Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,450 members, 7,770,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:19 AM

Any HSE Professionals In The House? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any HSE Professionals In The House? (403060 Views)

Re: Hse Professionals / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Hse Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (113) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 11:25am On Jun 09, 2010
bubbleskid:

Any ideas why this forum has gone quiet in the last couple days? Hmm, Cmon guys! HSE is an area I believe we're all passionate about and we'll all do well to keep any discussions (relevant or irrelevant) going. I appreciate the complexity and magnitude of our diverse busy lives but hey, the reason we're all here is a shared common interest and vision into a prospectively lucrative career, contrary to contemporary believe.

So please let's all endeavor to drop a line on this thread at least once a day. That's the only way to keep this candle lit.

@bubbleskid, Thanks for your encouraging comments. Irrespective of our busy schedules & present job demands, we truly have to take our destinies in our hands as far as furthering the vision of a prospectively lucrative career in HSE is concerned. In that regard, I have just sent you a mail indicating my interest in having a 'soft' copy of the NEBOSH study  information you mentioned in your earlier post. I'll be expecting your feedback. Thanks! smiley
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2010
Superbrain:

@ bubbleskid,you're right. I've been wondering for a while. Why is it difficult to get an entry-level job as an SHE professional? Most vacancies I see nowadays ask for at least 2 to 3 years of relevant experience. What is the hope for newbies like me who have interest in this profession but need to start up from somewhere?

@Superbrain, bubbleskid's advice to you is so SPOT ON! The truth is that the sensitive nature of HSE practice and probably, because of the dire consequences organisations may have to face should they get it wrong in this area, prior HSE 'experience' is highly priced by companies during employee recruitment nevertheless, there is still the possibility of entry level positions. Again, just to reiterate bubblekid's advise, NISP I think, is a good way to get started. Cheers! smiley
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Superbrain(m): 1:43pm On Jun 09, 2010
Thanks for your responses. I will take the NISP route and see how far my networking and research can take me. I really would mind some form of volunteer work just to gain the required exposure and experience. I also hope to try the masters route after the NISP training. Thanks once again.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by bubbleskid: 1:52pm On Jun 09, 2010
Hey Brainwave, I trust you've received the PDF file i forwarded to your gmail. Peruse carefully for considerations because ISTC Malta courses are internationally accredited and shouldnt be overshadowed by NEBOSH, Enjoy

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by gugus1(m): 6:52pm On Jun 09, 2010
Hello house , am not new to the site but i think,, this forum is were  i belong, am a graduate with a B.Eng in mechanical, i have just finished my level 2&3 HSE courses, here in port harcourt. but am also planning on NEBOSH in 2011.
  please can anyone tell me if it's possible to be admitted in any university for a masters degree with a certificate in NEBOSH international general certificate (IGC).
  for those who would  like an entry level job in HSE you can try construction giants like DAEWOO E&C,i worked with them in afam gas to power project in okoloma 2006-2008.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Superbrain(m): 8:43pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ gugus1, Thanks for the information. Though i can't get any useful info online. Could you help with their office address here in Nigeria? Thanks once again.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by bubbleskid: 8:45am On Jun 10, 2010
The NEBOSH IGC is by no means a prerequisite for enrolling for a HSE Masters degree. NEBOSH is a certification; Masters is a qualification. Moreover, youre coming from an Engineering background so you should be just fine. All the best
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 5:45pm On Jun 10, 2010
bubbleskid:

Hey Brainwave, I trust you've received the PDF file i forwarded to your gmail. Peruse carefully for considerations because ISTC Malta courses are internationally accredited and shouldnt be overshadowed by NEBOSH, Enjoy

@bubbleskid, Thanks a lot! I have received the PDF file you forwarded to my e-mail box smiley
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brayan(m): 1:38am On Jun 12, 2010
hi i am intrested in hse especially the safety and environment aspect.am a chemical engineering student in my final year and would be really gratefully if i am actually told the right steps to take to become a full professional in da field especially ways of getting experience.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by demzade: 5:24pm On Jun 15, 2010
Stumbled upon this thread and av been following stealthly for a while. Greatjob guys.

@brainwave

I'm a medical doctor with 3yrs experience and now interested in HSE.

What training would u recommend (heard so much of NEBOSH)

What are the opportunities for doctors in HSE sector

Thx a mil
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 3:36pm On Jun 16, 2010
brayan:

hi i am intrested in hse especially the safety and environment aspect.am a chemical engineering student in my final year and would be really gratefully if i am actually told the right steps to take to become a full professional in da field especially ways of getting experience.

@brayan, As its been previously advocated on this thread, the NISP pathway is a reasonably good way to get started in this field. Getting aquainted with the body (NISP) i.e undergoing their courses et.c, should be beneficial to you because taking this step can help you link up with other HSE practitioners attending the course who can help you secure an HSE related job (I know someone who got his present HSE job this way). And if for any reason, you are not able to land a 'core' HSE experience in the very near future, your HSE training would nevertheless, prove valuable to your practice as an engineer.Cheers!
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 4:00pm On Jun 16, 2010
demzade:

Stumbled upon this thread and av been following stealthly for a while. Greatjob guys.

@brainwave

I'm a medical doctor with 3yrs experience and now interested in HSE.

What training would u recommend (heard so much of NEBOSH)

What are the opportunities for doctors in HSE sector

Thx a mil

@ demzade, NEBOSH is popular in the HSE world but its a sizable investment (financially) for a lot of people so, before buying into it, one might need to ascertain that its the best training investment for one's career at that point in time. But I'd still say here again, that the NISP route might be a safer 'start-up' way for folks fascinated with / interested in HSE. The reason is that this way, they can find out more about HSE without necessarily bitting more than they feel they can chew (financially & otherwise)!

As for HSE opportunities for doctors, I am aware that a good number of HSE practitioners have environmental / technical / 'engineering' backgrounds but this is certainly not a rule. I remember vividly that my class rep during the last course I took at NISP, was a medical doctor. You may want to start looking at how HSE relates to occupational health and then, consider the related prospects.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by mylove4him(f): 11:36pm On Jun 19, 2010
@brainwave nice thanks for keeping this forum alive.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Druss(m): 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2010
I am happy I have seen this thread for one reason. I need advice.

I have a friend - NISP and rounding up NEBOSH. Also studied Physiology in school. However my concern is jobs for the person!! Is there a site which displays HSE jobs in Nigeria? Or even better does anyone know any vacancies!! Feel free to drop a PM!

PS I am serious and am not a forum bot! Tks.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 11:29pm On Jun 20, 2010
mylove4him:

@brainwave nice thanks for keeping this forum alive.

@mylove4him, Hi, long time, hope u'v settled down on your new job now? Thanks for the compliments smiley
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 11:35pm On Jun 20, 2010
Druss:

I am happy I have seen this thread for one reason. I need advice.

I have a friend - NISP and rounding up NEBOSH. Also studied Physiology in school. However my concern is jobs for the person!! Is there a site which displays HSE jobs in Nigeria? Or even better does anyone know any vacancies!! Feel free to drop a PM!

PS I am serious and am not a forum bot! Tks.

@Druss,, google up HSE Officer + Flourmills nigeria. This should give you some info about a current HSE opening. You need to act fast as this particular vaccancy closes in 1 or 2 days time. Cheers!
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Druss(m): 7:55pm On Jun 21, 2010
that is the golden pasta one - right? the friend applied already last week. smiley

tks tho!!
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by bubbleskid: 8:59am On Jun 22, 2010
TRY THIS LINK:

http://www.oilcareers.com/content/jobsearch/job_search.asp?topCat1=9&subCat1=0&Country=NIGERIA&JobType=&orderby=JobAd.DateExtended+DESC&SearchType=&SearchTerms=&advancedSearch=0&submit=Search

Its the Oil Careers website with different categories but this link takes you directly to HSE jobs in nigeria as at today.

Enjoy,

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ezblessyn(f): 10:23am On Jun 22, 2010
@brainwave. pls is there any hope for a french graduaduate with a master's degree in public and int'l relations in HSE.
i want to reinvent my career part as you suggested to this field where do i start from, your advice will be highly appreciated.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by bubbleskid: 2:36pm On Jun 22, 2010
HSE is a very interesting career path as you can realign and diversify in a very short space of time with just a few relevant/HSE specific courses. You,ll be amazed. You might even have an upper hand with a linguistics degree as certifications like NEBOSH which is foreign/expatriate-career bound (most of the time) will enhance your marketability, should you choose to work abroad.

I also notice that quite a few number of us deem HSE in a very generic term: Please be reminded that HSE is a discipline on its own. Like Engineering etc. It is segmented into specialty areas like Occupational Health & Safety, Risk Management, Emergency Response, Fire Fighting/Protection and Environment) .

(EMERGENCY and FIRE are offshore related areas and courses which facilitate this includes OPITO and ISTC).

CHOOSE A PATHWAY AND FOLLOW IT THROUGH. GOD HELP US ALL.

, Enjoy

3 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by iyoyoworl: 6:40pm On Jun 22, 2010
Good day all,
pls i want to do a professional course in hr (CIPM) but i dont know any goo lecture centre around lagos to attend.
Will be glad if any one in d house can help me out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 10:44pm On Jun 22, 2010
ezblessyn:

@brainwave. pls is there any hope for a french graduaduate with a master's degree in public and int'l relations in HSE.
i want to reinvent my career part as you suggested to this field where do i start from, your advice will be highly appreciated.

@ezblessyn, I think you should consider bubbleskid's advice:

bubbleskid:

HSE is a very interesting career path as you can realign and diversify in a very short space of time with just a few relevant/HSE specific courses. You,ll be amazed. You might even have an upper hand with a linguistics degree as certifications like NEBOSH which is foreign/expatriate-career bound (most of the time) will enhance your marketability, should you choose to work abroad.

I also notice that quite a few number of us deem HSE in a very generic term: Please be reminded that HSE is a discipline on its own. Like Engineering etc. It is segmented into specialty areas like Occupational Health & Safety, Risk Management, Emergency Response, Fire Fighting/Protection and Environment) .

(EMERGENCY and FIRE are offshore related areas and courses which facilitate this includes OPITO and ISTC).

CHOOSE A PATHWAY AND FOLLOW IT THROUGH. GOD HELP US ALL.

, Enjoy

In addition, should you opt for the HSE pathway, I'd urge you to be determined in following it through. But of course, I appreciate the likelihood that swithching career path may be a challenging task for many people. You may also want to check out WWW.NISPNIGERIA.COM

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ezblessyn(f): 9:35am On Jun 23, 2010
thanks @bubblekids and @brainwave.
i went to the nisp branch in ph to make enquiry yesterday and was told the there are two training going on there, that one was been organised by shell and the other by by the institude, i was told i would have to start from the scratch. my problem is that the fee for the trianing are far different. the shell organised one was far cheaper then the one by the institude, i wanted to opt for that but was told that thier training is not detailed enough as the one organised by the institude, i dont know whether to believe them cos the difference is really much.
for shell basic hse& hse appreciation(level1 &2) is 23,000
while the nisp general hse(level 1&2 ) is 35,500
@brainwave which do you advice i do?

2 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Superbrain(m): 9:38am On Jun 23, 2010
Hey bro! Has the Shell training started? If not, when are they scheduled to start? Anticipating your response.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 3:12pm On Jun 23, 2010
ezblessyn:

thanks @bubblekids and @brainwave.
i went to the nisp branch in ph to make enquiry yesterday and was told the there are two training going on there, that one was been organised by shell and the other by by the institude, i was told i would have to start from the scratch. my problem is that the fee for the trianing are far different. the shell organised one was far cheaper then the one by the institude, i wanted to opt for that but was told that thier training is not detailed enough as the one organised by the institude, i dont know whether to believe them cos the difference is really much.
for shell basic hse& hse appreciation(level1 &2) is 23,000
while the nisp general hse(level 1&2 ) is 35,500
@brainwave which do you advice i do?

@ezblessyn, I think you can as well go with the Shell option since you're just making your way into the field. In due course, if you feel there's a need to do the General HSE, all good and well. But for starters, you can have a good feel of what HSE is about even with the one being sponsored / subsidized by SPDC (Shell). i.e, Levels 1 & 2.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ezblessyn(f): 12:52pm On Jun 24, 2010
@brainwave, thanks for your advice i will give it a try.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by kkkossy(m): 6:35pm On Jun 24, 2010
@brainwave,I want to go for level 2 in occupation health and safety, though i skipped level 1 cos i'm an engineering graduate. I want to venture into risks and maintenance engineering do u think it's the right course.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 11:40am On Jun 25, 2010
kkkossy:

@brainwave,I want to go for level 2 in occupation health and safety, though i skipped level 1 cos i'm an engineering graduate. I want to venture into risks and maintenance engineering do u think it's the right course.

@kkkossy, I am of the opinion that HSE is very relevant to any practicing engineer therefore, I think you will be better off undergoing such a training (course).
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by eonaiviv: 12:53am On Jun 30, 2010
@ Brainwave, I am a graduate of Biochemistry and I have jst undergone a Shell affiliated training in HSE 1& 2. I liike the safety aspect as well as the risk analysis & hazard effect mgt. So I am wondering, do I have to pick one? Cant I be versatile. Under the Safety aspect I would like the Chemical SHOC, gas & food if possiible bt I dont want 2 b a Jack of all trade and mistress of none. I dunno, embarassed I want 2 do them all xcept d env aspect, undecided undecided
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by brainwave(m): 11:42am On Jun 30, 2010
eonaiviv:

@ Brainwave, I am a graduate of Biochemistry and I have jst undergone a Shell affiliated training in HSE 1& 2. I liike the safety aspect as well as the risk analysis & hazard effect mgt. So I am wondering, do I have to pick one? Cant I be versatile. Under the Safety aspect I would like the Chemical SHOC, gas & food if possiible bt I dont want 2 b a Jack of all trade and mistress of none. I dunno, embarassed I want 2 do them all xcept d env aspect, undecided undecided

@eonaiviv,  if you are just starting out in the field, I don't think you necessarily have to 'specialize' in one area of HSE. The job opportunities available to you at the onset in the field may determine how soon you may need to 'pick one' area as you desire.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by eonaiviv: 12:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
Or can anyone advice me on the area that will be better for a Biochemist? I await ur response y'all.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by eonaiviv: 12:20pm On Jun 30, 2010
@ brainwave, oh! thank u. I guess i'll jst keep adding value 2 myself until I find a practising job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (113) (Reply)

How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.