Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? (37633 Views)

Five Nigerian Rappers That Have Succesfully Transitioned To Singing ( Photos ) / Top 6 Nigerian Rappers That Are Worth Listening To / The Top 10 Richest Female Rappers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by alotofgrace(m): 5:35am On Aug 28, 2014
1. Eve

Eve Jihan Jeffers-Cooper (born November 10, 1978)[1] is an American hip hop recording artist and actress from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She is also the inaugural winner of the Grammy Award for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration in 2002, for the song "Let Me Blow Ya Mind", with American singer Gwen Stefani. Eve was number 48 on VH1's "50 Greatest Women of the Video Era" list.

As an actress, Eve is known for her roles as Terri Jones in the films Barbershop and Barbershop 2: Back in Business, and as Shelley Williams on the UPN television sitcom Eve. She has also achieved success in fashion, with her clothing line, Fetish

2. Melissa Arnette "Missy" Elliott

born July 1, 1971 is an American rapper, singer-songwriter, and record producer. Her first major success came as a songwriter with childhood friend and producer Timbaland on projects for Aaliyah, Total, SWV, and 702. As a record producer and songwriter, she has worked with Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, and Janet Jackson, as well as contemporary artists Keyshia Cole, Ciara, G Dragon, Tamia and Monica.

In the late 1990s, Elliott expanded her career as a solo artist and rapper, eventually winning five Grammy Awards and selling over 30 million records in the United States.[1] Elliott is the only female rapper to have six albums certified platinum by the RIAA, including one double platinum for her 2002 album Under Construction.[2]

Elliott is also known for a series of hits and diverse music videos, including "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)", "Hot Boyz", "Get Ur Freak On", "Work It", and the Grammy award-winning video for "Lose Control."

Elliott's childhood was marked by trauma. When she was eight, she was raped on a regular basis by a 16-year-old cousin. The sexual abuse lasted for a year, until a relative discovered what was happening. She also witnessed her father's almost daily beatings of her mother. The situation had Elliott sending pleas for help to stars like Michael and Janet Jackson. Finally, when she was a teenager, Elliott and her mother left her father.

3. Lauryn Hill

There's no moment quite like when listening Lauryn Hill's vocal prowess on the Fugees' "Killing Me Softly." Every listen takes your breath away. Longtime collaborator, Pras, describes each moment as an awakening. While we patiently wait for a new effort from Ms. Hill, and as she overcomes adversaries and allegations, we bittersweetly listen to her past work as a member of the Fugees and her classic album, "The Miseducation" of Lauryn Hill." Read on as Pras shares memories of the singer-songwriter.
Lauryn Hill (born May 26, 1975) is an American singer–songwriter, rapper, producer, and actress. She is best known for being a member of the Fugees and for her solo album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

Raised in South Orange, New Jersey, Hill began singing with her music-oriented family during her childhood. She enjoyed success as an actress at an early age, appearing in a recurring role on the television soap opera As the World Turns and starring in the film Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. In high school, Hill was approached by Pras Michel to start a band, which his cousin Wyclef Jean soon joined. They renamed themselves the Fugees and released two studio albums, Blunted on Reality (1994) and the Grammy Award-winning The Score (1996), which sold six million copies in the United States. In the latter record, Hill rose to prominence with her African-American and Caribbean music influences, her rapping and singing, and a rendition of the hit "Killing Me Softly". Hill's tumultuous romantic relationship with Jean led to the split of the band in 1997 to focus on solo projects.

4. Dana Elaine Owens

born March 18, 1970, better known by her stage name Queen Latifah, is an American singer, songwriter, rapper, actress, model, television producer, record producer, comedienne, and talk show host. She has long been considered one of hip-hop's pioneer feminists.[3] Her work in music, film, and television has earned her a Golden Globe award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, two Image Awards, a Grammy Award, six additional Grammy nominations, an Emmy Award nomination and an Academy Award nomination.

5. Day 26: Lil' Kim

Kimberly Denise Jones (born July 11, 1974 or 1975)[1] known by her stage name Lil' Kim, is an American rapper, singer-songwriter, record producer, model, and actress. She was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, living much of her adolescent life on the streets after being expelled from home. In her teens, Jones would freestyle rap, heavily influenced by actress/singer Diana Ross, and fellow female hip-hop artists like MC Lyte and The Lady of Rage. Performing a freestyle rap for The Notorious B.I.G. got her music career start in 1995 with his group Junior M.A.F.I.A., whose debut album Conspiracy generated three hit singles
Lil' Kim is undeniably one of the best do it. She's been ahead of the game as a musician and fashion icon, since being introduced to the world by the late Notorious B.I.G in the mid-90s. Currently pregnant with her first child, Lil' Kim is balancing impending motherhood with time in the studio, making sure to continue on the creative path she's been on since day one.

Beginnings
"Since I was a little girl, I used to always be the only girl in my group. My family was full of boys. When they needed an extra man to play football, it'd be me filling that space. They didn't treat me like a sister. They would play with me like I was one of the guys. I was always one of the guys."

6. Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes

Lisa Nicole Lopes (May 27, 1971 – April 25, 2002), better known by her stage name Left Eye, was an American rapper, singer, dancer, musician, and songwriter. She achieved fame as a member of the R&B girl group TLC. Lopes contributed her self-written raps to many of TLC's hit singles, including "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg", "What About Your Friends", "Hat 2 da Back", "No Scrubs", "Waterfalls", "Girl Talk". Lopes won four Grammy Awards for her work with TLC.
Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes' booming voice and creativity were infectious. Throughout her lifetime, she strove to remain outside the box and undoubtedly broke boundaries for herself, TLC, and women everywhere. Twenty-years later, her legacy still stands strong through the VH1 movie, "CrazySexyCool," a platinum-selling discography and memories shared by the two women who knew her best: Chilli and T-Boz.
On April 25, 2002, Lopes was killed in an automobile accident in La Ceiba, Honduras. She was driving the vehicle, when she swerved off the road to avoid hitting another vehicle. She was thrown from her own vehicle and later died from her injuries. The last days of her life were filmed from March 30, 2002 until her death on April 25, 2002, including the accident that took her life. The footage was made into a documentary called The Last Days of Left Eye. It aired on VH1's rock docs on May 19, 2007, eight days prior to Lopes' 36th birthday.

7. Da Brat

[img]http://static.wetpaint.me/celebrity-body-transformation/ROOT/photos/630/72113803-1394743114.jpg[/img]

born Shawntae Harris; April 14, 1974 in Joliet, Illinois) is an American Grammy-nominated rapper and actress. Her debut album, Funkdafied (1994), sold one million copies, making her the first female solo rap act to have a platinum-selling album, and the second overall female rap act (solo or group) after Salt N Pepa. Harris is the younger half-sister of actress LisaRaye McCoy.
It's been a long road for Da Brat over the last several years, with her jail sentence and lawsuits following a bar fight in 2007.

The "Is It Chu" rapper was involved in a fight at an Atlanta nightclub, where she violently bottled former Atlanta Falcons cheerleader Shayla Stevens. Da Brat, whose real name is Shawntae Harris, plead guilty to aggravated assault and was sentenced to three years in prison.

Not only that, but the lawsuit cost the rapper a pretty penny. Da Brat owes $6.4 million in damages to the woman she fought.

It looks like all of the legal drama and jail time has made Da Brat a new person. In this photo from the VH1 Hip Hop Honors in New York City in 2006, the rapper is wearing super baggy jeans, a white t-shirt, a hoodie, and sneakers on the red carpet. Her hair is bright red and she seems to be showing off her 'tude in the pic.

8. MC Lyte

(born Lana Michele Moorer; October 11, 1970) is an American rapper who first gained fame in the late 1980s, becoming the first solo female rapper to release a full album with 1988's critically acclaimed Lyte as a Rock.[4] She has long been considered one of hip-hop's pioneer feminists.
Began rapping when she was 12; father Nat Robinson founded the First Priority record label, 1987; released first single, "I Cram to Understand U (Sam)," 1987; released Lyte as a Rock, 1988; released Eyes on This, 1989; single "Cha Cha Cha," reached number one on the rap charts; became the first rapper to perform at Carnegie Hall, 1990; released Act Like You Know, 1991; Ain't No Other, 1993; was nominated for a Grammy award for Best Rap Single for "Ruffneck" and earned the first-ever gold certification for record sales by a female rap artist; signed to Elektra and released Bad As I Wanna B, 1996; earned her second gold record for "Keep On Keepin' On," 1996; released Seven & Seven, 1998; acted on TV's Moesha, In the House, New York Undercover, For Your Love, and in the film A Luv Tale; began doing voice-overs, founded her own management company, Duke Da Moon Productions; signed a three-year deal with Sirius Satellite Radio.

9. Salt-N-Pepa

Salt-N-Pepa is an American hip hop duo from Queens, New York,[1][2] The group, consisting of Cheryl James ("Salt"wink, Sandra Denton ("Pepa"wink, and Deidra Roper ("DJ Spinderella"wink. The group was formed in 1985 and was one of the first all-female rap crews. [3][4] Salt-n-Pepa has won a total of 5 awards; Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group (1995), MTV Video Music Award for Best Electronic Dance Music Video (1994), MTV Video Music Award for Best Choreography (1994), MTV Video Music Award for Best R&B Video (1994) and BET Hip Hop Awards I Am Hip-Hop Icon Award (2010).
The group entered pop music at a time when rap music was believed to be a fad and record companies were reluctant to sign rap artists.[5] Originally calling themselves Super Nature (on their first single), James and Denton debuted in 1985 with the single "The Showstopper", an answer record to Doug E. Fresh's hit single "The Show".[2] "The Showstopper" was produced by Hurby Azor. The song utilized a melody from the 1984 film Revenge of the Nerds. The finished recording garnered some airplay on a New York City rap radio program. The independent Pop Art Records gave it an official release, and "The Showstopper" became a modest R&B hit.[2] Salt-n-Pepa made their impact on hip-hop by being the first all women rap group. They found power through their sexuality. With lots of concerns about sexist lyrics and video clips that objectified women’s bodies in hip hop music, many feminists disliked rap and hip-hop music because of its bad reputation of women. However, Salt-n-Pepa flipped the script and changed the look of hip-hop. They wore scanty, sexy clothing and were not afraid to talk about sex and their thoughts about men. Their song “Let’s Talk About Sex” was a huge hit.

10. Sweet Tee

Sweet Tee (born Toi Jackson) is an American rapper, who was signed to MCA Records in the 1980s. She scored minor chart success with her debut album, It's Tee Time, which peaked at #31 on the US Billboard R&B chart.[1] She scored four chart hit singles from her debut album. These included "I Got da Feelin'" (#48 US R&B, #31 UK Singles Chart), "On the Smooth Tip" (#36 US R&B) and "Why Did It Have to Be Me". In the UK, "It's Like That Y'All" peaked in the Top 40.[2]

In 1995, Sweet Tee released the single "What's Up Star?" under the moniker Suga. As of 2010, the artist's Facebook page, once again using the name Sweet Tee, reported that she is back in the studio, and a sneak peek of "Queen of QNZ" can also be found online.

"I Got da Feelin'" formed the basis of a piano based house track by the UK based act Tin Tin Out, who sampled Sweet Tee's lyrics in their track "The Feeling", which reached #32 in the UK Singles Chart. The track was credited to Tin Tin Out featuring Sweet Tee.[3]

She is the cousin of the infamous radio personality Troi Torain a.k.a. DJ Star of Star & Bucwild.

Her stage name may be the influence for the nickname of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia character, Dee Reynolds (Sweet Dee).

sources: http://www.answers.com, http://en.wikipedia.org, https://answers.yahoo.com

Did you ever miss these rappers?

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by talk2riel: 5:50am On Aug 28, 2014
Are there still female rappers?
I jam songs from 1992- 2002

13 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by otipoju(m): 6:11am On Aug 28, 2014
me and you are from the same era... still love listening to music from that era when artistes would combine beautiful lyrics,nice story lines with tight beats ...not wack lyrics like "bo shen gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon gbon , you dey give me orebe orebe orebe !!!

101 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Omexonomy: 6:25am On Aug 28, 2014
When it comes to female rapping my own list
1. Queen latifah
2. Left eye R.I.P
3.missy eliott
4. Eve.
But when it comes to best female solo artist i will give every thing to Anita baker the great grand mother of the 70s and 80s. Only 2% of nairalanders were born then the rest were in womb waiting for the future esp all the mods and supper mods

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by freshness2020: 6:28am On Aug 28, 2014
Life is seasonal... They have come and gone..
I rep the 80 buggies!
Still a fan of 'em! Eve n Missy are my Favourites !

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by alotofgrace(m): 7:08am On Aug 28, 2014
talk2riel: Are there still female rappers?
I jam songs from 1992- 2002

i wouldnt say u came late, buh u somehow missed, not much sha

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by alotofgrace(m): 7:10am On Aug 28, 2014
Omexonomy: When it comes to female rapping my own list
1. Queen latifah
2. Left eye R.I.P
3.missy eliott
4. Eve.
But when it comes to best female solo artist i will give every thing to Anita baker the great grand mother of the 70s and 80s. Only 2% of nairalanders were born then the rest were in womb waiting for the future esp all the mods and supper mods

how could i have missed her shocked dou she wasnt a rapper

she even has an hairstyle to her name

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Omexonomy: 7:17am On Aug 28, 2014
alotofgrace:

how could i have missed her shocked

she even has an hairstyle to her name
i fogot to add shina twain madona and patra though some sildren like seun and mukina2 might know her.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by rawpadgin(m): 7:19am On Aug 28, 2014
Missy is the best female rapper ever. IMO though

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by hotmolo(m): 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
Missy elliot eve lil kim... Legends

3 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by igbsam(m): 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
Lisa Left Eye is late na............

We still have our First Lady, Sasha P. She's still struggling to remain in the limelight, even though the likes of Eva etc shielding her away.

Truth be told, the female rappers of today are singing trash. We missed music of those good ol days. Even the males sings trash the most.

4 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by allanphash7(m): 9:27am On Aug 28, 2014
what about Patra (the queen of the pack)

10 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Swizdoe(m): 9:28am On Aug 28, 2014
This life na turn by turn........ Their time has come and gone...... I miss left Eye(R.I.P) and missy elliot

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by afribookorg(m): 9:28am On Aug 28, 2014
grin

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Superstar007(m): 9:29am On Aug 28, 2014
Erm erm. . Nicki minaj nkor
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 1stola: 9:29am On Aug 28, 2014
Missy Eliot
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Guykhena(m): 9:30am On Aug 28, 2014
Lil Kim
Nicki stole her spotlight grin

5 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by keypad1: 9:30am On Aug 28, 2014
i love patra.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 9:30am On Aug 28, 2014
Monie Love.

9 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by eyoniggar(m): 9:30am On Aug 28, 2014
is this Mod high? why post same thread to fp twice?
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Hit like if you are here to read comments

4 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Op, i no sabi all but at least, i score like 7/10.
Hmmm I thought Eve use to be on low-cut. She's looking different here o.
*modified*
Those days foreign music have say in Nigeria. But these days 9ja music rocks and more entertaining...

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by lancelot4son(m): 9:32am On Aug 28, 2014
I love the feeling,quite nolstagic
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by keypad1: 9:32am On Aug 28, 2014
Omexonomy: i fogot to add shina twain though some sildren like seun and mukina2 might know her.
olodo rabata... Shania twain is a country musician oooo

8 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Shedysworld(m): 9:32am On Aug 28, 2014
Seriously miss these ladies in the Game.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 9:33am On Aug 28, 2014
Who's forgotten Remy from Terror Squad clique

This bit*ch spit flames like a dragon

She's in Jail now.

8 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Okudiover(m): 9:33am On Aug 28, 2014
grin grin grin grin Most of them female rappers were born in the 70s (awesome decade) they didn't make my childhood they made my youth hood in the 1990s and early 2000s. But man don old oh!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 28, 2014
allanphash7: what about Patra (the queen of the pack)
keypad1: i love patra.
patra is a dancehall musician

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10 Legendary Musicians Who Never Learned How To Read Music / BET Awards 2019 Winners (Full List) / [MP3 Download] The Cross My Gaze Album By Mercy Chinwo FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.