Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward (63387 Views)

Obiano's Wife Gives Bungalow Houses To Widows In Anambra - Photos / How Governors Turn Govt Houses To Sex Havens: Punch / I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Jossy4luv1(m): 9:36pm On Sep 29, 2014
moscobabs:
na now they suppose remember ham
when dem no give ham,u talk,nao dat dem don tink and den give him,u still complained.Y ALWAYS COMPLAINT

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by marieolae(f): 9:38pm On Sep 29, 2014
Johnathan its too late for all dis. We have suffered for too long

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by dangoteagent: 9:41pm On Sep 29, 2014
to be a dangote agent, buy bag of cement for cheap rate, and sell at affordable rate.
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by akiOYIBO: 9:42pm On Sep 29, 2014
Same thing would hqve been done for OJUKWU but GEJ neva minded. He does things when politically motivated. GEJ you may think we south easterners has no choice but I must tell you we're watching very closely, your actions.
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by ebube89(f): 9:46pm On Sep 29, 2014
OGA GEJ NEXT SHOULD BE THE COAUTHORS OF THE NATIONAL ANTHEM DAT HAV BEEN FORGOTTEN SINCE 1979
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by sexzskil(f): 9:46pm On Sep 29, 2014
This is propaganda and politics at their best. In this frustrating time, Nigeria needs a president with the mind of American republicans and Russian Putin, I mean a president of actions on situation and not an arms-giving, indiscriminate award giving or condo lent visiting from an inept, corrupt, clueless, reta.r.ded cowboy! This will be the greatest way to honour Nigeria past so-called titans.
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by tk4rd: 9:53pm On Sep 29, 2014
moscobabs:
But they remember am at all.. That one na bad thing too? #enemyofprogressoo

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Timijo(m): 9:56pm On Sep 29, 2014
Weldone president of the people. Keep on proving your enemies wrong. GEJ till 2019.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by adedayourt(m): 9:59pm On Sep 29, 2014
Its al campaign strategy. Good one but am not movedundecidedundecided

Let the gullible minds kip getting demselves decieved
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Lilimax(f): 10:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
Orikinla: Good political PR for 2015 presidential election.
[size=18pt]
60 Minutes with the Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/60-minutes-with-the-man-who-designed-nigerian-flag/160096/[/size]

As a student, he went through the tutelage of late Pa Emmanuel Alayande and also retired as Assistant Superintendent of Agriculture in the Oyo State ministry. But Pa Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi would be remembered as a national icon who designed Nigerian flag in 1959 when he was barely 23. Though, an unsung Nigerian hero, FUNKE OLAODE caught up with Pa Akinkunmi at his Ibadan Oyo State home and unveils the man whose name has become synonymous with the national symbol

Growing up in a polygamous setting
I was born in May 1936 in Ibadan, Oyo State in the then Western Region to the family of the late Pa Akinkunmi. When I was born, my father was working in a foreign firm, PZ in the North while my mother was a petty trader. He was a polygamist with three wives and 10 children. Among my father’s 10 children, my mother had three. So it was interesting growing up in a polygamous setting. Ironically, we didn’t experience acrimony associated with polygamy because my father, as the head of the family was in charge. What really helped was that the children didn’t grow up together because by the time I was getting older, some had finished secondary school and moved to Lagos to seek for greener pasture. So, with an educated father, going to school wasn’t a problem. My father retired from his work while I was still a toddler but still played his role well as a father in ensuring that our school fees were paid on time. Apart from his pension, which he collected at his retirement, he was a very wise man who invested heavily in property. With that, he was able to sustain his family.
Early education
I began my early education in the North. After my father’s retirement, he came down to the West and I was re-enrolled at Baptist Day School, IdI-Ikan in Ibadan. Coming to Ibadan was a great relief because of the harsh condition in the North. As kids, we coped well. I finished from Baptist Day School in 1949.

Memorable childhood events
We were still in the North when the war broke out but still experienced a bit of it. Every child that was born in my era would have recollection of the second world war of 1939 to 1945. I was about three years when the war broke out. So, I wasn’t conscious of that era. By the time it ended in 1945, I was about nine years and I had a vivid recollection of how soldiers were being drafted to the war or kept vigil in many parts of the town. When it was tensed, we would ask to stay at a particular location. We experienced that till the war ended.

I didn’t play pranks as a kid
I couldn’t afford to display any youthful exuberance because my father was a disciplinarian. He was so disciplined that he didn’t indulge us or spare the rod. And if you wanted to proof stubborn, he always had his cane at his disposal and one gets slashed. In a way, this put us in check not to play pranks. Nevertheless, we usually engaged in one or two. For instance, whenever we were asked to fetch water; we would go to flowing streams at the end of the town pretending that we were looking for clean water. In the process, we would use the opportunity to swim. Coming home would be a problem because our red eyes would give us away. As kids, we had a way of escaping my parent’s wrath.

Schooling
I finished from Baptist Day School Idi-kan in 1949 and proceeded to Ibadan Grammar School (IGS) in 1950. IGS was a mini Nigeria because people came from all over the country. I met the likes of Chief Sokan, Mr. Williams, Goodie Ibru, and the late Chief Dr. Omonigbeyin and so on. It was a highly competitive school and I was privileged to be among the ‘privileged’. I was lucky that my father was well established because he was able to take care of my school fees. As said earlier, he had properties and he appointed caretakers to look and monitor them. The money accrued at the end of the day was able to take care for our needs as students. It was interesting to be tutored and groomed under our principal then, the late Papa Alayande who took over from Bishop Akinyele, the founder of the school. Pa Alayande was a good and committed teacher. He was a disciplinarian who always wanted the best for his students. And when you look at the caliber of people who went through IGS all of them turned out well. Again, some of our teachers were expatriates. With Pa Alayande coupled with their (expatriates) efforts, we enjoyed the best of education of that era.

Beginning a career
I left IGS in 1955 to chart a career path for myself. I took appointment as an agriculturist at the Western Region Secretariat in Ibadan as a civil servant. Although, I wanted to go further but there was no money to pursue such luxury of higher learning. After working for a few years, there was this yearning for higher education which I pursued. I had the privilege to travel abroad and attended Norwood Technical College in London where I studied electrical engineering. You would wonder what an agriculturist was doing in engineering…well, they both fall under science. My certificate actually gave me the intuition to go into engineering as a science student. So, I was excited when I finally secured admission to go to England which was another terrain. Coming from Ibadan, an ancient city, I was blown away with the level of infrastructural development and at the same time I exercised caution. It was a cold environment but I was able to cope because I was in good health and we saw the opportunity of a sound education, which foundation had been laid back home at IGS. We had good teachers. As a matter of fact, a couple of them were expatriates. So, schooling in London was like an extension of my secondary school. You know at IGS, we had adapted to them teaching us through the nose. So we didn’t find it difficult to comprehend what we were being taught and didn’t find it strange when academic commenced in a foreign land.

Coming back to Nigeria from England
There was opportunity to stay back in England after my studies, but there was this spirit of patriotism in people like us to come back home. After my training at Norwood Technical College, London, I returned to Nigeria in 1963 and went back to the agricultural department at the secretariat in Ibadan to continue where I stopped. I coped very well as a returnee because there was this urge to contribute one’s quota to the development of the state and Nigeria at large. I worked as a civil servant till 1994 and retired as Assistant Superintendent of Agric.

Designing Nigeria’s Flag
I was in England when I got involved in what stands me out today as ‘Mr. Flag Man’. I was in the Library when I saw an advertisement in Daily Times (Nigerian Newspaper) in the late 50s. I saw this advertisement looking for somebody to design National Flag which would be used for independence celebration in Nigeria in October 1960. I took part in the competition and sent it to Nigeria. My entry was dropped at the then legislative chambers, the Tafawa Balewa now Race Course. Fortunately, my design was picked among 2000 participants from all over. Few weeks later, a letter was sent to me in England that my design won. I felt elated and on top of the world that I had done something significant for my country. When you are talking about inspiration, I can tell you that God is the greatest inspirator. But designing an acceptable design that is still being used 53 years on was borne out of my experience as a Nigerian. One couldn’t have expected a science student to be able to come up with such design that has become a national symbol. I was a science student who was involved in technical drawing of equipment. Also, my observation back home, going to school and later going to work and my day-to-day activities actually helped me. The people I lived with during my school days coupled with my experience as an artist helped me to be able to fabricate that design.

I won 100 pounds for designing Nigeria’s flag
I sent in my entry to Nigeria and moved on with my studies in England. I was surprised, elated and excited when my name was announced as the winner. I was about 23 years old and it was such a great honour for me. Actually, I didn’t know I would win. I won a prize of a hundred pounds. The presentation was carried out at the Nigerian embassy in London. And it has been in use since then. But here I am at 77, I have not been recognized or given national honour beyond a 100 pounds received 53 years ago in London. The only time I was remembered was in 2010 when Nigeria celebrated her Golden Jubilee. I was among the 50 nominees that President Goodluck Jonathan presented with a Gold Medal and a certificate. There was a time a group of students honoured me and added MON in front of my name in the posters. I was embarrassed and I came out that I have not been giving a MON or national recognition. I am happy that in my life time I am still being celebrated by people who felt I have contributed to my country. Recently, August 23rd to be precise, the Nigeria-Britain Association celebrated me in Lagos in appreciation of my involvement with regards to the designing of the Nigerian flag years ago. In attendance were Mrs. Francesca Emanuel CON, Chief Keith Richards, MD of Promasidor Nigeria Limited, Mr. Mike Purves, director United Kingdom Trade and Investment amongst others. Mr. Ed Keazor, a blogger and historian gave a presentation of my life. I was humbled that someone somewhere still cares. Nevertheless, the best moment of my life was still that exciting moment when my name was announced as the winner of Nigeria’s flag. It was a feat for me.

Getting personal
I came back to Nigeria in 1963 and in 1964 I went back to the secretariat and settled down as a civil servant. I was about 27 years when I came back, matured, had a regular income and there was this urge to start my own family. There was a young damsel who caught my fancy. Her name was Kudirat. She was a trader, selling kitchen utensils and materials. As a returnee I tried one or two educated ladies but I didn’t succeed. But one thing I realised in life is that in all facets of life (even beyond marriage) knowing what suits you. I courted her and we got married. The marriage is blessed with children. Some have graduated while some are still schooling.

Fulfilling life’s aspiration
Can any man fulfill life’s aspirations? My answer is no because we all aspire for greater things. I went to school, got a job, and have my family to interact with. In my case, I think to some degree, I can say well done. I thank God for playing a vital role in my life, passing through Nigeria and making an impact. Whether national recognition or not, I am sure when the names of Nigeria’s heroes are being mentioned, my name will be conspicuously present.

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Spray(m): 10:02pm On Sep 29, 2014
boygeorge: As a mark of appreciation to their dedication to service as well as to the nation, President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Minister of FCT Senator Bala Mohammed to give out flats in Abuja to Traffic Warden Solomon Dauda, Taxi driver Imeh Usuah, as well as head of the Presidential stewards Onuh Isaac Micheal.

He has also directed the Secretary to the Federal Government to immediately place Pa Micheal Taiwo Akinkunmi (designer of the Nigerian flag) on a salary scale of Special Assistant to the President for life.

In his closing remarks at the presentation of national awards to over 300 Nigerians, President Jonathan commended the honorees and urged them to see their honour as recognition of their service to the nation.

. This ijaw man no high today ooo, e try for the frst time
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by MilitaryMinded(m): 10:04pm On Sep 29, 2014
Should have been done decades ago..........na when the man don old nearly die na im dem wan start.......better late than never sha

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Sammyblaq(m): 10:04pm On Sep 29, 2014
Good move by the GCFR.
Onowu Neni was there too on the list...i mean chief sir Anthony Enukeme. Tonimas!
Sen. Nkechi Nwogu awarded but come check out our street....too phucking!
T.A portfolio was overhyped...u need a replay
The English man(former VC ABSU), SSG Mkpa Agu Mkpa awarded.
.et al
Senator David with another sen just dey high table dey reason matter 2day eh...
Omosexy wan cause gbege...JO u get eyes
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by clemz88(m): 10:04pm On Sep 29, 2014
Datz not my business . Mr president should come and commission the ferma federal task force instead of making us waisting our time at that gaxxxdexxxxxm place .cos no be other peoples honour man go chop
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by BlackHuman(m): 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2014
I don't want to sound like an hater, but I just feel like asking this objective question-..Did the country not pay pa Akinkunmi for his services back then?
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by lawkie77(m): 10:14pm On Sep 29, 2014
u gather mr president

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by ahizih(m): 10:17pm On Sep 29, 2014
boygeorge: As a mark of appreciation to their dedication to service as well as to the nation, President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Minister of FCT Senator Bala Mohammed to give out flats in Abuja to Traffic Warden Solomon Dauda, Taxi driver Imeh Usuah, as well as head of the Presidential stewards Onuh Isaac Micheal.

He has also directed the Secretary to the Federal Government to immediately place Pa Micheal Taiwo Akinkunmi (designer of the Nigerian flag) on a salary scale of Special Assistant to the President for life.

In his closing remarks at the presentation of national awards to over 300 Nigerians, President Jonathan commended the honorees and urged them to see their honour as recognition of their service to the nation.

hmmmm dat steward go don get haux bfor nw nah,e no easy to be presidential steward haba
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Twanna(f): 10:17pm On Sep 29, 2014
This should have be done very very looooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time ago. Make them sha place all im pikin pikin pikin on salary scale too when the old man goes...........
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Mekyno(m): 10:21pm On Sep 29, 2014
Nyc 1, i hv said it b4, GEJ is a wise silent achiever.
O boy, dat ette bor, a taxi man dat returned abt 18 millon dat waz forgotten in his taxi to d owner, strong pass me ooo.
Bt many ppl will ask if he ever wish to escape d poverty realm in his lyf tym?......God is gr8

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by clemz88(m): 10:22pm On Sep 29, 2014
oluwashedy: Does it mean tha pa akinkunmi &family will keep receiving salary after death?
question for the gods
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 29, 2014
brito:

are u this daft?

probably if you call human specie that think deep daft I rather be daft than be normal as you who's stuck in the shell
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by OLADD: 10:36pm On Sep 29, 2014
xcolanto: GEJ the leader that has his citizens at heart! When GEJ said those that insulted him yesterday would rejoice and praise him today, many thought he was 'clueless' as opposition would say. Today this thread stands as a testimony to that. Well done Sir! cool
[color=#006600][/color]

My friend, you need to feel how elated I am today. I am happy because many nairalanders despite diverse opinions and political inclinations, have deemed it worthwhile to jettison sentiments in overwhelmingly praising the president for these gestures. My instinct always tells me GEJ is a good man and a good president. There are some qualities in him that endears him to me every time. Like I have always said, Jonathan has his shortcomings as a human born of flesh, so do all of us as mortals. What matters most is whether our buts outweighs merits or vice versa. In the case of the president, his good sides far surpasses any negatives and that's a fact. I have seen so many presidents in Nigeria and other parts of the world, GEJ's humility and tolerance is second to non. Aside this, the nation needs a Godfearing leader in this trying moment of our history as a nation and GEJ fits the bill.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by tochilastborn(m): 10:39pm On Sep 29, 2014
Its is long over-due.

NIGERIANS AND THEIR GOVERNMENT LACKS SOME QUINTESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTES OF NATIONHOOD.

What I am saying in essence is that this dying man(his days are numbered) gave this country a face,a right to independently stand among the comity of nations.a picture that has givn this country more good than vice versa.and its only now that this country is deeming it fit to reward him on a national tone.

Copyrite owners,patent lawyers will understand the value of his contribution to naija.

LONG LIVE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by timilehing(m): 10:39pm On Sep 29, 2014
Jonathan doing things he should have done earlier when its already late. Your special adviser on your 2nd term is clueless
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by OLADD: 10:42pm On Sep 29, 2014
Xplicitonu: God bless the most reasonable, democratic and solution provider president of nigeria. For this noble gesture... U've got my vote come 2015.
[color=#006600][/color]

Millions agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 29, 2014
moscobabs:
it's better late than never . Fresh breeze cool

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2014
This is really nice
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by olaboy001(m): 10:59pm On Sep 29, 2014
BlackHuman: I don't want to sound like an hater, but I just feel like asking this objective question-..Did the country not pay pa Akinkunmi for his services back then?
Don't mind that fellow ja re
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by xcolanto(m): 11:05pm On Sep 29, 2014
OLADD: [color=#006600][/color]

My friend, you need to feel how elated I am today. I am happy because many nairalanders despite diverse opinions and political inclinations, have deemed it worthwhile to jettison sentiments in overwhelmingly praising the president for these gestures. My instinct always tells me GEJ is a good man and a good president. There are some qualities in him that endears him to me every time. Like I have always said, Jonathan has his shortcomings as a human born of flesh, so do all of us as mortals. What matters most is whether our buts outweighs merits or vice versa. In the case of the president, his good sides far surpasses any negatives and that's a fact. I have seen so many presidents in Nigeria and other parts of the world, GEJ's humility and tolerance is second to non. Aside this, the nation needs a Godfearing leader in this trying moment of our history as a nation and GEJ fits the bill.

Couldn't have put it better Sir! Going through the pages of the thread and seeing an objective assessment from diverse platforms commending the president is new to me. Knowing the opposition figures and their "pull down the goverment of the day' attitude, one would think they would outrighly play the "hate" card in this timely and lovely gesture. It's refreshing to know that despite our difference we as a people can still come together to uphold what is right and just. Kudos! To the Nigerian people that support their government despite all odds to descredit the Nigerian state. cheesy
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by HopeAlive14(m): 11:06pm On Sep 29, 2014
God bless you Mr. President for this gesture laden with wisdom and compassion that eluded previous regimes. You continue to perform acts that even your opponents and fierce critics cannot contest. You are definitely a detribalized President even though you have been misunderstood in so many ways.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by dannysoya: 11:06pm On Sep 29, 2014
Finally some decent news.

This man should have been on life salary ages ago only now when the election is approaching have they found their senses. He should never ever have to starve again.
Re: Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward by daveP(m): 11:08pm On Sep 29, 2014
igbsam: How Old is the Man Now ?

One Prayer I always love to say is that. God should please bless me now and enlarge my coast now that i'm agile, active and strong. Not when I am old and unable to do anything for my grand kids who would rather order me around to go and rest or take me to a home for the elderly so i can have excessive rest due to my old age. What is the use having such gratitude when you are no longer capable of enjoying life and doing what you should be doing at a youthful age.

So the moment he dies now, all the payments stops. His children are back to hustling.
he is late 70s if nt in his 80s

But he might start thinking and depart this world soon cos it will be a shocker of some sorts about why all this is coming now.

I like the idea and commend GEJ for remembering him like this. I have my reservations though. But good call GEJ.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Fact Check: Did Obi Win 19 States In February 25 Presidential Election? / Nigeria Paid $500m For New Tucano Jets – U.S / This Buhari's Tweet On Fuel Scarcity Under Jonathan Has Got Everyone Talking(pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.