Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,787 members, 7,841,053 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences (20422 Views)

Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience / Has ATM Machine Ever Seized Your Card Before? / Your experiences with the UBA Naira Visa Africard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 6:24am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33: u live in Austria! Do ATM machines bug up that often in Freud's country ?
it happens...but rarely.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Panshow(m): 6:26am On Sep 28, 2014
I was deducted but money didn't came out. It'll be a week tomorrow and no reverse has been made. I complained to the bank (FCMB) and they said it would take a minimum of 7 working days. The whole thing is just crazy.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Codedboy95(m): 6:29am On Sep 28, 2014
Ha very well o, funnabite can say better
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by princealbashir: 6:30am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33: I swear!

You don experience that too?
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by VICALUFUO(m): 6:36am On Sep 28, 2014
i lyk to withdraw money with my atm. buh hate to fund my acc.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Kcdojoto(m): 6:46am On Sep 28, 2014
Yes it happened to me on a Friday evening I had no money on me and there are people working for me that I suppose to pay, I was hoping that after work I will go straight to ATM to withdraw some cash since I could not go to bank during the day, when I got there after slotting my card it got ceased, the security guys there asked me to come on Wednesday because Monday and Tuesday will be public holidays meanwhile those daily pay workers no go hear say money no dey o
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by SailorXY: 6:55am On Sep 28, 2014
went to tin can to get a recently cleared Tundra & I was destined for the Island! as is almost customary with tokunbo vehicles, the fuel init was little. I had my UBA card with me & only #500 in my pocket, it was about 4pm when I finally headed out of the ports. with all the annoying gridlock on the road, a policeman still collected the last #500 on me by hailing "bros this motor fit you no be small" grin grin grin

I finally broke free from the traffic around Mile 2 area & started driving into every bank ATM I met along the way, with same disappointing message "unable to complete". meanwhile, the V8 engine was already warning me seriously. it continued that way till a little after Oshodi, the tank went dry, damn!

I jumped out, locked the door & started strolling ahead in search of an ATM. I finally got one with same 'unable to complete', Omo I wan run mad. the unregistered vehicle is dumped by the road side @ Oshodi of all places, I was lucky it was even late night else I might have had LASTMA officials to contend with.

Luckily, I saw a policeman come into the banking premises, who was a security officer @ NNPC where I did my internship two years before then; & we were pals. I explained things to him & he assisted me with #3k, even got me a keg for fuel & gave me a lift on his bike to & from the gas station.

hmmm, that day wasn't funny @ all

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by zappyj(m): 6:55am On Sep 28, 2014
Heritage Bank's ATM always delivers.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by GraceInUSA: 7:04am On Sep 28, 2014
2 weeks ago, I spent my last cash on okada from College to Union bank's ATM at Market square Ekpoma. E pain me say my Eco card no work after spending 15min queuing. i decided to trek to GTB at the other end at Ali square. I spent 10mins queuing e no work. I went to Fidelity close to GTB and queued for like 30mins, e still no work. Frustrated, I had to trek to Ecobank on the outskirts of Ekpoma before I could withdraw under the heavy Ekpoma's rain. Thank God their ATM worked if not I for trek back to College.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Muscomide: 7:06am On Sep 28, 2014
In my case, I own an ATM card issued by First Bank. One fine Sunday afternoon, I went for a drive up to VIctoria Island and on getting there stopped to use a UBA ATM on Oyin Jolayemi St. I put my card in the ATM machine, typed in N2000, money no comot. Minutes later, I got alerted that N2000 had been deducted from my account. Long story short, it took 4 months and countless visits to my First Bank branch before dem return my money o.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Jarus(m): 7:08am On Sep 28, 2014
A couple, but the one I won't forget in a hurry happened in 2009 or so.

I was traveling to Minna, Niger state, to take flight to Abuja and then bus to Minna from Abuja. I don't like holding cash, so I didn't withdraw more than what I needed to buy my ticket at MMIA. After paying for my ticket, I had like N3000 or so left in my pocket. I took airport taxi to the motor park for N3000 (the taxi man said N3500) but I was able to have him collect 3k which was all I had left on me.

I got to Utako park and I was told the fare for Abuja-Minna bus was 1k. I went to the nearest ATM, Zenith Bank, to withdraw the money needed to continue the journey only to be told by ATM: you financial institution is not available. I tried another bank within the area, a UBA, same story. It wasn't funny. I kept trying like 10 times, shuttling between the two ATM machines. 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours same story.

Annoyed, I called my friends that worked in GTB Head Office, cursing GTB, barking on top of my voice over the phone as if my friend was the owner of GTB, telling him to speak to their IT people that they had put me in mess in far away Abuja. I knew a couple of people in Abuja, but I didn't even have money to visit them and I had exhausted my phone credit shouting to my friends that worked in GTB. More so, since I was just passing through Abuja, I was hesitant to reach out to any friend or family in Abuja, especially as I was having hope that the ATM would work in 10, 15 minutes.

My friend in GTB apologised on behalf of the bank, told me his IT people told him it was a general issue and they're working on it even on that Saturday afternoon.

I waited. Still no show.

I had to borrow 1k from the bank's security guy who saw me sweating on that hot afternoon, to continue the journey.

I asked for the guy's number, thanked him and headed back to the park. He didn't give me his number (or maybe he said he didn't have..cant remember) but he told me anytime I came back, I should just ask of Chris.

I reached Minna 2 hours later...and the first ATM I used worked. I vex withdraw almost all the withdrawable limit for a day. 100k or so then.

On my way back the next day, I was late and rushed straight to the airport as I was almost missing my flight. And the bank was far from the airport side.

I returned the guy's money when next I traveled to Abuja, like 2 months later. Didn't meet him as he was not on duty that day, met his colleague who said he was aware of my incident. I dropped the money and my number for onward delivery to Chris the next day when he came to work.

He called me to say he got the money. I was full of thanks to such person, who didn't know me, and offered to give me 1k. For a person - security guy - whose salary may be just 20k (2009). That's 5% of his salary. Good people still exist in Nigeria.

30 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Jarus(m): 7:11am On Sep 28, 2014
I got to office on Monday after the incident and sent a stinking email to my friend who forwarded it to their customer service. I got an official apology email from GTB few days later.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 28, 2014
princealbashir:

You don experience that too?

Yep!
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Muscomide: 7:21am On Sep 28, 2014
magicfingers009: Mine is unforgettable. I had only N10 on me and it was a Thursday evening. So I went to the bank to use the ATM. Unfortunately the machine swallowed my card. That same evening, President Yaradua died. The next day which happens to be a friday, banks didn't open, I could not get to collect my card or go to my bank and withdraw over the counter.

I fasted all through the weekend. And I couldn't call my folks to bring money cos I had no credit. I was in the hostel and my friends had travelled cos it was after exams. I will never forget that experience. Never!

My guy, na only 'the cabal' people really sabi the date wen YarAdua croak o. Were you in the cabal?

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by udysweet(f): 7:22am On Sep 28, 2014
Mine has happened severally but der was always a reversal.However one happened in 2008 I can't forget.I came to Lagos from school to buy stuff to go back to sell.It was a Saturday,I had gotten to idumota to buy jewelry,I had just 200naira on me.I now bought this spray gun for insecticide for the 200naira with the mind that I'll have money when I witdraw to buy stuff.But something happened,I just saw myself calling back the person who sold the spray gun and collected my money that I don't want to buy again. The guy abused me sef but I just quiet. As I got to the ATM and punched in 20k,the thing counted and then ddnt come out,dey debitted me! I could not see who to complain to cos it was a saturday. Minde you I used an Intercontinental bank then but I used Spring bank ATM along dat idumagbo road. I now casted bak my mind to when I returned that spray gun cos infact that was the money I used to transport myself back home,lmao!!! Else I would have been stranded! If una see the kain vex I take go meet the branch manager that day o for inside dat same lagos island,cos I was supposed to travel on sunday. They still could not reverse it,na the bank mgr borrow me the 20k(I swear!) come say make I sign form say mak dem debit me when d money is reversed. Yeye man,na eye e dey eye me naim mak am giv me d money o,yeye fat goat! Me I just took the money and left jo. Was after 2days it reversed,shaparly anoda debit alert don enter,the man no even waste time colet him money back sha,I tink say e go dash me,looool!

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by pesty100(m): 7:23am On Sep 28, 2014
Had maths exam by 8:00 got to ATM at 7:40, wanted to withdraw moni to buy calculator... But to my disappointment ATM wasn't dispensing
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Odunharry(m): 7:26am On Sep 28, 2014
bbello28: grin I wan withdraw... Dem debit me... Money no gree Come out sad cry
i dy tell u....many atm dy do am wella
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by tosyne2much(m): 7:28am On Sep 28, 2014
Then, I was in school and needed cash.. Went to sch ATMs, no network in all d machines.. Chaiiii shey hunger no go finish me dis weekend so ?.. Borrowed 50box frm my friend and headed straight to town.. On getting to skye bank, I discovered there were so many students clustered around the ATMs.. I got closer only to discover there was no service at all.. Haaaaaa how do I get back to my villa? We stood there for couple of minutes and told of one the staff that we wanted to see the Manager.. He came to us and we explained our problems.. He was so kind that he gave us money to transport ourselves back to the villa
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by laplace12(m): 7:28am On Sep 28, 2014
englishmart: I think "m" in the acronym "ATM" means machine.
So no need to call it ATM machine.

That's my own awful experience.
Lol cheesy

over sabi
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by laplace12(m): 7:31am On Sep 28, 2014
mine happened last nite. The machine said my card isn't smart. don know what that means. First bank card.

I have money in my account but I'm about having a broke weekend sad
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Maximus85(m): 7:32am On Sep 28, 2014
You may find it hard to believe but there was this access bank machine, I wanted to withdraw 20k, the money came out, "take ur cash" I wanted to take it but it was hard and before I can say jack, the money went back in. In that same second, a debit alert sounded in my phone. I was maaaaaaad.

It was later credited sha but that was after two weeks.

Soo annoying.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by gbadexy(m): 7:32am On Sep 28, 2014
The ATM in nigeria is nothing to write home about.
For someone like me that regularly do ATM cash withdrawal to purchase materials for paint supply, its been a nightmare. I'm a regular face at my bank branch due to the number of times I go and fill the form for non dispensing.
The machine often debits without dispensing and it takes up to eight days sometimes to be credited.
Sometimes, after withdrawing like twice, it won't dispense again. I sometimes go to 5 different banks to be able to make full withdrawal as some of the Atm won't dispense at all and some won't dispense more than twice.
I've been disappointed twice in a situation where the balance in my account is just over twenty thousand and I needed the exact 20k to do something urgent. I had to go and borrow money.
What I do now is to go to the banking hall to make bulk withdrawal whenever I want to do business transaction. That way there is no story of dispense error. The inconvenience is much.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by happykidArotiba(m): 7:33am On Sep 28, 2014
Lol. very well. in fact all the securities to the bank knows me.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by Maximus85(m): 7:35am On Sep 28, 2014
laplace12:
mine happened last nite. The machine said my card isn't smart. don know what that means. First bank card.

I have money in my account but I'm about having a broke weekend sad

I swear this happened to me yesterday. Someone there told me that maybe the chip on my atm is damaged. Na Fidelity ATM.

Pls if you've been able to use ur card after that let me know.

Thanks.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by CoCoLav(f): 7:36am On Sep 28, 2014
Last day of school, we were asked to vacate the hostels before 5pm that day. My flight was for the next day and I had nowhere to stay. Also needed to send my luggage through waybill. I went to the ATM and withdrew just 4k to settle my clearance and pay some outstanding debt. Forgot about all the other expenses I had.

By the time I finished settling my debt, I had just #500 left on me. This was around 12pm. Went back to the ATM with my bff to get money to pay the cab driver who was to carry our things to the park, pay for the waybill and also the hotel bills. As we got there, the ATM had stopped dispensing. This was the only ATM in the entire campus. My bff was disturbed because she had no money. It was paying selected cards and our cards weren't among the lucky cards.

At this time I was very hungry and between the both of us, it was the #500 I had we were both hanging on to. Where we usually eat, the cheapest food there was #400. We couldn't borrow money from anyone because it was the last day of school and there's a possibility we will never see them again. We asked the security man what was going to happen since that day was a Saturday. He said he had placed a call to the ATM guys and they will be there by 2. We decided to go and eat. Got there and ordered one plate of rice and two satchets of pure water which we shared only for the sales girl to say she doesn't have #80 change. We followed her for about 30 minutes from store to store looking for change. By the time we got back to the bank, the issue had been resolved but there was now a very long queue. We were there till about 4pm before we could withdraw.

Its an unforgettable experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by penny01502: 7:37am On Sep 28, 2014
LadiesPet: Big boys don't use ATM.
tell me something, what are they using?
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by happykidArotiba(m): 7:37am On Sep 28, 2014
udysweet: Mine has happened severally but der was always a reversal.However one happened in 2008 I can't forget.I came to Lagos from school to buy stuff to go back to sell.It was a Saturday,I had gotten to idumota to buy jewelry,I had just 200naira on me.I now bought this spray gun for insecticide for the 200naira with the mind that I'll have money when I witdraw to buy stuff.But something happened,I just saw myself calling back the person who sold the spray gun and collected my money that I don't want to buy again. The guy abused me sef but I just quiet. As I got to the ATM and punched in 20k,the thing counted and then ddnt come out,dey debitted me! I could not see who to complain to cos it was a saturday. Minde you I used an Intercontinental bank then but I used Spring bank ATM along dat idumagbo road. I now casted bak my mind to when I returned that spray gun cos infact that was the money I used to transport myself back home,lmao!!! Else I would have been stranded! If una see the kain vex I take go meet the branch manager that day o for inside dat same lagos island,cos I was supposed to travel on sunday. They still could not reverse it,na the bank mgr borrow me the 20k(I swear!) come say make I sign form say mak dem debit me when d money is reversed. Yeye man,na eye e dey eye me naim mak am giv me d money o,yeye fat goat! Me I just took the money and left jo. Was after 2days it reversed,shaparly anoda debit alert don enter,the man no even waste time colet him money back sha,I tink say e go dash me,looool!
Lol. had same experience! BTW u must av being fascinating to d manager...coz I'm sure if it were a guy....he could even say d bank is broke..coz he won't help.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by laplace12(m): 7:38am On Sep 28, 2014
Maximus85:

I swear this happened to me yesterday. Someone there told me that maybe the chip on my atm is damaged. Na Fidelity ATM.

Pls if you've been able to use ur card after that let me know.

Thanks.

ok bro. I also thought about the chip having issues. Think I will try to clean it small, It could be dust is covering it.
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by happykidArotiba(m): 7:40am On Sep 28, 2014
penny01502: tell me something, what are they using?
we use the Chequebook!
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by AMAKAVIOLA: 7:41am On Sep 28, 2014
okirewaju: Nahhhhh

Never

Then u dont live in Nija...

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by holluwai(m): 7:42am On Sep 28, 2014
Several times oh but the one I'll never forget is one day(2007)me and my friends and our chicks went to see a movie, it was a Sunday and I was the only one that had an ATM card. We were already at the galleria, my friends already rushed to checked which movie was showing. I inserted my card and the next thing the machine swallow card, I just called then and told them to rush the same way back say machine don hold card. That's how we went home with no fun cry
Re: Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:48am On Sep 28, 2014
The Day Ma Laptop Was Delivered. I Picked Up Ma ATM(Visa) And We headed To The Nearest Bank(UBA) To Witdraw In Other To Pay The Agents Their Balance. When We Got There, I headed To The ATM, Slot Ma Card, Typed Ma Pin Etc. But All Of A Sudden, Both Ma Card And The Cash Was Seized By The Machine. I Mean They Didn't Came Out. The Worst Part Of It Was The Alert They Sent Me Saying The Money Had Been Deducted 4rm Ma Account And It Was On A Saturday. ThankGod The Agents Understood And Reasoned Well With Me That Day. Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Corrupt Firms Barred From Business In Nigeria / Brand New ABB Transformers For Sale / Online Help And Trust Betrayal: How A Young Girl Defrauded Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.