Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,816 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View (8906 Views)

My Daughter Was Nearly Molested Yesterday By A Male Teacher! / Toddler Walked-Out Of Nursery To Her Home After Door Was Left Open / Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 9:21pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Good that we talk about it because I had the impression that people were explicitly talking about creches when they were referring to childcare for kids under 3 and to nursery schools for kids aged 3+.

They are one and the same thing over here in the UK, babes.

cococandy: That's why I'm sort of on the fence with this issue.
For logic and political correctness,I would probably wholly be on the same page with banana bender but what happens if I have a baby tomorrow and discover I'm not comfortable leaving her intimate care with a strange guy?
I'd feel like a hypocrite then.
Not that females don't abuse male kids but why is it that the incidences in which a guy was the abuser are higher?
Food for thought.
All this baby talk makes me a lil uncomfortable sha. I won't lie embarassed

It's called motherly instinct, and you hardly ever go wrong there.

If something doesn't feel right to you, where your child is concerned, then it most probably isn't. I place the safety of my kids above anything else, equality or not, and if that make me a hypocrite, then so be it.

My child, my rules. Not "society" dictating what's best for my little angel.

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by BABE3: 9:23pm On Sep 26, 2014
cococandy: That's why I'm sort of on the fence with this issue.
For logic and political correctness,I would probably wholly be on the same page with banana bender but what happens if I have a baby tomorrow and discover I'm not comfortable leaving her intimate care with a strange guy?
I'd feel like a hypocrite then.

Not that females don't abuse male kids but why is it that the incidences in which a guy was the abuser are higher?

Food for thought.

All this baby talk makes me a lil uncomfortable sha. I won't lie embarassed

The incidences aren't higher. They just don't get reported as much. You said so yourself.

Even if they're reported; its not taken as a big deal since we're made to believe females can't harm children.

Would you feel comfortable with a woman taking care of your little son?
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 9:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
jennykadry:

That one is their ''consign''.

No man except grand father and hubby will see my daughter's tete-terere. She is my responsibility and I will determine who cares for her and who doesn't. When she becomes an adult she can choose whoever she likes to wipe her bum for her but until then....I WILL MAKE THAT DECISION FOR HER.

My dad is very good with children. He visited us one time SO we left him at home and when we got back...I knew the diaper had been changed cos it was dry TOO DRY to be true grin. So I asked him and he said yep, he couldn't leave her soiled and dirty until we got back from ''wherever'' we went to grin. He even helped with baths.

PS off topic...reminds me of my eldest sister's first daughter who used to be super close to my father. Whenever my dad visited, no one and I mean no one is allowed to clean her bum except grand daddy...and she would scream ...'Grand daddy, I am ready'' .One time her mum went in to clean her and she screamed ''No not you. Don't touch me. Get me grand daddy'' grin

Lol @ the bolded!

That's exactly what's happened at my end but the other way round with my sister. After trying so hard to potty train her son, she more or less gave up, till my mum went visiting for a few weeks. Guess what? Within three days, he was fully potty trained and made sure whenever he'd done his business at the toilet, only grandmum was allowed to come see his "poo-poo" before flushing! cheesy cheesy

That aside, +1000 likes for your post!

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Needless to say.

I am not the over-protective type. wink

You won't know until you are there. You see yourself waking up every hr to feed him/her, even when it's not required . Then alas, she goes to nursery, you won't even concentrate.
That's for the first,

Let me stop here before you go go carry belly
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by damiso(f): 9:34pm On Sep 26, 2014
But abuse comes in different shades naa o..intimate abuse is not the only sort of abuse that could be inflicted on children that can't talk.Childminders giving babies sleeping medication so they don't cry,childminders slapping and shaking a 9 month old baby and the baby died (all female) embarassedHorror stories I heard about childminders, nannies etc almost put me off going back to work after I had my daughter.But that's where doing adequate research and trying to use recognised caregivers comes into play.If we want to automatically assume most men might abuse a female child what of the male child?
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 9:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
damiso: But abuse comes in different shades naa o..intimate abuse is not the only sort of abuse that could be inflicted on children that can't talk.Childminders giving babies sleeping medication so they don't cry,childminders slapping and shaking a 9 month old baby and the baby died (all female) embarassedHorror stories I heard about childminders, nannies etc almost put me off going back to work after I had my daughter.But that's where doing adequate research and trying to use recognised caregivers comes into play.If we want to automatically assume most men might abuse a female child what of the male child?

We're talking about male workers in nurseries for the very, very, young ones: 3 months - 2/3 years. As per a male childminder??!! Don't even go there, abeg.

Speaking of which, will you Damiso, in the spirit of openness and equality send your 6 month old daughter to a full time nursery run entirely by male staff? You know the hours I'm referring to: 8am - 6pm, Mon - Fri.

Your candid views please.

5 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 26, 2014
vikel2104: I used to think there were no male nursery teachers because I haven't seen one but it appears there are male teachers who handle kids in nursery classes . I love 'em kids but I can't handle them in that capacity.

To the guys, would you take up a job as a nursery class teacher? I don't mean daycare!

And parents, what's your view on having a male nursery class teacher?

Share your opinion.

I guess I was right.

Op, pls when next you edit a topic, pls do well to inform those already debating on the issue. it's called courtesy
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 9:47pm On Sep 26, 2014
vikel2104: [s]I used to think there were no male nursery teachers because I haven't seen one but it appears there are male teachers who handle kids in nursery classes . I love 'em kids but I can't handle them in that capacity.

To the guys, would you take up a job as a nursery class teacher? I don't mean daycare!

And parents, what's your view on having a male nursery class teacher?

Share your opinion.[/s]

What is this??

Why are you changing the goal post at this late hour?? Anyway, as far as this debate goes, all of my responses past and present are based on your original write up - Nurseries (3months - 3 years)! angry angry

For the records:

vikel2104: vikel2104: It is very rare to see a male teaching preschool or nursery kids. I have not seen one. I personally don't have the 'grace' to handle kids in that capacity.

To the guys, would you take up a job as a nursery school teacher?

And parents, what's your view on having a male nursery school teacher?

Share your opinion.

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
SO these women are convinced that it is their "motherly instinct" that makes them view all male care-givers as incompetent or child molestors.

ho oh oo hho wo ho, I laugh in Santa Claus grin grin

It's shameful really, when you try to defend prejudice, discrimination, stereotyping and stup1dity.

I probably won't be pissed if they admit that they have a problem and that their mentality needs to be fixed because it is noxious to the society......... But mba, they are here high-fiving themselves and giving kudos for being a part of the problem.

*Where is my tea?*

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by damiso(f): 9:50pm On Sep 26, 2014
I think the OP meant Teachers that teach preschool and my teachers daughter I spoke about was nursery in a school. Nursery workers (creches) are mostly not teachers and often have childcare qualifications not teaching qualifications. As I said my daughter had a make nursery teacher at 3 and a half In the our local Catholic primary school nursery.

And to your question no I would find it difficult if they were ALL male BUT I would not mind if they had male nursery staff as well as female.Men are rarely nursery nurses or childcare workers because apart from the negative stereotype the pay is not that great to be honest.
EfemenaXY:
We're talking about male workers in nurseries for the very, very, young ones: 3 months - 2/3 years. As per a male childminder??!! Don't even go there, abeg.
Speaking of which, will you Damiso, in the spirit of openness and equality send your 6 month old daughter to a full time nursery run entirely by male staff? You know the hours I'm referring to: 8am - 6pm, Mon - Fri.
Your candid views please.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by cococandy(f): 9:51pm On Sep 26, 2014
BABE3:
The incidences aren't higher. They just don't get reported as much. You said so yourself.

Even if they're reported; its not taken as a big deal since we're made to believe females can't harm children.

Would you feel comfortable with a woman taking care of your little son?

Don't underestimate societal hype.
I won't lie that I'm not a victim of such mind positioning.
So yes before now I'd probably be more comfortable with a female taking care of my son than a male taking care of my daughter.

But with increasing awareness of male kids molest cases,I may have to start fearing for the safety of my male child too.
We learn everyday.

For most people it may not even be because they don't think females can harm male kids,it may be more because everyone is more concerned about sheltering the female child(sexually)
If female molest cases get reported more,then invariably everyone feels males commit the molest offense more. I can't put stock in news I never or rarely ever heard.so can you blame them or do you blame those who choose not to report?

Why is it that males' molest cases don't get reported much?

Is it that the boys don't mind being molested?

Or that the parents have failed to teach them that anyone touching them inappropriately is wrong?
But same parents will rather concentrate on 'cocooning' the girls as they are the ones who are 'meant to be pure and sexually reserved'?

I think we are reaping a direct effect of such double standards.

You're of the school of thought that women have more to lose by engaging in sexual acts than males.
So I'd wager you carry your daughters like eggs and drum the sealed legs message into their ears while not giving the boys the same conditions.

Hence even small boys may not see it as a big deal if an older female touches them wrongly.
Hence they don't report more often.

With only the cases of female molest making the air waves,do you blame those who are more afraid for their daughters than their sons?

2 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY:

What is this??

Why are you changing the goal post at this late hour?? Anyway, as far as this debate goes, all of my responses past and present are based on your original write up - Nurseries (3months - 3 years)! angry angry

Don't mind the OP,.

He will soon delete the whole topic sef.

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 9:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:

You won't know until you are there. You see yourself waking up every hr to feed him/her, even when it's not required . Then alas, she goes to nursery, you won't even concentrate.
That's for the first,

Let me stop here before you go go carry belly

grin

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by 1miccza: 9:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY:

, I'm not bothered about them having male teachers at higher levels (preferably secondary and above) . But at nursery level?

No.

What I would do? Seriously reconsider if that is the best place / school for my daughter to be at that point in time. This is where the onus is on prospective parents to carry out thorough background checks comes into play before handing over your precious little one to strangers. Would you believe me if I told you that I not only checked the OFSTED report going back for the past five years, for over twenty nursery schools, for my daughter? I also went there in person with her and her brothers & dad to get a proper "feel" of the place, staff, etc.

Think about it. Most nursery schools take kids from 3 months old. Would you in all honesty feel comfortable for a strange man to wipe/clean your baby's / daughter's bum? And change her soiled nappy?

Seriously.

Too much grammar *yimu*
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by EfemenaXY: 9:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
damiso: I think the OP meant Teachers that teach preschool and my teachers daughter I spoke about was nursery in a school nursery workers (creches) are mostly not teachers and often have childcare qualifications not teaching qualifications. As I said my daughter had a make nursery teacher at 3 and a half In the our local Catholic primary school nursery.

And to your question no I would find it difficult if they were ALL male BUT I would not mind if they had male nursery staff as well as female.Men are rarely nursery nurses or childcare workers because apart from the negative stereotype the pay is not that great to be honest.

Yes, yes, I know all about the sterotyping and pitiful pay.

But we're talking 21st century progress. Just as you have all female staff nurseries, why would you find it difficult to send your little one to an all male nursery?

Afterall, it's just a job like any other out there, or isn't it?

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 10:00pm On Sep 26, 2014
Well thank goodness quoted him/her.

This is how people edit post to turn the story around.

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by cococandy(f): 10:00pm On Sep 26, 2014
OP wetin dey worry you? sad angry

Yes I had a male teacher when I was in nursery school. Many schools do. Kini big deal?
From daycare you've entered teaching.
So should we all delete our posts?
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by BABE3: 10:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
cococandy:

Don't underestimate societal hype.
I won't lie that I'm not a victim of such mind positioning.
So yes before now I'd probably be more comfortable with a female taking care of my son than a male taking care of my daughter.

But with increasing awareness of male kids molest cases,I may have to start fearing for the safety of my male child too.
We learn everyday.

For most people it may not even be because they don't think females can harm male kids,it may be more because everyone is more concerned about sheltering the female child(sexually)
If female molest cases get reported more,then invariably everyone feels males commit the molest offense more. I can't put stock in news I never or rarely ever heard.so can you blame them or do you blame those who choose not to report?

Why is it that males' molest cases don't get reported much?

Is it that the boys don't mind being molested?

Or that the parents have failed to teach them that anyone touching them inappropriately is wrong?
But same parents will rather concentrate on 'cocooning' the girls as they are the ones who are 'meant to be pure and sexually reserved'?

I think we are reaping a direct effect of such double standards.

You're of the school of thought that women have more to lose by engaging in sexual acts than males.
So I'd wager you carry your daughters like eggs and drum the sealed legs message into their ears while not giving the boys the same conditions.

Hence even small boys may not see it as a big deal if an older female touches them wrongly.
Hence they don't report more often.

With only the cases of female molest making the air waves,do you blame those who are more afraid for their daughters than their sons?

Would you let a woman take care of your little son at that very young age?
My bad, you've answered the question.

So in a nutshell, males are more sëxually aggressive than females. We're getting somewhere.

If a female is actually molesting a child, we'd still count it as "caring". It's only when it's super aggressive that people start taking notice.

For a male, however, any form of touch is counted as molesting because of the prejudice we already have.

It's very hypocritical and sexist. What's all the equality talks when men are stigmatized by you females ?

4 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by beeevan: 10:03pm On Sep 26, 2014
coogar:

you are too intelligent for my liking. angry angry

tongue tongue
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by 1miccza: 10:04pm On Sep 26, 2014
EfemenaXY:

, I'm not bothered about them having male teachers at higher levels (preferably secondary and above) . But at nursery level?

No.

What I would do? Seriously reconsider if that is the best place / school for my daughter to be at that point in time. This is where the onus is on prospective parents to carry out thorough background checks comes into play before handing over your precious little one to strangers. Would you believe me if I told you that I not only checked the OFSTED report going back for the past five years, for over twenty nursery schools, for my daughter? I also went there in person with her and her brothers & dad to get a proper "feel" of the place, staff, etc.

Think about it. Most nursery schools take kids from 3 months old. Would you in all honesty feel comfortable for a strange man to wipe/clean your baby's / daughter's bum? And change her soiled nappy?

Seriously.

Too much grammar *yimu* if I hear
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 26, 2014
1miccza:

Too much grammar *yimu*

1miccza:
Too much grammar *yimu* if I hear

Quoted this twice to type this sh1t. Something dey worry you for head

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by 1miccza: 10:16pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:

Quoted this twice to type this sh1t. Something dey worry you for head

grin nope u shouldn't resort to insults
Quoted once but the network did it's magic. Your comments though..............

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 26, 2014
I cannot clean my own poop, let alone another person's child's own
No, I cannot be a nursery/day-care/creche care provider/poop-cleaner/teacher (whatever the case may be)

Thanks cool

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by edwife(f): 10:19pm On Sep 26, 2014
BananaBender: SO these women are convinced that it is their "motherly instinct" that makes them view all male care-givers as incompetent or child molestors.

ho oh oo hho wo ho, I laugh in Santa Claus grin grin

It's shameful really, when you try to defend prejudice, discrimination, stereotyping and stup1dity.

I probably won't be pissed if they admit that they have a problem and that their mentality needs to be fixed because it is noxious to the society......... But mba, they are here high-fiving themselves and giving kudos for being a part of the problem.

*Where is my tea?*

Sugar?

4 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by BABE3: 10:21pm On Sep 26, 2014
In addition, following this logic, how's this any different from when a woman is denied a job because she may be too "emotional" to handle it? These same feminists come out to cry murder.

Now tables have turned and it's all good in the hood. I'm confused.

3 Likes

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 26, 2014
alutacontinua: I cannot clean my own poop, let alone another person's child's own
No, I cannot be a nursery/day-care/creche care provider/poop-cleaner/teacher (whatever the case may be)

Thanks cool

You had a sex change? shocked tongue

Welcome, the balls might feel uncomfortable but you'll get used to it.

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 26, 2014
BananaBender:

You had a sex change? shocked tongue

Welcome, the balls might feel uncomfortable but you'll get used to it.

I looooovvveeeee the balls grin
And with the abundance of hot, sexy chikalas around here, I'm gonna need the balls for a very long time cheesy wink
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
1miccza:

grin nope u shouldn't resort to insults
Quoted once but the network did it's magic. Your comments though..............

*Yimu* I bet it means kisses. wink
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by cococandy(f): 10:27pm On Sep 26, 2014
I doubt anyone with sense will count a woman fiddling with a boy's penis or(sickeningly) sucking on it as giving care.
I'd slug a person who passes such judgment.

The emphasis in my opinions should be laid on giving boys as much sex education as is given to girls.
That prejudice wouldn't exist solely against male offenders if female offenders were reported more often.

The stigmatization didn't just start one day. It started with countless reports and reports of molest cases.I'd bet it would have been balanced stigmatization if boys reported sexzual abuse too as often.

But how will they when no one paid them the same attention when it comes to discussing sexx issues.? They are basically allowed to be 'MEN'.sexxually unhindered and unfettered.

Parents are to blame really.
Maybe men aren't that more sexually aggressive like we are made to believe just that they've been allowed to grow unchecked.

How then do we turn around and blame those who are wary of their 'expected' sexual attitude?
When I was a growing girl,I was taught that getting close to a boy could get me pregnant instantly and ruin my life forever.
Needless to say,I closed my legs very tightly.

I watched my younger brother grow and he wasn't told that getting close to a girl would get the girl pregnant.he wasn't even told to be wary of girls.

Like I said before,we are reaping the results of our double standards.

BABE3:

Would you let a woman take care of your little son at that very young age?
My bad, you've answered the question.

So in a nutshell, males are more sëxually aggressive than females. We're getting somewhere.

If a female is actually molesting a child, we'd still count it as "caring". It's only when it's super aggressive that people start taking notice.

For a male, however, any form of touch is counted as molesting because of the prejudice we already have.

It's very hypocritical and sexist. What's all the equality talks when men are stigmatized by you females ?

1 Like

Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by 1miccza: 10:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce:

*Yimu* I bet it means kisses. wink
Serious?Then those kisses would be so damn long........
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
1miccza:
Serious?Then those kisses would be so damn long........

Lol. With the protruding lips. Ewww.
Re: Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View by TV01(m): 10:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
soonest: If una never mention feminism,una no go sleep well for night.smh

vikel2104: Seriously, the thing don tire me. I mean, don't they ever get tired of the subject? See how they've invaded this thread It must be an obsession.

The first person to touch on feminism in this thread was BananaBender - a woman. Strange that the comments above were only made after posts in response - by men?

The more seasoned posters know to overlook, avoid or ignore, if/when they think people are being disagreeable.

Apologies if that was meant for Bananabender

TV

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? / Best States To And Not To Marry From. / 5 Bedroom Country Home Design With Basement.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.