Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,666 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (697766 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:04am On Dec 01, 2015
Icon4s:
Firstly, let me start by saying I am sorry if the discussion I had with TheGoodJoe sounded provocating to any1 here. Funny that the person I was actually referring to is not the person that is throwing insults all abt. I mistakenly quoted words of TheSuperNerd as words of TheGoodJoe and that was it. Insults ensued.

Those of us that have been following discussions on this thread know how hot arguments can get at times even at that we have always managed not to throw insults. I have personally been verbally attacked and ridiculed on several occasions but what did I do? I shook it off and still stayed in the argument/discussion. Over time, I have come to understand the personalities of peeps here and know how to relate with them. For eg the way I relate with Bascovanveli is different from how I relate with terzurum5, Joseph1013, safarigirl or any other person cos we have our differences. TheGoodJoe is one of the persons I engage most on arguments/discussions on this forum bc he seems quite knowledgeable abt the game and shows a high level of maturity and also I know how discussions can go at times and yet no insults.

Look, it is not an issue of age, elder or no elder. If it is based on age or status I will not even be on this kind of forum discussing with peeps that are young enough to be my children. I see this as a faceless forum where no one knows hu is who or who is older but still we deserve respect from each other. I am not a journalist nor an NFF official as some of u think here. I only love analyzing the game and have only co-presented live radio shows on Rhythm 93 FM particularly during the 2014 WC.
I am an Oil and Gas expert, a Geologist. I only played football at an early age and I played with some that later played for the national teams. I had to drop bc I needed to face my studies. Apart from the sports section I also frequent Jobs and Career sections where I find pleasure in counseling young people especially those that are aspiring to join the Oil and Gas industry. I relate with youths a lot even in my Church which is majorly y I dnt see it a big deal frequenting here. But one thing is I HATE INSULTS.

I dnt want it to be that it was Icon4s that triggered the atmosphere that truncated the peaceful and cordial ways we relate with each other here.

I am not the kind of person that finds it difficult saying " I am sorry". If forumites here have found that comment I made abt TheGoodJoe provocating once again I say I am sorry. But if any1 choses to continue throwing insults at me then u may have jst seen the last days of icon4s here.

There is no need leaving. As I said before, you must have experience in how tempers flare up in football debates. At the end we all want the same thing. The Super Eagles Flying higher.

If there is one person I can attest that shows respect to people on this thread, it is TheSuperNerd. That is why I called him out on the mistake he made.

Icon4s, there is no need leaving. I have seen you take some written jabs in good faith and continue here. So I think you can let this go and continue sharing your insights.

This is one of the few threads we treat ourselves with respect. I believe the more you stick around, the more we get to understand each other.

I beg, do not leave.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:08am On Dec 01, 2015
On behalf of TheSuperNerd, I apologize to Icon4s again. Let us put this behind us and think of our expectations for our game against Egypt.

Cocks my .22 Calibre hand gun and adds a suppressor. Points it at TheSuperNerd, do not take it back.

Let us go back to the main discussions of the thread. Our boys are out there fighting for our dream, Our Unity and their future. We need to stick together for them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:14am On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
'Osimhen is ready for anything' - The best tweets from #GoalNGChat
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/9/3e/nigeria-u17-v-mexico-u17_15tn3ojxtrpgl1cth9x4v8fmml.jpg?t=-602149416&w=620&h=430[/img]
Victor Osimhen - Nigeria U17

Goal Nigeria's huge following took to Twitter to give their views on the inclusion of the U17 World Cup hitman, who is now a part of the team to the CAF U23 Championship.

GOALROUND UP By Solace Chukwu

The latest installment of the #GoalNGChat was as charged as ever, with Nigerian Twitterverse weighing in on the subject of prodigy Victor Osimhen.

His inclusion in Samson Siasia's squad for the CAF U23 Championship in Gambia, which kicks off this weekend, saw us explore the possibility that it is perhaps too much, too soon for the 16-year-old. Interestingly, much of the reaction to his inclusion was overwhelmingly positive.

World Desie Parker!! ‎@Dexwhytecast

#GoalNGChat Osimhen showed at the cadet championship he's a big talent and if Siasia team creates enough chances for him, he will excel.

Follow

sir mon ‎@ebi_Monday

#goalNGchat if you score ten goals @fifa u17 tournament then u should be ready to play at any level, not too soon

Follow

IamFolatobi93 ‎@Folabey93

@GoalcomNigeria Talent are meant to showcase,no matter wat age are u. I think Osimhen can proof his mettle.#GoalNGChat

Follow

Ayodele Olajide ‎@AyodeleOlajide

#GoalNGChat He caught the attention of the whole world, I think he's been touched with magic wand! we need not run him down based on age.

Follow

Nwosu uchenna 4 ‎@4Uchenna

@GoalcomNigeria #GoalNGchat he will surely be hitting the ground running @ the u23 tournament in Senegal. OSIMHEN 4 Nigeria

Follow

Akanbi Kabir ‎@kaybeebod

@GoalcomNigeria #GoalNGchat Etoo of Cameroon won it at the age of 19 .He should grab the opportunity to enhance his market value.

Follow

Akanbi Kabir ‎@kaybeebod

@GoalcomNigeria #GoalNGchat Etoo of Cameroon won it at the age of 19 .He should grab the opportunity to enhance his market value.

Follow

Akanbi Kabir ‎@kaybeebod

Follow

SGT DOGARAH ‎@GeorgeDogaraDan

We cnt sacrifice competence at the alter of age! Football is all about t ability, if he is able to deliver the goals I dnt mind. #GoalNGChat

Follow

kbwayne ‎@kbwayne1

the boy is talented why not give him a chance??... Norway did da with odegaard #GoalNGChat

Follow

Olakunle FAYIGA ‎@k_ef4real

Well his performances at the U-17 WC were sensational so I think it's logical siasia picks him ahead of the bunch. #GoalNGChat

Follow

Olakunle FAYIGA ‎@k_ef4real

Well his performances at the U-17 WC were sensational so I think it's logical siasia picks him ahead of the bunch. #GoalNGChat

Follow

shyngle chizi ‎@campeones287

osimen can never know how much he has grown if he keeps playing amongst his age level. that's how neymar developed to what he is #GoalNGChat

Follow

shyngle chizi ‎@campeones287

osimen can never know how much he has grown if he keeps playing amongst his age level. that's how neymar developed to what he is #GoalNGChat

Follow

Edet Victor ‎@veego_101

@GoalcomNigeria he has what it takes to be the deadliest striker we've ever had, pele was 16/17 wen he started playin for brazil #goalngchat

Follow

Edet Victor ‎@veego_101

@GoalcomNigeria he has what it takes to be the deadliest striker we've ever had, pele was 16/17 wen he started playin for brazil #goalngchat

Follow

Goal.com Nigeria ‎@GoalcomNigeria

Osimhen: The New Pele. Has a nice ring to it. #GoalNGChat https://twitter.com/kaybeebod/status/669969695580266496

Follow

Osimhen: The New Pele. Has a nice ring to it. #GoalNGChat https://twitter.com/kaybeebod/status/669969695580266496

There was also a smattering of good-natured banter.

Follow

Abdulrahman lateef ‎@i_am_abdurahman

#GoalNGChat to me osihmen is ready for anything, in fact I recommend deigo Costa starts taking striking lessons from him

Follow

Abdulrahman lateef ‎@i_am_abdurahman

#GoalNGChat to me osihmen is ready for anything, in fact I recommend deigo Costa starts taking striking lessons from him

Follow

Sunday A David™ ‎@Iam_Amoto

Victor Osimhen is a great striker but i dnt think we should rush him just lyk that, bt he can be Given opportunity #GoalNGChat

Follow

IG:Freakincutyful ‎@freaky_henry

That's how Opabunmi was rushed into da senior world cup team buh his career collapsed ASAP! Don't rush Victor Osimhen plz. #GoalNGChat"

Follow

Sunday A David™ ‎@Iam_Amoto

@GoalcomNigeria Victor Osimhen should not be rushed or else if he backfire we all will blame d coach #GoalNGChat

Follow

Bolanle Boyejo JP. ‎@Dr2beee

Osimhen should have been left to graduate to U21s. Let's see how it goes #GoalNGChat: Is Osimhen ready for the U23s? http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4055/main/2015/11/26/17719452/goalngchat-is-osimhen-ready-for-the-u23s

...and were somewhat overlooked in the euphoria of the moment.

Follow

Surprised no one is considering the strain of two major tournaments in two months on a 16-year-old. #GoalNGChat

Some subscribed to his inclusion simply for the sake of the experience he would gain from the tournament.

Follow

O'BABAJIDE OLUWALANA ‎@jide_lana

I do watch some tournament that some set of players won't play from first match to last. Let Osimhen join those category #GoalNGChat

Follow

OnyeNdiolumbe ‎@CalvinEmeka

I only hope that he's been picked by coach and not coerced by the Federation to do this. The experience will do him good #GoalNGChat

Follow

Johnpaul Nnamdi ‎@jpnnamdi

@GoalcomNigeria For sure he won't play a major role in that squad. We know that. No big responsibility for him. #GoalNGChat

Follow

Atoyebi Oluwafemi ‎@oluwafemi237

@goalcomnigeria I don't think it is too soon, it wil bring exposure to him&am sure siasia won't use him as top 9. so gud for him #GoalNGChat

Follow

The Lyricist™ ‎@Jaunty_sene

He can play! But what he once felt as a slight shoulder nudge at the U17s will actually be a hard push! Strength and age blends #GoalNGChat

Follow

The Lyricist™ ‎@Jaunty_sene

He can play! But what he once felt as a slight shoulder nudge at the U17s will actually be a hard push! Strength and age blends #GoalNGChat

Follow

Between 16 and 19 is three solid years of physical and mental development. Cannot buy from the store. #GoalNGChat https://twitter.com/k_ef4real/status/669960652006539266

Follow

Udochukwu E, Ọnụọha ‎@Udo_Casciavit

@urch23 the difference between a 17yr old & a 19yr old player is obvious. At that level, even a year counts @GoalcomNigeria #GoalNGChat

...and whether he can handle the pressure at such a high level.

Follow

whalexino ‎@whalexino

taking osimhenn to the championship isn't my problem but we Nigerians coz if he didn't do well,we forgot quickly he's young #GoalNGChat

The next edition of #GoalNGChat comes up on Thursday, December 3.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4082/editorial/2015/11/28/17793592/osimhen-is-ready-for-anything-the-best-tweets-from?ICID=HP_FT_1
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by bigblangston: 11:17am On Dec 01, 2015
Icon4s has always being a great guy sorry MAN *winks*...... Don't leave this thread. Love your analysis. Mr CONSERVATIVE jst lik manu garba's approach in the WYC.... Goodjoe,bascovanveli and d new guy blackalbino(very funny moniker) keep up d good work.....

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:19am On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onigbinde backs Siasia's team to earn Olympics ticket

[/size]

By Taiwo Taiwo

The erstwhile Super Eagles coach has backed the Dream Team VI to grab a ticket for next year’s Olympics games Football event at the U23 Afcon in Senegal

Adegboye Onigbinde, the coach who led the Super Eagles to the Fifa World Cup in 2002, has tipped Dream Team VI for success at the ongoing U23 Africa Cup of Nations.

Nigeria opened their campaign with a 3-2 win over Mali on Sunday. Their shaky defense left them with an edgy finish after the Malians almost made a comeback into the encounter.

Onigbinde who was at the just concluded CAF B Coaching course in Abuja said that Samson Siasia’s side can pick a place at Rio 2016.

“I have not changed my nationality. I am a Nigerian and a patriotic one indeed so I want the best for my country. I can never wish my country bad. So I pray for the Dream Team VI to pick one of the tickets for the Olympics.” Onigbinde told SportingLife.

The CAF and FIFA instructor hopes Siasia’s boys can get through to the next phase by the coach’s tactics and team's hardwork.

“I know nothing good comes by magic but this depends on what the handler puts into the team."
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/11252/nigeria-u23/2015/11/30/17868262/onigbinde-backs-siasias-team-to-earn-olympics-ticket
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:21am On Dec 01, 2015
bigblangston:
Icon4s has always being a great guy sorry MAN *winks*...... Don't leave this thread. Love your analysis. Mr CONSERVATIVE jst lik manu garba's approach in the WYC.... Goodjoe,bascovanveli and d new guy blackalbino(very funny moniker) keep up d good work.....

Yea we are here learning from you all.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:31am On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia's rollercoaster captures the essence of Nigerian football
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/a5/bc/samson-siasia_1txkylgare5fi1i4w8hzohrth4.jpg?t=-1358580696&w=620&h=430[/img]
Siasia's teams are easy on the eye, but often suffer from a lack of defensive structure

The U23 side almost contrived to throw away a three-goal lead, and the lack of pragmatism is perfectly apposite to the nature of the nation's footballing soul

By Solace Chukwu

Watching Samson Siasia’s teams play football is at once engrossing and tiring. The sense of predictability though, rather than lead to disinterest, only serves to whet the appetite for what follows: high-octane football, long on entertainment but perhaps short on sustainability.

Mali U23 2-3 Nigeria U23: Ajayi's double cages Les Aiglons

It is no wonder that he made a point of bemoaning his attackers’ efficiency in front of goal. Rather than a pre-emptive act of self-exoneration, it is simply an acknowledgement of how his sides play the game: they necessarily seek to outscore the opposition rather than limit them. Without the goals, Siasia would have no justification to pursue his free-wheeling philosophy.

It served as something of a battle cry, as the Nigeria U23 side raced to a three-goal lead at half time, CS Sfaxien striker Junior Ajayi’s brace sandwiching Usman Mohammed’s hooked finish from Sincere Seth’s cut-back. It is not often one can accuse a team with such a healthy half-time lead of not being dominant, but it was the Malians who foreshadowed things to come by rattling the crossbar inside the very first minute.

By the time Ajayi broke the deadlock, there was a distinct ‘against the run of play’ feel to it, with Nigeria struggling to match the physical approach of the Mali side early on. It did not help that, in Okechukwu Azubuike and Usman Mohammed, Siasia has deployed a rather gung-ho central midfield, with the latter often moving forward into the attacking midfield band to press. While neither is lazy, there is still a lot of room for a proper understanding to be forged regarding who stays and who goes.

It is a weakness of the 4-4-2 in modern football that transitioning from attack to defence can be problematic unless the central midfield is essentially defensive. Of course, with the ‘wingers’ deployed, Taiwo Awoniyi and Stanley Dimgba, taking up high positions, the Dream Team yo-yoed artlessly between attacking and defending, having to sprint back in a frenzy whenever moves broke down, and then bound forward again in another wave.

As a machine, hardly energy-efficient.

In terms of strategy, it is thoroughly untenable, so in that regard it is a relief they had a three-goal lead to stand on in a second period characterized by leaden-footed defending. As the fitness ebbed away, so did the discipline: Siasia’s men committed over twice as many fouls (21) as Mali, an affirmation that, in the absence of structure, desperation is inevitable.

Did Siasia's Dream Team look desperate against Mali?

The lead was also eroded steadily: first Oghenekaro Etebo made a complete hash of a defensive situation, before then proceeding to give away a penalty. In the end, it was all the team could do not to concede a third, Emmanuel Daniel pulling off a splendid save to keep the lead intact.

Thus is the perverse nature of Siasia-ball manifested: his system, while open, relies on partnerships in key areas—full-backs to wingers, the centre-backs, the central midfielders, and a striking tandem. At its best, the football is simple, quick, direct and high on chance creation.

On the night in M’Bour though, none of these partnerships came off successfully: Zahradeen Bello endured a torrid time alongside Segun Oduduwa; neither one of Awoniyi nor Ajayi offered Seth any protection; Etebo put in a disappointing performance playing just off the top man, while there was precious little link-up between Ndifreke Effiong and Dimgba ahead.

Awoniyi | Must improve if Nigeria are to go far in the U23 championship

This multiple-systems failure all over the pitch leaves Siasia with some interesting decisions, but in some way, he has hampered himself in terms of squad personnel choices. The midfield zone, for example, in need of a more circumspect player to tether its footloose wanderings, can call on Godspower Aniefiok, who for all his talent is hardly a model for discipline. This might suggest there are a couple more games of sphincter-clenching, pulse-racing, palm-sweating games to look forward to.

Really though, it is entirely in keeping with the soul of Nigerian football, which even at its peak was never particularly defensive. For all the fine defenders that have graced the Super Eagles, there has always run the undercurrent of the lack of defensive pragmatism. We would rather win 4-3 than 1-0.

Perhaps Siasia’s allure is that he, more than most, understands this.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4082/editorial/2015/12/01/17860282/siasias-rollercoaster-captures-the-essence-of-nigerian?ICID=HP_HN_1
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:40am On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Mali face do-or-die against Algeria
[/size]

The young Eagles during the 2015 AFCON U-23 qualifiers

Algeria and Mali Under-23 national teams will battle in M’Bour on Wednesday, in their second Group B outing of the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations.

The young Eagles began their campaign with a defeat to Nigeria despite a great second-half come-back.

Three goals down at half-time, they managed to pull two back after the break through Adama Niane and Souleymane Sissoko, but that was too little too late for the Malians, who are left with little choice but to get a result against the North Africans.

“We can beat them, but we must avoid the mistakes we made in our first game against Nigeria,” Mali U-23 coach Cheick Oumar Koné said.

Algeria will have slightly less pressure after drawing with Egypt in their tournament opener, courtesy of a 68th minute equaliser from Zinedine Ferhat after Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ had broken the deadlock for the young Pharaohs 12 minutes into the second half.

And Pierre-André Schurmann’s men appear confident ahead of the clash.

“We are all aware that a win against Mali will leave us with four points in the standings, which will boost our chances of qualifying,” Zinedine Ferhat told Le Buteur.

“People seem to play down our chances against Mali, but if we are at our best, neither Mali nor Egypt or any other team will stop us.”

However, Algeria will have to cope in the absence of JS Kabylie midfielder Ahmed Gaâga, who has been ruled out of the rest of the competition after suffering a knee injury against Egypt.

The match will kick off at Stade Caroline Faye at 17h00 CAT on Wednesday 2 December.
http://africanfootball.com/news/589920/Mali-face-do-or-die-against-Algeria
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:40am On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Farmer Blow for South Africa U-23s
[/size]

The South African Under-23 side have suffered a blow ahead of their do-or-die clash against Zambia on Tuesday with news that Denwin Farmer will play no part in the match.

Farmer had to be stretchered off following a clash of heads in the 3-1 defeat to Senegal over the past weekend.

The SuperSport United defender played no part in training on Monday due to a mild concussion which he has failed to recover from.

Owen da Gama's men need to beat Chipolopolo if they are to keep their hopes of qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Games alive.

“It is sad for me not to contribute in the clash against Zambia, I would have loved to play but unfortunately I haven’t recovered fully from my injury," Farmer is quoted as saying in a SAFA media statement.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/589908/Farmer-blow-for-South-Africa-Under-23s
"However, I support my team fully, I have confidence that they will do well. We have great quality in the squad and I know whoever slots into my position will do a good job. We just need to play as a team and we will come out victorious."
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:46am On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Senegal defeat an eye opener - Dolly
[/size]

South Africa U-23's Keagan Dolly

Keagan Dolly is hopeful that the South African Men’s U-23 national team will bounce back from their defeat to Senegal.

Owen da Gama's men clash with Southern African rivals Zambia on Tuesday, where a loss will end their hopes of qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.

The match at the Leopold Senghor Stadium in Dakar, Senegal, will kick-off at 17h00 CAT.

Both teams suffered loses in their respective opening matches of the tournament – South Africa going down 3-1 to the hosts while Zambia were defeated 2-1 by Tunisia.

“Obviously it is disappointing to start a tournament like this especially when we have so much quality in our team, and also because when we started this campaign we were doing well and winning games,” Dolly is quoted as saying in a statement released by SAFA.

“I think the loss was an eye opener for us that the tournament is going to be tough. But we have to regroup. The Zambia match is going to challenge the belief in ourselves and to test if we are really a team. So I think it was good for the team to lose the first game so that we can get our focus correct and start winning games."
http://mtnfootball.com/news/589789/Senegal-defeat-an-eye-opener-Dolly
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by mikron(m): 12:11pm On Dec 01, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

But I see nothing wrond in what Sir TheSuperNerd said, he didn't mean to harm nor bicker, simply the naked truth. That doesn't mean he disrespect elders.

I think he is my kind of person. If you do something I don't like, I just have to find away of telling you, so that we do not keep malice, but live as friends. But before our friendship continues, we have to iron out and resolve issues so as to operate on a better platform.
thats true but i ve not been following the thread for more than a week now so i was surprised coming bck to see @thesupernerd in a bullish mood. i hope the matter is not that serious? lets live as one. PEACE wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 12:15pm On Dec 01, 2015
mikron:
thats true but i ve not been following the thread for more than a week now so i was surprised coming bck to see @thesupernerd in a bullish mood. i hope the matter is not that serious? lets live as one. PEACE wink wink wink

That's true. Case closed.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 3:43pm On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt coach, El-Badry, vows to deny Nigeria Olympic ticket
[/size]
Egypt Under-23 national team coach Hossam El-Badry remains hopeful they will progress to the semifinals of the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations, despite getting their campaign off with a draw against Algeria in their Group B opener in M’Bour on Sunday.
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/egypt-coach-el-badry-vows-to-deny-nigeria-olympic-ticket/el-badry/[/img]
El-Badry
Zamalek winger Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ Abdel-Moneam headed home Mohamed Hani’s free-kick to give the young Pharaohs the lead on 54 minutes, but Algeria levelled matters through USM Alger attacking midfielder Zinedine Ferhat 10 minutes later with the Egyptian keeper Mosaad Awad largely to blame.

“Keeper Awad’s error cost the team a goal but such kind of errors are frequent in football,” El-Badry commented after the match.

“We were close to winning the game, especially in the first half, but we failed to capitalise on our goal-scoring chances.

“We didn’t lose the game. There are two matches remaining in the group phase and we are determined to earn positive results in these games to advance into the semis.”

The Egyptians will be looking to seal their first win of the competition when they take on Nigeria in their second Group B outing tomorrow.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/egypt-coach-el-badry-vows-to-deny-nigeria-olympic-ticket/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by confun: 3:49pm On Dec 01, 2015
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt coach, El-Badry, vows to deny Nigeria Olympic ticket
[/size]
Egypt Under-23 national team coach Hossam El-Badry remains hopeful they will progress to the semifinals of the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations, despite getting their campaign off with a draw against Algeria in their Group B opener in M’Bour on Sunday.
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/egypt-coach-el-badry-vows-to-deny-nigeria-olympic-ticket/el-badry/[/img]
El-Badry
Zamalek winger Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ Abdel-Moneam headed home Mohamed Hani’s free-kick to give the young Pharaohs the lead on 54 minutes, but Algeria levelled matters through USM Alger attacking midfielder Zinedine Ferhat 10 minutes later with the Egyptian keeper Mosaad Awad largely to blame.

“Keeper Awad’s error cost the team a goal but such kind of errors are frequent in football,” El-Badry commented after the match.

“We were close to winning the game, especially in the first half, but we failed to capitalise on our goal-scoring chances.

“We didn’t lose the game. There are two matches remaining in the group phase and we are determined to earn positive results in these games to advance into the semis.”

The Egyptians will be looking to seal their first win of the competition when they take on Nigeria in their second Group B outing tomorrow.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/egypt-coach-el-badry-vows-to-deny-nigeria-olympic-ticket/
[/b]
we will do our own talking on the pitch....

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by linked: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2015
LIVE AND LET LIVE

Easy guys.... You get me cracking sometimes.... You guys are something else... Just so funny
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 4:17pm On Dec 01, 2015
This Egyptian c
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:23pm On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2015 U23 Africa Cup of Nations Egypt U23
Nigeria a win away from U23 AFCON semis
[/size]

Nigeria U23 striker Junior Ajayi (left) has been firing in Senegal

A win over Egypt on Wednesday evening in Mbour will seal Nigeria's qualification to the last four of the U23 AFCON in Senegal as well as set the tone for a 2017 AFCON double-header between the two countries in March.

Nigeria are top of Group B after a 3-2 win over Mali and another three points will guarantee them passage to the knockout stage of the tournament, which also doubles as a qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

“Wins in our first two matches will qualify us for the semi-finals and that is what we are targeting,” declared Nigeria coach Samson Siasia.

But on Sunday Siasia’s team almost marred a bright start to the U23 AFCON when they capitulated in the second half against Mali after going 3-0 up in the first period.

Siasia admitted his Dream Team VI were only lucky to win and move to the top of Group B after Algeria and Egypt played out a 1-1 draw in the first game in Mbour.

Egypt, who are missing key players including Al Ahly midfielder Saleh Gomaa through injury, created the better chances against regional rivals Algeria, but failed to finish off in front of goal.

Both Nigeria and Egypt were to have met in September at the All Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville before the Olympic Pharaohs pulled out so as to focus on the U23 AFCON.

Interestingly, both teams clashed in a final qualifier for the 1996 Olympics which Nigeria narrowly shaded on their way to making history as the first African team to strike Olympic Gold in Atlanta thereafter.

Cash problems aside, Siasia will most certainly ring changes in his defence after a shambolic showing in the second half against Mali on Sunday.

Kano Pillars defender Zaharadeen Bello is most likely to lose his starting place to the more experienced Chizoba Amaefule after he was to blame for Mali’s second goal for ball watching.

Skipper Azubuike Okechukwu also struggled in midfield, but in two-goal hero Junior Ajayi and flying winger Stanley Dimgba Dream Team have two match winners.

Dimgba, for one, showed his performance for league runners-up Warri Wolves this past season was not a fluke as he ripped apart the Malian defence at will on Sunday.

This game could well be a dress rehearsal for next year's AFCON qualifier between Nigeria and Egypt as several players from both sides could still play a role in March.

Kick-off time on Wednesday is 7pm at the Caroline Faye Stadium in Mbour.
africanfootball.com//news/589961/Nigeria-a-win-away-from-U23-AFCON-semis
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Okonkwo okays Dream team win vs Egypt
by Humphrey Njoku
[/size]

Chibuzor Okonkwo

Former Nigeria’s U-23 team right back, Chibuzor Okonkwo has given the side nod to overpower the Pharaohs of Egypt in Wednesday’s match day 2 clash in M’bour at the ongoing U-23 Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal.

The Dream Team VI lead the pack in Group B on three points following Sunday’s match day 1 fixture 3-2 win against the Les Aigles of Mali in M’bour.

Okonkwo said the side hard fought victory against the Malians is the rare tonic the Nigerians need to overcome the hurdle of the Egyptians.

“In any competition first victory matters a lot as it goes a long way to give the side confidence and stability in subsequent matches.

“Now the Nigerians have claimed the three points at the expense of Mali they are better placed to engage the Egyptians in another win.

“I’m 100% certain that Dream Team VI will defeat the Pharaohs as the first win will act as morale boost.

“I won’t say outright that the clash will be difficult or easy but I know for sure that coach Samson Siasia must have watched the Algeria versus Egypt clash to know the right approach for the match.

“Siasia is most likely to get everything right by avoiding the mistakes that saw his side labour to win after taking a convincing 3-0 win against Mali to end the tie on 3-2.

“The team will cement an Olympic ticket on Wednesday after they must have defeated Egypt in M’bour.

“Thereafter the coach will shop for more experienced players to beef up the team for the Olympics proper,” said the Nigerian and FC Ifeanyiubah strongman to supersport.com.

A win against Egypt will be ripe to hand the side a semifinals ticket and closer to clinching one of the three Rio Olympic tickets at the championship in Senegal.

Egypt were held to a 1-1 draw by fellow North African side, Algeria in the group opening match on Sunday.
www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations-u23/news/151201/Okonkwo_okays_Dream_team_win_vs_Egypt
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2015
This Egyptian coach will put his team under pressure , and they will fail come tomorrow .

The dream team is an attacking side but the Egyptian team will have to come out to play so as to get the needed point ,but it will not be easy for them cos of the attacking prowess of d dream team ...although it will be an open game .Egypt can be very deadly at set pieces and their short passes , aside that nothing spectacular , our wing play will put their defense under pressure and to stop the attacking combo of Seth, Etebor ,Mohammed ,Ajayi and Awoniyi will be an Herculean task for them ...another victory on the way for the dream team .

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:32pm On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria game will be tough, says Egypt Olympic team coach
[/size]
After the Nigeria clash, the young Pharaohs will play Mali three days later
[img]http://english.ahram.org.eg/Media/News/2015/12/1/2015-635845741417843049-784.jpg[/img]
Egypt Olympic team with coach Hossam El-Badry during a training session in Sharm El-Shiekh on Friday

Egypt's U-23 manager Hossam El-Badry said he is wary of the strong Nigeria, before they meet on Wednesday in the second game of the U-23 Africa Cup of Nations.

"The Nigeria match will be tough as both teams combine very skilled and talented players and because it's the second game of the tournament," the 55-year-old tactician told the Egyptian Football Association official website on Monday.

After a 1-1 draw against Algeria on Sunday in the opener, the former Ahly manager believes that his side still have a chance in the competition as there are two games remaining in the group phase.

"We need to win the game to keep our hopes of reaching the semi-finals alive in an attempt to win it and snatch the Rio ticket," El-Badry added.

Mahmoud Kahraba gave Hossam El-Badri's side the lead nine minutes after the break, before Zeinedine Ferhat drew the Desert Foxes level in the 68th minute.

"We are working on the players' morale, setting motivations for them so they can close the Algeria game file," he said.
After Nigeria, the young Pharaohs will play Mali three days later.

The top two teams in each group will qualify for the semis in the eight-team tournament.

The first three teams in the final round will represent Africa in the upcoming Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.

Having qualified for the 2012 London Olympics after finishing third in the 2011 Morocco Cup of Nations - the inaugural edition of the continental tournament - the Pharaohs will be eyeing a similar top-three finish in the Senegal edition.

The other group includes hosts Senegal, South Africa, Zambia, and Tunisia.
english.ahram.org.eg/6/NewsContent/6/52/172282/Sports/National-Teams/Nigeria-game-will-be-tough,-says-Egypt-Olympic-tea.aspx
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 01, 2015
grin
I love this thread too much! I can't do without visiting it every hour! The maturity here is outstanding!
We should let bygone by bygone and move on!
Siasia is banking on our comments and analyzes to devise a workable tactic against the Egyptians!
grin
He can't stop refreshing the page(s) and it seems he has not got what he wants!
Goodjoe, Icon4s, Safarigirl, Linked, Mikron, Supernerd, Joseph1013, BlackAlbino6, Terzurum etc
grin
One Love!

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 9:26pm On Dec 01, 2015
adeyemi2015:
grin
I love this thread too much! I can't do without visiting it every hour! The maturity here is outstanding!
Siasia is banking on our comments and analyzes to devise a workable tactic against the Egyptians!
grin
Goodjoe, Icon4s, Safarigirl, Linked, Mikron, Supernerd, Joseph1013, BlackAlbino6, Terzurum etc
grin
One Love!

Good one bro

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:21pm On Dec 01, 2015
Kelechi scores for Man City!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:25pm On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 AFCON: Siasia Set To Make Midfield Changes For Egypt Clash
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Nigeria U-23s coach Samson Siasia is set to make some changes ‎in his midfield ahead of his side's second Africa U-23 Cup of Nations group game against Egypt on Wednesday, a team source has revealed to Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

Siasia who ‎is out to secure his side's place in the last four with a win against the young Pharoahs was not satisfied with the performance of his midfield duo of Okey Azubuike and Usman Mohammed who‎ looked jaded in the second half and his defence line.

"The coach was not happy with the performance of the team especially in the second half and he's pondering changing a few in midfield and defence for the game against Egypt," the source told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"But you know most times these coaches may want to stick to their winning team."
Nigeria ‎currently lead group B with three points followed by Algeria and Egypt in second and third spots with one point each.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-afcon-siasia-set-midfield-egypt-clash/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:26pm On Dec 01, 2015
Nacho does it again.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2015
80'Goal Kelechi Promise Iheanacho
GOOOOOOOOOOAL! IHEANACHO MAKES IT 2-0! The substitute manages to turn home a close-range finish, after a curling delivery in from the left-hand side! That looks to be that from the Etihad!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:30pm On Dec 01, 2015
80'Assist Raheem Shaquille Sterling
Substitute combines with substitute, as the England international drives a low cross towards the edge of the six-yard box!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 AFCON: Echiejile Cautions Eagles Against “Switching Off” Vs Egypt
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
AS Monaco defender Elderson Echiejile ‎is convinced the Nigerian U-23 team will qualify for next year's Olympics football event in Rio but has warned them against 'switching off' during games.

The Samson Siasia-led side survived a late comeback from the Mali ‎in their opening Africa U-23 Cup of Nations game on Sunday to begin their quest for an Olympic ticket with a 3-2 win and the former U-17 and U-20 star says more attention should be given to the Young Pharaohs on Wednesday.

"The Nigerian players have one of the best coaches to lead them so I'm confident they will qualify for the Olympics," Echiejile who missed the 2008 Beijing Olympics told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"But they must also kill off the game as soon as they can and avoid switching off when they have an advantage."

‎A win for the U-23 Eagles in Wednesday's game at the Caroline Faye Stadium will see them qualify for the semi-finals and Echiejile wants the team not to resr on their oars.

"They need to win their semi-final game to seal the ticket for Rio and until that is achieved the must not relent," he added.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-afcon-echiejile-cautions-eagles-switching-off-egypt/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by mikron(m): 10:42pm On Dec 01, 2015
adeyemi2015:
grin
grin
grin
One Love!
One Love bro, ur predictions for 2mrws match, i predict 2 goals to 1 in our favour

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:59pm On Dec 01, 2015
80 minGOAL! Manchester City 2-0 Hull City (Kelechi Iheanacho)

80 minIt's surely all over now as Iheanacho finds the back of the net to give City a two-goal cushion. The Nigerian makes a superb run into the box to meet Sterling's low cross and has the simple task of guiding the ball into the net from just a few yards out.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 11:02pm On Dec 01, 2015
mikron:
One Love bro, ur predictions for 2mrws match, i predict 2 goals to 1 in our favour
Let me go with 3 goals to nil grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by mikron(m): 11:31pm On Dec 01, 2015
adeyemi2015:

Let me go with 3 goals to nil grin
egypt are a tactical side any day, i would go with a slim scoreline in our favour wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.