Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,622 members, 7,816,563 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE - Celebrities (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE (33881 Views)

Seun Kuti Curses Any Nigerian Who Defends Politicians Going On Trial / Mercy Johnson Pregnant Again Barely 10 Months After Delivering Second Baby(Pics) / Oscar Pistorius Refusing Prison Food. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
kliq: Dude is guilty,case is taking too long undecided

R.I.P Reeva sad
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by phransix147(m): 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
nifton:
Sorry d diseased was a white too.

No be only diseased na virus... Its DECEASED!

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by ecjosephine1: 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
Wages of sin is death!
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by freecocoa(f): 12:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
IrishKez:

Well he is not. Is he? undecided

That phrase was used with regard to his antecedent as an individual(Oscar)
I get that, I'm just saying, being human isn't a reason to be considered in matters like this, humans do despicable things.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by MrKnowitall: 12:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hugo7:
can you prove it.

What do you want me to prove?
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
maestroferddi: Just someone remarked, it is not about emotional opinion but balancing judgement against adduced facts and evidence.

The following facts/probabilities worked in Oscar P's favour. They are mitigating/extenuating circumstances:

1. Oscar's action is assumed to have been taken at the spur of the moment. A normal human being is expected to defend themselves against intruders/threats. Defence or thought for the girlfriend only comes second.

2. The number of shots is hardly compelling argument. The difference between firing A SINGLE shot and releasing FOUR from an automatic weapon might depend on the emotional balance of the shooter. If Pistorius was assumed to be greatly alarmed, then it could be successfully argued that the element of fear made him fire multiple shots.

3. Pistorius is disabled. The fact that he wears prosthetics does not diminish the assumption that he should be vulnerable. His propensity to use a gun to defend himself is expected to be higher than that of an able-bodied man. The foregoing prejudices the judge's opinion in his favour.

4. Assuming Pistorius and Reeva had an argument or a fight prior to OP falling asleep, then one shouldn't expect Reeva to be the first thing on Oscar's mind when he got roused out of sleep by a strange sound. Naturally, his own safety should be primary concern. So defending himself should not be so out of order.

I believe these points were what the judge factored in in giving her verdict and quashing the conviction for pre-meditated murder and second-degree murder.

Great analysis!

3 Likes

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by kernel504(m): 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
rezzy:

Was the girl not white?

This case is somehow. Nobody can really judge his mind. But God knows best

Look in law, ignorance does not have a place, meaning he can only go free if... They family of the deceased, wants to settle outside the court.
if not, killing with or without an intention has a prize.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
timbros: Whether he walks free or not, there is one little tiny something that will continue flogging and tormenting him for the rest of his miserable life...

#Conscience

angry sad

True and he might be a victim of a gun too, especially if people see him as someone who does not think and uses a gun too quickly. They will want to shoot him first.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by nifton(m): 12:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
phransix147:

No be only diseased na Ebola... Its DECEASED
Queens man,it does happen somtimes,Tnx all d same.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
webdezzi: this is a case of pre-meditated murder but unfortunately the state could not prove this.

1. if there is a break in, and you have to go back to get a weapon in the bedroom
you are obviously going to invlove your partner. more like "hey babe, someone's breaking in " while loading his firearm

2. one shot should be enough to get whoever was at the other side to give up

3. 4 shot is definitely an intent to kill

4. If you could wake up at the close of a bathroom window, the next thing that comes to mind is your partner must be the actor.
hello! you weren't alone in the house.

My theory is that babe went to the bathroom to answer a lover who called very early on val's day
oscar sneaked to listen up to the convos and whao, this babe has been cheating.
went for the gun and boom!

another is

babe left phone behind, val message came in, dude reads it, got upset and went for his gun.

Below is another plausible reasons:

maestroferddi: Just someone remarked, it is not about emotional opinion but balancing judgement against adduced facts and evidence.

The following facts/probabilities worked in Oscar P's favour. They are mitigating/extenuating circumstances:

1. Oscar's action is assumed to have been taken at the spur of the moment. A normal human being is expected to defend themselves against intruders/threats. Defence or thought for the girlfriend only comes second.

2. The number of shots is hardly compelling argument. The difference between firing A SINGLE shot and releasing FOUR from an automatic weapon might depend on the emotional balance of the shooter. If Pistorius was assumed to be greatly alarmed, then it could be successfully argued that the element of fear made him fire multiple shots.

3. Pistorius is disabled. The fact that he wears prosthetics does not diminish the assumption that he should be vulnerable. His propensity to use a gun to defend himself is expected to be higher than that of an able-bodied man. The foregoing prejudices the judge's opinion in his favour.

4. Assuming Pistorius and Reeva had an argument or a fight prior to OP falling asleep, then one shouldn't expect Reeva to be the first thing on Oscar's mind when he got roused out of sleep by a strange sound. Naturally, his own safety should be primary concern. So defending himself should not be so out of order.

I believe these points were what the judge factored in in giving her verdict and quashing the conviction for pre-meditated murder and second-degree murder.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
timbros: Whether he walks free or not, there is one little tiny something that will continue flogging and tormenting him for the rest of his miserable life...

#Conscience

angry sad

Exactly!
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by kernel504(m): 12:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
Adedayo516: You started following this case today... All true no lie

Hahahaah... Noo!!!
I followed the proceeding many times on Aljazeera, but then l assumed, the said-she was a black.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by kernel504(m): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
Adedayo516: You started following this case today... All true no lie

Hahahaah... Noo!!!
I followed the proceeding many times on Aljazeera, but then l "assumed", the said-she was a black.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by pimpc007(m): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
I was watching and then my subscription expired (cut-off)...
I think its highly unfair that people sit in front of their computers and make negative statements against Oscar P. because the evidences like the judge summarized this morning are too few and not very substantial to establish anything. Its scary to listen to people make negative comments when we truly have little to work with, its scary because these people making these comments may be in a jury one day and make a decision that would alter someone Else's life for the worse.

5 Likes

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
awesome deal!

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by wo1F(m): 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dreambeat: I think it was a premeditated murder.How could you be at home with your girlfriend,sleeping on the same bed for that matter and you heard a noise for which you felt came from a burglar.You did not call out to your girlfriend to know whether the noise you heard was coming from her.You went ahead to shoot.Abeg talk another story.He was not found guilty for murder not because he didnt commit the crime intentionally but just for want of enough evidence for his conviction.The prosecutors probably did not do a good job putting forth the necessary evidence to nail him.

I was gonna have a go at you for your submission, but you redeemed yourself in d last paragraph.

Truth is there's such a phrase as beyond reasonable doubt. The burden of proof of murder is on the prosecution not Oscar. The prosecution on the strenght of what we now know did a shoddy job.

Judge Masipa very brilliantly exposed the poverty in the submissions of the prosecuting counsel.
Oscar may ooze of Reeva's blood, but there's also a slim chance he's telling the truth. For me its too circumtantial to give him the guilty verdict. Culpalble homicide looks an easier route to follow

Its on now, let's see how it wraps up

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by dotcomnamename: 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
[size=15pt]Murder is referring to an intentional killing. Culpable Homicide is referring to negligent or reckless killing.

There is no minimum sentence for culpable homicide in South African law, which allows the judge to look at options including a jail sentence, a suspended jail sentence, correctional supervision and even a financial penalty - or a combination of several of those options.

Meaning he could walk free and or a suspended jail sentence, correctional supervision or a financial penalty.[/size]
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Antell95(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
How far with the case
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
freecocoa: I get that, I'm just saying, being human isn't a reason to be considered in matters like this, humans do despicable things.
I get you!
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by coogar: 12:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
pickabeau1: Why r u barking
We already knew the case was botched not only by the prosecutor, the policewho moved things around and Oscar himself

please don't tie up yourself in tortuous knots of logic....you knew nothing - you were relying on the evidence of her friends & the messages on whatsapp to prove he was abusive towards her & thus - he's guilty as charged!

how did the contamination of the crime scene help pistorius when it was obvious he shot through the door & the victim never screamed - that was contrary to your nollywood script that they had an argument that night & he chased her into the loo when he shot her?

if i scoop out some of your theories on this case, you would be embarrassed. so let's leave it there.

2 Likes

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by pickabeau1: 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
Then scoop

It was clear the case was botched

Murder requires proof beyond reasonable doubt

These guys took his watches... there was no hope

coogar:

please don't tie up yourself in tortuous knots of logic....you knew nothing - you were relying on the evidence of her friends & the messages on whatsapp to prove he was abusive towards her.

how did the contamination of the crime scene helped pistorius when it was obvious he shot through the door & the victim never screamed - that was contrary to your nollywood script that they had an argument that might & he chased her into the loo when he shot her?

if i scoop out some of your theories on this case, you would be embarrassed. so let's leave it there.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by phransix147(m): 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
nifton:
Queens man,it does happen somtimes,Tnx all d same.

Learning is fun but sometimes we are embarrassed in the process of learning... You are welcome bro!

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by coogar: 12:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
pickabeau1: Then scoop
It was clear the case was botched
Murder requires proof beyond reasonable doubt
These guys took his watches... there was no hope

if you knew this, why argue at all? damned if he's found guilty, damned if he's acquitted. so where do you really stand?
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by 04kaa: 12:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
WE shall all die someday ,

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Forwetinnah: 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
Chinom: That guy is as gulity as sin. But i'm afraid he might get away with a manslaughter conviction.

Dude's a good actor..got good advice from his defence team to weep and look extremely sober all through the trial. He deserves an Oscar like his name
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by freecocoa(f): 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
coogar:

please don't tie up yourself in tortuous knots of logic....you knew nothing - you were relying on the evidence of her friends & the messages on whatsapp to prove he was abusive towards her & thus - he's guilty as charged!

how did the contamination of the crime scene help pistorius when it was obvious he shot through the door & the victim never screamed - that was contrary to your nollywood script that they had an argument that might & he chased her into the loo when he shot her?

Bia coogar you are wanted in the family section, another man whom you have been defending has been found to spit on and hit his woman, had it been she died, shey would have said she cause it. angry
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by coogar: 12:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
freecocoa: Bia coogar you are wanted in the family section, another man whom you have been defending has been found to spit on and hit his woman, had it been she died, shey would have said she cause it. angry

she spat on him, not the other way round. he had a right to lash out. she later married him & i seriously doubt she was forced into marriage. grin
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by timbros(m): 12:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
BluIvy:

True and he might be a victim of a gun too, especially if people see him as someone who does not think and uses a gun too quickly. They will want to shoot him first.

Yea
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by Evicsholar(f): 12:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dreambeat: I think it was a premeditated murder.How could you be at home with your girlfriend,sleeping on the same bed for that matter and you heard a noise for which you felt came from a burglar.You did not call out to your girlfriend to know whether the noise you heard was coming from her.You went ahead to shoot.
They were nt sleeping. According to the story, Oscar went to the balcony to bring the fan and he didnt see her pass by his back 'cos she had her phone with her and she could av used its light to guide her way(guess the light wasnt on). I think it was normal for him to have thought she was inside the room when he fired the shots .

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by baines3(m): 12:57pm On Sep 11, 2014
Oscar Pistorios is a free man.. Yipee
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by freecocoa(f): 12:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
coogar:

she spat on him, not the other way round. he had a right to lash out. she later married him & i seriously doubt she was forced into marriage. grin

Go back and watch the video again, how she no go marry am, she's been abused and lost all sense of self worth, there are a zillion women like her out there.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE by freshprincex49(m): 1:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
I know most people are seemingly bent on hearing Judge Thokozile Masipa slam a "GUILTY" verdict on #OscarPistorius. I remind you all about "Presumption of Innocence", certain extenuating circumstances, the mens rea and chiefly, the body language of the accused at the locus criminis, during pre-trial, trial and post trial. I still recall the salient principle held in R. vs OMISADE where it was held that the actus reus and mens rea must intersect for a crime to be complete. In today's trial, Ms. Masipa held inter alia that: "Pistorius genuinely believed there was an intruder. He gave this version to witnesses immediately after the killing.", also "to find anything other than Pistorius believed there was an intruder would be to say the accused's reaction was 'faked' that he was 'play acting' for onlookers at the time."

In moments like this, my heart goes to Reeva Steenkamp's family for their inconsolable loss. Indeed, LAW is technical. Dynamic. Cruel. Fearless. Faceless. And of course asphyxiating too! Waiting with keen interest for the judge's ruling on the lesser charge of Culpable homicide. Intrigues all the way.......

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Meet Rhatti, Biography Of The Artist Phyno Signed To His PentHauz Record Label / Victoria Kimani Dazzles In Cone-bralet And Choker / Salawa Abeni TVC Interview About Her Nude Photo & Blackmailer, Jason (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.