Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,214 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. (46824 Views)

Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market / Akon Signs Wizkid,psquare And Tubaba / Psquare And 2face - Possibility (with lyrics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 1:22pm On Sep 05, 2014
I saw it yesterday on soundcity.
Its only music video enthusiast and people that know quality that will know that that video is overrated.
There have been a lot of flaws from the directing segment..

I could not help But notice the copy cat behavior in the video .. In one of the scenes they were in the park way driving
And turning their head left to right.. That's an exact scene from usher - you don't have to call. one of the parts before TI rapped in the club scene I could not help but notice some shots from ushers“ yeah ” club scene. To mention a few.. Their phonetics was so not original. And also considering its a red camera used I thought the video could have been sharper and cinematic.. It would have been better if moe musa handled that video. for me its a no no. its not only in this video ... I have noticed all this copy cat and fake life style syndrome in a few others.

Illbliss feat Phyno - Anam Achi Kwanu.
The scene that had paper rolls at the background was copied straight from french montana, p diddy fet rick ross - shot caller.. It was so easy to notice

There was another one with phyno that they copied robin thicke and pharell.. And they pay up to 2million just for this.. I can go on and on

Pls we need creativity in this industry. A few are doing good.. But back to this video .. Its overrated..

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by abbey621(m): 1:25pm On Sep 05, 2014
Sick and tired of people who know nothing about music criticizing artiste for their hardwork. Abeg OP get a life! Music geniuses like psquare and co. don't need your approval, if you are too blind to see that they are trying to explore other musical dimensions, if you are too narrow minded to know that American music market is also filled with many tracks which wouldn't make much sense to Nigerians then write your own songs and put it out there for the world to see. Instead of you guys to enjoy and appreciate the fact that you are alive to see Nigerian artiste mixing it up with their foreign counterparts, instead of you all to savor the moment and encourage them, you come on nairaland to display your contempt and outright ignorance. FYI----They also got two new tracks, 'Shekini' and 'Bring it on', feel free to criticize those also!

8 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Sunshinelady(f): 1:25pm On Sep 05, 2014
Neldrizzy: what do you Nigerians actually want?? They sing love song, you complain, they sing party song, you also complain dat they r copying, they dance, you complain, is either yu pple complain of 2much repeatation of lyrics or you complain of copying of beat..... Oga see ehn, this ejeajo song is 1st of its kind in Nigeria! The pattern is different and unique And they deserve applause for the effort, give them their credit pls or are you a hatter or sadist??
. My dear am truelly surprised. I even prefer dis Ejeajo to a lot of their oda videos. I tink we shuld check dat OP, mayb u posted dis crap while comin out of d beer parlour

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by LilPeezy(m): 1:27pm On Sep 05, 2014
@OP u high b4 u post dis nonsense?u berra wake up ur idea b4 pant start 2 dey wear u.....Free d boiz n focus on ur business!!!!!Abeg who knw wia sauce kid hide put?is been a while ooo
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by joelenesleek(f): 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2014
kenbee: "joblessness" na him cause some one to come up with this piece of jargon when he can not even do a track that can break into his own street market.

Come back in few months time and do the song review. the latest three tracks are sure club bangers!

Haters will always do their job.
whatever field you find yourself you should deliver the best, they are good and we appreciate them in Africa. Because they make money out of it doesn't make it good, our brothers from the east make good money from fake drugs. I got used to the fact that the recycle their beats and tunes but crossing the Atlantic to be usher / Chris Brown makes no sense they have so many of them there. They should just stick to our oghene and keggite music.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iconize(m): 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2014
Silly lazy asss Nigerians! Ever ready to condemn people's handwork.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 1:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya: Just watched the first minute. Production (video and audio) was very amateur. I guess the budget got spent on T.I.

Exactly.. Pls scroll a bit up and read my post
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Abagworo(m): 1:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
I'm feeling their song "Shekini". Don't know but it sounds like Runtown's work.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by KunAviero(m): 1:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
Okaaaaaaaay, so this explains why I keep playing the song, yet unable to listen to it for up to a minute? PSquare, this one ain't right at all.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Neldrizzy(m): 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2014
Sunshinelady: . My dear am truelly surprised. I even prefer dis Ejeajo to a lot of their oda videos. I tink we shuld check dat OP, mayb u posted dis crap while comin out of d beer parlour
@bolded Lollll cheesy grin gringrin .... On a serious note, this song is not even bad, considering the genre and pattern.. Nigerians and kpangola music sha!

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by 50calibre(m): 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2014
Breaking into the American music scene remains a tall order for Nigerian artists, because most are bunch of wannabes.

I stopped halfway through their Ejaejo joke of a video, T.I fell off big time, I wonder how much they payed him to appear in that nonsense.

Unlike America, Africa has a rich culture, a culture that's attractive to anyone, anywhere, we've got great dance moves, greats sounds, great music but Nigerian artists choose instead to make themselves inferior substitutes.

You can't take ice to iceland, to win the people, give them something fresh.

Good music has no boundaries, it transcends language or race. I think African artists have the potential to make it big in America, they've just got to find that originality. Many Africans in the west relate to African music, start by winning them over first, then it will spread. Last year, Skelewu was a hit in the UK, it started in the African community before spreading to the others.

Carribean & Latino music are big in America, guys like Sean Paul, Junior Reid, Don Omar, Wisin & Yandel all made it in America.

5 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 1:33pm On Sep 05, 2014
hensben: justin bibier is not a rapper lol, he is one overrated kid

I wish I had that boys contact. I will be his dope dealer.. Straight from calakuta lol.. Cos the boy is a fine but overrated junkie and just wants to feel among. And like a black guy
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Neldrizzy(m): 1:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
LilPeezy: @OP u high b4 u post dis nonsense?u berra wake up ur idea b4 pant start 2 dey wear u.....Free d boiz n focus on ur business!!!!!Abeg who knw wia sauce kid hide put ?is been a while ooo
Lollll @ bolded, sauce kid don run go America, he was unable 2 compete with vector,iceprince, phemom, M-I
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Boss13: 1:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
I disagree with the OP on some points. Yes the song lacked class because it was funk and lifted off kook and the gang but we all know P-Square is good with copying. Yes the American public may not appreciate this song cos it like having Pasuma wonder doing rap music. African must stay original and stop being like black Americans. Look at the Jamaicans, the world appreciates their kind of music. An African rapper is a rap clown to the Americans because first and foremost what do you know that your rapping about.

However, I think P-Square is still doing a good job and creating some relevance on the continent.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by harffie(m): 1:35pm On Sep 05, 2014
Download link pls!
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 1:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
50calibre: Breaking into the American music scene remains a tall order for Nigerian artists, because most are bunch of wannabes.

I stopped halfway through their Ejaejo joke of a video, T.I fell off big time, I wonder how much they payed him to appear in that nonsense.

Unlike America, Africa has a rich culture, a culture that's attractive to anyone, anywhere, we've got great dance moves, greats sounds, great music but Nigerian artists choose instead to make themselves inferior substitutes.

Good music has no boundaries, it transcends language or race. I think African artists have the potential to make it big in America, they've just got to find that originality. Many Africans in the west relate to African music, start by winning them over first, then it will spread. Last year, Skelewu was a hit in the UK, it started in the African community & before spreading to the others.

Carribean & Latino music is big in America, guys like Sean Paul, Junior Reid, Don Omar, Wisin & Yandel all made it in America.

Bless u!! Have u seen the crap iceprince has been doing and people are banging their heads.. Honestly a lot might not admit it but a lot of blacks have inferiority complex.. Asides that!! Shout out to all the african acts that can sing with their indigenous language and still rock the continent!!!

4 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Neldrizzy(m): 1:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
Abagworo: [s]I'm feeling their song "Shekini". Don't know but it sounds like Runtown's work[/s] .
guy do you have any work doing? If no, pls find something 2 do and engage ue sef #smellos
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 1:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
Inferior complex, I think you are not a Nigerian and jealous of the Nigerian music breaking through. Even if it happens to be that you are a Nigerian,the level of your stupidity is at alarming rate. I think you need to go back to school. Olodo.

RedEboe: Till date I have been unable to watch Psquare's Ejeajo music video from begining to end for no other reason than the fact that i find that video/song utterly disgraceful.

Most devoted/diehard Psquare fans feel the same way too, but many will not say a word; some keep on replaying Ejeajo, hoping the song will eventually grow on them...its not happening.

Psquare has released its first major flop and the inclusion of American rapper T.I will not save them this time around.

The Ejeajo song sounded below average, ordinary, nothing catchy, no rhythm and to sum it all up, totally tasteless. It seems as though the sole purpose of this song was just to feature T.I and break into the American market.

I can bet my very last kobo that any American (Black) who's opportuned to watch Ejeajo video will laugh off his seat saying, "Who are these African booty scratchers trying too hard to sound like us and dance better than Usher?"
I felt the same way watching Peter Okoye putting in so much "gra gra" into his dance moves.

But on a serious note, about Nigerian artistes wanting to break into the American market; do these Nigerian artistes think that the Jay Zs, P Diddys and Dr Dre's will sit back and watch Nigerian music break into US Hip hop market? Especially in an America where music and sports are the few things black Americans can really hold on to. So they (Black American artistes) will allow some black African musician to come in and steal their domestic market share?

Nigerian music is already big in many African countries like Kenya,Zambia,Ghana and even South Africa. Do we think indigenous artistes and music promoters in these African countries are happy with Nigerians dominating their respective music scenes?

Why will Black Americans not stay proactive and stop Nigerian music from gaining foothold in their market?

Now here's the truth,someone should tell Psquare that its time to go back to the drawing board and re-invent themselves. I don't know the duo's football age but i'm guessing they are in their mid thirties. When dancing musicians start growing older or maturing, they concentrate more on the quality of their music, where more matured dance steps are incorporated. 'Matured dance steps' here simply means slow but sleeker dance moves, just like USHER in GOOD KISSER. And definitely not the 'gra gra' Peter Okoye was showcasing in Ejeajo, epecially to a lousy song.

I think it's time the Okoye twins take a break from music for some time; perhaps they can go concentrate on their respective marriages or try to mentor younger musicians with the ability to sing and dance.

After a few years, Psquare can return with a new style and sound.

For now,Psquare has lost it and i hope their closest fans and admirers tell them this truth before it's too late.

Remember Dbanj?

4 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 1:39pm On Sep 05, 2014
Boss13: I disagree with the OP on some points. Yes the song lacked class because it was funk and lifted off kook and the gang but we all know P-Square is good with copying. Yes the American public may not appreciate this song cos it like having Pasuma wonder doing rap music. African must stay original and stop being like black Americans. Look at the Jamaicans, the world appreciates their kind of music. An African rapper is a rap clown to the Americans because first and foremost what do you know that your rapping about.

However, I think P-Square is still doing a good job and creating some relevance on the continent.

I clap for u!!! Matured talk tho!!

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by chusks(m): 1:39pm On Sep 05, 2014
As far as op has badmouth dis luvly song den it's safe 4me to say this to d op;

go

n

wise up!!!

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by homesteady(m): 1:42pm On Sep 05, 2014
those of you saying the video is wack, please you people should stop using videos you watch on YOUTUBE to judge its quality! Download the high quality version of the song and watch!

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by icycoolmik: 1:42pm On Sep 05, 2014
I love the song and the video, it's a different type of 'flow' for them. IT'S COOL. HATERZ WILL ALWAYZ HATE!!!
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by ducii: 1:44pm On Sep 05, 2014
For me I like the fact that they are trying other things and experiencing a different type of sound. It doesn't have to be everybody's cup of tea. Just enjoy the music and move on. That is T.I we are talking about, one of the biggest rappers in the rap game. Do you know how many America rappers will die to be on the same track with T.I? and this boys are achieving these feats from Nigeria. Give them props it is not easy. Imagine if P Square were Ghanaians, you could Imagine how they will be on here saying how much their musicians were better than ours.

3 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by sexzskil(f): 1:48pm On Sep 05, 2014
johnwizey: We are on the same side on this. The video is rubbish, the song no sweet sef. When I downloaded the video and showed it to a friend he merely asked me to forward it to TI's part. I think they are loosing it and they should try and go back to the old Psquare we knew. They should try and be original and not try to sound like one foreign artist.
well, they have been fake since 2003, imitating their two mentors, Usher and Jackson
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
50calibre: Breaking into the American music scene remains a tall order for Nigerian artists, because most are bunch of wannabes.

Good music has no boundaries, it transcends language or race. I think African artists have the potential to make it big in America, they've just got to find that originality. Many Africans in the west relate to African music, start by winning them over first, then it will spread. Last year, Skelewu was a hit in the UK, it started in the African community & before spreading to the others.

Carribean & Latino music is big in America, guys like Sean Paul, Junior Reid, Don Omar, Wisin & Yandel all made it in America.

@ the bold - did the "skelewu" actually cross-over into the mainstream in the UK, by charting - or it was just big in the African community? I don't think it charted, to be honest. I think Dbanj's "Oliver Twist" is the only naija music that has made the charts in the UK(and maybe some next Afro-house music made by a next naija guy in the UK...I don't even know if it made the charts but it was on mainstream TV and radio all the time). And the only reason why "Oliver Twist" made the charts was because the title was based on one of Charles Dickens greatest and most widely read books - smart hustling move and marketing ploy by the machine behind Dbanj. But he's faded into oblivion after that, and returned to the underground African community, where naija music belongs.

Also, I think American culture created all the genres of music in that country...like Jazz, neo-soul, rock and roll, hip-hop etc. which came from the African American culture. And if you're going to imitate it, at least make sure you understand it, and make it as good as the original - not the terrible form of imitation of naija music - which has made them look like culture vultures. Hence a K'naan can be from Somalia, make rap music, and still be accepted American hip-hop heads. And an Amy Winehouse can be from London, make soul and jazz, and still be accepted in America. However, naija artists are just hustlers - most of them neither understand the concept of music nor have the talents - just catchy hooks over a loud beat and that's it. That's why someone like Ice Prince can go on BET and say, "my bars are like fish" and this guy is one of the best rappers in afrobeats - absolutely shocking. You definitely can't expect people from other climes, who own the culture to take you seriously when you do that. Just stick to your market and keep hustling there. Regardless, I can't knock their hustle as long as they can keep getting 'em cheques and keep putting food on their mums' table.

African culture far richer than what these folks are projecting. And we should be pushing the likes of Nneka. She makes great African music.

10 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
M nt even a p-square fan and I love d energy in the video...not all songs are meant to be "hits"...they jus had some fun wid T.I on the video and gonna make name and money outta it...so....op lock!
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2014
ducii: For me I like the fact that they are trying other things and experiencing a different type of sound. It doesn't have to be everybody's cup of tea. Just enjoy the music and move on. That is T.I we are talking about, one of the biggest rappers in the rap game. Do you know how many America rappers will die to be on the same track with T.I? and this boys are achieving these feats from Nigeria. Give them props it is not easy. Imagine if P Square were Ghanaians, you could Imagine how they will be on here saying how much their musicians were better than ours.

Mr don't bring that in cos the likes of 2face have done songs with bennie man and the song was still wack.m it does not change tthe fact that this song and video is wack . U can scroll up to check my previous post so u understand what am saying
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by olumzz(m): 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2014
bigass: Its funny you Judged and condemned Psquare on just one song. To you because of this song Psquare's carrier finished and can never make it again. funnily, i like the song.

please do me a favour whenever you go to a club and they are playing chop my money, alingo, personally, testimony etc please sit down, dont dance just say in your mind its over for Psquare.

In essence your criticism was too absolute. your judged and condemned PSQAURE future relevance solely on one song. Next time criticize the song leave the musician.

Its like criticizing Russel Crow on the flop Film Noah and conclude.... his career is finshed
shocked Mami, is dat u in ur pic? shocked
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 1:58pm On Sep 05, 2014
sexzskil:
well, they have been fake since 2003, imitating their two mentors, Usher and Jackson

Talk of an honest person.. Let me not ewven start with clarence cos he did hyper trash..

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by chucky234(m): 2:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
melojames: M.I and Wizkid are the two big Nigerian artists i believe can break into the American music industry.
Two most overrated artists in Nigeria, both are wack.

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
Criticising musicians that are balling while you are eating garri, you don chop?
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Navalsadiq(m): 2:12pm On Sep 05, 2014
Even if the song na ley ley,paulo and peter they smile go bank.nairalanders just they ley ley their self with hatred.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) / 10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Davido Performs At Eniola Badmus' 20 Years On Stage Party, Bows To Greet Kwam 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.