Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View (8920 Views)

My Daughter Was Nearly Molested Yesterday By A Male Teacher! / Toddler Walked-Out Of Nursery To Her Home After Door Was Left Open / Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by beeevan: 7:13pm On Sep 26, 2014
coogar:

i hope you know the one i am talking about. grin - the one with her son. wink

Sure, which other could coogar have known cheesy.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I have offered a solution to cease parental worries but I have no solution to getting MORE men to do this job. wink smiley

Male presence among kids should be cherished. Kids need it.

We can't treat every man like a pedophile.

It's a cycle. It fixes itself gradually. Most importantly, since 2001 we have men entering the nursing fields in record numbers and
challenging the notion that men are inappropriate in caregiver roles or incapable of providing compassionate and sensitive care.

You have to realize that there is a stigma, most men that even go into care-giving fields are seen as gay.

If women continue to take their kids away from a nursery school that employs male care-givers, why would these schools bother hiring them?

If your male child, who is in nursery school, does not see any male care-giver and all care-givers accessible to him, are females. The child is going to grow up to think that care-giving is solely a woman's job. It's subconscious, he won't even realize it.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by coogar: 7:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
beeevan:
Sure, which other could coogar have known cheesy.

you are too intelligent for my liking. angry angry
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Stillfire: 7:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY: At that (nursery) level, I'd rather not see even one male teacher there.

Buhahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 26, 2014
BananaBender:

It's a cycle. It fixes itself gradually. Most importantly, since 2001 we have men entering the nursing fields in record numbers and
challenging the notion that men are inappropriate in caregiver roles or incapable of providing compassionate and sensitive care.

You have to realize that there is a stigma, most men that even go into care-giving fields are seen as gay.

If women continue to take their kids away from a nursery school that employs male care-givers, why would these schools bother hiring them?

If your male child, who is in nursery school, does not see any male care-giver and all care-givers accessible to him, are females. The child is going to grow up to think that care-giving is solely a woman's job. It's subconscious, he won't even realize it.

A profound analysis. I appreciate it though it's a pity things are like this because female teachers cannot give kids everything male teachers could and vice versa.

When I see men playing with kids, I often observe that they do things together women rarely would.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 26, 2014
The only male that will take Care of my kids ( daughters) is their father. Any other male stops at playing with them (the play will even be monitored).

Changing diapers, bathing etc strictly restricted. Thank you very much

4 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by cococandy(f): 7:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
I think people are mixing up teaching with baby care.
I had a male math teacher in my nursery2 class. Uncle kunle.
I remember him for his strictness and insisting we learn times table far above our class level.
There are many male nursery school teachers.

But not kindergarten or creche level because let's face it,guys don't do it well and most are not willing to anyway.

boys don't/rarely report molest by older females,so the hype is out there about male molesters because girls report more.

I wonder why that is.
Is it because parents concentrate more on giving their girls sex education and safe-guarding their sexuality while ignoring that of the boys because they are expected to grow into MEN,
And by our societal standards,men don't have anything to be careful about when it comes to sex undecided(except wear a condom)

Maybe it's time everyone realized differently

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
cococandy: I think people are mixing up teaching with baby care.
I had a male math teacher in my nursery2 class. Uncle kunle.
I remember him for his strictness and insisting we learn times table far above our class level.
There are many nursery school teachers.

But not kindergarten or creche level because let's face it,guys don't do it well.
And because boys don't report molest by older females,the hype is out there about male molesters because girls report more.

I wonder why that is.
Is it because parents concentrate more on giving their girls sex education and safe-guarding their sexuality while ignoring that of the boys because they are expected to grow into MEN,

What makes you think so?
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by cococandy(f): 7:59pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

What makes you think so?
I can't argue your experience.

Just using my experience to speak.
They run away from poo and stuff like that.

I mean I wish it was otherwise. Who knows maybe one day it'll be.
Around here anyway.

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 26, 2014
cococandy:
I can't argue your experience.

Just using my experience to speak.
They run away from poo and stuff like that.

I mean I wish it was otherwise. Who knows maybe one day it'll be.
Around here anyway.

I don't dispute your experience either. I hope you know.

Even IF majority of men isn't good at it, the minority who is qualified and willing to do so should not be discriminated against.
I welcome these men as a chance.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by cococandy(f): 8:08pm On Sep 26, 2014
Ok
carefreewannabe:

I don't dispute your experience either. I hope you know.

Even IF majority of men isn't good at it, the minority who is qualified and willing to do so should not be discriminated against.
I welcome these men as a chance.

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 8:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
Stillfire:

Buhahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

What's so funny? undecided

Anyway, I refuse to use my kids for some sort of "social experiment" as a leverage for political correctness.

As the male "workers" move in, I move my kids out ASAP. angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 8:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce: The only male that will take Care of my kids ( daughters) is their father. Any other male stops at playing with them (the play will even be monitored).

Changing diapers, bathing etc strictly restricted. Thank you very much

amen...Amen...and AMEN to that!

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 26, 2014
The only male that is allowed to care for my daughter(s) is their father.....and maybe grand father in certain situations

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY:

amen...Amen...and AMEN to that!

Imagine coming back to pick my princess from creche and I see this fierce looking male cleaning her up. Someone will die na. Is it not here that one nairalander said that he gets turned on staring at a nakid kid. What's that username again. If she was bigger, can speak, clean herself up. Then I have no problems with male teachers. But that tender age, that she can't even say what happened to her. No way.

3 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
jennykadry: The only male that is allowed to care for my daughter(s) is their father.....and maybe grand father in certain situations

*shakes head*

Do u subscribe to family guy?
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 8:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:

Imagine coming back to pick my princess from creche and I see this fierce looking male cleaning her up. Someone will die na. Is it not here that one nairalander said that he gets turned on staring at a nakid kid. What's that username again. If she was bigger, can speak, clean herself up. Then I have no problems with male teachers. But that tender age, that she can't even say what happened to her. No way.

grin grin grin

It's interesting reading the comments from most of the hardlined advocates vying for more men working with pre-schoolers (3 month olds - 2 years), who incidentally, aren't yet parents themselves.

All easier said than done sha. Afterall, at the end of the day, it's just words, innit?

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
Before the weekend is over, you'll see these same women castigating Nigerian men that think their wives are solely responsible for caring for the kids.

KAI! Can someone tell me why women are in the army again?
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY:

grin grin grin

It's interesting reading the comments from most of the hardlined advocates vying for more men working with pre-schoolers (3 month olds - 2 years), who incidentally, aren't yet parents themselves.

All easier said than done sha. Afterall, at the end of the day, it's just words, innit?

I haven't even seen any creche with male staff for 0 to 3 yrs old. most I have seen are from 4 yrs. They teach and by then the kids can talk, eat and clean up after them. People fighting for equality, this is not the time for equality. Very soon them go tell man to carry belly all for equality. grin

Equality won't start from my little princess that cant express herself yet abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2014
jennykadry: The only male that is allowed to care for my daughter(s) is their father.....and maybe grand father in certain situations

How come Jenny?

This is the 21st century. Do you not think you're being a tad bit "closed minded" and stigmatizing the menfolk? Whatever happened to equal opportunities?

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:

I haven't even seen any creche with male staff for 0 to 3 yrs old. most I have seen are from 4 yrs. They teach and by then the kids can talk, eat and clean up after them. People fighting for equality, this is not the time for equality. Very soon them go tell man to carry belly all for equality. grin

Equality won't start from my little princess that can yet express herself abeg.

This thread is about nursery schools, not about creches.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 9:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

A lot of creches qualify as nursery schools over here, carefree.

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Nursery can refer to: Childcare. Nursery (room), a room within the house designed for the care of a young child or ....

School undecided

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:

Nursery can refer to: Childcare. Nursery (room), a room within the house designed for the care of a young child or ....

School undecided

Good that we talk about it because I had the impression that people were explicitly talking about creches when they were referring to childcare for kids under 3 and to nursery schools for kids aged 3+.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY:

A lot of creches qualify as nursery schools over here, carefree.

For the sake of clarity and avoidance of misunderstandings, can we agree on unambiguous terms? smiley
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Good that we talk about it because I had the impression that people were explicitly talking about creches when they were referring to childcare for kids under 3 and to nursery schools for kids aged 3+.
oh ok,
I put them in same category but differentiate by age.
I guess that's why in some countries, the starting school age for kids are between 3 - 6 yrs(officially). Like that they can express themselves , clean up , eat etc. Then you have your equal opportunity.

But below that,
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:
oh ok,
I put them in same category but differentiate by age.
I guess that's why in some countries, the starting school age for kids are between 3 - 6 yrs. Like that they can express themselves , clean up , eat etc. Then you have your equal opportunity.

But below that,

Below that age, I will not even think of parting with my child. wink
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by edwife(f): 9:14pm On Sep 26, 2014

My sentiment exactly.

Finito!

3 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY:

How come Jenny?

This is the 21st century. Do you not think you're being a tad bit "closed minded" and stigmatizing the menfolk? Whatever happened to equal opportunities?

That one is their ''consign''.

No man except grand father and hubby will see my daughter's tete-terere. She is my responsibility and I will determine who cares for her and who doesn't. When she becomes an adult she can choose whoever she likes to wipe her bum for her but until then....I WILL MAKE THAT DECISION FOR HER.

My dad is very good with children. He visited us one time SO we left him at home and when we got back...I knew the diaper had been changed cos it was dry TOO DRY to be true grin. So I asked him and he said yep, he couldn't leave her soiled and dirty until we got back from ''wherever'' we went to grin. He even helped with baths.

PS off topic...reminds me of my eldest sister's first daughter who used to be super close to my father. Whenever my dad visited, no one and I mean no one is allowed to clean her bum except grand daddy...and she would scream ...'Grand daddy, I am ready'' .One time her mum went in to clean her and she screamed ''No not you. Don't touch me. Get me grand daddy'' grin

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Below that age, I will not even think of parting with my child. wink

Not when you have bills to pay.

At bolded, Are you sure you are not one of those that will breastfeed until 3yrsgrin

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by cococandy(f): 9:17pm On Sep 26, 2014
That's why I'm sort of on the fence with this issue.
For logic and political correctness,I would probably wholly be on the same page with banana bender but what happens if I have a baby tomorrow and discover I'm not comfortable leaving her intimate care with a strange guy?
I'd feel like a hypocrite then.

Not that females don't abuse male kids but why is it that the incidences in which a guy was the abuser are higher?

Food for thought.

All this baby talk makes me a lil uncomfortable sha. I won't lie embarassed

EfemenaXY:

grin grin grin

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:

Not when you have bills to pay.

Needless to say.

At bolded, Are you sure you are not one of those that will breastfeed until 3yrsgrin

I am not the over-protective type. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? / Medical Examination By Your Brother-In-Law: Right Or Wrong? / Why Do Children Love Me Too Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.