Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,246 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Who Is A Guy With Potential? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is A Guy With Potential? (33343 Views)

Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / How Much Should A Potential Nigerian Husband Earn? / Why Do Some Mothers Reject Potential Suitors For Their Daughters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
damiso:

If I had to go by what potential might be to most people of the two men my Dad would be the more obvious choice as the lady could become a first lady in future while with my husband she might probably end up with 1, 2, 3 mortgages in the UK 1 or 2 houses in Naija kids well educated a normal/comfortable life with a pension fund/some investments to fall back on in old age.

To highly ambitious people like my Dad frankly that is mediocre and that is why I always believe sucess is relative.

P.S. I am not saying my husband is not driven but he is more family investment oriented.I try not to dwell on the resources that my Dad squandered to realise his ambition cos that was his ambition and we are all entitled to chase what we consider our visions.Funny enough I actually love politics (hubby teases me the way o follow political issues in Nigeria I guess it's in the blood as a teenager my Dad took me to campaign rallies I actually campaigned for SDP and Abiola back in the day grin) its just that I feel that ambition or' potential' actually robbed his immediate family of a better quality of life of it had been channeled into more investments.

I have been privileged to have know very wealthy people. I mean extremely wealthy people and all I can say is that we all don't even need the kinda amounts we think we need. No one needs the kind of money Bill Gates has. $65 billion is more than some countries GDP and quite frankly, that was never his ambition.

So where does being content come in. Where does refusing to go chase that deal because you want to spend more time with your family or refusing a job because it will keep you away from the family. There are some kind of wealth that brings headache with it, because you are up all the timing trying to preserve the wealth and ensure people dont steal from you - cos they will try to.

So when it comes to potential, it has to be to provide a comfortable life for one's family. Five houses is too much sef, you spend all your time fighting tenants. How many can you live in? I think we also need to balance drive with just being content and being able to live life in the present and just generally enjoy life.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
onegig: Which actually does not tend to happiness. It thins out at a point. Any extra cash you earn does not add a pint of happiness to you. So why push things so hard? Also Prosperity in the context used by her aint greatness or a show of potentials.

I completely agree. My post above addresses some of your points.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
I am a big proponent for ACTION.
This is not about "bros before hoez", I'll say it as it is... some guys are just shameless.

They go through life without the requisite drive and hussle needed to change their situation. They could even be living off family members for years.
All they do is complain about how everything else in life didn't work out for them. How they went to the wrong school. How nobody told them something etc etc. Meanwhile, in the area I live in, small boys are finishing even secondary school and running off to rigs to make sick money.

This is the same person who would want to be opening his mouth to be talking to a full-blown woman about marriage.
How can you be talking to someone about that sort of thing when you can't even take care of your monthly expenses without borrowing money? When you don't even have a career or at least a business powered by PROOF OF RETURNS enough to live off of comfortably (engineer or businessman, all na career).

This just says this is a man that does not count the cost of things before starting them, and no woman will/should subject herself to the leadership of such an unpragmatic person.

But no, you will see a guy that has nothing about themselves, still talking and talking and DOING nothing to advance these talks into reality.
Guys, if you are reading this and it is biting you, then that is your own spirit convicting you. Use some of all that energy you are wasting talking to SHUT UP and FOCUS on getting your sh|t in order.

-2buff

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by winner01(m): 10:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
marieolae: sick nd tired of men stero typing ladies
sorry dear, its true in most cases.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by baby124: 10:58pm On Sep 03, 2014
Potential means someone who is young and has drive, most of all is hard working and putting all his dreams into action without looking for self pity and blaming others for his/her problems. Even if such a person fails, they get up and fight harder because they know where they are going.

A person with potential is a go-getter, not a talker but an action person. Potential does not mean someone's potential future salary because the person can lose the job tomorrow. Potential means the guy/girl can sell sand to an Arab legitimately. With such people it is assured that hunger will be far from those who associate with them.

N.B Potential does not include over 50yr olds who are in their mother's house and 5 years from retirement with no visible hustle or source of living. Except you are ok with maigida living.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by doziej84: 11:14pm On Sep 03, 2014
2buff: I am a big proponent for ACTION.
This is not about "bros before hoez", I'll say it as it is... some guys are just shameless.
They go through life without the requisite drive and hussle needed to change their situation. They could even be living off family members for years.
All they do is complain about how everything else in life didn't work out for them. How they went to the wrong school. How nobody told them something etc etc. Meanwhile, in the area I live in, small boys are finishing even secondary school and running off to rigs to make sick money.
This is the same person who would want to be opening his mouth to be talking to a full-blown woman about marriage.
How can you be talking to someone about that sort of thing when you can't even take care of your monthly expenses without borrowing money? When you don't even have a career or at least a business powered by PROOF OF RETURNS enough to live off of comfortably (engineer or businessman, all na career).
This just says this is a man that does not count the cost of things before starting them, and no woman will/should subject herself to the leadership of such an unpragmatic person.
But no, you will see a guy that has nothing about themselves, still talking and talking and DOING nothing to advance these talks into reality.
Guys, if you are reading this and it is biting you, then that is your own spirit convicting you. Use some of all that energy you are wasting talking to SHUT UP and FOCUS on getting your sh|t in order.
-2buff

@2buff, with reference to this line "small boys are finishing even secondary school and running off to rigs" . Is there any information you can pass across to me that i can benefit from. Am searching for something, even if na deckhand or roustabout. am interested.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Arsenate(m): 11:29pm On Sep 03, 2014
2buff: I am a big proponent for ACTION.
-2buff
shut up woman wrapper. for your mind you don yarn true talk.
keep encouraging girls to wait or go for rich made men in the name of potential. at the end, most will only be used and dumped cos there are far too many ladies chasing the few made guys out there.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Waspy(m): 11:35pm On Sep 03, 2014
Sometimes, potentials need a little "pops and preps" here and there. God bless the girls that give the ”pops and preps".
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by flyca: 12:40am On Sep 04, 2014
Moredew:
so its gud for a lady to be in her fathers's house nd feed fat.
Ok o

Yes! Afterall, a lot still go and come back.
Besides, she will have other suitors tongue
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by flyca: 12:41am On Sep 04, 2014
winner01: most Nigerian girls don't have your type of patience, you'll make a good wife.

Tnk u
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by red101(f): 12:44am On Sep 04, 2014
Most of us normal people have to settle for a guy with "potential" or woman with "inner beauty"
grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by adconline(m): 4:09am On Sep 04, 2014
kaboninc:

I had to copy this definition from Google to buttress my point

Potential: latent qualities or abilities (sic: skill) that may be developed and lead to future success or usefulness.

You can confirm if you so wish.

Micheal Jordan has a physical attribute (height) but used it to his advantage. Potential here is the ability to 'lift' while tirelessly working on how to perfect it. The result paid off. Same applies to all other athletes you mentioned. There are some guys who are taller than Micheal Jordan but do they play basketball?
MJ has some unique athletic ability as gift..had he not worked hard, he would have still been better than Nate Robison. Potentiality as espoused by Aristotle, is that which has the " possibility" of happening while actuality is that, which is currently happening and it's referred to as entelechy.. Refer to ur Philosophy 101 manual.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by baralkrishna09: 4:38am On Sep 04, 2014
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Olaone1: 9:31am On Sep 04, 2014
red101: Most of us normal people have to settle for guy with "potential" and woman with "inner beauty"
grin
When options are limited.

Or, in our 30s
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 12:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
crackhaus:
I particularly like the part about 'vessels'.

Pray tell, what kind of words are you referring to @emboldened?
Positive words? Affirmative words?

Edit:
Let's twist it up a little..yea?

Who is a woman with potential? cool

Generally, He'll talk about his plans......you'll see him acting it out in the way he can.
The way a person talks generally is an indicator of who they are and the amount of self worth they place on themselves.

A woman with potential.....hmmmmm
I presume in this case we're talking about a wife material?

Okay grin

Her appearance and the way she speaks in a serious conversation are two good indicators.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 04, 2014
TV01:

disclaimer: I was not at all interested in what my wife earned when I met her. I noted her impecabble make-up and hair, watched her stride about in impossibly high chunky heels and a tight-fitting mermaid dress. Snap her fingers and run things - all the while nodding my head. Then she knelt down to pick something up, my jaw hit the ground and I said "da.y.um, I do believe I've met my bride". Potential ke? Everything had potented already grin!

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 12:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi:

Her appearance and the way she speaks in a serious conversation are two good indicators.

Can you explain further what u mean

Is the desired wife all about appearance and carriage ...?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi:

Okay grin

I think a woman with potential and wife material are two different things. A woman with potential may not necessarily be wife material and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by crackhaus: 1:22pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi:

Generally, He'll talk about his plans......you'll see him acting it out in the way he can.
The way a person talks generally is an indicator of who they are and the amount of self worth they place on themselves.

Okay grin

Unless you're saying a man with potential equates to husband material, then I don't see how a woman with potential equates to wife material. grin

Your definition @emboldened is a little vague, don't you think?
What I mean is it doesn't touch on some important criteria used in the alternate definition of 'a guy with potential'.

That said, I believe TV's concept of 'Hypergamy' in women (regarding what they see as potential) is becoming more credible cool
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by crackhaus: 1:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
cococandy, please help throw some light on this as well.

How do you define a woman with potential..
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Olaone1: 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2014
A woman with potential = wife material

A man with potential = millions of Naira.

That's the stark and unequivocal truth.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 2:32pm On Sep 04, 2014
My dear I can't really type now.
But I gave a close-to-home example a while back.
Just go thru' my posts.

crackhaus: cococandy, please help throw some light on this as well.

How do you define a woman with potential..
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by onyeogalu1(m): 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
So on point
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 6:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
crackhaus:
Unless you're saying a man with potential equates to husband material, then I don't see how a woman with potential equates to wife material. grin

Your definition @emboldened is a little vague, don't you think?
What I mean is it doesn't touch on some important criteria used in the alternate definition of 'a guy with potential'.

That said, I believe TV's concept of 'Hypergamy' in women (regarding what they see as potential) is becoming more credible cool

Okay, before writing further, I think it's inorder to ask "a woman with potential for what exactly?"
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 6:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nashville:

I think a woman with potential and wife material are two different things. A woman with potential may not necessarily be wife material and vice versa.
True, that.....that's why I just asked crackhaus "a potential for what exactly" I didn't read the original post. I just followed him from my dashboard. Enlighten me please?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 7:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
pickabeau1:

Can you explain further what u mean

Is the desired wife all about appearance and carriage ...?
Certainly Not! I just mentioned that they are two good indicators. Carriage has barely nothing to do with the kind of appearance I'm talking of here. It goes beyond the physical, what she wears or doesn't. It has to do with individual perception of the aura surrounding her, the kind of energy she exudes: positive or negative, attractive or repelling...........you get?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by crackhaus: 7:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi: Okay, before writing further, I think it's inorder to ask "a woman with potential for what exactly?"
Potential for long term commitment, same as the topic regarding guys.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 7:11pm On Sep 04, 2014
crackhaus:
Potential for long term commitment, same as the topic regarding guys.
Pardon my asking further; in a relationship or marriage?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by crackhaus: 7:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi: Pardon my asking further; in a relationship or marriage?
Lol..you're over thinking it.

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when one is talking about 'potential' in another person of the opposite sex?
I believe there's a theory that states one should not date a person they don't see themselves marrying.

Your answer is, in a relationship that may lead to marriage.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 7:23pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi: Certainly Not! I just mentioned that they are two good indicators. Carriage has barely nothing to do with the kind of appearance I'm talking of here. It goes beyond the physical, what she wears or doesn't. It has to do with individual perception of the aura surrounding her, the kind of energy she exudes: positive or negative, attractive or repelling...........you get?

On a ketro level..metaphysical.. cheesy

How come some women generally don't use these same parameters for guys
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 7:30pm On Sep 04, 2014
pickabeau1:

On a ketro level..metaphysical.. cheesy

How come some women generally don't use these same parameters for guys
It's a different strokes for different folks thang, methinks
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 7:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
crackhaus:
Lol..you're over thinking it.

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when one is talking about 'potential' in another person of the opposite sex?
I believe there's a theory that states one should not date a person they don't see themselves marrying.

Your answer is, in a relationship that may lead to marriage.
LoL cheesy There's nothing I say now that Ihedi hasn't, albeit in different words. You get?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Boy's Converstaion With His 'Deadbeat' Dad About Christmas Gift Sparks Debate / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money / Man Fights Wife For Not Using Vibrator After He Traveled Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.