Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (97) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (697404 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 9:52pm On Nov 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Pinnick: U-23 Eagles Must Pick Rio Olympics Ticket
[/size]

Nigeria Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick has charged the U-23 Eagles to finish in the top three of the Africa U-23 Cup of Nations starting in Senegal on Saturday so as to claim a ticket to the Rio 2016 Olympics.

Nigeria failed to qualify for the London Olympics in 2012, four years after current coach Samson Siasia led the team to silver at the Beijing 2008 Games.

Pinnick is backing the present team to get the country back to the Games.
“Presently, we are on a roll of good results and we are determined that those must continue,” Pinnick told thenff.com.

“It’s been an exciting past few months during which we have won U-17 World Cup, qualified for the U-20 Women’s World Cup and reached the group stage of the African series for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

“The NFF is backing Samson Siasia because he is always keen to succeed. He has brought new, exciting faces to the group and there is confidence all around again. The ticket to the Olympics is non-negotiable.”

The U-23 Eagles play their first match of the campaign against Mali at the Caroline Faye Stadium in Mbour on Sunday evening.

Pinnick insists that Senegal will again prove to be a happy hunting ground for Nigerian football after the Flying Eagles won the Africa U-20 Cup of Nations there eight months ago.

He added: “We won the U-20 Cup of Nations in Senegal at the beginning of the year; now, we are back there for the Olympics ticket and the trophy. We will achieve both, because Samson Siasia has put together a crack squad and he has the support of the NFF all the way.”

The Nigeria U-23 squad will also play Egypt and Algeria in the group phase. Only the top three finishers will qualify to represent Africa at the men’s football tournament of next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, taking place 3rd -20th August, 2016.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/pinnick-u-23-eagles-pick-rio-olympics-ticket/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 9:55pm On Nov 28, 2015
Dunno why the U23 championship is scarce in the news

Anyway, South Africa lost to Senegal 3-1 in the opening game

Last I checked, Tunisia had 2 goals yo Zambia's 0....favorites winning for now.

I no know wetin SA and Zambia go dey find for Brazil as far as football goes
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:03pm On Nov 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia: I Picked Osimhen For U-23 Eagles On Merit
[/size]
By Taiwo Adesanya:
The head coach of the Nigeria U-23 national team, Samson Siasia, has said his selection of Victor Osihmen into his team is based on merit.

Siasia made this disclosure at the official press conference organized by CAF in Mbour, while addressing the sporting press.

“The young man (Victor) did not replace any body or made this team on emotions, he earned his place as he showed maturity in training, besides, don’t forget he scored ten goals in Chile, and you don’t score such amount of goals in such a competition in error, I brought him here to show the world that what he did in Chile is no fluke,” Siasia said.

On the chances of the U-23 Eagles picking one of the tickets to the Rio Olympics, Siasia said: “We were the last team to arrive in Senegal and by extension we will be the last team to leave Senegal, for me my target is to play five matches here in Senegal, and with the team I have on the ground here in Senegal, that target of mine is achievable.”

Siasia, who led Nigeria to the final of the 2008 Olympics men’s football even, admits that because Nigeria didn’t qualify for the last Olympic Games in London, he doesn’t have any excuse not to qualify for Rio.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/siasia-picked-osimhen-u-23-eagles-merit/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:06pm On Nov 28, 2015
**smiles**

You asked a question....... I gave an answer...... Is that deviation?? *smiles*

Just know that it pays to be "open-minded" even though what you say based on "the past" carries some validity.

It pays to expect positive change. I've been in a class where NOBODY FAILED TO GAIN PROMOTION TO THE NEXT LEVEL OF STUDIES. *smiles*

Knowledge of the past is good. It helps predicts certain actions. BUT knowledge is truly power when one knows what facts to ignore.

This is the era of "SOME" and not "Few". Some of these kids have one trait in common, going for them, which convinces me that the "MOST-WILL-NOT-MAKE-IT" theory will come crashing down soon enough. Of course NOT ALL WILL MAKE IT. Some have poor attitude and a "think small" mentality BUT SOME OTHERS ARE JUST DIFFERENT FROM THE REST. You see it on their faces, in their actions, in their words and more.

Players like Kelechi Iheanacho, Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success, Chidiebere Nwakali, Musa Mohammed, Kelechi Nwakali, Zaharadeen Bello, Victor Osimhen, Musa Yahaya, Samuel Chukwueze, Chidera Ezeh, Moses Simon, Godwin Savior, Wilfred Ndidi, just to mention a few (is 14 a few?? Hmmm.....) are players with the "ATTITUDE" I TALK ABOUT..... FOR TALENT ALONE IS NEVER ENOUGH.

They are all members of the combined "2013-2015" classes.

Your "MOST-WILL-NOT-MAKE-IT" theory may "will" fail soon. Not so soon but s-o-o-n. I'm "convinced" about that. Give the kids a break and watch them grow.

*smiles*

Icon4s:

My friend don't forget d root of this argument.Nobody is saying d FIFA U17 WC has nt produced players. Dnt deviate from d argument. From d current crop of players representing Brazil, Spain, Holland, Argentina and Germany tell me d % of players dat came through from d U17. The fact remains dat MOST players from U17 all over d world, Nigeria inclusive, dnt end up making a mark at senior level. If u chose to wish dat most or all of Manu's U17 boys will play at senior level u are free. But I am jst telling u dat only few of them "MAY" end up playing for Nigeria at senior level. MOST will nt make a mark at d senior level.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:18pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hahahahahaha.......... *smiles*

Sir, that's Success alright, Granada's Player of the month for October 2015 (recently awarded).

The NFF "obviously" didn't want the team to go to senegal a man short.

So probably they reached a compromise with Granada or maybe they just fixed it themselves by "producing" a medical report proving Success' "injury". Failure to do so would have meant no Success Isaac and no replacement either.

The rule for "players replacement" states thus:

"...........a player on the final list
cannot be replaced unless seriously injured
at the latest 24 hours at least before the
beginning of the first match of his team.

“The CAF medical committee must approve
his substitution in writing, after reception
and approval of a detailed medical
certificate.

“CAF medical committee shall write a
certificate attesting that the wound is
sufficiently serious to prevent the player
from participating at the U-23 AFCON and
submit this certificate to the organizing
committee for approval…”

**The changes were done in accordance with
Article 66.2 of regulations of the tournament**

If you ask me, I'll say the NFF played a "fast-one" on CAF. Hahahahahahaha......... #weirdstuffs

*smiles*

bigblangston:
I thought I read somewhere that isaac success was injured that was why Victor " the legend killer" was recalled and for victor to be recalled evidences or records were supposed to be given to CAF on the state or degree of injury to ascertain if isaac success will not recover before the end of the tournament so as to reinstate victor to the team... Probably I will have to take yeast and food rich in vitamin A, my eyes have started playing tricks on me with what I'm reading.... Isaac success is playing nw probably I'm seeing his twin brother.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:37am On Nov 29, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
**smiles**

You asked a question....... I gave an answer...... Is that deviation?? *smiles*

Just know that it pays to be "open-minded" even though what you say based on "the past" carries some validity.

It pays to expect positive change. I've been in a class where NOBODY FAILED TO GAIN PROMOTION TO THE NEXT LEVEL OF STUDIES. *smiles*

Knowledge of the past is good. It helps predicts certain actions. BUT knowledge is truly power when one knows what facts to ignore.

This is the era of "SOME" and not "Few". Some of these kids have one trait in common, going for them, which convinces me that the "MOST-WILL-NOT-MAKE-IT" theory will come crashing down soon enough. Of course NOT ALL WILL MAKE IT. Some have poor attitude and a "think small" mentality BUT SOME OTHERS ARE JUST DIFFERENT FROM THE REST. You see it on their faces, in their actions, in their words and more.

Players like Kelechi Iheanacho, Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success, Chidiebere Nwakali, Musa Mohammed, Kelechi Nwakali, Zaharadeen Bello, Victor Osimhen, Musa Yahaya, Samuel Chukwueze, Chidera Ezeh, Moses Simon, Godwin Savior, Wilfred Ndidi, just to mention a few (is 14 a few?? Hmmm.....) are players with the "ATTITUDE" I TALK ABOUT..... FOR TALENT ALONE IS NEVER ENOUGH.

They are all members of the combined "2013-2015" classes.

Your "MOST-WILL-NOT-MAKE-IT" theory may "will" fail soon. Not so soon but s-o-o-n. I'm "convinced" about that. Give the kids a break and watch them grow.

*smiles*

Pls dnt misunderstand my point of view. Next thing now u guys will say i have something against the kids jst like d Iheanacho case.I am being open minded here with regards to national team selections. One thing u must understand is many players hu never played any of U17 or even U20 will emerge and if they are better than d ones hu played at those cadet competitions dey will have the edge. And that has been d case world-wide. The problem is u think football development is like an Arithmethic progression. ie if i am better than u at age U17, I will b better dan u when we are age 25. It is nt like dat and soon u would find out. See, my wish is for Nigeria to discover more talents for d Super Eagles and let d coaches give these players a fair trial and d best b selected.
U dnt love these boys more than i do. D difference is u often overrate them a lot of which i was like that too in times past. Some very good players hu never played U17 or U20 will also emerge and my wish is let d best represent us at d senior level.

And pls quit adding 2013 & 2015 Eaglets together jst to add weight to ur argument. The argument is on how many players of 'EACH' successive (discrete) U17s make d senior team. And I am nt saying they dnt have a chance. They may do better dan the 1993 representation. But what I am warning u guys abt is that these progressions are nt automated and arithmetic. People cry lack of continuity in our national team progression; even when d players themselves dnt progress well in their game?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:44am On Nov 29, 2015
safarigirl:
Dunno why the U23 championship is scarce in the news

Anyway, South Africa lost to Senegal 3-1 in the opening game

Last I checked, Tunisia had 2 goals yo Zambia's 0....favorites winning for now.

I no know wetin SA and Zambia go dey find for Brazil as far as football goes

The games were live on Supersports yesterday. Tunisia never led Zambia 2-0 at any pt in d game or mayb u meant 2-1. Its was 1-0, 1-1, then 2-1.
I watched both games.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 7:36am On Nov 29, 2015
SENEGAL 2015: Junior Eagles dares Dream Team Hosts start on a winning note

BY JOE APU
[i]Mali Under-23 national team coach Cheick Oumar Koné is confi­dent his boys will rise to the occasion today when they file out against Nigeria’s Dream Team under the guidance of Coach Samson Siasia.

The match, which is the Group B opener, is important to both coaches as the result will help define what is to come in their last two games.

Coach Kone whose boys held hosts Senegal Under-23 national team to a 2-2 draw in Dakar last Tuesday believe the result is a sign of their preparedness to shock the Nigerian side in their bid for an Olympic ticket to Rio 2016.

While coach Kone who coached Mali to the football event in Athens 2004 is seeking a return to the Olympics, Coach Siasia is also in the same race having won silver in Beijing 2008 Olympics.

Kone, is of the view that Nigeria cannot thwart his ambition to make a return to the Olympics.

Koné decided to bring along several bronze medalists from the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup, includ­ing keeper Djigui Diarra, defenders Aboubacar Doumbia and Souley­mane Coulibaly, midfielders Diadié Samassékou and Souleymane Diarra and striker Souleymane Sissoko.

Siasia, buoyed by the release of his mother is leaving nothing to chance. He called up three profes­sionals in Taiwo Awoniyi, Junior Ajayi and midfielder midfielder Azubuike Okechukwu, who is based in Turkey but will be domineering in the attack line with the inclusion of FIFA U17 goal king Victor Osimhen who was a late replacement for Granada striker Isaac Success on Nigeria squad.

In the opening game of the champi­onship, Senegal’s Under 23 national team proved too strong, as they won 3-1 over South Africa.
e a left footed curler into the far post for his team’s third goal.

Source: www.sunnewsonline.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Dream-team.

But how did I get in here?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 7:46am On Nov 29, 2015
CAF U-23 AFCON: Nigeria in crunchy tie against Mali

By Ben Efe
Nigeriawill play their opening game of the CAF Under-23 Africa Cup of Nations, when they face Mali in the group B pairing at the Caroline Faye Stadium in M’bour, Senegal.

At stake, is the 2016 Olympic qualification ticket. Having missed the 2012 edition and also missing the chance to win the gold medal at the 2015 Africa Games in Congo, the team coached by Samson Siasia is under pressure to deliver. The match against Mali will be a true test of their intention of restoring their dignity.

Mali, were whiskers away from beating Nigeria at the Africa Games, but for a late minute goal that rescued a point for the Nigerian team in that encounter.

The Malians vowed to fight again at this tournament, even as Siasia groaned about his players inability to convert scoring chances.

But that was then, Siasia has reinforced his team with tested strikers in the mould of Junior Ajayi, Taiwo Awoniyi and FIFA Under-17 goal king Victor Osimhen fresh from his exploits in Chile 2015.

A ten day training stint in Gambia has given the Nigerian team some measure of preparedness and it remains to be seen how they off-laod in their first match of the tournament.

Mali’s strongest point is their resolute defending and their quick counter-attack. They will be coming out strong against the ‘Olympic Eagles’, but Siasia must have taken good notes and knows just what to do to keep the Malians in check.

One man that may give the Nigerians a cause for worry is Nantes’ Adama Niane who emerged as joint top scorer in the qualifiers with four goals. The forward can shoot from long range and can also trouble the defence.

Siasia varies his system depending on the opponent, but usually sets his team up in a 4-3-3 formation or a 4-4-2 which can become as attacking as a 4-2-4 as the game might be.

Nigeria Football Federation president, Amaju Pinnick backed the team to achieve its primary aim at the tournament.

“Siasia has brought new, exciting faces to the group and there is confidence all around again. The ticket to the Olympics is non-negotiable.”

“We won the U-20 Cup of Nations in Senegal at the beginning of the year; now, we are back there for the Olympics ticket and the trophy. We will achieve both, because Samson Siasia has put together a crack squad and he has the support of the NFF all the way.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/caf-u-23-afcon-nigeria-in-crunchy-tie-against-mali/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:50am On Nov 29, 2015
Did you or did you not say "MOST WILL NOT MAKE IT"?? *answer that*

You call that "OPEN MINDEDNESS"?? Haa!!!

Of course Soccer is no "arithmetics" SO STOP MISINTERPRETING MY POINT OF VIEW SIR.

I've always said in my posts, outside this talk, things like, "the future sees us preparing for the unearthing and maturation of the next golden generation comprising top talents from the 2013 U-17 to 2015 U-17/U-20s and.................. including top talents who never starred at U-17s/U-20s level plus from the local league".

The above statement in quotes is "always detailed" with all the variables that will contribute to Nigeria's next players pool of Super Quality Talents.
**the many "dots" after "and" show a continuation of other words before "including" pops up.

OR DON'T YOU TAKE TIME TO READ PEOPLE'S VIEWS ON THIS THREAD?? BEFORE THIS "ARGUMENT", I'VE ALWAYS MADE COMMENTS LIKE THE ABOVE.
YOU DON'T WANT TO BE MISUNDERSTOOD BUT YOU RUN "FOUL" ON THE SAME THING YOU ACCUSE OTHERS OF. #toobad

I'm simply "attacking" your "over-certain" assertion that "most will not make it". NOW TELL ME WHO IS BEING "ARITHMETIC" HERE. YOU THINK YOUR "THEORY" IS AN EVERLASTING CODE IN SOCCER and I'm saying it won't "be" for long... At least with respect to the Nigerian situation.

If I overrate THEN SIR YOU "UNDERRATE" especially with your "MOST WILL NOT MAKE IT" THEORY.

What you term "overrating" is "actually" NOT. It's called "Mirroring the true potentials of some of these kids and making them see that they can be better".

So sorry, I never did "overrating" like you did in your time. #fact

You keep citing global trend.... You keep saying it's a global thing LIKE WE DON'T KNOW??!!!!!!!!

You make this "global happening" the standard for all generations in your line of thinking BUT I REFUSE TO LET THAT TAKE ROOT.
I'M A SCIENTIST AND A MEDICAL SCHOLAR, AND I KNOW THAT THIS "THEORY" OF YOURS CAN BE SHATTERED TO PIECES IN THE NIGERIAN SITUATION.

I GAVE YOU AN EXAMPLE OF A "GLOBAL TREND" THAT BECAME OBSOLETE USING PEPTIC ULCER AS A CASE STUDY.

I ANSWERED YOUR "14TH EXPERIMENT" QUESTION. *smiles*

So please stop denying that you said, "....a FEW MAY make it to The Super Eagles....... but MOST WILL NOT make it @ international level......."

Check your words:
-Used "MAY" for "a few"

Interpretation: you are even giving "the few" just a small chance at success. Na wa o!!!

-Used "WILL NOT" for "MOST"

Interpretation: here, you were as certain as "Dawn coming after dusk" or as "you replying this post / failing to understand the post" or even as "Christmas coming up on the 25th of December".

I'M DONE. But do yourself a favor. Admit to your "subtle" pessimism and "sometimes" over-the-top conservatism. Thanks.

**smiles**

Icon4s:

Pls dnt misunderstand my point of view. Next thing now u guys will say i have something against the kids jst like d Iheanacho case.I am being open minded here with regards to national team selections. One thing u must understand is many players hu never played any of U17 or even U20 will emerge and if they are better than d ones hu played at those cadet competitions dey will have the edge. And that has been d case world-wide. The problem is u think football development is like an Arithmethic progression. ie if i am better than u at age U17, I will b better dan u when we are age 25. It is nt like dat and soon u would find out. See, my wish is for Nigeria to discover more talents for d Super Eagles and let d coaches give these players a fair trial and d best b selected.
U dnt love these boys more than i do. D difference is u often overrate them a lot of which i was like that too in times past. Some very good players hu never played U17 or U20 will also emerge and my wish is let d best represent us at d senior level.

And pls quit adding 2013 & 2015 Eaglets together jst to add weight to ur argument. The argument is on how many players of 'EACH' successive (discrete) U17s make d senior team. And I am nt saying they dnt have a chance. They may do better dan the 1993 representation. But what I am warning u guys abt is that these progressions are nt automated and arithmetic. People cry lack of continuity in our national team progression; even when d players themselves dnt progress well in their game?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 7:51am On Nov 29, 2015
AF Nigeria Premier League 2015/2016 Manchester United
Anderlecht to beat EPL clubs to Osimhen?

Anderlecht have joined the big chase for U17 World Cup hotshot Osimhen

Top Belgian club Anderlecht look poised to beat several top English Premier League clubs to U17 World Cup hotshot Victor Osimhen, it has been exclusively gathered.

Osimhen scored a record-breaking 10 goals at the recent FIFA U17 World Cup in Chile and has reportedly spared off interest from several top EPL clubs including Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.

But it has now been scooped that a France-based agent has secured an exclusive mandate from both Osimhen’s Lagos academy as well as Anderlecht to get the signature of the U17 shooting star.

Anderlecht are willing to break the bank for the latest Nigerian scoring sensation after the missed out on another exciting youngster Taiwo Awoniyi.

Awoniyi, 18, has signed for EPl side Liverpool but he is currently on loan at Bundesliga 2 side FSV Frankfurt.

He and Osimhen are both in Senegal for the U23 AFCON, which doubles as a qualifier for next year's Rio Olympics.

africanfootball.com/news/589322/Anderlecht-to-beat-EPL-clubs-to-Osimhen

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:52am On Nov 29, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

[b]First of all, you are making comments I did not say to buttress your point. I never said we should use U17 to play in the Super Eagles. We were talking of the Garba boys being able to cope with the competition. Last year, they did better than the top pro teams in Nigeria in the Super Six. They drew with the Olympic National team 3-3. I watched the game and I was impressed with both teams.

You are making it look like they do not stand a chance but it is not true. Just like Coach Siasia's call for Osimhen. If you are good enough, you are old enough. We saw it with Scholes, Pirlo, Maradona, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo De Lima, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Kaka, Canavaro, Totti, and many more.

Fani Amun finished third in the CAF AYC. I wonder how that is fumbling and Wumbling. There were only two slots and he missed it in the Semi Finals.

I said, the development of coaches will promote continuity. Coach Amun was a brilliant man, I watched a game of his where he coached 3SC for three days I think to play Raja. The game ended 3-2 in favor of Raja despite them camping for a while in Spain and 3SC were on strike because of Bonuses, Allowances and Sign on fee.

After the U17 World Cup Fani Amun won, what steps did the NFA take to build him as a coach in preparation for the U20 World Youth championship challenge?

That is why most teams fail due to lack of continuity. If not, we would continue recording low percentage of U17 winning players becoming stars.

I applaud the NFF for sticking with the coaches but I hope they build our coaches by sending them to seminars and camps overseas with some top coaches. Just like Zidane did with Guardiola.

Also old brains like Coach Monday Sinclair, Coach Westerhof should be invited in camp to help share their knowledge with these young coaches.
[/b]

Hmmm u dnt know Fani Amun was nicknamed the "Fumbling and Wumbling" coach?

Ok it happened in 1995 so u are pardoned. It was CAF U20 tournament -Nigeria '95. Nigeria was also to host d WYC later in d year. Fani Amun was d Flying Eagles coach.

The AYC was hosted in Onikan Stadium Lagos and Kano Pillars stadium, Kano.

Nigeria fought in d opening game from 3-1 to draw 3-3 against Mali. We also struggled in our second game bt managed to scale thru to d semis. Ahead of d Semi final game against Cameroun Amun was interview abt d nt so impressive performance of his boys as the press put it to him dat his team was fumbling and wumbling. Fani Amun simply put it that "we have fumbled and jumbled out of group stage and so we willfumble and wumble into d final and fumble and wumble and win the Cup". To cut long strory short Cameroun beat Nigeria 1-0 at Ahmadu Bello stadium, Kaduna, where d semis were shifted to jst to tesy d readinesd of d stadium to host d WYC.

That there became his nickname- "The fumbling and Wumbling coach".

And, a pt of correction Nigeria still boomef d ticket even with 3rd place. However, Nigeria was denied d hosting rights as ot given to Qatar due to cholera outbreak in Enugu (a plot orchestrated by d NADECO movement hu were fighting d then Abacha govt - as an aftermath of anulment of june 12, 1993 elections)

The Abacha govt in return pulled Nigeria out of the WYC in protest of d withdrawal of hosting rights after spending do much money.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 8:04am On Nov 29, 2015
Siasia’s Spine - Five key Nigeria players at the Caf U23 Championship

FEATURE By Babajide Alaka
Coach Samson Siasia does not have all the players he wished for the Caf U23 Championship starting in Senegal this weekend. But of the 21 that were named last Wednesday, he must fashion a spine that will withstand the test of opponents.

The Caf U23 Championship is one diadem that Nigeria has never won, in a category in which the country has won gold and silver at the Olympic Games. Not many in the 21-man team are well known but they have showed through the qualifiers that they can become household names.

Goal looks at five players who will be key to helping Siasia achieve his primary target – a ticket to Rio de Janeiro.

EMMANUEL DANIEL

One goalkeeper that has really caught the eye on the local scene, watchers of the league have been talking glowingly of him since 2013 and now he is on the big stage.

Cool and calm even under pressure, the Enugu Rangers man has the entire repertoire to become one of the best Nigerian goalkeepers. But first, he must ensure that he guards the U23 team to Rio.

SEGUN ODUDUWA

Relatively unknown but a rock-solid performer, the Nath Boys central defender has it all in his locker to become the next ‘Gentle Giant’ a la Uche Okechukwu if he continues to progress under Siasia.

He also has the ability to play the ball out of defense even under pressure. Siasia will be hoping that the occasion does not get to the burly defender when they start off against Mali on Sunday.

AZUBUIKE OKECHUKWU

Okechukwu has been in Turkey for the last three months and should have improved on his conditioning and concentration – two characteristics that may have restricted him from performing to his best. He now has to prove, as captain, that he can lead his team all the way.

OGHENEKARO ETEBO

Etebo is the most skilful player in the setup, one who is expected to make the move to the Super Eagles in the not too distant future. A lot will depend on the Warri Wolves midfielder to knit this team together.

If he plays to 70% of his capacity, the opponents will be caught breathless. Dogged by a persistent knee complaint, Siasia must find a way to get the utmost out of him.

TAIWO AWONIYI

Awoniyi has huge shoes to fill as he has been described as the next Rashidi Yekini. The Liverpool protégé was called upon by Siasia in the qualifiers against Zambia, and he literally scored the goals that qualified the team for Senegal. He has since represented Nigeria at the U20 World Cup whilst getting a contract with Liverpool.

On loan at FSV Frankfurt, he will be expected to show a new dimension to his attacking prowess in Senegal.

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4079/features/2015/11/28/17800942/siasias-spine-five-key-nigeria-players-at-the-caf-u23

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 8:28am On Nov 29, 2015
Paul Onuachu Gives Thanks To His Mentor Churchill Oliseh

FC Midtjylland striker Paul Onuachu has thanked Barrister Churchill Oliseh for finding time in his busy schedule to visit him in Jutland, Denmark.

The lanky forward was on the books of the famous nursery team owned by Oliseh prior to his move to Denmark in 2012.

And since his arrival at the MCH Arena, he has blossomed into one of the top youngsters plying his trade in the Danish Superliga and has earned caps for Nigeria’s Olympic National Team, thanks to the opportunity given to him by his mentor, Churchill Oliseh.

“Good to have you around sir. Without you we will not be here, may God continue to bless you and your family. More success ahead, ” Onuachu posted on social media.

The 21 - year - old posted a picture of Oliseh, himself and recuperating winger Rilwan Hassan on social media.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17083

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:23am On Nov 29, 2015
Icon4s:

Hmmm u dnt know Fani Amun was nicknamed the "Fumbling and Wumbling" coach?

Ok it happened in 1995 so u are pardoned. It was CAF U20 tournament -Nigeria '95. Nigeria was also to host d WYC later in d year. Fani Amun was d Flying Eagles coach.

The AYC was hosted in Onikan Stadium Lagos and Kano Pillars stadium, Kano.

Nigeria fought in d opening game from 3-1 to draw 3-3 against Mali. We also struggled in our second game bt managed to scale thru to d semis. Ahead of d Semi final game against Cameroun Amun was interview abt d nt so impressive performance of his boys as the press put it to him dat his team was fumbling and wumbling. Fani Amun simply put it that "we have fumbled and jumbled out of group stage and so we willfumble and wumble into d final and fumble and wumble and win the Cup". To cut long strory short Cameroun beat Nigeria 1-0 at Ahmadu Bello stadium, Kaduna, where d semis were shifted to jst to tesy d readinesd of d stadium to host d WYC.

That there became his nickname- "The fumbling and Wumbling coach".

And, a pt of correction Nigeria still boomef d ticket even with 3rd place. However, Nigeria was denied d hosting rights as ot given to Qatar due to cholera outbreak in Enugu (a plot orchestrated by d NADECO movement hu were fighting d then Abacha govt - as an aftermath of anulment of june 12, 1993 elections)

The Abacha govt in return pulled Nigeria out of the WYC in protest of d withdrawal of hosting rights after spending do much money.

As I said, One tournament failure (Third Place) is not enough to drop Coach Fani Amun. He did well at the U17 and when I watched him coach 3SC and made them play amazing in just three days with them, anyone will see the man was brilliant.

To promote continuity, we need to develop our coaches and invest in them.

That 3SC team had Baldwin Bazuaye, The son of Coach Willy Bazuaye in Atalanta 1996.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 1:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

As I said, One tournament failure (Third Place) is not enough to drop Coach Fani Amun. He did well at the U17 and when I watched him coach 3SC and made them play amazing in just three days with them, anyone will see the man was brilliant.

To promote continuity, we need to develop our coaches and invest in them.

That 3SC team had Baldwin Bazuaye, The son of Coach Willy Bazuaye in Atalanta 1996.

When the likes of Clemence Westerhoof, Jo Bofere and Christian Chukwu were in d national team set up?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 1:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
[b]
CAF U-23 AFCON: Awoniyi Prefers Rio 2016 Ticket To Goal Haul

By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Nigeria's U-23 Eagles striker Taiwo Awoniyi is desirous of scoring goals at the CAF U-23 Cup of Nations that will help Nigeria qualify for the men's football event of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, but insists the team's qualification is uppermost, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports Speaking with Completesportsnigeria.com from Senegal, Awoniyi admits that as a striker he wants to score goals but adds that victory in Senegal irrespective of whose goals helped in achieving that is all that matters.

"As a striker, I want to score goals. I hope to do so in this tournament. And I want to say amen to all the prayers of those who wish me well.

"But what matters most is that we qualify for the Olympics. That's what counts most, than personal glory.

"Preparation for our first game against Mali was fine. By the grace of God, we shall win," Awoniyi who plays for FSV Frankfurt in the Bundesliga 2 (lower division in Germany) but on loan from English Premier League side Liverpool told Completesportsnigeria.com.

Nigeria hope to get a good start in their game against Mali this evening. Mali are making their first appearance at the U-23 Cup of Nations
[/b]
www.completesportsnigeria.com/caf-u-23-afcon-awoniyi-prefers-rio-2016-ticket-goal-haul/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Did you or did you not say "MOST WILL NOT MAKE IT"?? *answer that*

You call that "OPEN MINDEDNESS"?? Haa!!!

Of course Soccer is no "arithmetics" SO STOP MISINTERPRETING MY POINT OF VIEW SIR.

I've always said in my posts, outside this talk, things like, "the future sees us preparing for the unearthing and maturation of the next golden generation comprising top talents from the 2013 U-17 to 2015 U-17/U-20s and.................. including top talents who never starred at U-17s/U-20s level plus from the local league".

The above statement in quotes is "always detailed" with all the variables that will contribute to Nigeria's next players pool of Super Quality Talents.
**the many "dots" after "and" show a continuation of other words before "including" pops up.

OR DON'T YOU TAKE TIME TO READ PEOPLE'S VIEWS ON THIS THREAD?? BEFORE THIS "ARGUMENT", I'VE ALWAYS MADE COMMENTS LIKE THE ABOVE.
YOU DON'T WANT TO BE MISUNDERSTOOD BUT YOU RUN "FOUL" ON THE SAME THING YOU ACCUSE OTHERS OF. #toobad

I'm simply "attacking" your "over-certain" assertion that "most will not make it". NOW TELL ME WHO IS BEING "ARITHMETIC" HERE. YOU THINK YOUR "THEORY" IS AN EVERLASTING CODE IN SOCCER and I'm saying it won't "be" for long... At least with respect to the Nigerian situation.

If I overrate THEN SIR YOU "UNDERRATE" especially with your "MOST WILL NOT MAKE IT" THEORY.

What you term "overrating" is "actually" NOT. It's called "Mirroring the true potentials of some of these kids and making them see that they can be better".

So sorry, I never did "overrating" like you did in your time. #fact

You keep citing global trend.... You keep saying it's a global thing LIKE WE DON'T KNOW??!!!!!!!!

You make this "global happening" the standard for all generations in your line of thinking BUT I REFUSE TO LET THAT TAKE ROOT.
I'M A SCIENTIST AND A MEDICAL SCHOLAR, AND I KNOW THAT THIS "THEORY" OF YOURS CAN BE SHATTERED TO PIECES IN THE NIGERIAN SITUATION.

I GAVE YOU AN EXAMPLE OF A "GLOBAL TREND" THAT BECAME OBSOLETE USING PEPTIC ULCER AS A CASE STUDY.

I ANSWERED YOUR "14TH EXPERIMENT" QUESTION. *smiles*

So please stop denying that you said, "....a FEW MAY make it to The Super Eagles....... but MOST WILL NOT make it @ international level......."

Check your words:
-Used "MAY" for "a few"

Interpretation: you are even giving "the few" just a small chance at success. Na wa o!!!

-Used "WILL NOT" for "MOST"

Interpretation: here, you were as certain as "Dawn coming after dusk" or as "you replying this post / failing to understand the post" or even as "Christmas coming up on the 25th of December".

I'M DONE. But do yourself a favor. Admit to your "subtle" pessimism and "sometimes" over-the-top conservatism. Thanks.

**smiles**

We can argue this till next yr bt lets jst drop it here. Our philosophies and ideologies can never b congruent.

Preparing my mind for d Olympic qualifiers tonight.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 1:54pm On Nov 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
CAF U-23 AFCON: Mohammed Upbeat About Winning Start Vs Mali
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:
U-23 Eagles midfielder, Usman Mohammed says the side are looking to start their campaign at the Africa U-23 Nations Cup on a positive note by winning tday's Group B match against Mali, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Samson Siasia's charges will take on their highly rated opponent at Stade Caroline Faye, with Egypt and Algeria clashing in the other Group B game.

The top two side's in the group are guaranteed a place in the last four of the competition which serves as the qualifier for the Rio 2016 Olympics.

FC Taraba playmaker, Mohammed, who is expected to play a key role for the Eagles in the competition, is keen to help his side kick-off their campaign on a winning note.

"We can't afford to lose against Mali. It's always important to win the first game in every competition," Usman told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"We don't want to make things difficult for ourselves by getting into a situation fighting to comeback from a defeat.

"A win in the game will boost our morale and prepare us for the task ahead."
[/b]
www.completesportsnigeria.com/caf-u-23-afcon-mohammed-upbeat-winning-start-mali/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:23pm On Nov 29, 2015
Icon4s:

When the likes of Clemence Westerhoof, Jo Bofere and Christian Chukwu were in d national team set up?

That should not stop the National Football Association from Developing him, Sending him on courses and Seminars. After that, he could have a career coaching a National team in Africa until he is ready for the Super Eagles. He could have had another spell in raising an U17 team and grooming them until the Olympics level.

We should not dump brilliant coaches at the slightest sight of failure. It ends up making our young players fail.

What did the NFA do to support a bright coaching talent like Coach Musa Abdulahi? Our NFF needs to do more for them.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:41pm On Nov 29, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

That should not stop the National Football Association from Developing him, Sending him on courses and Seminars. After that, he could have a career coaching a National team in Africa until he is ready for the Super Eagles. He could have had another spell in raising an U17 team and grooming them until the Olympics level.

We should not dump brilliant coaches at the slightest sight of failure. It ends up making our young players fail.

What did the NFA do to support a bright coaching talent like Coach Musa Abdulahi? Our NFF needs to do more for them.

People always say we dump our coaches to early, i would slightly agree but the thing is our coaches are given their opportunity too early. We need well seasoned coaches with years of experience. If it were up to me the only Nigerian coaches I would hire are our league coaches, then we would know exactly what we are getting because we have watched this coach in action for a while.
I have never been in agreement with the whole "coaching license" idea. Coaches should not be in classrooms they should be by the pitch learning from more established coaches. No school can teach how to coach like Pep or Jose but if u were present chances are some of their attribute would rub off.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Like as if Fani Amun was d only coach at dat time dat needed training.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

People always say we dump our coaches to early, i would slightly agree but the thing is our coaches are given their opportunity too early. We need well seasoned coaches with years of experience. If it were up to me the only Nigerian coaches I would hire are our league coaches, then we would know exactly what we are getting because we have watched this coach in action for a while.
I have never been in agreement with the whole "coaching license" idea. Coaches should not be in classrooms they should be by the pitch learning from more established coaches. No school can teach how to coach like Pep or Jose but if u were present chances are some of their attribute would rub off.

I understand your point but our coaches can not grow because they are far from the sources of the knowledge. When you look at the likes of Guardiola and Mourinho who worked under Van Gaal, the influence of Van Gaal will rub on them. Look at Mourinho and Villas-Boas who worked with Coach Bobby Robson. His influence is there for all to see.

Last season, Guardiola accepted upcoming coaches like Sagnol, Zidane and a host of others to camp with him during the preseason and watch his coaching sessions.

Coach Manu Garba, Coach Siasia would benefit from things like this. Our NFF President Pinnick, has rapport with Arsenal, he can negotiate with Arsene Wenger to expose our young coaches.

Even our coaches in the local league need exposure too. Our NFF have to make steps if they want Nigeria to go.

If Coach Garba is given such exposure and he grows from the U20 to the Olympics, with time, he will be experienced enough to coach the National team.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:59pm On Nov 29, 2015
Icon4s:

Like as if Fani Amun was d only coach at dat time dat needed training.

Did I say he was the only coach that needed training? I said, he was a bright talent. If I say Osimhen is a bright talent and he needs exposure to grow, am I saying he is the only one that needs experience to grow.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 29, 2015
The Lads will wear this below Jersey tonight!
The New Nike Home Jersey for the National Team!

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:19pm On Nov 29, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Did I say he was the only coach that needed training? I said, he was a bright talent. If I say Osimhen is a bright talent and he needs exposure to grow, am I saying he is the only one that needs experience to grow.

These are two different comparisons. Ur recommendation spans from ur view that d NFA ought to have made Fani Amun the Super Eagles coach so he could have graduated his boys along with him right?

U went further to recommend in retrospect dat he was supposed to have been trained by d NFA. Does dat nt paint a picture dat u are singling out Fani Amun?

U dnt even know this Fani Amun that are talking abt. U probably heard or read abt him.Or even 5-10 mins video highlights. u dnt even know him as d Fumbling and wumbling coach. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2015
Please what's the time for the Match? And is it gonna be aired by AIT or NTA?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:27pm On Nov 29, 2015
[quote author=adeyemi2015 post=40519377][/quote]

7pm Nig time. Supersport 9 & select. Dnt know abt NTA & AIT.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:50pm On Nov 29, 2015
Icon4s:

These are two different comparisons. Ur recommendation spans from ur view that d NFA ought to have made Fani Amun the Super Eagles coach so he could have graduated his boys along with him right?

U went further to recommend in retrospect dat he was supposed to have been trained by d NFA. Does dat nt paint a picture dat u are singling out Fani Amun?

I am not singling out Fani Amun? I am talking in respect to your statistics of U17 teams not progressing. It is due to The FA's not supporting their upcoming coaches.

Just like a case of the NFA prefering Philippe Trousierre to Coach Monday Sinclair. When We sacked Coach Trousierre, Coach Monday Sinclair took over, had the team playing well and qualified us for the World Cup.

After the qualification, the NFA sacked him.

It is not just a Fani Amun Issue. I have no doubt if the FA supported our coaches,we would produce better coaches and in turn produce better players for the Super Eagles.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
Icon4s:

U dnt even know this Fani Amun that are talking abt. U probably heard or read abt him.Or even 5-10 mins video highlights. u dnt even know him as d Fumbling and wumbling coach. grin

[b]Why make up things I o not know? I watch Japan 93. Although I was too young to follow actively, I watched the game against Argentina. I watched Kanu score and when he ran towards Fani Amun screaming, i told you.

I watched Pele come to watch the two African finalists at Japan '93 finals. So do not tell me I only read of Fani Amun. How many blogs write about him?

3SC players went on strike mostly because of Unpaid sign on fees. We had a big game against Raja. After the settlement of their fees, three days to the camp, the FA called Fani Amun to handle the team.

In those few days, he turned that team into a menace. One of the strikers, scored a bicycle kick from outside the 18yard box. We led 2-1 before Raja Scored two late goals.

NTA televised some of the preparatory sessions of Fani Amun for that 3SC team. Does that sound like someone who just read of Fani Amun.

Are you saying Fani Amun is not a brilliant coach? Or, What is your point? The FA should not make efforts to train our local coaches. Or, the FA should not have trained someone like Fani Amun?

What is your point?[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 29, 2015
Egypt vs Algeria now, looks more interesting than the South Africa match so far

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.