Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. (46848 Views)

Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market / Akon Signs Wizkid,psquare And Tubaba / Psquare And 2face - Possibility (with lyrics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by clemmonce(m): 2:12pm On Sep 05, 2014
RedEboe: Till date I have been unable to watch Psquare's Ejeajo music video from begining to end for no other reason than the fact that i find that video/song utterly disgraceful.

Most devoted/diehard Psquare fans feel the same way too, but many will not say a word; some keep on replaying Ejeajo, hoping the song will eventually grow on them...its not happening.

Psquare has released its first major flop and the inclusion of American rapper T.I will not save them this time around.

The Ejeajo song sounded below average, ordinary, nothing catchy, no rhythm and to sum it all up, totally tasteless. It seems as though the sole purpose of this song was just to feature T.I and break into the American market.

I can bet my very last kobo that any American (Black) who's opportuned to watch Ejeajo video will laugh off his seat saying, "Who are these African booty scratchers trying too hard to sound like us and dance better than Usher?"
I felt the same way watching Peter Okoye putting in so much "gra gra" into his dance moves.

But on a serious note, about Nigerian artistes wanting to break into the American market; do these Nigerian artistes think that the Jay Zs, P Diddys and Dr Dre's will sit back and watch Nigerian music break into US Hip hop market? Especially in an America where music and sports are the few things black Americans can really hold on to. So they (Black American artistes) will allow some black African musician to come in and steal their domestic market share?

Nigerian music is already big in many African countries like Kenya,Zambia,Ghana and even South Africa. Do we think indigenous artistes and music promoters in these African countries are happy with Nigerians dominating their respective music scenes?

Why will Black Americans not stay proactive and stop Nigerian music from gaining foothold in their market?

Now here's the truth,someone should tell Psquare that its time to go back to the drawing board and re-invent themselves. I don't know the duo's football age but i'm guessing they are in their mid thirties. When dancing musicians start growing older or maturing, they concentrate more on the quality of their music, where more matured dance steps are incorporated. 'Matured dance steps' here simply means slow but sleeker dance moves, just like USHER in GOOD KISSER. And definitely not the 'gra gra' Peter Okoye was showcasing in Ejeajo, epecially to a lousy song.

I think it's time the Okoye twins take a break from music for some time; perhaps they can go concentrate on their respective marriages or try to mentor younger musicians with the ability to sing and dance.

After a few years, Psquare can return with a new style and sound.

For now,Psquare has lost it and i hope their closest fans and admirers tell them this truth before it's too late.

Remember Dbanj?
abeg go siddon it is the rubbish they have been giving to us. you like abi? don't you know that the era of pangolo music is over psquare is proactive . see people like you don't like change you prefer music the old way . you if you don't like the song it is okay must you like all songs ?
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iamord(m): 2:14pm On Sep 05, 2014
chucky234: Two most overrated artists in Nigeria, both are wack.

Lol!! That guy is a joker

I know MI is a good rapper

But

Is he not on life support in the music industry
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 05, 2014
illugun:

I am not saying that people do not like Tuface but currently Psquare beats all of them including Tuface. Psquare still command highest fans both online and offline. Fact!
see this 1.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by chucky234(m): 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2014
iamord:

Lol!! That guy is a joker

I know MI is a good rapper

But

Is he not on life support in the music industry
MI is never a good rapper, dude is overrated.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2014
uihebom: forget dbanj , his career is shitt if don jazzy is not in it . dbanj will soon start begging davido and wizkid for collabo. at least he can even buy songs like davido. dbanj abeg no die like dis . go back to papa.
See this mumu. where was don ja when Dbanj won best artiste in Africa in France? he was busy selling Loya milk, I guess
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by victorv12(m): 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2014
How can funky beat go along with broken English? P-Square really messed up fully! The one with Rozay is still better than this latest crap!

I wonder why some people can be so myopic. We are talking about some artists murdering our sense of hearing with their tasteless "JAM" being played on our airwaves, while some are saying the brothers are heading to the bank.

Some people are completely rotten in the head! When I tried playing that cabbage on my BOSE deck, it sounds terrible.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 05, 2014
uihebom: forget dbanj , his career is shitt if don jazzy is not in it . dbanj will soon start begging davido and wizkid for collabo. at least he can even buy songs like davido. dbanj abeg no die like dis . go back to papa.
See this mumu. where was don ja when Dbanj won best artist in Africa in France? he was busy selling Loya milk,I guess. I don't know what Dbanj did to u,u always talk about him in every topic,especially the topic which is not related about him. Sometin must be wrong with u.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by victorv12(m): 2:22pm On Sep 05, 2014
Nigerians are the only people that I know that, even when something is tasteless, some people will still want to force that shit down someone's oesophagus!

3 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2014
When you see comments from Nigerians saying what the OP is saying doesn't matter because they're making money, you can understand why the quality of music and film in Nigeria isn't going anywhere.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by kudiice(m): 2:24pm On Sep 05, 2014
bigass: Its funny you Judged and condemned Psquare on just one song. To you because of this song Psquare's carrier finished and can never make it again. funnily, i like the song.

please do me a favour whenever you go to a club and they are playing chop my money, alingo, personally, testimony etc please sit down, dont dance just say in your mind its over for Psquare.

In essence your criticism was too absolute. your judged and condemned PSQAURE future relevance solely on one song. Next time criticize the song leave the musician.

Its like criticizing Russel Crow on the flop Film Noah and conclude.... his career is finshed

On Noah movie; It wasn't a flop both at US box office and at rotten tomatto ratings + russels perfomance was as superb as ever. I love that movie.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 05, 2014
victorv12: Nigerians are the only people that I know that, even when something is tasteless, some people will still want to force that shit down someone's oesophagus!

Lol, I just said the same thing
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2014
illugun:

I don't know where and how you arrived at your point, but what study has shown is that Psquare is presently the best out of Africa even in terms of music career. They equally the richest in Nigeria if not Africa. Stop this unnecessary tribal veiled arguments.
what study? Are they richer than Dbanj and Akon?
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Deepfreezer(m): 2:27pm On Sep 05, 2014
RedEboe: Till date I have been unable to watch Psquare's Ejeajo music video from begining to end for no other reason than the fact that i find that video/song utterly disgraceful.

Most devoted/diehard Psquare fans feel the same way too, but many will not say a word; some keep on replaying Ejeajo, hoping the song will eventually grow on them...its not happening.

Psquare has released its first major flop and the inclusion of American rapper T.I will not save them this time around.

The Ejeajo song sounded below average, ordinary, nothing catchy, no rhythm and to sum it all up, totally tasteless. It seems as though the sole purpose of this song was just to feature T.I and break into the American market.

I can bet my very last kobo that any American (Black) who's opportuned to watch Ejeajo video will laugh off his seat saying, "Who are these African booty scratchers trying too hard to sound like us and dance better than Usher?"
I felt the same way watching Peter Okoye putting in so much "gra gra" into his dance moves.

But on a serious note, about Nigerian artistes wanting to break into the American market; do these Nigerian artistes think that the Jay Zs, P Diddys and Dr Dre's will sit back and watch Nigerian music break into US Hip hop market? Especially in an America where music and sports are the few things black Americans can really hold on to. So they (Black American artistes) will allow some black African musician to come in and steal their domestic market share?

Nigerian music is already big in many African countries like Kenya,Zambia,Ghana and even South Africa. Do we think indigenous artistes and music promoters in these African countries are happy with Nigerians dominating their respective music scenes?

Why will Black Americans not stay proactive and stop Nigerian music from gaining foothold in their market?

Now here's the truth,someone should tell Psquare that its time to go back to the drawing board and re-invent themselves. I don't know the duo's football age but i'm guessing they are in their mid thirties. When dancing musicians start growing older or maturing, they concentrate more on the quality of their music, where more matured dance steps are incorporated. 'Matured dance steps' here simply means slow but sleeker dance moves, just like USHER in GOOD KISSER. And definitely not the 'gra gra' Peter Okoye was showcasing in Ejeajo, epecially to a lousy song.

I think it's time the Okoye twins take a break from music for some time; perhaps they can go concentrate on their respective marriages or try to mentor younger musicians with the ability to sing and dance.

For now,Psquare has lost it and i hope their closest fans and admirers tell them this truth before it's too late.

Remember Dbanj?
HATER. jealousy will kill you.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 05, 2014

Remember Dbanj?
first it was dorobucci video, then 2face's album, then King james and now psquare. (In AY's voice) una wan kill pesin career?
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by crackhouse(m): 2:35pm On Sep 05, 2014
that song is tha bomb mehn. i likey, it is a party song. that's the best i have heard from P-square. keep it up guys, U rockk!!! Uhhhhh

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
[size=13pt]Don Jazzy and DBanj duo have been the only truly exportable music (into US), imagine if they were still together. If Nigerians are ginna make a breakin i think the African tune and swaf has to be very present, we cant beat them at their own culture.

In my opiniin Burna boy, black magic, M.I, davido are more likely than psquare. Check out pples opiniin on mc galaxys nek unek track on youtube, pple love it, why?? Because it is african and showcases our ever catchy culture.[/size]
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
I gat tha magiC ejeajo!!

Haters gon hate

If u sabi mek u go collaborate wit TI

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 05, 2014
I don't care for psquare but to say naija music "will never" break into the US market is a stretch in my view. The US market is notoriously difficult to crack( going platinum in the US) even for American or British based musicians let alone our naija based musicians. It will eventually happen when a once in a generation musician comes from this side of the continent(a naija Shabaranks or Shaggy, why not?), but an industry or genrewide(afrohiphop) assault on the US market may be generations away from happening due to obvious barriers. But at the moment, Africans in the diaspora represent a chunk of the US market(my American born Zimbabwean friend knows more naija songs than I do) so u can also admit some headway is being made.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by abbey621(m): 2:40pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya: When you see comments from Nigerians saying what the OP is saying doesn't matter because they're making money, you can understand why the quality of music and film in Nigeria isn't going anywhere.

Tasteless?? Really?? Says who? You and some bitter souls on nairaland angry angry angry I don't know about Nigerian film industry but the music industry has improved so much from the last two decades, appreciate mehn or do u prefer going back to the days of Eedris and the remedies!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 05, 2014
abbey621:

Tasteless?? Really?? Says who? You and some bitter souls on nairaland angry angry angry I don't know about Nigerian film industry but the music industry has improved so much from the last two decades, appreciate mehn or do u prefer going back to the days of Eedris and the remedies!!!

I stopped reading after the first word. You must have meant to reply to someone else, because I never used the word tasteless once.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by abbey621(m): 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

I stopped reading after the first word. You must have meant to reply to someone else, because I never used the word tasteless once.

Agreeing with someone that used the word is basically the same thing, abi u just dey agree 4 agreement sake?.... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by deo24128: 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2014
Please, The song/Video is a necessary change from what was becoming, to me, a monotonous style. It was timely. I believe 2face and a few others, MI and Iceprince will benefit from a change of musical style.

The Video is a simple shoot, considering the type of song that was made, over-elaboration would have killed it, negatively. I like the fact that its groovy and a little oldschool- ditto Wacko Jacko's "Smooth Criminal" and "Bad".

That song is good. It's my type of song. I respect the OP's opinion and these are mine.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by dalhjana: 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2014
the song doesn't mk sense...I downloaded the song hoping to see/hear how T.I would adapt to our Nigerian style of music,but it was a total disappointment when (1.)its was d other way round
(2.) psquare were fooling themselves. (3.) say the song get mumu auto tune and finally d hook sound immature.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Emmybreezy(m): 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2014
I dnt understand y sum pple go just dey hate another person success wey ur life never strieght go get sum life hater
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by chimajii: 2:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
Dreyl: They re busy making massive money with their craps while you are here hating,eating garri everyday,sorry for you.

How does one stating his opinion abt a given subject equate to Hating? Or u just felt like talking? Shrugs, u people can really be too much on here.
@Op I dnt tink them featuring T.I was to break into american market. So all those part of ur write up was purely nonsense.
Other than that, it's time for them to reInvent themselves. But u also have to note that, they may nt want to reason that much, since nigerians are gullible and will swoon to anything that has their name on it, o no one really questions dia musical and artistic growth. Psquares mantra is ' if it aint broke, don't fix it'. I hve not listened or watched the song in question
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Donkunxex(m): 2:54pm On Sep 05, 2014
the only flop in d video was d TI part.... dat TI Scene was nt I'm d video at all... its like dey join the two scenes together... lmao....
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Skywalker5(m): 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
I think the song was cool. Everyone's taste is different sha but the song was not bad at all
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
Op u sound like buhari #hater of fresh air# May amadioha damage your leprosy infected fingers.u think say e easy go write song,u sit down with your floppy disk shaped head criticizing.product of quickie sex@RedEboe

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
illugun:

Who is dbanj? Stop this! You can only talk of Akon. Dbanj is too junior to compare to Psquare in all ramifications.. cool
sorry,i can't argue with u. how is he a junior to p square? or u wanna say p square and their brother are junior to Dbanj except in age.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by shizzleStar: 3:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
joelenesleek: whatever field you find yourself you should deliver the best, they are good and we appreciate them in Africa. Because they make money out of it doesn't make it good, our brothers from the east make good money from fake drugs. I got used to the fact that the recycle their beats and tunes but crossing the Atlantic to be usher / Chris Brown makes no sense they have so many of them there. They should just stick to our oghene and keggite music.
Can you tell me how the bolded relates to the topic. Now you just exhibited a great level of incredible stewpidity and undiluted iddiocy. iddiatt!

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by SeunPhantom(m): 3:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
haterz!! Make una go die. I enjoyed that vid to the extent that I'm already leaning the dance moves

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) / 10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Davido Performs At Eniola Badmus' 20 Years On Stage Party, Bows To Greet Kwam 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.