Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,843 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? (37631 Views)

Five Nigerian Rappers That Have Succesfully Transitioned To Singing ( Photos ) / Top 6 Nigerian Rappers That Are Worth Listening To / The Top 10 Richest Female Rappers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by write2obi(m): 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
Op where is Sola? Aka Weird MC? undecided . grin

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Troll: 1:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex: Lauryn Hill is the best female rapper ever - it's not even close.

She's so good, she's definitely top 15 greatest rappers ever - male and female combined!

Lauryn Hill best female rapper ever?
She was so good She did her best in one album and that was it. It doesn't make her the best ever.
Yea she was lauded with multiple Grammy awards in her first feat (A well written album with wonderful vocal performance -the edge she had over femcees back then cos most don't sing they actually do RAP)

Not to be mistaken, Lauryn can spit fire if she wants to but she just didn't build up on the success of her epic album and that was an epic fail.

Lauryn Hill made the Hip-hop community proud with one feat - That makes her a hero but not the greatest.

Personally, Lauryn Hill = Rap Hero | MC Lyte = Rap Legend

BTW Consistency is what is lacking in the Female Rap Scene (maybe cos of age factor/motherhood) Undoubtedly, Trina is the most consistent femcee in the rap industry with her sixth album in the works spanning over a decade.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by experimentist: 1:26pm On Aug 28, 2014
phantom:

grin grin.....bros....many of the peeps here are kids.
many of them no go know LOR.
No mind all these napkin-@ss* motherfuckin kiddos.. The Dog Pound b!tch is not to be Bleep'ed with.. Lol, reminds me of one of her joint.. 'Unfuckwitable'..
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GuyFawkes: 1:27pm On Aug 28, 2014
Did any one mention Non-chalant?
5'o clock in the morning what u gonna do,remember that track?

Well she's now a butcher in a grocery store in DC cry
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by experimentist: 1:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
GuyFawkes: Did any one mention Non-chalant?
bleeps nonchalant..
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
Troll:
She was so good She did her best in one album and that was it. It doesn't make her the best ever.
Yea she was lauded with multiple Grammy awards in her first feat (A well written album with wonderful vocal performance -the edge she had over femcees back then cos most don't sing they actually do RAP)

Not to be mistaken, Lauryn can spit fire if she wants to but she just didn't build up on the success of her epic album and that was an epic fail.

Lauryn Hill made the Hip-hop community proud with one feat - That makes her a hero but not the greatest.

BTW Consistency is what is lacking in the Female Rap Scene (maybe cos of age factor/motherhood) Undoubtedly, Trina is the most consistent femcee in the rap industry with her sixth album in the works spanning over a decade.

Ever heard about the Fugees? Well, she was part of that group and the only good rapper in the mix - Wyclef and Pras were garbage. grin That's more albums on her body of work.

And the fact that her solo album was a classic - and one the greatest hip hop albums ever should tell you that none of these other female rappers should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Lauryn Hill. Er, I'll give MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, and Monie Love a pass - those are pioneers. Maybe Missy, Left Eye, and Eve because they made a lot of bangers. I like Remy Ma as well.

Trina and a lot of the other female rapper didn't even write their own rhymes.

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by kendrick93(m): 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre: Who's forgotten Remy from Terror Squad clique

This bit*ch spit flames like a dragon

She's in Jail now.
she was released last month
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

She's out of jail and she's still hard as fvck.

She's on a tune with DJ Khalid and another one with Jadakiss and French Montana - she went in on both tracks.

And she looks prettier now.

She destroyed Fat Joe on "Lean Back." grin

R to the Ezzy
M to the whizz-i
My arms stay breezy,
The Dons stay fizz-i
Got a date at 8, I'm in the 740 fizz-i

Oh I see!

Will check out her new material, she must have aged a bit though.

Haha she killed that track, the beats on Lean back was/still is one of the do*ppest hip pop beat I've ever heard, that track was crazy!!

It's sad terror squad has been greatly diminished

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by phantom(m): 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
experimentist: No mind all these napkin-@ss* motherfuckin kiddos.. The Dog Pound b!tch is not to be Bleep'ed with.. Lol, reminds me of one of her joint.. 'Unfuckwitable'..

[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6kstVEKPI[/youtube]
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by gidjah(m): 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
Superstar007: Erm erm. . Nicki minaj nkor
WERTALKIN MATUREADULT RAPPERS pls,not baby singers who sing wit computers alone and sing junk out of dead vocal box!i rep the 70's and will never be able to cope wit d junk this generation of artist r dishing out as songs!

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 1:42pm On Aug 28, 2014
Danhumprey: Wetin carry her go jail?

I think she tried to kill somebody.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 1:42pm On Aug 28, 2014
kendrick93: she was released last month

Yeah! Just finding out on this thread
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
GuyFawkes: Did any one mention Non-chalant?
5'o clock in the morning what u gonna do,remember that track?

Well she's now a butcher in a grocery store in DC cry

Lol @ butcher.

Heard Roxanne Shante now has a Ph.D - Queensbridge represent!

Where Gangsta Boo at?

Shout outs to those who mentioned Lady of Rage - queen of deathrow with the Afro Puffs!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by youngbest(m): 1:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
Foxy brown
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by phantom(m): 1:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
queen pen......party aint a party grin grin

[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF95dXw_1_c[/youtube]
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by kendrick93(m): 1:44pm On Aug 28, 2014
Troll:

yeah.its a big shame she didn't follow up dat album with another one. dat album was pure classic .
dat album is d greatest femcee album ever made imo
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by kendrick93(m): 1:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
Okudiover: cry cry cry cry Lauryn hill was sent to jail on tax evasion.
yeah. but she was released last year
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by experimentist: 1:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
phantom:

[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6kstVEKPI[/youtube]
naso jor
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre:

Oh I see!

Will check out her new material, she must have aged a bit though.

Haha she killed that track, the beats on Lean back was/still is one of the do*ppest hip pop beat I've ever heard, that track was crazy!!
It's sad terror squad has been greatly diminished

Lean Back had gangstas bopping - you just had to lean back.

And even Roy Jones was forced to lean back - Fat Joe is crazy for that line! grin

But Remy Ma dropped the most memorable line on that tune: "Like my necklace started relaxing now/ that's what the fvck I call a chain reaction" - hard!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GuyFawkes: 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
missojugo: Finally it hits me. I am too old to be on Nairaland. How can this small girls be making some peoples childhood. Where chaka kan and diana ross them? grin

Remember that track featuring Brandy,Chaka Khan,Tamia,&Gladys Knight- Missing You?
Was the STK to the movie Set it Off. smiley
Nostalgic memories
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 1:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
dasphinx1:

U forgot to add that Queen Latifah is now into movies and even has her own tv show.....

Mc Lyt is now a public speaker and the official voice over of BET Awards tho she still drops some bars once in a while.....

Remy Ma is out of jail

Queen Latifah is a lesbian now, she's out of shape and looks like she could be my mum. I'm not feeling her anymore.

Reminds of Mary J Blige (though not a rapper) where the hell is she anyway.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by WarHorse1(m): 1:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
berem: The list isn't complete without

Queen Pen
Foxy Brown
Non Challant
Yoyo

cool

You made ma day sist.

Wondering why they were not on the list.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Ibime(m): 1:53pm On Aug 28, 2014
Troll:

Leave dat tin. Fugees album nko? Even dat her album that everyone thought she went crazy, I'm sure it still outsold Trinas best selling album.

Biggie became a legend off two albums only. Nas was a legend after his first album.

Lauryn Hill has 3 pieces of work. She is the GFOAT.

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Angie96: 1:56pm On Aug 28, 2014
Miss them all.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by fittty(m): 1:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Their time don go
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 2:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Lean Back had gangstas bopping - you just had to lean back.

And even Roy Jones was forced to lean back - Fat Joe is crazy for that line! grin

But Remy Ma dropped the most memorable line on that tune: "Like my necklace started relaxing now/ that's what the fvck I call a chain reaction" - hard!

Hahaha, then she wrapped it up with something like " ain't nothing change, we still the same bla bla bla " lol

If you recall, N.O.R.E (noreaga) & Dj Khaled were that video, when they weren't yet fat.

I can't really remember if that tract came before or after New York by ja rule.

" I got a thousand hundred clips I'm from New York"

Lol that was ja rule's last hit
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Jesuspistol(m): 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
otipoju: me and you are from the same era... still love listening to music from that era when artistes would combine beautiful lyrics,nice story lines with tight beats ...not wack lyrics like "bo shen gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon g,bon gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon , you dey give me orebe orebe orebe !!!

Can't stop laffing. LOL
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GuyFawkes: 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Lol @ butcher.

Heard Roxanne Shante now has a Ph.D - Queensbridge represent!

Where Gangsta Boo at?

Shout outs to those who mentioned Lady of Rage - queen of deathrow with the Afro Puffs!

Roxanne Shante's Ph.D claims turned out to be false, couple of years back it was revealed.
She apologised later I think.
Not to discredit her anyway 'Roxanne's Revenge' track was da bomb.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre:
Hahaha, then she wrapped it up with something like " ain't nothing change, we still the same bla bla bla " lol

If you recall, N.O.R.E (noreaga) & Dj Khaled were that video, when they weren't yet fat.

I can't really remember if that tract came before or after New York by ja rule.

" I got a thousand hundred clips I'm from New York"

Lol that was ja rule's last hit

Word...flows just changed/now we 'bout to change the game. Those were the days man! BX and terror squad, even Tony Sunshine was on there smiling without never putting an album out. I swear Cuban Linx was also on it. Nore - that's my nyggah. Dj Khaled wasn't shouting "we the best" back then! grin

Bruv, I think it came out after "New York" - most likely after 50cent dropped "in da club."

However, that "New York" tune was definitely one track that made people actually feel like they were from New York. I'm not even going to lie, that track got me on New York hard - Jay Z's "Empire State" ft A.Keys didn't have the same effect on rap-heads. I'd say only Tupac's "To Live and Die in LA" touched me the same way.

Jadakiss murked the track though.

These bars from Jada's verse did it for me(goddamnit!!):

I swear it couldn't be sweeter
Life's a biiitch depending on how you treat her, you might get rich
It's guaranteed you gonna die, you might get missed
For maybe 2 or 3 hours, till they light their spliffs
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
GuyFawkes:
Roxanne Shante's Ph.D claims turned out to be false, couple of years back it was revealed.
She apologised later I think.
Not to discredit her anyway 'Roxanne's Revenge' track was da bomb.

Madness - lol.

Anyway, what do you think about Inga(Foxy Brown)?
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
Blockus: R.I.P to Aliyah & Left Eye.. Both these Biitches were the truth. I still listen to 'Never be the Same again' Mel C (of Spice Girls) just to hear Lefteye take a Mic and beat that song to death.. Ask for Aliyah, I have her entire discography and have an MP3 CD of it in all my whips.. Both these girls where Queen B's of the rap game..

Now To others like;

Lil Kim,
Da'Brat,
Ill Nana a.k.a Foxy Brown,
Missdemenor Elliot,
M.C Lyte,
Remy Ma
Queen Latifah
Eve
Salt-N-Pepa
Trina
Rah Digga
Rasheeda
Khia
Lil Mo
Lumidee
Erykah Badu
Ms. Dynamite
Diams
Roxanne Shanti
Kellis.

e.t.c..

These girls were the truth. They didnt do rap when it was all about just slutty music as such, these biitches could spit verses for days and even keep Male M.C's on their toes.

I guess music like with everything in life changes with time.

I still have everyone of these M.C's on my Laptop and jam them every chance i get.

Can I have your laptop embarassed please
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by M4gunners: 2:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
Eve is the best for me followed by Missy E.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10 Legendary Musicians Who Never Learned How To Read Music / BET Awards 2019 Winners (Full List) / [MP3 Download] The Cross My Gaze Album By Mercy Chinwo FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.