Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96982 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by shegixo(m): 6:42pm On Oct 13, 2014
All this words are english; their version is 'pigin'. Joor is a yoruba word tho
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by qloreal: 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:
If this useless thread make Fp i go smoke one full bowl of weed today
bro, na 2 beqin smoke d weed na
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
AdamuUcheOla:
The word "installementally" is a perfect example of a word Nigerians think is an English word. It however isn't.

I used it a few times in a meeting with non-Nigerians and noticed a couple of weird looks of confusion. A few weeks afterwards, my Oga came to ask me what the word meant. undecided

U go dey fall Nigerians hand. Wetin be installementally....chaiii diaris godu...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by money121(m): 6:44pm On Oct 13, 2014
Richie0974:
Who doesn't know those words ain't English angry

you and me tongue
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by TeetoEsq(m): 6:46pm On Oct 13, 2014
If I hear....
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by money121(m): 6:46pm On Oct 13, 2014
What of chai??

Example; chai deir is God ooo
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by ideology(m): 6:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
barackohandso:
What about 'kukuma' ?

Kukuma - better still
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by GIFTEDPLANNERS(m): 6:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
I dey well and I dey gbam
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by phollybee(m): 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2014
abegiii wetin dey sele? no be English i spoke?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by vicogu76(m): 6:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
What about this one, you too nko
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 13, 2014
Dammyjohn:
Theis so seroius indeed.I have been taking note of these grammertical blunders whenever people talks in Engish.This issue of combining pigin with correct English must be stopes true should incase you want to go for interview.
Thanks.

the only thing that need to be stopped is u. you need to be stopped from writing English..I guess I can call you lyrical murderer..
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by piagetskinner(m): 6:56pm On Oct 13, 2014
I never for once, thought they were english words...u just dey find comments

NEXT!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Ryskey: 6:56pm On Oct 13, 2014
How about sun-sung and sun-sungly.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 13, 2014
Growing up,i didnt knw d words*kukuma and boya*werent english words oo..btw i was still quite little,buh now u dnt hv to be a literate to knw dose words aint english na...buh wait oo,there are actuali english words dah sound yorubaish..#AKIN,am cmin leme find more
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by marvmurphy(m): 6:57pm On Oct 13, 2014
Front page tinx oya
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by NaLaugh: 6:57pm On Oct 13, 2014
If anyone truly believed any of these words were English, i would really like to know:

Abeg, which school you go?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by whitecat1: 7:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
Joo or joor, se or shey and sa or sha are Yoruba words!
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by mikron(m): 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
OP we all know they are not English words, they are naija broken English slangs.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2014
AdamuUcheOla:
The word "installementally" is a perfect example of a word Nigerians think is an English word. It however isn't.

I used it a few times in a meeting with non-Nigerians and noticed a couple of weird looks of confusion. A few weeks afterwards, my Oga came to ask me what the word meant. undecided
So who told u its not english ,may be u spelt it wrong but the "installmentally I know is pure english ,thank me later.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2014
AdamuUcheOla:

LMFAO.....installmentally ko instrumentally ni.....CHEI....."I will pay in installments" ...that should suffice....but Naija people like to sound smart they end up sounding dvmb!!!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Yakzo(m): 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2014
What about "chook me with needle "
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by whitecat1: 7:03pm On Oct 13, 2014
"Kuku" is a Yoruba word, meaning "you might as well"
barackohandso:
What about 'kukuma' ?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by phemmyjohnson: 7:05pm On Oct 13, 2014
Wtf!!!!
Even a relegated, Dropped Out Rusticated Uneducationalized illiterate will not take the op's words as English..
Tell me how a sane person will take 'Eiya' as English word..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by coolheed: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
fashy.

The boy was fashied by her mother.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by drnoel: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

Those are not words but slangs or exclamations. They are not words cos their meaning cut across a lot of things and depend heavily on the situation or the manner with which they were said. Words are combination of alphabets grammatically to make meaning.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 13, 2014
Dolcilicious:

I hope ure high already tongue

jst can't stop laffing
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by etungha08: 7:11pm On Oct 13, 2014
Kpe
Otieooh
Sha
Shebi?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by whitecat1: 7:12pm On Oct 13, 2014
They are Yoruba words adopted by others. These are words not slangs.

"Se" means would or do
"Joo" means please
"Sha" means might or just
drnoel:

Those are not words but slangs or exclamations. They are not words cos their meaning cut across a lot of things and depend heavily on the situation or the manner with which they were said.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by r33d(m): 7:14pm On Oct 13, 2014
Not to sound one-sided but, I think these words have something to do with Lagos. It is widely used there, i think. Slangs or colloquial languages help to better express your self while talking. The colloquial words are not of the standard English language but, it makes communication easy at least, among the general environment like market place or some other informal environment.

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Orikinla(m): 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
OP, anyone who thinks these words could be English must be RE-TARDED.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by drololaaof: 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
I AM NOT A GRAMMARIAN BUT ALL THE WORD ' S ARE NON ENGLISH BUT PIGIN & SLANG'S EITHER COINED FROM SOME NATIVE LANGUAGE OR FOREIGN WORD JOOR OR JOOH COINED FROM YORUBA ETC

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 13, 2014
what of tortori

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.