Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,879 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? (37639 Views)

Five Nigerian Rappers That Have Succesfully Transitioned To Singing ( Photos ) / Top 6 Nigerian Rappers That Are Worth Listening To / The Top 10 Richest Female Rappers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Blockus: 2:27pm On Aug 28, 2014
dimples2:

Can I have your laptop embarassed please

Lol..

Send me a floppy I would hook you up or open a dropbox account and share it and I may be able to upload some of em for you.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by jnrbayano(m): 2:29pm On Aug 28, 2014
vivaciousvivi:

Wetin? undecided

lipsrsealed
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
Blockus:

Lol..

Send me a floppy I would hook you up or open a dropbox account and share it and I may be able to upload some of em for you.

Wow! Thanks.

Uh! What is dropbox and how does it work?
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Blockus: 2:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
dimples2:

Wow! Thanks.

Uh! What is dropbox and how does it work?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dropbox&gws_rd=ssl
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Lero15(m): 2:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
Evathyst: Mtcheeww! Seems I don miss road self. Was lookin for a thread whr I'm be d first to comment. I no knw sey pple don comment full ground. Wetin concern me concern rap? Lyk seriously, no be pple wey get dada dey rap? grin
shocked grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GuyFawkes: 2:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Madness - lol.

Anyway, what do you think about Inga(Foxy Brown)?
Inga Fung Marchand grin
She was cool back in the mid 90's first noticed her with The Firm but that group didn't go no places. ILL NA NA was massive.
I was all about Lil Kim then though cos of the Bad Boy connections.
They were friends back in the days tho come to think of it,dunno how they went all nuclear on each other undecided
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Troll: 2:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Ever heard about the Fugees? Well, she was part of that group and the only good rapper in the mix - Wyclef and Pras were garbage. grin That's more albums on her body of work.

And the fact that her solo album was a classic - and one the greatest hip hop albums ever should tell you that none of these other female rappers should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Lauryn Hill. Er, I'll give MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, and Monie Love a pass - those are pioneers. Maybe Missy, Left Eye, and Eve because they made a lot of banogers. I like Remy Ma as well.

Trina and a lot of the other female rapper didn't even write their own rhymes.

The Fugees was a collective effort. Lauryn Hill as an artiste has only one outstanding album.
Well it boils down to personal opinions when it comes down to naming The Best female rapper of all time. Personally MC Lyte, Lauryn Hill and Queen Latifah are the only worthy competitors in my books.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nihilist: 2:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
Best female rapper of all time is Rick Ross.

I think she has the biggest b00bz too...though she also has a massive beard. Weird.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
GuyFawkes:
Inga Fung Marchand grin
She was cool back in the mid 90's first noticed her with The Firm but that group didn't go no places.
I was all Lil Kim then tho grin cos of the Bad Boy connections.
They were friendscome to think of it,dunno how they went all nuclear on each other undecided

Lol, I was west-coasted growing up and I overdosed on g-funk via my older brother - so I never really fvcked with Lil Kim and Bad Boy as record label(Tupac's voice lol). Loved a lot of East coast rappers and their hit tunes though. And I was heavy on Wu Tang, Def Squad, Nas, and Mobb Deep etc..

Dr. Dre killed The Firm - he just didn't know what to do with them, and the New York sound. Or perhaps they couldn't re-invent themselves like Ice Cube when I linked up with New York. But that was a super group - Nas, AZ, Nature, and Foxy - Cormega as well. Then again Steve Stoute is a culture vulture, I guess that's why it never worked out.

Love Inga, but when I discovered she didn't write her rhymes - that diminished everything. grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by oyeezee(m): 2:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nihilist: Best female rapper of all time is Rick Ross.

I think she has the biggest b00bz too...though she also has a massive beard. Weird.
Are you for real ? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
Troll:
The Fugees was a collective effort. Lauryn Hill as an artiste has only one outstanding album.
Well it boils down to personal opinions when it comes down to naming The Best female rapper of all time. Personally MC Lyte, Lauryn Hill and Queen Latifah are the only worthy competitors in my books.

Collective efforts or not, she stood out in Fugees.

Let me draw a comparison here - how does being part of Wu Tang stops Raekwon and Ghostface Killa from being two of the greatest rappers ever? And I'm a big Method man fan. Ditto Redman and being part of the Def Squad. Rakim was also with Eric B. Ice Cube and NWA. Kool G Rap started with Juice Crew. Etc.

Her album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" is greater than all the other female rappers combined. That's the Illmatic sequel in rap bible - timeless album! cool
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by oyeezee(m): 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
Superstar007:

I know that. I was only joking angry
undecided very funny then..... grin grin grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Blockus:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dropbox&gws_rd=ssl

Account name : floo chuks
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Blockus: 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
dimples2:

Account name : floo chuks

Cool...

Imma let you know as soon as I upload some files
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GuyFawkes: 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Lol, I was west-coasted growing up and I overdosed on g-funk via my older brother - so I never really fvcked with Lil Kim and Bad Boy as record label(Tupac's voice lol). Loved a lot of East coast rappers and their hit tunes though. And I was heavy on Wu Tang, Def Squad, Nas, and Mobb Deep etc..

Dr. Dre killed The Firm - he just didn't know what to do with them, and the New York sound. Or perhaps they couldn't re-invent themselves like Ice Cube when I linked up with New York. But that was a super group - Nas, AZ, Nature, and Foxy - Cormega as well. Then again Steve Stoute is a culture vulture, I guess that's why it never worked out.

Love Inga, but when I discovered she didn't write her rhymes - that diminished everything. grin
Remember The Firm was always up against Junior M.A.F.I.A.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Troll: 2:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
kendrick93: yeah.its a big shame she didn't follow up dat album with another one. dat album was pure classic .
dat album is d greatest femcee album ever made imo

Lauryn Hill was more of a Spit-fire in the Fugees. Her personal album was more of a toned-down yet lyrically rich hip-hop project. No doubt it's the most critically acclaimed hip-hop album of all time (the accollades it gathered speaks for itself)

Nevertheless my favorite Lauryn Hill bars was from Fugees:
"Yeah in saloons we drink Boone's and battle goons till high noon,
Bust rap toons on flat spoons, take no shorts like poon poon's.
See hoochies pop coochies, for Gucci's and Lucci
Find me in my Mitsubishi, eatin' sushi, bumpin' Fugees.
Hey Hey Hey
Try to take the crew and we don't play play
Say say say
Like Paul McCartney, not hardly,
ODD-ly enough
I can see right through your bluff
Niggas huff and they puff but they can't handle us, WE BUST
Cause we fortified, I could never hide, seen "Cooley High", Cried when Cochise died.
I'm twisted, black-listed by some other negroes,
Don't remove my Polos on the first episode.
Ha Ha Ha Ha, You shouldn't diss refugees, and
Ha Ha Ha Ha, You whole sound set's bootie , and
Ha Ha Ha Ha, You have to respect JERSEY, cause I'm superfly when I'm super-high on
the Fu-Gee-La." CC: The Fugees - Fu-Gee-La

"I play my enemies like a game of chess, where I rest, No stress
If you don't smoke sess, lest.
I must confess, my destiny's manifest
In some Goretex and sweats I make treks like I'm homeless
Rap orgies with Porgy and Bess,
Capture your bounty like Elliot Ness, YES
Bless you if you represent the Fu
But I'll hex you with some witch's brew if you're Doo Doo Voo Doo,
I can do what you do, easy, BELIEVE ME
Frontin' niggas give me hee-bee-gee-bees
So while you're imitating Al Capone
I'll be Nina Simone
And defacating on your microphone." CC: Fugees - Ready or Not

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
Ibime: All these comment na joke abi wetin?

No female emcee dead or alive, retired or active, ever came close to matching Lauryn Hill.

God bless u bro, I was wondering if anyone of them can stand lauryn hill, what about fugees, miseducation of lauryn hill, ready or not... I just love that babe
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 28, 2014
GuyFawkes:
Remember The Firm was always up against Junior M.A.F.I.A.

Yes - but that wasn't even a competition. Junior M.A.F.I.A stood no chance: rapper for rapper, and bars for bars. AZ alone had more bars than Biggie - sad he never really made it in the mainstream. His verse on "Life's a Biitch" is still the greatest hip hop verse ever to me - and he was like 18 or 19 when he dropped it.

And you've got Nas, and Nature. Foxy Brown shiits on Lil Kim everyday of the week! grin Queens run circles around Brooklyn! grin

Erm, AZ and Foxy are from BK but I gotta cede The Firm to Queensbridge.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Troll: 3:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
Some Lines From My Personal Favorite Femcee MC Lyte:
"Many have tried strict regulation.
Lazy motherf**kers get put on probation.
Those that didn't perform well.
They gets no answer when they ring-a-ring-a my bell.
You're playing with my time.
Trying to jerk me hurt me then dessert me.
You better work me.
While you got the oppurtunity.
To be in the midst of the L-Y-T-E.
Only the strong survive.
Only the wise excel.
Once said by my born-in-hell.
Only the lonely die slowly.
Left all alone try to control me.
Easy does it never ask how was it.
Never speak my info why my sheets in the streets.
Cause that ain't cool. And that ain't cute.
To talk about who knocked the boots on a video shoot.
But it's all good, though you gotta get it when you want it.
Like your prey, make your move and hop up on it.
It's natural. Never be ashamed.
F*ck the fame. Get the name, and kick the game." CC: MC Lyte - Keep On, Keepin' On

"Some say I'm SHADY (that's right) That's me
Complicated rap star, meet Lyte the MC
You see I'm on to you baby and your mechanism
How you hit it when you're in it, so hot you keep it sizzlin
No ooh-achie-koo, and all of that too
Keep me wetter than the waters of Kalamazoo
Nigga who you comin wit? Where your posse at?
I leave the boys alone, tell her you won't be back
I got the cheese baby; my cheddar's better
I got that milk, for that Amarett-ah
Trust-You-Me-I'll-Blow-Up-Shop
Have a little nig' callin the cops, watch!" CC: MC Lyte - Cold Rock A Party
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by BankuTilapia2: 3:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
Da real one

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nihilist: 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Yes - but that wasn't even a competition. Junior M.A.F.I.A stood no chance: rapper for rapper, and bars for bars. AZ alone had more bars than Biggie - sad he never really made it in the mainstream. His verse on "Life's a Biitch" is still the greatest hip hop verse ever to me - and he was like 18 or 19 when he dropped it.

And you've got Nas, and Nature. Foxy Brown shiits on Lil Kim everyday of the week! grin Queens run circles around Brooklyn! grin

AZ was underrated and unfortunately denied the spotlight by Nas's shade but it's disgraceful to compare him to Biggie lyrically
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GuyFawkes: 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Common bro Lil Kim shits all over Foxy Brown.
Hardcore is a classic,certified double platinum grin.Doubt Ill Na Na beat that although it was also a great album.
Show Queen Bee some love bro grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nihilist:

AZ was underrated and unfortunately denied the spotlight by Nas's shade but it's disgraceful to compare him to Biggie lyrically

But lyrically, was Biggie better than AZ?

Heck, a lot of rap heads and critics believe he was lyrically better than Nas back then - and Nas will always be better than Biggie.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by maxiipriestt: 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
music aint what it used to be no more with pretenders all trying to live up to the image set by their predecessors. i miss the good ol' days
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
GuyFawkes:
Common bro Lil Kim shits all over Foxy Brown.
Hardcore is a classic,certified double platinum grin.Doubt Ill Na Na beat that although it was also a great album.
Show Queen Bee some love bro grin

Queen Bee's bars are as fake as her face - no pun intended. grin She was Nicki Minaj before Nicki Minaj with the nauseating gimmicks, or should I say she "fathered"/"mothered" Nicki Minaj's style? grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by dasphinx1(m): 3:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre:

Queen Latifah is a lesbian now, she's out of shape and looks like she could be my mum. I'm not feeling her anymore.

Reminds of Mary J Blige (though not a rapper) where the hell is she anyway.

Mehn, I aint heard from MJB inna while o.......u so ryt about Queen Latifah
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GoldStandard: 3:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
Queen latifah is gay....... sad
So Lauryn Hill was on 'Killing me Softly'
Nicki minaj replaced Lil Kim
Left Eye's scrub still a good tune till date

Well well well.........*yawns* that's fame for you, it comes and goes
#AllNaVanity
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nihilist: 3:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

But lyrically, was Biggie better than AZ?

Heck, a lot of rap heads and critics believe he was lyrically better than Nas back then - and Nas will always be better than Biggie.

Nas has never been and will never be better than biggie IMO

Illmatic was Nas's magnum opus that was rightly lauded when it dropped in 94 mainly for the way he changed the game then.

Other than that, what other album or mixtape from his considerable body of work can be compared to biggie's 2 albums quality wise.

Remember biggie was crowned the king of NY when Nas should have been at the peak of his career.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
Good list but surprised no one has said anything about Non-Chalant
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nihilist:
Nas has never been and will never be better than biggie IMO

Illmatic was Nas's magnum opus that was rightly lauded when it dropped in 94 mainly for the way he changed the game then.

Other than that, what other album or mixtape from his considerable body of work can be compared to biggie's 2 albums quality wise.

Remember biggie was crowned the king of NY when Nas should have been at the peak of his career.

1). Nas is your favourite rapper's favourite rapper. He drops scientific, and mathematical bars - and metaphors that Professors had to analyse and break down for normal folks. How can a 17-year old guy think so deep and say, 'I went to hell for snuffing Jesus'? grin Nas is just on the next level. Biggie was a rhymer while Nas is a rap scientist.

2). Illmatic = greatest hip hop album ever. None of Biggie's albums is close.

3). "It was written" shiits on "Life After Death" everyday of the week. I can sit here and listen to "It was written" all day without skipping anything. However "Life After Death" has a lot fillers you just have to skip. Perhaps it's because it's a double CD album - but no one asked them to make it that way. And the single "If I Rule the World" shiits on all the singles on "Life After Death." That Biggie album is one of the most overrated ever. Stillmatic gets an honourable mention. cool

4). Being the self-proclaimed King of anywhere doesn't make you the best lyrically - it has more to do with popularity contest and commercial success. Is T.I better than Scarface, and can he lace Face's shoes lyrically? Ditto Andre 3stacks vs. T.I? It's not even close. But that didn't stop him from calling himself, "The King of the South."

P.S: not taking anything away from Biggie - he was great.

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by xtervaganza(m): 3:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
otipoju: me and you are from the same era... still love listening to music from that era when artistes would combine beautiful lyrics,nice story lines with tight beats ...not wack lyrics like "bo shen gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon g,bon gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon , you dey give me orebe orebe orebe !!!
lol
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by xtervaganza(m): 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre: Who's forgotten Remy from Terror Squad clique

This bit*ch spit flames like a dragon

She's in Jail now.
Remy ma us out of jail

I love her but she's an idiot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10 Legendary Musicians Who Never Learned How To Read Music / BET Awards 2019 Winners (Full List) / [MP3 Download] The Cross My Gaze Album By Mercy Chinwo FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.