( i dunno why). we got to Abu Dhabi they have a USA border control point there so it was like landing at a USA POE. the USA C.B.P( Customs and border Protection) officer requested my I-20 and Sevis fee receipt i gave it to him, he took my finger print and a picture, then suddenly said i was too early that i am supposed to show up next week and not this week so i have to go back and return! oh boy!!! poo nearly comot for yansh! i was like WHAT? He said yes that the date on my I-20 shows that 30 days is supposed top start a week from now, but i should hold on he would have to take it to his superiors so i followed him to the secondary waiting area he put my docs in an envelop and told me to wait. this was 30 mins to my flight take off i sat down and did a serious prayer session a white guy came out called my name and asked me why i showed up too early, i explained to him that according to the dates i have i am actually coming on the after the first day of my 30 days he asked for proof of that then i gave him my admission letter he read it, took it to someone else and told the person i was right that its the schools fault apparently the dates on my admission letter and I-20 are different so they went thru my bag saw my fish dint raise any eyebrows about it helped me seal it up properly, by this time the airline staff was there to ask if the plane was going to go without me they said no that i am done they should wait for me, so they stamped my passport and off i went on a mad dash to catch up with the plane again!
i got in successfully, drank water(thankfully i didn't pour it on anyone lol) the flight to LAX was uneventful too just loooooong. i got to lax didn't have to go through border patrol again just straight to baggage claim then discovered my bags were both missing! i filed a report some of etihad staffs came gave me forms to fill and all that, another one came, a lady called Mona she asked for my passport that she wanted to take a picture of it i gave it to her, then she gave me an envelop with 40dolls as compensation while they look for the bags thinking my passport was amongst what she gave me i walked away. as i got to the door i started checking for my passport alas it wasn't with me i quickly went back i didn't see it ion the floor so i went to her and she claimed to have given it to me. all the other people there said they saw me give her but didn't take note to see her return it. and THAT IS HOW MY PASSPORT GOT LOST! its been 2weeks now still haven't seen it the Nigerian embassies are all 4-8 hours away by air! they said i have to come physically for a new passport or wait till April when they come to Los Angeles. I have informed my school of the situation and they said its no problem that im safe, whenever i get a new passport i should just bring it in. but my question to the gurus in the house is this
CAN I GET SSN WITHOUT PASSPORT?
CAN I OPEN BANK ACCOUNT WITHOUT PASSPORT?
I need to be able to work so i can pay my rent and other things.
PLEASE HELP A VERY SCARED SISTER IN OBAMALAND WITHOUT PASSPORT

Are you for real shocked chaii dem dey worry u ooooo from Lagos to America. My sister u go conquer them. God is your strength.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:59am On Dec 22, 2014
Efiyefaa, Omoh your story get as e be oo. Did you try to do something about who lost your passport?

Regarding opening of account, I can't categorically say about US, but when I applied for my Social Insurance Number, they requested for my passport. I'm sure you need your passport to apply for SSN in US, they wanna input the issued date/expiry date, passport no etc on the system.

Regarding, opening an account. You need at least two IDs, so if you have your school ID and other ID like Driver's license you're fine. ...but wait oo, they requested for my SIN too, which I applied for with my passport.

I guess before you can make any move regarding those, you have to get your passport first. I stand to be corrected tho, since I'm talking explicitly about Canada.

Success in your endeavours, and hang in there . smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by efiyefaa: 2:07am On Dec 22, 2014
Thank you all for your encouraging words! @msnas and amefrica the lady is insisting she gave it to me so its now a case oh her word against mine. I'm looking at another one bug would need to have a job so I can make endsmeet for my personal items before April when the Nigeria embassy will visit LA
That's just my worry . and no ssn means no job.
Jehovah will see me thru!but I'm soo scared!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:12am On Dec 22, 2014
efiyefaa:
Thank you all for your encouraging words! @msnas and amefrica the lady is insisting she gave it to me so its now a case oh her word against mine. I'm looking at another one bug would need to have a job so I can make endsmeet for my personal items before April when the Nigeria embassy will visit LA

Too sad you can't work legally without SSN, God won't stop being your provider. smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 5:14am On Dec 22, 2014
profojah:

Thanks baba imperouxxx
I even told her to get an affidavit and she should scan it along her Birth cert and send it to d school...but she said she kinda confuse on what to do...

That's just all they asked her.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Classicalmusic: 5:37am On Dec 22, 2014
bayocanny:

thanks for the above comment, God will continue to bless you abundantly
some people here dey talk as if na thier grandpa dey work for POE, telling someone that he can be sent back just because he has a return ticket, smsh
Hahahaha. You felt so frightened initially, right? You just thought how could they send you back to Nigeria after getting your visa? I think what the first person meant was that if you mess up with the questions at POE and all that, while the other was much more professional in her response. But don't worry, it's okay.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 5:44am On Dec 22, 2014
Ok sir. Really grateful.
Wish you a merry christmas and happy new year in advance.
imperiouxx:

And for this reason and for many others that have been asking about student's reviews of schools, this website http://www.studentsreview.com/ gives first hand info about schools directly from the present and ex-students.

Just type the name of the school in the red circle in the image and click on "go".

Always based your conclusion on the school's grade for "Education Quality" and read the comments.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Classicalmusic: 6:12am On Dec 22, 2014
efiyefaa:
Don't be so scared. While in America, you have to pray continuously. Seems like some unscrupulous elements wanted to pinch you but they didn't get you. Pray always okay?

Now, the lady claimed that she gave you back the passport. You could have requested for camera view.

Your documents are so important. So do not play with them. I met a Nigerian man who wore a special pant for his passport and puts in there while sleeping in a hotel room. I asked Sir, what are you doing? He said my good son, if I put down my passport here while asleep, someone may just act funny and take it. I started laughing, the man was like you don't know that this passport is part of my life. Stay there and be asking me Jamb questions cheesy

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 22, 2014
profojah:

Slimmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyy the boss...mhen ure too much brother ...really appreciate u and that great akokite(Innovativeame) today...u guyz really made my day...God bless u much bro....ur head is extremely and extraordinarily valid....
anytime bro. Thanks for the reception
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by abbeymaniak(m): 7:13am On Dec 22, 2014
imperiouxx:

If you send your credentials without first registering AND paying them to get your REF number, it will be like throwing needle into haystack.

You know how finding the needle will be like..... don't you?

Lolz.. tanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by abbeymaniak(m): 7:17am On Dec 22, 2014
zeezahbee:
You mean waec result or your bachelors, if the school didn't specify WEs, look for another evaluation agency
If the school is asking you to evaluate waec result Abeg find another school, that's way to stressful but if it's for bachelors then you can go ahead with Wes. Go to Wes.org , apply and follow the instructions

Ok thanks it's actually my ND and HND, but I haven't applied yet till next year ma, and also I was told I can av d evaluation done b4 I av any skool in mind and after I get a skool I can jes tell Wes to send d evaluated result to d skool wit d charge of am Sme cost. Pls enlighten me more ooo abeg ooo, Information is d key.. tanks in anticipation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by landuseact: 9:05am On Dec 22, 2014
1st person granted student visa this morning at the us consulate lagos. Transcript coming soon. Thanks to all the ogas here that helped me. Glory to God.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by jenns(m): 9:35am On Dec 22, 2014
landuseact:
1st person granted student visa this morning at the us consulate lagos. Transcript coming soon. Thanks to all the ogas here that helped me. Glory to God.

#First person to wish you #congrat also @ the Lagos state.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 9:42am On Dec 22, 2014
landuseact:
Congrat

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 22, 2014
landuseact:
congratz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 22, 2014
slimmy05:
congratz

Did you get my email?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 22, 2014
Congrats
landuseact:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by repsin(m): 10:19am On Dec 22, 2014
I was also in this same situation. There was a mistake on my DOB on my transcript. Instead of 1988 they put 1986. I sent it like that to all my schools but only Rutgers University emailed me that there was an error on my DOB. I replied and explained to them that it's from my school and I have contacted them to rectify it. I was admitted. So ur friend should email them or probably get a note from his school on this issue
profojah:
Please house ...A friend really need u guyz help...

The date of birth on her transcript issued by her school doesn't correlate with d ones on every of her other documents and certificates...One of schools she applied to mailed her that she should get a proof that the transcript belongs to her (tho d transcript was sent directly from her school)...she's trying to ask what to do and hope this won't alter her admission from dis school and d other schools she applied to...
This is d message she got from her school

Dear Name
We have received your online college net application for the Fall semester of 2015 for a Master’s of Science in Geology in our College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Houston.  Upon placing your files in our system for review, we noticed a discrepancy in your date of birth. Could please verify the correct date of birth by providing proof of your actual date of birth so that we can continue to process your application immediately.

Thank you very much
Sincerely.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by repsin(m): 10:20am On Dec 22, 2014
Flying qatar on dec 26? Let's hook up.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by repsin(m): 10:22am On Dec 22, 2014
profojah:

Thanks baba imperouxxx
I even told her to get an affidavit and she should scan it along her Birth cert and send it to d school...but she said she kinda confuse on what to do...
that's the right thing to do
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by seangy4konji: 10:28am On Dec 22, 2014
Congrats.r u going for graduate studies?
landuseact:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 22, 2014
repsin:
I was also in this same situation. There was a mistake on my DOB on my transcript. Instead of 1988 they put 1986. I sent it like that to all my schools but only Rutgers University emailed me that there was an error on my DOB. I replied and explained to them that it's from my school and I have contacted them to rectify it. I was admitted. So ur friend should email them or probably get a note from his school on this issue
OK boss... Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bayocanny: 10:34am On Dec 22, 2014
grin
MsNas:

Lol. You'll be fine with either a return or one way ticket. All the best jare

Thanks mami, u too gbaski
2 agege bread for u and a pack of dried fish grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bayocanny: 10:41am On Dec 22, 2014
Classicalmusic:
Hahahaha. You felt so frightened initially, right? You just thought how could they send you back to Nigeria after getting your visa? I think what the first person meant was that if you mess up with the questions at POE and all that, while the other was much more professional in her response. But don't worry, it's okay.
yes u are right that was initially, but the second person explain more explicitly and it make sense
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by mcfarlin(m): 10:46am On Dec 22, 2014
landuseact:

Congrats!!

Ps:first person to like your post cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 22, 2014
bayocanny:

thanks for the above comment, God will continue to bless you abundantly
some people here dey talk as if na thier grandpa dey work for POE, telling someone that he can be sent back just because he has a return ticket, smsh
Lwkmd.....bayo don over-vex....No vex broda
My grandma dey work for POE...just direct all ur inquiry to her grin
how u dey boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 22, 2014
sabiguy:

Did you get my email?
yeah I did get the mail. Would check and when am done would get back to you. Don't worry it won't take time
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 22, 2014
slimmy05:
yeah I did get the mail. Would check and when am done would get back to you. Don't worry it won't take time

Aight thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 22, 2014
landuseact:
Congratz

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.