Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,706 members, 7,955,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:22 PM

STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks (29578 Views)

Saraki Commissions Remodelled Senate Press Centre In Abuja (photos) / Pictures Of All Remodelled Airports Across The Country / Pictures Of The Remodelled Benin Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by anonimi: 9:02am On Sep 22, 2014
lastpage:

Jeez! Stop being a DUNCE!

There is a reason why we have SEPARATION OF POWERS IN THE CONSTITUTION!

.......To prevent overlap of responsibilities and possible friction that follows

(case of Lagos-Ibadan Express Road comes to mind when Lagos State wanted to repair it and Federal Govt said "NO, it is a Federal Road and you have no jurisdiction" ..and rightly so!)

MM Airport is a federal structure. Lagos State CANNOT and SHOULD NOT dabble into it.

Its not politics (you are actually the one playing politics here), its about constitutional responsibility and being alive to your duty!
Educate yourself a little, get some O-Level Government textbook and read instead of displaying ignorance so openly!
Your children might read this in the future! shocked shocked shocked

Lastpage!

That SEPARATION of powers also applies to the provision of TAP water all over Lagos state,

including where the airport is sited so the toilets can be flushed easily and the whole place cleaned and MAINTAINED much better
. Don't you agree

Meanwhile some N20 billion is allocated annually to the Lagos State Water Corporation without any meaningful result to the extent that one state assembly lawmaker had to complain at the LASHA shocked

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by shiffynaani(m): 9:08am On Sep 22, 2014
One wonders how,where stella oduah got the money for her 'death protector'i mean the two bulletproof cars sad now,everything is in the open!! Stella,i'm cursing you with all the tax payer's sweat that you,your greatgrandchildren shall suffer till eternity

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 22, 2014
No Pinshor cry cry cry
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by chucky234(m): 9:18am On Sep 22, 2014
OLADD: [/color][color=#006600]

Many of Boeing 747 Airplanes had to be recalled for urgent repairs/adjustments when defects were noticed. That's an object that has to do with human lives. Were the manufacturers crucified for such anomaly. Have you seen newly imported cars malfunctioning?
Have you ever heard of manufacturer(s) recalling toilet wares or roofing sheets? Cars and planes are not same as building materials, you can get quality materials with almost lifetime guarantee from Turkey, German, US and the UK but Stealer Oduah chose to import substandard materials from Chinda and Malaysia to cut cost.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by chucky234(m): 9:22am On Sep 22, 2014
anonimi:

That SEPARATION of powers also applies to the provision of TAP water all over Lagos state,

including where the airport is sited so the toilets can be flushed easily and the whole place cleaned and MAINTAINED much better
. Don't you agree

Meanwhile some N20 billion is allocated annually to the Lagos State Water Corporation without any meaningful result to the extent that one state assembly lawmaker had to complain at the LASHA shocked
The fact that Lagos State Water Corporation is a failed entity is an open secrete.

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mbulela: 9:23am On Sep 22, 2014
Gboliwe: and his offspring or distant relative is here on nairaland condemning government. Our problems are made and maintained by us- Nigerians.
and the govt is incapable of prosecuting the contractors?
Or are the contractors too aligned to the men and women in power?
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by bayulll01(m): 9:23am On Sep 22, 2014
Johnpaul2k2: LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

so, they cannot renovate the roof and changes the AC?

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?
when God was distributing sense obviously your dad and mum were sinking in deep pooo of cheap sex!!,lag should fixed the ac,dont you know the meaning of Fg property is mma1 now lagos property,ur cluelessssss! mofo is only interested in seeking re election and he keep wailing and shifting all blame to the opposition,u guys are pathetic

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mbulela: 9:26am On Sep 22, 2014
chucky234: The fact that Lagos State Water Corporation is a failed entity is an open secrete.
The same lagos wey i dey use Water works without fail for the past 2 years? Abi na another lagos?
Some of us should lie with some conscience. Tell me another City in Nigeria that has public water works functioning?

3 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by chucky234(m): 9:30am On Sep 22, 2014
mbulela:
The same lagos wey i dey use Water works without fail for the past 2 years? Abi na another lagos?
Some of us should lie with some conscience. Tell me another City in Nigeria that has public water works functioning?
Did I just hear you say lie?
My both parents were born in Lagos, I was born here and have live my entire life in Lagos.
Hope you are not mistaken borehole water in your house for state supplies.

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by ephi123(f): 9:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Chinwem: Useless country

Pls let's tone down on the negativity.
Nigeria has a lot of issues yes, but calling it a useless country is a tad bit too much in my opinion.
The power of life and death is in the tongue.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Reference(m): 9:45am On Sep 22, 2014
We all know governments are a reflection of society. We all know we lack a maintenance culture. We all know we lack accountability. Then why the madness of doing the same thing over and over. Yet we kicked against Bi-Courtney which built and operated the best airport terminal to date while it lasted. I don't know how you expect that government which cannot maintain an airline will maintain an airport.

The aviation unions are strong and often kick against privatisation due to their greed. They are the ones to ensure the coolers work and the toilets flush. They are the ones who supervise these contractors. They are the ones to direct our venom. But they know they have willing allies in a daft public who bark up the wrong tree and won't pay for good services. Once again. GOVERNMENT HAS NO BUSINESS IN BUSINESS. Government should sell these airports and get out yesterday.

The public who feel a pride of place and consider flying a status symbol for business and pleasure should be willing to pay for cool air and clean lavs. The unions cannot give that whether NUPENG, NMA, ASUU or defunct PHCN. We are too corrupt, greedy and lazy to attain and maintain minimal standards for a collective living. We love money. So privatise and make money the incentive for performance and service delivery.

Go to the staff carpark of the same airport and you will see expensive SUV's or visit them when they have lunch and you will be amazed. A stark contrast from their ramshackle offices and horrible attitude. You wonder just where they offload after consuming those decadent lunches. Those smelly lavs...that's Nigeria for you.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by seadoftj(m): 9:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Hmm mm. At the arrival terminal
01/08/2014

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Bryancrox(m): 9:47am On Sep 22, 2014
fyneguy:

Were you there to know the whole amount actually got to him?

FYI, a contractor can be made to claim N1 billion but only N100 million gets to him while government officials share the bulk.
whr yu dere too wen dat contractor was given 100million and d govt sharing d money?
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by ENIGMA11(m): 9:51am On Sep 22, 2014
Dat na Nija 4 u!
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by ginajet(f): 9:56am On Sep 22, 2014
gift01: chai... What will TAN use for their next advert
this got me laughing so hard...... TAN korr TALK nii
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Dee60: 10:01am On Sep 22, 2014
Reverse Turnaround per Excellence. The lesson is that Pancake Cosmetics do not last. Go to some developed countries, they put up structures that can last a century, because they donot want to waste scarce resources. Here, the structures rarely last 3 years, and intentionally so, so that contracts can be awarded again and again to inept and corrupt people.

Think the contractors shoul be asked to pay back!

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Reference(m): 10:13am On Sep 22, 2014
The only way for commercial services to work in Nigeria is for the public to pay perhaps a steep price for using them. The resentment to this leads to accountability. Just like democracy. It works best when countries have no natural resources to plunder and spread laziness, dependence and a feudalistic agenda. When government depends on you to run the country via taxes it knows it has to render account and deliver services but smart governments want to spoon feed the populace to keep them in pampers, always crying but cannot even clean their butt.s while mommy plunders the family silver. So people should just shut up and order for a change in the way Nigeria is structured. Say no more allocation. No more prisoner meals. We want to pay for our dinner ourselves. We want to build our own airports and employ who we know can clean the toilets and run the conveyors not some person in Abuja deciding that for us on the basis of federal character or whatever corrupt, useless criteria.

Until then stop whinning like babies and do the needful.

I don't know of anything any government has built and run anywhere in Nigeria - federal, state or local government that is working or working well. Yet we insist they continue this model. Is this not madness.

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mrofficial(m): 10:23am On Sep 22, 2014
MAINTENANCE, one of the biggest problems we have in Nigeria. The government are just about building and forgetting the biggest task which is maintenance. Embezzling maintenance funds.

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by san316(m): 10:25am On Sep 22, 2014
sam90s:

And that's a fact?
Inuendo more like
ok, you want me to give you a legal document to show that it's the normal practice right? Well, this is the inuendo.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by fiisms: 10:28am On Sep 22, 2014
BAD CONTRACTORS

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 22, 2014
chucky234: Have you ever heard of manufacturer(s) recalling toilet wares or roofing sheets? Cars and planes are not same as building materials, you can get quality materials with almost lifetime guarantee from Turkey, German, US and the UK but Stealer Oduah chose to import substandard materials from Chinda and Malaysia to cut cost.

Thank you my broda. Those chinese in particular o! Those chinese are big time frauds!!
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 10:32am On Sep 22, 2014
The manner thread titles are retwisted to suit ones propaganda ideology leaves a lot to be desired. E-WARRIORS should take it easy. With regards to the story, I'm trying very hard not to believe those shameful photos. If they are for real, then someone should be held responsible for the national shame.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Forwetinnah: 10:33am On Sep 22, 2014
eleojo23: One thing we have to learn in this country is the culture of maintenance. One doesn't just build and think that the job is over. Maintenance is key.

Also, people should learn to handle public property with care. I'm sure that one of the things that make the toilets an unpleasant sight apart from the leaking roof, may be failure of people to flush them after use. That's a habit that one notices when people use such facilities. It's not good behaviour.

Bless you boku boku...some Nigerians handle things just anyhow and expect it to last. Even though you fix the most sophisticated/expensive AC, It still breaks down in days if mishandled...same thing with the roof issue, the contractors who are Nigerians themselves are just shameless. Let's drop all this government this that gist, they've done their part by providing funds for the upgrade..we are the ones destroying our own efforts
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 22, 2014
KIRIJI: Comon sense is not comon
Is it the prerogative of Punch news paper and the Lagos state government to renovate a federal airport.

Below is the present condition of the Enugu airport that was built during the ministerial administration of STEALER oduah. I guess you would also ask the Enugu state government to renovate it
You have said it all, common sense is very uncommon, the guy must have been a tribalist bigot
Thread closed
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 22, 2014
Bros werin concern LASG 4 dis mata...nawa ohquote author=Johnpaul2k2]LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?[/quote]
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 22, 2014
JayJohnson:
You have said it all, common sense is very uncommon, the guy must have been a tribalist bigot. I am sure he is probably not aware that FG is owing LASG, RVSG etc several billions of naira
Thread closed
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by osss: 10:39am On Sep 22, 2014
What do you expect. Stella was working but block the way of many that want to enrich their pockets. Those people ganged up against her and help stir up media which resulted in her being sacked. now their own person has been put there and their palms are being greased now. So how do you want the work to continue and how can the already built facility be maintained while the money is going to the pockets of few?
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Konquest: 10:40am On Sep 22, 2014
simpleseyi: With an outlandish expenditure of N174bn, the government had aimed to bring the nation’s airports at par with their counterparts in the developed world, but passengers who use the busiest of the facilities in Lagos are not impressed with the work done so far, UDEME EKWERE writes

Passengers who regularly use the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos are not impressed with the state of facilities at the nation’s gateway despite the multi-billion naira remodelling carried out on the airport and others across the country.

The passengers are particularly not happy because of the high level of discomfort they are experiencing at the edifice.

It was gathered that some of the new facilities were no longer functioning properly, while others had falling into a state of disrepair.

For instance, passengers complained that the air-conditioning system at the arrival hall of the MMIA now worked abnormally, and that visitors coming into the country were being confronted with embarrassing heat at the lounge and up to the immigration point.

They also alleged that some parts of the roof were leaking, especially whenever it rained.

The recently fixed toilets, the passengers lamented, had become faulty as those, who wanted to make use of the conveniences, were being confronted with unpleasant sights.

Some of the passengers, who spoke in separate interviews with our correspondent, decried the failing facilities at the airport, adding that it was too soon for it to be in a bad shape after the much touted remodelling.

They said that having spent huge sums of tax payers’ funds to restructure the airport, it should not be uncomfortable for users.

A passenger, who just returned from Dubai, Mr. Isaac Femina, said he was disappointed that some of the facilities at the airport were returning to their old state.

He said, “I really don’t know why things do not work well in this country. It has not been long since we were talking about the huge amount of money spent on remodelling the airport; and now, you’ll notice that some facilities are not in proper working order.

“For example, the walkway belt, the one that propels you to move faster at the arrival lounge is not working anymore; if you get on it now, it is as if you are just walking on the bare floor. This should not be; it is too soon.”

Mr. Kunle Stephen, a businessman who shuttles between Lagos and the United Kingdom, said apart from the fact that there were some spots where the roof was leaking, the air-conditioning units around the luggage area were not working well.

Stephen said, “It is quite unfortunate, because you just see on paper that so much has been spent on repairs yet it doesn’t seem like anything is working. Imagine the ACs that should be the first thing that should work well are not. The other day, it was raining here in Nigeria when we got in and some parts of the roof were leaking! To say the least, I was embarrassed.

“To make matters worse, I came to Lagos with my spouse sometime last month and she had to use the toilet on arrival. But she ran out a few seconds later, saying she would manage till we get to town, because the whole place was leaking and there was water on the floor; it is really sad.”

Another passenger, Mrs. Toluwalase Jacob, said that even though she was a little impressed by some of the noticeable changes at the airport, she hoped the issue of the air-conditioning system would be sorted out soon.

She said, “Well, I think there have been some improvements with the work that has gone on here, because when I came in to Nigeria from London late last year, the situation was really terrible.

“It seems a little better now, but I hope they will look into the issue of the air-conditioning system so that the air will not feel so polluted all the time.”

A top official of the Aviation ministry, who did not want his name mentioned because he was not authorised to speak on the issue, said that it was not unusual for some of the infrastructure to wear out after a while, because of continuous usage.

He said, “Of course, you can’t expect the facilities to remain just the way they were because people are making use of them every day, and you know that some people are not very careful in their handling of public property.

“Also, it is important for you to know that the work is not done yet at the airport; it is still ongoing; there are still a few things that need to be put in place, and when it is done, I am sure that the passengers and airport users will be more comfortable than they are at present.”

Commenting on the development, the spokesperson, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, Mr. Yakubu Dati, said some construction work was still ongoing at the airport, which could have accounted for some of the difficulties that passengers were experiencing at the moment.

He said that on completion, users of the airport would not face as much inconvenience as they were currently encountering.

Dati said, “We are constructing the upper walkway at the arrival hall and the leakage is due to the construction work at the upper deck. When completed, the upper and lower decks will serve the arriving and departing passengers, respectively.

“That way, arriving and departing passengers will not meet as is presently the case. We apologise for the inconveniences this is causing.”

Over N174bn has been spent by the Federal Government on airport remodelling across the country in the last three years.

Following the removal of the former Minister of Aviation, Ms. Stella Oduah, there had been fears that the projects, which she initiated, would be abandoned due to inadequate funding.

However, the then Supervising Minister of Aviation, Dr. Samuel Ortom, had assured Nigerians that the ministry was making adequate efforts to ensure that the projects were completed within the stipulated period.

He had said, “I want to assure Nigerians that the projects will be completed. The projects are part of the aviation master plan dully approved by the Federal Executive Council. Every single project that was started in the phase one, two and three of the remodelling plan will be completed. It is a matter of stepping up our revenue generation.

“We have massive opportunities and if we are able to close the gap, we will generate enough revenue, and with additional funding from the Federal Government, we will execute the projects. I want to allay the fears of Nigerians that the projects won’t be abandoned. The debts and commitment are there but you can see the massive work going on in the aviation industry today.

“That justifies the N174bn debt. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day and there is no way we think we can generate this money within a week. But we intend not to embark on new projects so we can concentrate our energies and ensure we complete the projects started by my predecessor.”

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/news/remodelled-lagos-airports-air-conditioners-fail-roof-leaks/

[b]@ simpleseyi

This is a REAL Stella Wonder.

Next time, it is real aviation professionals [Osita Chidoka is NOT even an Aviation professional]
that should be used as Aviation Ministers - NOT political appointees!
[/i]

This will help to minimize mediocre jobs and infrastructure in the aviation industry... angry angry

As revealed by The News Magazine of October 29, 2012, Stella is known to have employed via a recruitment
agency fresh people - more than 60% of them whose names were listed in the magazine article were
from her ethnic group in sensitive positions. The contractors that were used the so-called construction
works at the airports were NOT revealed or known to those in the aviation industry.

A senior member of the Airport labour union from Stella's ethnicity[Igbo] even confirmed
the irregularities listed in The News Magazine articles of October 29, 2012. GEJ will never have her
probed until he is removed from office by another political party.

Why won't there be inflation of contracts? - ehn - tell me... angry

[i]See the Enugu airport picture of September 2014 below again
grin

[/b]

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by gabriel212: 10:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Johnpaul2k2: LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?

I wonder y people like you fail to understand simple thing in the society.
is it the Lagos State Govt. duty to repair Fed. Govt. properties.
dont comments again on anything political until you dont know division of power in govt. please.
I mean no insult.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mbulela: 10:47am On Sep 22, 2014
chucky234: Did I just hear you say lie?
My both parents were born in Lagos, I was born here and have live my entire life in Lagos.
Hope you are not mistaken borehole water in your house for state supplies.
Who mistakes borehole water for public water supply?
Their is public water supply in Lagos.
It is not everywhere but it is in a lot of places.
I have lived in two places in Lagos and one had both while the other had exclusively public water supply and the only day it failed it was back in less than 10 hrs.
So what exactly is your point?
I asked you to mention one other city in this country that has public water supply? I am still waiting.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Gboliwe: 10:50am On Sep 22, 2014
mbulela:
and the govt is incapable of prosecuting the contractors?
Or are the contractors too aligned to the men and women in power?

Do you know what the phrase "vicious circle" means?
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Gboliwe: 10:53am On Sep 22, 2014
mbulela:
Who mistakes borehole water for public water supply?
Their is public water supply in Lagos.
It is not everywhere but it is in a lot of places.
I have lived in two places in Lagos and one had both while the other had exclusively public water supply and the only day it failed it was back in less than 10 hrs.
So what exactly is your point?
I asked you to mention one other city in this country that has public water supply? I am still waiting.
Sincerely, I don't know what the arguement is about and I am not interested in reading through the other parts but on this particular post, Enugu has water suppy, Kaduna has water suppy, Jos has water supply. These are public water board.
Lagos state cannot be grouped among states with good water supply

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jegede’s Supporters Await Results In Akure / Army To Launch Operation Fireball Against Boko Haram, To Switch Over To War Mode / Police Neutralize Scores Of ESN Members In Bloody Clash In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.